  Iomega Tape Accellerator ("Don Hickey")
  File Transfer by Null Modem Cord HOWTO (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Shell script questions... (John Savage)
  Linux Jobs for Thursday, 12-04-01 22:33:10 EDT  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: up2date -- broken ("Jeffrey J. Bacon")
  Re: sendmail queue (Floyd Davidson)
  ls and ps quit working except under root ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (Rob)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: BIOS Upgrades (Was: Via + Maxtor + kernel 2.4.3 = crash?)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:28:02 GMT

In <9b58du$h6c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Ng:

[Snip...]

>Did you try http://www.ping.be/bios/index.html ? Found it using Google a
>while back when upgrading a BIOS.

Thanks for that polite tip; I do not recall this one at all from about two
weeks ago (?) myself. Lotta water under the Google bridge, though.

[Snip...]

>I'd think it's RAM related. Try just running the new sticks alone and see
>if that brings up the kernel panic.

Thanks again and I think my first order of business will be to try out the
slrn "author kill" tip "burk" had in his post as well.

Oh, happy day; possibly two birds with one stone, as it were.

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Manually create a resuce disk
Date: 13 Apr 2001 00:52:43 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:29:11 +0100, Tim Banner staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>Up to date I've been using the SuSE rescue system incase of boot
>problems.  However I was wondering how to manually create a boot
>disk/rescue disk.  (I'm taking a guess it will run over multiple
>floppies).  What would be the most useful tools to have on such a
>series of disks.

http://www.toms.net/rb/ is the most useful set of tools in the general
case.  However, it does *NOT* have reiserfs support at the moment;
there's only so much you can fit on a 1.7M floppy.  Bug Tom? :-)

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html is a good place for
general information.  If you want to get everything you're likely to
need, you will need 2 disks:  One boot, and one 1.7M root containing the
gzipped RAMdisk.  Building your own root/boot is a bit like carving a
miniature walrus out of ivory using only a chainsaw.

>This was an easy task under Windows 9x (not NT or 2k), just system format
>a disk, put on a set of CD-ROM drivers and a series of system tools and
>fav' DOS text editors.  Seems to be a little more under Linux.

A root/boot must contain the kernel, a shell, a bunch of device files,
and a surprising number of small programs and files.  "sash" and/or
"busybox" may prove useful.  Also check the Linuxcare Bootable Rescue
System, http://open-projects.linuxcare.com/BBC/ , if you have a CD-R(W)
handy.  Not only is it a rescue system, you can install Debian with
it....

>Just as a side question... My SuSE rescue disks seem to give me root
>access to all files on any device.  Does this mean that anybody with a
>bootdisk and physical access to my PC can view/modify my documents?

DING!  Give this man a see-gar!  If evil idiots can physically access
your machine, that machine is not secure.  You can set a BIOS password
and make the machine only boot from the hard disk, then lock the case
with a good padlock and chain the machine to something large and heavy.
University computer labs often do this.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: killing a process
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:02:33 -0400

Mladen Gavrilovic wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> > Look at it in top and see if its STAT is D. If so, the only way to
> > kill it is to reboot, unless you can make whatever device it is
> > waiting for let go. Sometimes waiting an hour or so will do it,
> > because there are some very long timeouts in there for some devices.
>
> It's STAT is R.  Here's the complete line:
> 1747 root      16   0    80    4     4 R    94.9  0.0   6:38 cdda2wav

I see no reason why kill -9 1747, run by root, would not terminate
that process. Since I assume you have tried that, I am as mystified as
you are.

> > I have that problem with a tape drive, and the MT command alludes to
> > changing the timeouts to more realistic values. Unfortunately, the MT
> > command does not accept the arguments required.
>
> What is the MT command?  Which package is it it a part of?

I hope I did not confuse you by typing mt in upper case. I just wanted
it to stand out a little more. I would have used bold, but html
posting on this newsgroup is deprecated. In any case, if you run a Red
Hat based system, it is in:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ rpm -qf /bin/mt
mt-st-0.5b-7
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

There is a manual page for it. man mt

In my case, the process does not hog the CPU; it just gets into state
D and never progresses, never unlocks the file, etc. I must reboot to
regain control of the tape drive. Since it also happens with hard
drives on a different controller when I run rpm sometimes, I have
reduced my belief that it is a tape drive (or its SCSI controller)
problem. I have run lots of memory tests, including several hours of
memtest86, I suspect memory errors less and less. The memory is 100MHz
ECC SDRAM.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: sendmail queue
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:12:32 -0400

Jan Johansson wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:00:56 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Bacon"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >where is the sendmail queue for outgoing messages stored?
>
> /var/spool/mqueue
>
> >is there any
> >way to force sendmail to re-run it's queue
>
> No, not really.

It depends on what the O.P. meant. You can, if root, certainly run

/usr/sbin/sendmail -q

and try right away to process the stuff remaining in the queue. If the
stuff has already been sent, of course, there is no need to do it
again, and it will no longer be in /var/spool/mqueue. man sendmail
should help with this if you have no access to the Bat Book.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 9:05pm up 11 days, 3:54, 3 users, load average: 2.13, 2.12, 2.09

------------------------------

From: "zendog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: SuSE 7.0 Partitioning
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:11:34 -0500

I am trying to install SuSE 7.0 on my machine that has Windows 98 on it.  I
have set aside a partition for SuSE.  No matter if I do the text or
graphical install SuSE will not find my Windows 98 partition.  Has this
happened for anyone else and is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
Todd

------------------------------

From: "exon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: proftpd problem
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:48:37 -0230

am having some problems with proftpd, I have it all set up and running but
I can't seem to set it up so poeple can upload.Any suggestions would be
great.And I am running RH 7.0 proftpd 1.2.0rc3.
Have in the conf file :
<Global>
.
.
<Directory /uploads>
        <Limit STOR>
                AllowAll
        </Limit>
</Directory>
.
.
</Global>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: NTFS: Can it be mounted in linux?
Date: 13 Apr 2001 01:28:24 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:51:47 -0500, Albert Goins staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I was wondering if it is possible to mount my Windows 2000 NTFS drive
>in Linux.

Probably, but if you value your data and sanity, mount it READ-ONLY.
Also note that 2K made some (undocumented) changes to the way NTFS is
handled at the low level.  Search the Linux NGs using
http://groups.google.com/ for "NTFS" and see what the community has to
say.

>Also, I have been out of the Linux scene for a while.  I was thinking
>of installing Red Hat.  Is there a preferable or more popular
>distribution?  Pros?  Cons?  FreeBSD?

I would not recommend RedHat 7.0 to anyone, based on the buzz from
newsgroups and my own experience.  6.2 would be OK, but I really don't
like the "user private groups" thing RedHat does.  I'd say SuSE 7.1 or
Mandrake 7.2.  If you have the drive space, try FreeBSD too!  It looks
realtively neat, and I'd have installed it months ago were it not for
this @#$%ing 56K dialup making it difficult to grab the ISO.

From: "Don Hickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Iomega Tape Accellerator
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:28:51 -0500

Can anyone help me to get Mandrake 7.2 to recognize this card?

Is there a way in Linux to "generate" a device: ie, supply the IRQ, i/o
address, and DMA manually to the system and in that way cause the system to
support it?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: File Transfer by Null Modem Cord HOWTO
Date: 13 Apr 2001 01:53:17 GMT

For those looking for cheap easy connectivity between your Linux laptop and a
non-Linux desktop, a null modem cable is hard to beat.

First step: Make sure your non-Linux computer has a terminal programme that
can transfer files and a serial port.

Second step: Make sure the Linux box has mgetty installed and a free serial
port.

Third step: Buy the null modem cord and attach to both computers in the
obvious way.

Fourth step: Fire up the two boxes, and on the Linux box, login as root with
any old virtual terminal and type in "mgetty -s 115200 -r /dev/ttyS0" (for COM1
/dev/ttyS1 for COM2, etc.) On the other box, fire up a terminal programme and
use it to connect and login. I use VT100 emulation for this.

Fifth step: Enjoy!

If you have a laptop and havn't found out which networking cards to use with
it, this method can be used in a pinch for cheap file transfer. It'll be slow
for big tarballs, however.

With one of them BBS type serial port cards with the octapus cords, you can
have a terminal server desktop serving a bunch of laptops in an office. Even
better is to set up PPP with Slurp for Windows clients.

CAUTION: While the command line mgetty bit works, it works for _one_ login per
running of the command. That means you need some mechanism of looping it so
when a logout occurs, it's rerun automagically for the next person to login
with. You get to make a daemon.

Many people accomplish the above with agetty but that has the problem of
auto-respawning causing stderr messages showing up on the console. Since I
don't know how to stop the respawning, I prefer the mgetty method. The man
page for mgetty is straightforward for command line arguments to run it to
transfer files.

Besides laptop file transfers, it can be used to transfer files between all
the other OSes, so long as they have a term proggie and support a null modem
cord. Config Slurp, and you have the null modem PPP.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: John Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.lang.awk
Subject: Re: Shell script questions...
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:54:14 GMT

"MEYER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> <snip> my file is like:
>ERROR at line 1:
>  ORA-230:Table or view doesn't exist
>Display 'TS':
>  Display view not visible!
>That's means I need to check all ERROR and Display line and print them +
>print the second line!

>> > As anyone a idea how can I make the sed script for ERROR OR Display?
>> > is it like : sed -n '/ERROR || Display/,/^/p' ??? but it doesn't

You received solutions using awk, and here is one using sed:

sed '/ERROR/bo;/Display/!d;:o;N' data

The N collects that second line. It is easy to add an ^ anchor in the
regex if desired, e.g., /^Display/.

Some seds require that the above be broken up into more than one argument,
so bear that in mind should you get unaccountable error messages. One sed
even demanded a space before the label, i.e., .../Display/!d; :o;N' data
--
John Savage            (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Jobs for Thursday, 12-04-01 22:33:10 EDT
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:33:12 GMT

For more information on these positions and more:  http://mojolin.com/search/jobs.php

Position: Unix System Administrator
Company: Anshin HRC
Location:  Virginia-Richmond
Salary:  Negotiable , $80K - 90K Per Year
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1295&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Senior Unix Administrator
Company: Ideas and Associates
Location:  Quebec
Salary:  Negotiable
View Full Posting:

http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1294&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: IT Manager
Company: TMP Worldwide
Location:  Romania
Salary:  Negotiable
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1293&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: VP of Engineering
Company: Independent
Location:  California-San Francisco
Salary:  Negotiable
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1292&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Territory Sales Manager
Company: Lucas Group
Location:  Telecommute
Salary:  $125K - $150K Per Year
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1291&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Software release engineer
Company: Spherion
Location:  California-Oakland/East Bay
Salary:  $80K - 90K Per Year
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1290&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Software Engineer/ E-Commerce Developer/ Technical Director
Company: Artisan Network
Location:  Texas-Houston
Salary:  Negotiable
View Full Posting:

http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1289&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Software Engineer - Super Cluster I/O Systems
Company: Cray Inc.
Location:  Washington-Seattle
Salary:  Negotiable , $50K - 60K Per Year , $60K - 70K Per Year
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1288&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Embedded Optics Developers
Company: CCS Solutions
Location:  California-Los Angeles , California-San Diego , California-San Francisco ,
California-San Jose , Georgia-Atlanta , Illinois-Chicago , Massachusetts-Boston , New
Jersey-Northern , New Jersey-Southern , New York-Buffalo , New York-Long Island , New
York-New York City , Texas-Austin
Salary:  $70K - 80K Per Year , $80K - 90K Per Year , $90K - $100K Per Year , $100K -
$125K Per Year , $125K - $150K Per Year , $150K - $175K Per Year , $175K - $200K Per
Year
View Full Posting:
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1287&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Position: Systems Level Developers
  http://mojolin.com/search/view_jobs.php?hiddenid=1286&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: up2date -- broken
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:46:11 GMT

> >My up2date progam will not run.  This is what it gives when I type
> >'up2date':
> >
> >Traceback (innermost last):
> >  File "usr/sbin/up2date", line 9, in ?
> >    import rpm
> >ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/rpmmodule.so: undefined
> >symbol: rpmSetVerbosity
>
> Have you upgraded to rpm 4 yet?

Yes

> >I have tried updating to 2.4.4-1 but that seems to be broken.  Now RPM
> >says (on a -V) that "up2date-gnome-2.4.4-1.i386.rpm is not installed"
> >but when I goto install it (-i) it says it is installed.  Even when I
> >use --force, -V still reports it as not installed.
> Oh how it tries...
>
> If you're updating, use rpm -Uv packagename  ....
> If the problem persists, try issuing rpm --rebuilddb, to rebuild the rpm
> database.

Still no luck

--
Jeffrey Bacon
Java Programmer Extrordinaire!

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 12 Apr 2001 18:06:25 -0800

Jan Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:00:56 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Bacon"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>where is the sendmail queue for outgoing messages stored?
>
>/var/spool/mqueue
>
>>is there any
>>way to force sendmail to re-run it's queue
>
>No, not really.

When the -q option is given with no parameter, the queue
is processed immediately.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ls and ps quit working except under root
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:46:24 -0400

I just fixed a few problems with my RedHat 7.0 setup related
to hostname and fstab and now everything is fine except that
when I type ls or ps I get no output.  Under root, I get the
correct output on the same directories I tried under user.
I have not changed directory permissions or
ls or ps executables.  Has anyone seen anything like that?
--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences

------------------------------

From: Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:55:31 -0400

paul beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>> a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
>> developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>> computer for programming and testing.
>Ever tried VMware?

Depending on what he's doing, user mode linux might be fine as
well.  Not to mention a little cheaper.

Rob

[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://kudla.org/raindog