Linux-Misc Digest #722, Volume #24                Mon, 5 Jun 00 21:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Where can i get XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Bash Scripting (George Walford)
  Re: Mandrake 7 setup question (George Walford)
  Re: CAUTION: I am under attack from an incompetent hacker probably in  germany (Mike
Albaugh)
  Re: pctel 'linmodem' driver with 2.2.15 problem (lobotomy)
  Re: Where can i get XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm ? (Tranceport)
  Re: What does "Unix-like" mean? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How to turn off the build-in screenblanker of linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Many questions and much dissatisfaction (Wildman)
  Re: Many questions and much dissatisfaction (Wildman)
  Re: @@How Can I Split (move) FILE $@$@$@@@ (William Wueppelmann)
  XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm vs XBF-i740-libc5-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Assorted beginner difficulties. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to set safe screen more than 7 minutes
  Re: FTP in GNOME file manager? [gmc 4.5.50, Helix GNOME 1.2.1] (D. D. Brierton)
  Re: samba troubles (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: no sound from audio CDs in SuSE6.4 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Connect Linux to internet with DCHP? (Akira Yamanita)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Where can i get XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm ?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:57:23 GMT

I am having problems with X-Windows.

I have installed RedHat 6.1 workstation.
I am using the X-Server : XBF-i740-libc5-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
I have a Dell Inspiron 3000
with Pentium MMX 266 MHZ and 64MB RAM
Video Controller is NeoMagic 2160 with 2MB memory
(128 bit accelerated...),Type - TFT SVGA with maximum resolution
at 800x600 pixels;16 million colors.

My X-Window looks fine.However it occupies only 3/4th of my screen
giving me an 8 bpp depth.When i run it under 16bpp it does not
work.

I keep reading about success with the server which comes with
XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm.

However i do not seem to find it anywhere.

All the links pointing to it does not work anymore.
Even the Redhat site does not seem to have it.

Could someone direct me to a site where i can get this package ?
or advice me where i am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Babu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Walford)
Subject: Bash Scripting
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:14:42 GMT

I need to write a BASH script that autoupdates a few FTP servers. It
takes the files from a "hidden" FTP server and copies all the files
that have been altered or added in the last 24 hours over to the 4 ftp
sites.
Finding the altered/new files should not be hard as I can use the find
command and some of its arguments to identify the files.

This would be placed in a BASH script that cron would execute every
night at midnight so that it uploaded the new files to the servers.

I have no problem invoking the FTP program as I have <b>.netrc</b>
configured so that FTP needs not enter the passwords.

The problem is passing arguments to FTP automatically. How can I send
arguments to FTP for uploading?

For example:

FTP ftp.fptserver1
"put /dir/new_files/new.file"
"exit"
FTP ftp.ftpserver2
"put /dir/new_files/dos_files/*"
"exit"

I should be able to automate the script with FTP macros. However I am
currently haveing a hell of a time with them. I can use the macdef
command to generate them, but I currently cannot get FTP to execute
them.

I try:
ftp $ macro
and I get:
Bad port name.

Now if I can only figure out how to invoke the macro while in a
script... (It seems that the macros will generate but will refuse to
execute. I have to type:
FTP <return>
$ <macro-name>
This involves a manual intervention which I am trying to avoid.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Walford)
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7 setup question
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:18:52 GMT

On 5 Jun 2000 23:36:28 GMT, jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)
wrote:

>If I let Mandrake set itself up semi-automatically (i.e. no "expert"
>mode), will I still be able to stick lilo somewhere else than on the
>MBR of the root partition, like /dev/hda6? I use OS/2's Boot Manager
>as my primary booting tool, and it is now set up to boot lilo off the
>linux partition. I would be seriously p*ssed off if Mandrake were to
>overwrite Boot Manager.
>
>Karel Jansens
>jansens_at_attglobal_dot_net
>"We seem to be made to suffer. It is our lot in life."
>C3P0 - 'Star Wars IV, a New Hope'

I dont know if the OS/2 boot manager will detect Linux, but I know
that LILO boots many different OS/s. The version of LILO that comes
with mandrake 7.0 must be within the first 1024 cylinders to function
properly. There is a new verion of LILO out that overcomes this limit.
You would be best off to upgrade your version of LILO. In the
meantime, use a boot disk to start LILO and Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Albaugh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: CAUTION: I am under attack from an incompetent hacker probably in  germany
Date: 5 Jun 2000 23:20:17 GMT

Tom Hoffmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:55:15 GMT, Roger Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:36:00 -0230, FellowTraveller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >>Your approach is kinda backward IMHO.  HTML, Java and XML formatting has a
: >>place in the new world of the Internet.  Just because you support legacy
: >
: >That's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned the Net is a text-only
: >medium. I have no need for silly cartoons and sound effects with my
: >information.
: >
: >--
: >  Roger Blake
: >  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

: Unfortunately, the pervasive view seems to be that the Net is
: for entertainment rather than for information ... and I fear
: it is only going to get worse.

        Well, once "they" really build the fat-pipes needed to carry
a few hundred channels of nude [fe]male mud-wrestling in HDTV with
surround-sound on-demand, "we" can sneak pretty much all of UseNet
into a minscule fraction of it. With appropriate use of steganography,
we could probably hide a fair-decent newsfeed just in what looks like
chroma-crawl on a few hokey-looking web-cam sites. That would be the
pre-green-card-lawyers UseNet, of course.

        Might be an interesting project for some students. And
apologies to anybody who is actually doing this, for bringing it
up.

                                        Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (lobotomy)
Subject: Re: pctel 'linmodem' driver with 2.2.15 problem
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:22:44 GMT

Yeah I did.  Actually I have it working now under 2.2.14, with the
exact same .config as I had with 2.2.15.   Now I'm really confused...

------------------------------

From: Tranceport <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Where can i get XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm ?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:24:41 GMT

As far as I know Red Hat hasn't come out with a rpm for the new version
of Xfree.If you know about it, please let me know.
In the meanwhile I found out that unlike Microsoft, with Linux you have
to read the documentation.

For example I choose the Libc21 version only because it 'sounded' right.

Guess what: in the documentation it clearly says that if you want to
find out the version you have to install you type

sh Xinstall.sh -check

and it gives you the version (libc21 in my case, phew!).

This deserves a big DOH! on my part. I know, I know... I suck at Linux.
I am a newbie after all...

Also, after installing this stuff you have to run:

XFree86 -configure

which tells you what to do next...

I'm kinda finding out this things as I go. I will resist the temptation
of simply reformattin and reinstalling that is what I would do if the
same happened while I was working with windows...

:)

methinks I'm having fun trying to make this work...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What does "Unix-like" mean?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:34:02 GMT

Andrew E. Schulman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Why is Linux often referred to as a "Unix-like" operating system, as
> opposed to just a flavor of Unix?  Is this some silly copyright problem?

Yes. In order to be officially called unix, a large fee has to be paid, and
the OS has to be officially tested. (I think).

> As a user, I find Linux to be a flavor of Unix, no more or less.

More or less, it is... Legally, it's anything BUT...
:)
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED],uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E--  W+ N++ o+ K PS+ w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to turn off the build-in screenblanker of linux?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:34:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] did eloquently scribble:
> Appologies for barging in on this, but have the same problem and am still
> looking.
> I had a look at setterm since in my case , I do not have X installed

> What so I set so that it does not turn off the screen ?

setterm -powersave off

should do the trick.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wildman)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.graphics.rendering.renderman,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Many questions and much dissatisfaction
Date: 5 Jun 2000 23:11:26 GMT

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 19:33:59 GMT, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think mutt and slrn are the best.  They're included in most
>distributions.

How do you keep procmail from making the email it processes unreadable by
mutt?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wildman)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.graphics.rendering.renderman,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 5 Jun 2000 22:53:08 GMT

=====BEGIN PGP MESSAGE=====
Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)

owE1kLFLQlEUxl+KBA8inIKmUwQSvB6vxEEJC0JEQ0ryH3h6j3rxea7ce18PW1oa
Ggoc2xyjua0gWoKgqai2tqB2/4GumsM5fBz4ft/HGSzErVhytJY423h435t7eRzU
rey2NzggqAhywMtAOSTY8jwPNrO5dDqXyUKxUnOgKH3SUGCRL5mC7RbukojaKNEl
QZiHSAqNOTtfAt3m1IFuqDX4xEAFksCXaO4IdVTaBai1sZ8yJ06NIGTIjICuUNrO
M6605PVQc0HKte2jHvodTi0QzQnSASagL0LomHhom9ECGoKavBUaYE+KRtfnAShh
8nw9rRHxILCVNtsUAL8e4NglsSFaxE+mzXBs24GSBoXYVVN3ZBYeo4QJcwa3xwKV
QuX88wWlNIgekmuf5+OJyUtnT07Gfpl19Vq+XF6pvJ0uXT/Fqos3d7LwYw2DefZ1
sX/f/7g9HJWqq8Pvz+f1Pw==
=Y/nK
=====END PGP MESSAGE=====

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: @@How Can I Split (move) FILE $@$@$@@@
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:08:07 GMT

In our last episode (Sun, 04 Jun 2000 17:30:27 GMT),
the artist formerly known as [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>I have 2 OS's in my computer.
>One is WIN98SE, other one is REDHAT 6.2
>When I downloaded A LIUNX file at WIN98SE,
>But that file is bigger then floppy disk.
>So. How can I move that file into linux??
>Please help me.

You could install CYGWin on your Windows system (www.cygnus.com) and use
split to split the file into floppy-sized chunks and then use
cat on your Linux machine to put it back together.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm vs XBF-i740-libc5-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:58:20 GMT

Which is the newer version ?

XBF-i740-libc5-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
or
XBF-neomagic-glibc-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

The former seems to be the newer version as it is bundled with Redhat
6.1
However the latter seems to work better from what i find on the web.

Advice

Thanks in advance

Babu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Assorted beginner difficulties.
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:59:30 GMT

  Thanks for that Gerald, here is the latest. The binary module
released by Lucent for the WinModem is apparently compiled for Redhat
6.1. Does somebody know what version of the kernel that release uses? I
am trying to use the module for my Corel Linux kernel version 2.2.12.
When I enter

insmod -f ltmodem.o

a warning states that the ltmodem.o module is compiled for version
2.2.12-20. Shouldn't the -f switch cause the module to be inserted
anyway, but all that happens is a load of undefined symbols as
mentioned earlier. Gerald has told me that insmod can only insert
modules of the same version. Does this mean that I have to use a new
kernel? I only installed Linux for the first time a couple of days ago
and I haven't been able to find documentation on how to replace the
kernel. My Linux instalation is running in a Windows partition, can
anybody help me insert this module or give me advise on how to upgrade
the kernel please?

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to set safe screen more than 7 minutes
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:52:12 +0700

I forget where to set screen shut down.
Please reply by e-mail.

Regards,
supat

=CA=D8=BE=D1=B5=C3=EC =BF=E9=D2=C3=D8=E8=A7=CA=D2=A7 (supat faarungsang)   =
 Kasetsart Univ., Nakorn Pathom,
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://sss.agri.kps.ku.ac.th/
office: (034)351892  home: (034)351843                   fax: (02)5791120
mobile: (01)4127930                            lab:(034)281053-6 ext 3434
voicechat: http://supat.dhs.org/ttt.html            or http://go.to/supat
=A4=C7=D2=C1=B4=D5=A4=B9=E0=C3=D2=B9=D5=E8=B4=D5=E3=B4 =B4=D5=B9=D3=E9=E3=
=A8 =B7=D5=E8=E3=CB=E9=E1=A1=E8=A4=B9=B7=D1=E9=A7=BB=C7=A7                 =
         :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. D. Brierton)
Subject: Re: FTP in GNOME file manager? [gmc 4.5.50, Helix GNOME 1.2.1]
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:25:48 GMT

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:30:46 GMT, ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > ftp.redhat.com was just an example. What I meant was that I can't connect to any
> > FTP sites at all using gmc. In fact, as far as I can tell, it doesn't even try.
>
>     Yes, I suspect this: I have used this feature a lot, and while reading your post
> ftp'd in GMC to sunsite and gnome, but NOT to redhat. Maybe this is what is
>happening.
> That site is nearly always user limited, and you can't get in. GMC has no way of
> notifying you of that. It APPEARS to have "hung up" or "not be trying", etc. when in
> reality it has gotten a notice that there are "too many users" etc. Maybe the coders
> could give us something in the command line of GMC that says that, preventing the
> confusion, perhaps. Bear in mind that all this is supposition, perhaps others could
> help us with this. --

The problem is definitely with gmc and not with the site. If I open a
terminal and ftp to ftp.cogsci.ed.ac.uk I have no problems whatsoever.
If I then immediately try in gmc nothing happens. I hit return and the
Location Bar instantly switches back to the address of the local
directory gmc is open at.

I have scoured the documentation and the preferences in gmc to no avail.
This also happens whether I am logged in as root or as an ordinary user.
I even created a new test account an let my new version of GNOME (Helix
1.2.1) create totally fresh default configuration, and ftp from gmc
doesn't work in that account either.

One thing that occurs to me: mcserv is not running. But I thought that
mcserv was so users of other machines could browse *my* filesystem. Does
mcserv have to be running for gmc to be able to ftp to *other* machines?
(Other VFSs work by the way: I can click on tar and rpm files and their
contents open as if they were directories. Its just ftp that won't
work.)
D. D. Brierton, Centre for Cognitive Science, University of Edinburgh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba troubles
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:35:54 GMT

Geoff Sullivan wrote:

> Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Are you certain that no PPP connection is made or are you just not
> > able to access anything on the Internet? If ICS assigns the default
> > route via DHCP, you need to remove the default route before bringing
> > up PPP. "route del default" Make sure that you have "defaultroute"
> > in /etc/ppp/options. Try bringing up the PPP interface again. Run
> > "ifconfig" to make sure everything worked and then type "route -n"
> > to make sure that the route to 0.0.0.0 is through ppp0.
>
> Tried your suggestions and now I'm *in* !! Color me *happy*!

Cool. Can you see Penguin in the Network Neighborhood too?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: no sound from audio CDs in SuSE6.4
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:35:15 GMT

Hi there!

I had the same problem with my Sb16.. Actually, I don't know if it is a
real Sb16.. I think it is a clone of some sort since I don't see any SB
logos anywhere on my card. Now, on with the problem : I could hear wavs
but no CD music (except in Windows {shudder} ). Then I looked in windows
and saw that I had SB16 drivers and Windows Sound System drivers too. So
then I used sndconfig (redhat) under linux and configured my sound card
to use the windows sound system drivers. Voila :)

If this helps, here is part of the mess I got in my isapnp.conf file :

#     ANSI string -->CMI8330 Audio Adapter<--
 (CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 0
    [io irq fun stuff here]
 (CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 1
    [io irq fun stuff here]
 (CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 2
    [io irq fun stuff here]
 (CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 3
    [io irq fun stuff here]

When I run sndconfig, it autodetects as a CMI8330, but I had some
difficulties setting it up with that config. Its probably just me.
Anyway, WSS works fine, and the way I see it, this card is compatible
with SB16 and WSS (but its a wild guess). Hope this helps!

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Connect Linux to internet with DCHP?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 01:06:55 GMT

feng chen wrote:

> Thanks, Akira.
>
> I used "ps ax | grep pump" and found that the "pump -i eth0" process
> is still there even though the initialiation of eth0 is failed.
> I then followed your instructions and that from the home page dhcpcd.html
> to modify the ifup and ifdown scripts. After that, I started "ifup eth0",
> but the command still failed.
>
> I then checked /var/log/messages and found following info:
>
> "localhost dhcpcd[pid]: time out in waiting for a valid DHCP response."
>
> When I use "ifconfig", I can see only lo and eth1. If I use "ifconfig -a",
> I can see lo, eth0 and eth1.
>
> The files /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are almost blank. I suppose
> DHCPcd will fill them with the new IP address and nameserver etc. Is this
> right? Or I should put IP of nameserver and DHCP server in some files?
>
> Do you think if following way will work?
> Start Windows 98, connect to the network, then use winipcfg to get those
> information such as IP, nameserver, DNS, WINS and gateway. Then shutdowm
> windows 98 and start Linux, configure interface eth0 using above data, then
> reboot the computer. If we assume during this time period, no other computer
> will take that IP address away, will this connect the Linux to the network?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Feng

dhcpcd will fill in whatever information it recieves from the DHCP
server. Whatever DHCP client you use, get the latest version of it.

Also, try leaving the device name blank (ie. don't specify eth0
or eth1). Give them both private IPs and then sort out which NIC
is which. Note the MAC addresses of each NIC so this will be
easier to do.

As long as you're dual-booting, getting the IP address in Windows
should work fine. Just make sure that you renew the IP lease
before it's up or your IP address may change. Read the Cable Modem
Providers HOWTO. There are links to sites that specifically deal
with getting Linux working with RR.