From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: XVidTune.
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 00:43:42 GMT

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:30:05 GMT, N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>my display is too big and i think running 'xvidtune' might help this
>except for the fact i dont know how? do i have to install it and if not
>how do i run it? (corel linux delux)

Open a terminal window (xterm, kvt, whatever) and type "xvidtune".
You'll need to do this from within an X session.  If that does not
work, try "/usr/X11R6/bin/xvidtune".  If that does not work you may
need to install it, but it would be pretty weird if it weren't there as
it is part of the base XFree setup.

Another program that may be useful for tweaking your X setup is
"XF86Setup".  The one I have give me the option to run xvidtune after
setting everything up.  This one should be run from a text console,
with no X running.  Note that Linux is case-sensitive when typing
program names.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 & Win98
Date: 4 Aug 2000 00:47:21 GMT

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 17:35:42 -0400, Mike Styne wrote:
>bruce mcdougald wrote:
>> Can you run Windows 98 under Linux?  If so, how?
>What "Hil" fails to mention is that VMWare, although a very cool
>concept, requires *mucho mas* computing power than the average Joe or
>Jane has sitting on their desktop. Before installing VMWare, be sure
>your system can handle it.

Computing power isn't the issue, since Intel has effectively convinced
people they need the latest 600MHz Pimpium XVIII to run Netscape
effectively.  If you're running VMWare, you should have at least 96M in
your machine, and the more RAM you have, the faster things will be.
Average "consumer-class" machines seem to ship with ridiculously
overspecced processors and ridiculously tiny amounts of RAM.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape popups
Date: 03 Aug 2000 19:52:31 -0400

JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     How does one get rid of popup windows in Netscape? It
> annoys me big time when visiting (or leaving) a site I get
> an obnoxious, unsolicited  popup window.

Don't visit porn sites.

Seriously, I believe Mozilla has/will-have a way to disable popups
while leaving Javascript on.

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: LP Admin Question
Date: 4 Aug 2000 00:52:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am new to Linux and need to find the name of the printer on our SuSe 6.1
>machine. I am adding the printer (as remote) to an HP-UX box.
>
>There are 3 files in /dev: lp0, lp1 & lp2. There is a /var/spool/lp1
>directory, but using "lp1" from the remote host does not work. Neither does
>"/dev/lp1". A test print from the remote host appears to be sent, but never
>gets to the printer.

The name to use on HP-UX for the "remote printer" is the first field
in the /etc/printcap entry for that printer on your Linux system. This
is also the name you would use on the Linux system in: lpr -Pname
to direct your job to the specific printer "name". By convention,
the first (or only) printer is often called "lp".

>What is the Linux equivalent utility to lpstat or lpadmin?

There isn't. Linux uses the BSD-style printing setup; HP-UX uses
the System-V style. Closest to lpstat is lpc or lpq.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:16:31 -0500
From: gLiTcH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Server from scratch:  Experiences?

> My first instinct was to look for a pre-built system.  That is the
> easiest thing to do.  VA Linux was attractive to me because they seem
> to have good prices and are pre-configured with Linux.  There is no
> Windows tax with their systems, unlike with GW2K, Dell, and others.
>
> I speced out a system for $855 which was about as much as I wanted to
> pay for the box.  Then a friend of mine convinced me that I could do
> much better if I built my own.  I decided to give it a go.  The
> possiblity of saving money was very attractive to me.  All I had to do
> was make sure I bought Linux friendly hardware.

about the only thing you will save money on is not having to pay for the software that
a company will include in the package of the computer.  Companies b/c they order in
lots of 100 or 1000 of course get quantity discounts on parts and then when they price
the system they will make money by pricing it higher than the parts as a whole cost.
B/c you cant buy in mass quantity you will be spending more on each part than what
Gateway et al. would.

> Being new to the build your own PC game, I looked around the Internet
> for a few web sites that tell you how to do it.  The ones with the
> most basic tutorials were well out of date.  When some site talks
> about a hot new Pentium processor instead of the more affordable 486,
> you know time has passed since the author put the page together.  A
> lot of time.  After all, one human year is about 70 computer years.
>
> I looked around at tomshardware.com until my eyes popped out.  I could
> hear things flying over my head at warp speed.  I checked out
> pricewatch.com for hardware sources.  Eventually, I made my
> selections.  I choose two vendors.  I would have gone with just one,
> and perhaps that would have been better.  I don't know.  All I know is
> I wanted to keep the shipping charges down so that they wouldn't wipe
> out any savings in hardware cost.  I also ended up going with a system
> that had a bit more iron in it than the one speced out on the VA Linux
> site.

you do have a point with the shipping  Many vendors are charging outrageous prices
for  shipping prices and sometimes they can outweigh the savings on the hardware
itself.  The best thing to do is to keep searching until you can find a company with
small shipping prices. Also, some charge tax and that can really hurt you.  When I was
on Sony's site to buy a laptop I found out they charged shipping. I couldn't get their
order form to work so I went to another site who to order the laptop and they didnt
charge tax so right there I saved around $140.

> From the few things I picked up on tomshardware.com, with my Intel
> bias still strongly rooted in place, I settled on a Socket 370 board.
> A board that while listed by Abit, was apparantly already obsolete.  I
> ended up ordering the following board:
>
> http://www.abit-usa.com/english/product/vh6.htm
>
> The one that the vendor said was no longer available was the ZH6.
>
> I also started trying to get the 500Mhz Celeron FC-PGA Socket 370
> CPU.  It was cheaper than the 500Mhz PPGA version.  At the time, I had
> no clue what the difference was.  Well, the CPUs were something that
> liked to suddenly be no longer available.  I had started trying to get
> the ZH6 with 500 Mhz Celeron FC-PGA only to be told that the PPGA was
> the only fit for that board.  Fine.  Oh, but the board is no longer
> available.  How about the VH6?  It also works with the FC-PGA.  The
> CPU is cheaper, but the board costs a bit more.  Total increase in
> cost worked out to $12.  Fine. But the 500Mhz Celeron isn't available
> anymore.  How about the 533?  Ok.  While I'm at it, I order the heat
> sink with fan a 128MB DIMM, and an ATI 4MB AGP video card, the
> cheapest they had.
>
> The stuff arrives, but it turns out that the CPU is back ordered.
> WTF?  Naturally I am quite pissed.  The stuff was in stock when I
> ordered it.  I call to find out that they won't be getting any more
> 533s for a while.  I rant and rave for a bit and end up being talked
> into a 566 for another $10.  Now, as I am typing this, the FedEx guy
> arrives.  Does he have my CPU?  The invoice says yes.  The box says
> no.  Inside is a Tyan S1834 Tiger 133 motherboard with dual CPU slot 1
> sockets.  No CPU.  Well, at least I can hold these people hostage
> now.  I suspect some other customer is pissed at getting a CPU instead
> of a motherboard!

A company I have had a bad time with is TigerDirect. I'll save you the rant but
needless to say they were a pain.

> I'll start naming names on my web page when I get everything up and
> running.  Maybe I should say if I get everything up and running.
>
> Another problem I had was with the UDMA/66 (AKA Utral ATA/66 IDE)
> ribbon cable that comes with the board.  One of the wires was cut.  I
> needed another cable anyway as I wasn't going to hook the HD and
> CD-ROM to the same controller, but it turns out that CompUSA likes to
> charge about 4x wholesale on these little items.  When I called the
> vendor to complain about this, I was transfered to customer service
> who cut me off.
>
> These people are giving me a real headache!  I will get satisfaction
> now that I have a hostage.  Come to think of it, I can get them for
> credit card fraud now that they charged me for something I did not
> receive.  I think they will be very receptive to my demands for
> satisfaction as all I want is the CPU I asked for.  And a refund on
> the cable.  The price *I* paid for the replacement.  I'll give them
> back the defective one.
>
> The things I got from the other vendor were a 40GB Maxtor IDE drive, a
> CD-ROM (so I could load linux and maybe use it for other stuff), a
> floppy drive, just in case I need it, and a NIC.  They hit me a bit
> hard on the shipping.
>
> I bought a computer case with 250w power supply localy.  I wanted to
> see what I was getting and not be killed by shipping charges.  It's a
> nice box, all steel except for the front, made by A Open.  Anyone
> heard of them?  Anyway, the motherboard's mounting holes lined up with
> the studs reasonably well so that I could use six screws to secure it
> in place.  All the components are easy to access when the damn ribbon
> cables aren't in the way.  The box wasn't exactly cheap, but it wasn't
> outrageously priced either.  After PA sales tax of 6% it came out to
> $90.10.  As long as the ATX formfactor is in use, that box will be
> useful.

I bought a 13 bay Mega Tower case from a company in a Computer Shopper magazine about
a year ago.  It cost me $140 or so.  It's a great case and I still have 1 5 1/4"
external bays left and about 4 3 1/2" internal bays left.  With the Abit BE6 board
that has the 2 UDMA 66 controllers on it as well as the normal 2 IDE controllers on it
I can just about fill up the case without any extra cards.

> At this point in time, I have speced a system that is a bit more
> powerful than the one from VA Linux.  I have saved very little money.
> I have incurred some frustration to make up for that.  On top of all
> that, I recently found this on Tom's Hardware:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q2/000619/index.html
>
> It makes me think I might have gone with a Duron instead, or even an
> Athelon.  It seems that AMD has become a real chip maker when I wasn't
> looking.

As soon as the Athlon came out I knew AMD would start getting noticed.  Unfortunately
I had just bought my PIII 450 (this was end of July of last year) and couldn't afford
a new Athlon anyway but in the future it will be my next CPU.

> Has anyone else had similar experiences to mine?  Does life get easier
> in the build your own PC game?  I feel a lot like I should have just
> gone with VA Linux and be done with it.

Well, as other people have said it allows you to better understand how all the
components  of a system work together and you are better able to diagnose a problem.
If you are the type of person who likes fixing things yourself you will have put
yourself into the perfect situation as you will be able to learn about the system and
not have to pay someone else to fix it for you.  You will have the components you
wanted in the first place and will be able to shop around for hopefully cheaper prices
than what you would have paid if you had purchased a full system.  You will be able to
make choices about what you want more (cpu speed over ram quantity) instead of
choosing the best model that fits your needs from the likes of Gateway et al. and then
having to upgrade the components included in that package.

I hope you enjoy your new system and enjoy assembling it as I do when I go on an
upgrading spree.

Brandon

------------------------------

From: Fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inicio de Linux
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:22:36 -0500

In the /etc/inittab set the default run level to 3 instead of 5
At least is in that way in RedHat.

--
These are my personal opinions.
Email: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: "Michael Westerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: terminals
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:28:30 +1000

idea only...
catch klogd output and dump / send to serial port.
should come up on terminal screen.
basicly rederect all output from screen to serial port.

Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I suspected I might need to rebuild the kernal. But in the
> config scripts (menuconfig etc) I have seen no options for
> doing a terminal. What do you change, and how?
>
> Peter
>

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

------------------------------

From: Fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail - 2 questions
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:24:31 -0500

Steve Maughan wrote:

> Elliot wrote:
>
> > 2   With sendmail, how do you send out one of those 'I am away until ..'
> > type letters, as well as storing the message until they return.

Can you do it with "vacation" ?
Not sure.
You can download it from http://www.freshmeat.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: changing the cursor from underline to block (ASM code talked about)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:59:38 -0400

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 04:30:18 -0400, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       No good, did not work on my system. If it is any help I am
>using Linux Kernal 2.0.37pre10 (thats what slackware 3.9 calls it). IF
>it helps I DID see a patch to change the cursor for the 2.0.x kernals
>on metalab. Does anyone know of this patch?
        Update to my posting. the package was called
noblink-1.7.tar.gz it will NOT patch into a 2.0.38 kernal (I upgraded
my kernal to a official 2.0.38 release. None of their supplied patch
files are for anything newer than 1.1.54 (DOH!) However the
instructions gave me a starting point. Now I can use some help.
        Looking at linux/arch/i386/boot/video.S I see one can define a
cursor. Could someone tell this Non 386 asm person (I am familar with
some Z80 instructions). on the following. lines (its an example from
the video.S file:
!
! Set the 80x50/80x43 8-pixel mode. Simple BIOS calls.
!

set_8pixel:
        DO_STORE
        call    use_80x25       ! The base is 80x25
set_8pt:
        mov     ax,#0x1112      ! Use 8x8 font
        xor     bl,bl
        int     0x10
        mov     ax,#0x1200      ! Use alternate print screen
        mov     bl,#0x20
        int     0x10
        mov     ax,#0x1201      ! Turn off cursor emulation
        mov     bl,#0x34
        int     0x10
        mov     ah,#0x01        ! Define cursor (scan lines 6 to 7)
        mov     cx,#0x0607
        int     0x10
        I see that they are using bios routine int 0x10 for setting
this mode. I tried changing the cursor from two scan lines to 7 for a
bigger block. it will not change. I see that the mov     ax,#0x1201
instruction turns of the cursor emulation. Do I need to enable cursor
emulation before the mov     ah,#0x01 cursor modification will work?
        Who has a good description of interupt funchion 0x10? a web
page resource would do fine.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stump)
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 02:09:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jay Maynard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In the process, they want to destroy the concept that I'm entitled to
>benefit from my own labor.

This is a crude overstatement.  You are free to live in your society
or ours, it is your choice.  But, if you choose to live in ours, you
have to abide by our rules (and business plans and methods of
engineering and so on).  We just happen to feel that in the end, our
method will prove to be better.

If it is better, and we destroy your ability to make money, well, this
is called efficiency and compete or die, sorry, live with it, or move
to some nation that doesn't believe in it.  If it isn't better, then
how could we possibly win, what could you possibly fear, and how could
you use the phrase, they destroyed...?

What we want to do, is to innovate a new kinda of efficiency into the
marketplace.  Sorry if you don't want to, or if it will hurt you.

>It is communism.

If communism was efficient, it would have won.  If GPL was communism,
it can't possibly win.  Seems to be winning so far?  Why is that?
Maybe because it isn't communism.  Maybe because it is capitalism?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Flotsam)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Partiton Problem
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 02:20:23 GMT

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 20:13:41 GMT, Martin Racette  wrote:

>I've installed Mandrake 7.1, and since I
>let it create it's own partitions
>instead of creating them with Partition
>Magic, I have a problem with the other
>partition on that same disk. I can't
>access them with Partition Magic, nor
>with OS/2's FDISK.
>
>The error message I have with Partition
>Magic is as follow:
>
>"This error occurs under some operating
>systems when logical partitions are not
>chained together in the expected order......"

It's impossible to get a _precise_ picture of what this means
from this description.  I know what a chain of logical partitions
is _supposed_ to look like.  Since the Mandrake installer left it
in this situation, perhaps it would be readable by Linux cfdisk:

[root.....]# cfdisk /dev/?d?
Press keys: p t  for print table, and enter filename;
            p s  for print sectors, and a different filename.
Then if you could post the contents of those two files
_si_vous_plait_ then it would be perfectly clear what is
the situation.

>If you have any advise how to correct this

It might be related to a known problem in the Mandrake 7.1
installation program, which causes Windows to show that the
D: drive has disappeared.  You didn't describe this kind of
trouble.  It's impossible to say without more information.

La bonne chance,
F.

------------------------------

From: "S. Charbonneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:34:55 -0400

Salut Martin,

Maybe you could try working on your partition with tools like aefdisk or
Ranish partition manager.
I use both together with success. What I usually do is that once I have
partitioned the disks like I want, I use the OS specific tools to prepare
the partitions for use.

Maybe ça peut t'aider.
Bye.

"Martin Racette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi guys,
>
> I've installed Mandrake 7.1, and since I
> let it create it's own partitions
> instead of creating them with Partition
> Magic, I have a problem with the other
> partition on that same disk. I can't
> access them with Partition Magic, nor
> with OS/2's FDISK.
>
> The error message I have with Partition
> Magic is as follow:
>
> "This error occurs under some operating
> systems when logical partitions are not
> chained together in the expected order.
> DOS, OS/2, Windows 95, Windows 98, and
> Windows NT require that logical
> partitions be chained together in
> ascending order. Some other operating
> systems do not require this. For
> example, some versions of the Linux
> FDISK utility chain logical partitions
> together in the order they are created.
> This error message identifies a very
> dangerous situation; using the DOS FDISK
> in this situation can cause loss of one
> or more partitions. "
>
> I need to resize some of the partitions
> that are access with OS/2, and WIN98
>
> If you have any advise how to correct
> this I would appreciate
>
> file://-------------------------
> Thank you in advance
>
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin
>
> ICQ #48552954

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stump)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 02:36:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jay Maynard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Okkay, where am I going wrong? As I understand it, communism is a
>system where one does not have the right to benefit from the fruits
>of one's own labors.

Explain how I didn't get paid for the software that I wrote while I
was at Cygnus.  Explain how I forced to work for them.  Explain how I
was force to give them my code.  I don't get it.

My take on it is, I wanted a job, they offered me one, I took it, they
paid me, I wrote code for them.  The owned the code after this point,
and they choose to assign the code to the FSF.

>Instead, all production is pooled, and redistributed to the populace
>more or less evenly, perhaps adjusted by individual
>circumstances. "From each according to his abilities, to each
>according to his needs." is, as I understand it, the defining rule.
>
>This fits RMS's utopia well: programmers are denied the right to be
>compensated for their labor,

My experience doesn't fit your view.

>instead being forced to give away their output in return for some
>nebulous compensation of unspecified type and value.

My experience doesn't fit your view.

Maybe you just don't get it.  Let me try and explain, the GPL places a
burden to perform upon those that might want money from it.  If you
perform, you get money.  If you don't want to perform, than it isn't a
good model to choose.  If you don't want to perform, then in fact, you
will starve trying to get paid.  The second you get money from it, for
that work, you have been compensated.  There is no concept of partial
compensation in the model, it is all or nothing.  It has to be this
way, as otherwise, how is money ever limited?  A future promise?  What
is that promise isn't fulfilled?  The GPL guarantees the promise by a
mandate at the time of delivery for full compensation.  Why limit
money, easy, how can it be efficient without a limit?

By doing this, we encourage people to come out with incremental bits
of software.  This is good (efficient), as then people can find some
benefit today (instead of waiting for the software until later) and
the software can be reused (wihout cost, dare I say, for free?  Yes, I
think I will, just to annoy John.).

Now, they question is, is it more efficient that other mechanisms?
Good question.  I don't know.  We'll see, I suspect that within 25
years, we may have a partial answer to that question.  Within 100, it
will be obvious, even to people like John.

------------------------------

From: "D. Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help needed with building/loading modules (unresoled symbols
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 22:44:38 -0400

For the past week or two I've been trying to get numerous options to be
built as modules rather than building them into
my RedHat 6.2 kernel.  I've done the make menuconfig, made my
selections, ran make deps;make clean; make bzImage;
make modules;make modules_install;depmod -a (don't know if I need that
or not)

When the module (tulip.o, sb.0, ne2k.o etc. ) is loaded (insmod name), I
get an unresolved symbol (best_memcpy).  For the love of
Pete, I can't find what option needs to be compiled into the kernel so
that I can load modules.

Thanks very much in advance. I hope that I said everything that is
needed..

------------------------------

From: "D. Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with building modules follow-up. (part deux)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 22:45:55 -0400

I didn't mention running lilo with the new kernel, but I'm not that
green.. :)

------------------------------

From: Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 19:30:40 -0700

It has to be a kernel thing, because it has to happen before
anything is mounted. I first thought I could do it with
LILO, but this redirects the LILO prompt, then I get

and nothing more until the login prompt.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:53:28 GMT

Johan Kullstam writes:
> notice that copyrights *require* strong government intervention.  copyright
> and patents are artificial creations of the government.  is it
> capitalism, plutocracy or mercantilism?

Mercantilism, of course.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 02:00:35 GMT

blowfish writes:
> Copyright does not interfers with free market.

The express purpose of copyright is to suppress the free market in copies
of copyrighted works.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
Date: 4 Aug 2000 03:00:41 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards) writes in alt.solaris.x86:
|In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lew Pitcher wrote:
|>Ed Reppert wrote:
|>>
|>> In article <8m36fh$dtt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alan Coopersmith
|>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|>>
|>>  > Officially, any OS that gets certified as meeting the standards set
|>>  > forth by the Open Group can be called "UNIX(TM)" - currently that list
|>>  > includes Solaris, AIX, Tru64 (aka Digital UNIX), IRIX, UnixWare, HP-UX,
|>>  > and even IBM OS/390.
|>>
|>> OS/390 is Unix?! When did that happen?
|>
|>IIRC, 1998 or so. It happened when the MVS Unix System Services (USS)
|>subsystem passed the X/Open conformancy tests. IBM made a big thing of
|>it at the time; it officially permitted US Govt. purchasers to
|>purchase MVS under the Posix-compliancy rules.
|
|Posix-compliance and the right to use the Unix(tm) are two
|different things, aren't they?

POSIX compliance is a subset of the standards a system has to meet to
be officially branded Unix(tm).

Alan Coopersmith                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/           aka: [EMAIL PROTECTED]