From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can I delete blank line?
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:36:25 -0500

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, choi jinhyuk quoth:

cj> I wana delete all blank lines .
cj> succeded in searching like this
cj> %s/^$//g
cj> but blank line was not deleted. how can I?
cj> and how can I do it in sed and using grep?
cj> thanks

:g/^$/d                            - vi
sed -e '/^$/d' file                - sed
grep -v '^$' file                  - grep
perl -wne '/^$/||print' file       - perl
awk '!/^$/ { print $0 }' fle       - awk

anm
--
BEGIN { $\ = $/; $$_ = $_ for qw~ just another perl hacker ~ }
my $J = sub { return \$just }; my $A = sub { return \$another };

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Removing duplicate lines from a text file
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:55:43 -0500

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Akira Yamanita quoth:

AY> Fester wrote:
AY> >
AY> > I could've sworn grep or cat had a way to do this, but I'm not seeing it
AY> > on their man pages.
AY> >
AY> > What's the way to do this?
AY>
AY> A search on http://google.com/linux on "duplicate lines" turned this
AY> up.
AY>
AY> cat filename | perl -ne 'print unless ($seen{$_}++)'
AY>
AY> You could just redirect the output back into the file.
AY>
AY> cat filename | perl -ne 'print unless ($seen{$_}++)' > filename

perl -pi.bak -e '$seen{$_}++ && s~.*~~s' file

Useless use of cat. :-)  Just use -i to do an inplace edit.
The .bak after the -i tells perl to copy the file to file.bak
before making any changes.  So you get a backup and an edit
in one command, now thats a good deal. :-)

anm

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 19:00:52 +1200
From: Peter Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Zip 100 Parallel Port Drive

I am running RedHat 6.2 on one machine and 6.0 on another. Both machines
have Zip 100 parallel port drives connected. The RH 6.2 machine has Win
98 on another partition and the RH 6.0 machine has NT 4.0 Workstation on
the other partition.

My problem is that the Zip drives work fine with Win 98, NT 4.0 and
RedHat 6.0, and I have tried swapping the drives from one machine to the
other and the result is the same. Module imm refuses to load on RedHat
6.2 ( Linux Kernel 2.2.14-5.0). I get the same error message whether I
use insmod or modprobe, i.e.:-

"imm: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.0.0)
 scsi: 0 hosts
 /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/scsi/imm.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy"

This is all strange territory to me, but does it mean that the wrong
version of imm.o is provided with RedHat 6.2? If so, how do I obtain the
correct version?

Then maybe I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick altogether.

Peter Rodriguez
Auckland, New Zealand

"Give me the bazaar every time"

------------------------------

From: "jncash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: Re: M$ Windows ME too slow like W2K?
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:04:15 GMT

How much memory you have?
"Jonas Poyaoan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> My mom got me a eMachine etower|566i2 yesterday with M$ Windows Me from
> BestBuy.  It's running like W2K, very slow.  What if I'll have it returned
> and replace OS with Windows 98?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wish for a writable ISO-9660 compatible filsystem
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 21:40:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system Otto Wyss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: While I was reorganizing my backup (using a CD-writer), I had the idea
: of using an ISO-9660 image file mounted through the loopback device.  I
: soon had to learn it won't work the way I liked since ISO-9660 is simply
: readonly.

But there's no law that says you MUST use an ISO9660 filesystem on a
CD! You can write any old filesystem you like, as long as you're willing
to live with the hit that you can read it only on systems that understand
that type of filesystem. For example, SCO used to distribute old Skunkware
CDROMs with one of their own filesystems burned on it.

So, you should be able to create, e.g., a EXT2 loopback filesystem, fill
it up to 650 megs total filesystem size then burn it into a CD. Having
done that you SHOULD be able to mount it (with "-r") like any other
EXT2 filesystem.

: I think it's time Linux gets the ability to use writable image files, so

I seem to remember seeing that support for UDF is coming, perhaps in the
2.4.x kernel? When using a CD-RW medium it allows you to add/erase files
in a way that seems (at least superficailly) like any other R/W
filesystem. It works on Windoze (which isn't much of a recommendation, I
know! :^), so when it becomes supported on Linux you won't really need
your writable ISO stuff.

: I'm going to make the following proposition:
<snip>
: What are you thinking about my proposition? Could this be done or are
: there obstacles I don't see. Is it alltogether not necessary, because
: there's a much better solution?

I suspect (not having a CD writer on my Linux box, darn it!) that you
could simulate what you want without needing a new filesystem, although
it will cost you some disk space:

As my suggesiton above, make a loopback EXT2 system, put in it whatever
you want, add/delete/modify to your heart's content then when ready to
burn a CD, create an empty ISO filesystem, cp from the EXT2 loopback to
the ISO loopback and voila!

Or am I all wet? (be gentle! :^)

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 02:27:06 -0500

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Andrew N. McGuire  quoth:

ANM> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, choi jinhyuk quoth:
ANM>
ANM> cj> I wana delete all blank lines .
ANM> cj> succeded in searching like this
ANM> cj> %s/^$//g
ANM> cj> but blank line was not deleted. how can I?
ANM> cj> and how can I do it in sed and using grep?
ANM> cj> thanks
ANM>
ANM> :g/^$/d                            - vi
ANM> sed -e '/^$/d' file                - sed
ANM> grep -v '^$' file                  - grep
ANM> perl -wne '/^$/||print' file       - perl
ANM> awk '!/^$/ { print $0 }' fle       - awk
                              ~~~
                              Make that 'file'
anm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jason)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Project Management S/W
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:36:35 GMT

hi,

apologies, if i posted this in the wrong newsgroup.
i wld like to find out if there is any project management
software, in the likes of ms project with gantt chats and all,
available on linux.

wld appreciate any pointers.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 02:28:54 -0500

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, jncash quoth:

j> How much memory you have?
j> "Jonas Poyaoan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
j> news:uJytxVqGAHA.330@cpmsnbbsa09...
j> > My mom got me a eMachine etower|566i2 yesterday with M$ Windows Me from
j> > BestBuy.  It's running like W2K, very slow.  What if I'll have it returned
j> > and replace OS with Windows 98?
j> >

~PLEASE~ remove comp.os.linux.misc from this thread.
It has absolutely ~ZERO~ to do with the Linux OS.

anm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wouter Verhelst)
Subject: Re: Zip 100 Parallel Port Drive
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:44:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Peter Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[ZIP module doesn't load correctly]

> This is all strange territory to me, but does it mean that the wrong
> version of imm.o is provided with RedHat 6.2? If so, how do I obtain the
> correct version?

Are you sure that you need imm.o? There are two different kinds of
ZIP-drives (from the software's point of view), so two different
modules as well.
The other module is called ppa.o

--
  9:42am  up  1:08,  2 users,  load average: 2.06, 1.95, 1.50

Voor een vertaling van Documentation/Configure.help naar het Nederlands:
http://users.pandora.be/wouter.verhelst/configure.html

Far duller than a serpent's tooth it is to spend a quiet youth.

------------------------------

From: Michael Iwaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 06:21:54 GMT

What installation option did you use?  If you used Workstation-class
installation, for Redhat 6.2, there is a note stating that it will not install
the network daemon, inetd.  Network-related services such as finger,telnet,talk
and ftp will not work.  If you require these services, choose a server-or
custom-class installation.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:27:05 +1200
From: Peter Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Peter Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [ZIP module doesn't load correctly]
>
> > This is all strange territory to me, but does it mean that the wrong
> > version of imm.o is provided with RedHat 6.2? If so, how do I obtain the
> > correct version?
>
> Are you sure that you need imm.o? There are two different kinds of
> ZIP-drives (from the software's point of view), so two different
> modules as well.
> The other module is called ppa.o
>
> --
>   9:42am  up  1:08,  2 users,  load average: 2.06, 1.95, 1.50
>
> Voor een vertaling van Documentation/Configure.help naar het Nederlands:
> http://users.pandora.be/wouter.verhelst/configure.html
>
> Far duller than a serpent's tooth it is to spend a quiet youth.

Thanks for your interest.

Yes, according to the documentation I have seen, I need to use imm. However,
I have tried to load ppa also, with the same result.

Peter Rodriguez

------------------------------

From: "Jirka 'Eagle' Novák" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So Complicated I Dont Even Know What To Catagorize It As
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:16:44 +0200

  You have your Win98 on extended partition and not on primary? There is no
primary windows partition on your disk? I think this is the problem. AFAIK
windows aren't able to boot from anythink else than primary p.

Jirka 'Eagle' Novak

------------------------------

From: "Jirka 'Eagle' Novák" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't log in anymore
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:27:13 +0200

> Any ideas on how to solve this?

Check /etc/hosts.deny. Portsentry may add you there (well, your IP address
of course).

Jirka 'Eagle' Novak

------------------------------

From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:41:46 GMT

Michael Iwaki wrote:

> What installation option did you use?  If you used Workstation-class
> installation, for Redhat 6.2, there is a note stating that it will not install
> the network daemon, inetd.  Network-related services such as finger,telnet,talk
> and ftp will not work.  If you require these services, choose a server-or
> custom-class installation.
>
> Rooie wrote:
>
> > I really havent read all of this post becuase im to lazy, but if your
> > problem is ftp timeout's on a machine thats 'behind' linux (getting the
> > internet packets from the linux box) Then your problem is a MASQUARADE
> > problem. Change your MASQ timeout settings to avoid this. check the man
> > pages from IPCHAINS.
> >
> > ( ipchains -S seconds seconds seconds )
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > "Jason A Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8ngtqg$7t8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I do not have a solution here but I do have the same problem and I have
> > > noticed some peculiarities:
> > >
> > > 1) This only occurs with ftp exchanges, (at least through my experience)
> > > and typically on larger file gets.
> > > 2) it happens with masqueraded transfers or on transfers originating from
> > > the server itself.
> > > 3) /sbin/ifup ppp0 has been putting a lock on the wrong serial port
> > > 4) The behavior changes when I use setserial to reassign the uart type:
> > > 8250: Every transfer work perfectly, as you would expect for
> > > this uart. it is slow, but reliable. Very slow, but
> > > all transfers work.
> > > 16550a: should work, my modem is new and not a winmodem. In fact
> > > it does work on everything but some ftp transfers. not
> > > all, but some. speed is good, except the little problem
> > > most other uarts function like the 16550a as far as I can tell.
> > > 5) Obviously is not a modem issue because windows 9x and NT 5 have no
> > > issues with it.
> > > 6) /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS2 share irqs, but I think this is standard.
> > > 7) I believe that this problem may have originated when I installed the
> > > 2.2.16 kernel, though I have not yet tested this hypothesis.
> > > 8) the client software is not the issue either, as ftp, ncftp, and
> > > netscape (linux) and opera/explorer/ftp (win/masqueraded machine)
> > > all give the same trouble.
> > >
> > > I hope that these leads can give someone some insigt into a
> > > solution. My system is offline at the moment and unfortunately no
> > solutions
> > > can be tested. as a temp solution for these downloads I have been
> > > switching the uart to 8250 (requires restarting of ppp0) and this is a
> > > pain. not to mention the 20 meg downloads at 2k/s take quite a while.
> > > If I can't get it fixed then my hope is taht the 2.4.x kernels do
> > > not cause the same problem. I am curious if anyone has this problem who
> > > is NOT connecting over a modem. That is why I think the problem
> > > originates through the serial port. Good luck,
> > >
> > > Jason

    I had an issue sorta similar. FTP would disconnect after some of the file
transferred.
Worked OK in all other respects. This was on RH6.1, I think, using a USR
56K internal.
It turned out to be the MTU value. This has to be reduced by some discreet step,
which
I don't recall now, but you can find that on the web. Shortly after that got
solved, cable
internet became available, so I am sketchy as to exact values, and where I set
that.  But,
that fixed it, and much improved the transfer throughput, as a bonus.

CROSSPOSTING is a Bad Idea :)

--
Ray R. Jones
Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 04:57:08 -0600

There are no alternatives,

Bill is a jealous god.

KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics