From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Richard Anderson)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:11:05 -0500
Subject: Systems administration shell scripts

Korn shell scripts for text processing, file and directory processing,
customizing your login environment, disk space management, performance
analysis, system monitoring and system security.  It includes generalized
login environment files for the Korn shell, bash and the C shell.

Some of the functions of Typhon:

* Substitute one text string for another in all files in a directory tree,
  skipping non-text files. The substitution strings can be regular expressions
  or plain text.

* Display all subdirectories as a visual directory tree.

* Copy a file to multiple remote hosts, with disk backup of the target file on
  each host.

* List all subdirectories in one or more directories, including symbolic links
  to directories.

Part of Typhon is distributed as freeware, part as a commercial product.  You
can download the freeware or purchase the product at www.unixscripts.com.

Richard Anderson, Ph.D.
Chief Technology Officer, Raycosoft

------------------------------

From: "Rudolf Röpke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Siemens I-Surf on SUSE 6.4
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:11:51 +0200

Is there anyone who already installed a Siemens I-Surf 2.0 ISDN-Card?
The point is, I don't know, if it's the Card or the ipppd that doesn't work.
When I start a connection in KIsdn /var/log/messages says it's dialing but
nothing else happens until timeout cuts connection.
ISDN-HOWTO's works well.  But Maybe, there is
no driver for the I-Surf 2.0 yet ? The Hisax-Readme only says to the I-Surf
2.0 "try Asuscom" I also tried out that card-type.
Can anyone tell me, what I could do ? thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: changing the cursor from underline to block (ASM code talked about)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 02:40:58 -0400

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 00:58:25 -0400, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 19:49:25 -0700, Peter Mitchell
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>There is some excellent documentation of the interrupts as
>>used by BIOS and DOS in a file called MSDOSREF (.ZIP .ARJ,
>>LHA or whatever).
>>
>>Below is some stuff I have had lying around for a while. It
>>is for DOS, though.
>       Ah! the basics I can play with. I hope I can get these cursors
>installed without a CRASH! ;) I will  compile them  under MSDOS also
>as my cursor problem is not only linux related. Just in case I have
>two linux kernals. Both are the same but one is fired by loadlin.
        Update. I looked at the "interrupt List ver 5.4" and it turns
out that those patches are ALL I REALLY need. I will post on the list
if they  work or not.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "JACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A in W in Slack 7.1 Ernum 111
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 04:45:51 -0400

Old machine with slack 4 worked smooth and constant.  New machine with All
in Wonder and same hard drive refused to set up Xserver (using XF86Setup)
in 4.0 giving   "  X11 Trans socket unix connect : ernum 111".   followed by
a comment in the blue graphics window  " Unable to get the VGA16 server
going again" window.  So I installed 7.1 resulting in the same error
messages.  Can you
help?.
jack

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: changing the cursor from underline to block
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 04:58:48 -0400

On 4 Aug 2000 06:56:26 GMT, Villy Kruse
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 04:30:18 -0400, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Someone forgot to tell you that you can't (easily) change the cursor
>shape on 2.0.x and earlier versions.  The escape sequence is a new
>feature in the 2.2 kernel series.
>
>You can patch the device driver, if you feel like it, though.
        one word. DONE! I patched that
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/video.S (if I have to type that again I
am gonna SCREAM!) ;)
        I will make a patchfile available soon possibly on sunsite.
Only thing I have to figure out is how to do the same with the 132
column mode screens. or the 40x25 screen (YES! I got 40 colums enabled
too! ;) (alright, it was already in the driver as a local mode).
        I have to say this. This cursor stands out like a police
strobe light! Now like my Rainbow 100 I can see where I am  ;)

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Chris West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Changing media without umount/mount
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:06:15 +0100

Does anyone know if there is a way I can change media in a removable media
device without umounting and remounting.
The program that needs to do this knows the path to the mount point but not
the device which is mounted there.
I know I could parse /proc/mounts to get the device and then umount / mount,
but I'd like to avoid this.
I want to use media that will always contain the same filesystem.

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6.1, adding users, linuxconf
Date: 4 Aug 2000 09:09:58 GMT

What exactly does the "adding users step" in linuxconf.
I have problems adding users with this script in a NIS/YP
environment, where the NIS server is on a different machine but the home
directory on another machine (which is exported and automounted).

Is there a script one can execute which creates the directory and .dotfiles
for a user if the user is already in the NIS database?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Meegan)
Subject: Re: Good alternative to outlook.
Date: 4 Aug 2000 09:07:04 GMT

> Ditch your NT partition anyway. :-)

Unfortunatly our work is assigned via outlook tasks and meetings,
so I can't manage without it. I may have to set up VNC on a spare
PC running NT.

------------------------------

From: Tony Scholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: COM Port Sharing software for Linux?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:14:34 +0200

Hi

Does anybody know of any software product (Open Source or Commercial)
that enables PC's to access (over TCP/IP) the COM Ports on a Linux
server as if they are local?

You know the sort of thing, a program on the PC talking to a modem on
(say) COM3 is actually controlling the modem attached to (say)
/dev/ttyS0 on the Linux server.

TIA

--
Tony Scholes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Nobels)
Subject: Re: rsh and password
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:28:22 GMT

On 3 Aug 2000 18:11:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) wrote:

>> I tried that but are having difficulties with ssh -l root ...  The
>> goal is to sync passwd and shadow files of two ftp-servers ...
>>
>> If i open up pts0 for root-access, also telnet can have root-access...
>
>Look at your sshd config (should be in /etc/ssh/sshd_config):
>
>PermitRootLogin yes
>
>Use rsync over ssh, and life is peachy.

ok, got this working, now how do i get rid of the fact that the remote
machine asks for a password?

- Peter -

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:59:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) writes:

' > That was my guess too, but typically ssh prints something like
' > "error code: success" when it conflicts with TCP wrappers
' > (because read() returns zero). So... who knows what that guy
' > is hitting.
'
' Nope, I just did it on last night's debs for woody:
'
' [gimli:~] 8:53:14pm 454 % ssh -v localhost
' SSH Version OpenSSH_2.1.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
' Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
' debug: Reading configuration data /home/bem/.ssh/config
' debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
' debug: Applying options for localhost
' debug: Seeding random number generator
' debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 1000 anon 1
' debug: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
' debug: Connection established.
' ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
' debug: Calling cleanup 0x805cbbc(0x0)
'
' That's what you get when you set up a libwrap'd sshd and tell it to deny
' localhost.
'
' That looks EXACTLY like what David's problem was.
'
' It's almost certainly libwrap that is closing the socket.

The only problem with that theory is that I did not enable TCP
wrappers with ./configure.  Also, /etc/inetd.conf has nothing for port
22.  I have some more information.  Due to the size of the file
generated by the following command:

> ./configure > config.log 2>&1

I will only post what I think is the relevent portion.  If more is
needed, let me know and I can gzip it and mail it, or just post it.
The file is some 900+ lines long.

First, a reprise of the logon attempt from solo to apostrophe:

david@solo:> ssh apostrophe -v
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.1.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to apostrophe.david-steuber.com [::ffff:10.7.7.11] port 22.
rresvport: af=10 Invalid argument
debug: Connecting to apostrophe.david-steuber.com [10.7.7.11] port 22.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Allocated local port 738.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x805cbb0(0x0)
david@solo:>

Now a portion of config.log:

OpenSSH configured has been configured with the following options.
                 User binaries: /usr/local/bin
               System binaries: /usr/local/sbin
           Configuration files: /usr/local/etc
               Askpass program: /usr/local/libexec/ssh/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/local/man/manX
                      PID file: /var/run
      Random number collection: Device (/dev/urandom)
                Manpage format: man
                   PAM support: yes
            KerberosIV support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: no
          MD5 password support: no
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: no
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes

Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/ssl/include
Linker flags:  -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl
Libraries: -ldl -lnsl -lz  -lutil -lpam -lcrypto

Now a portion of /var/log/messages:

Aug  4 05:16:46 apostrophe modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-10
Aug  4 05:16:46 apostrophe sshd[26440]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Aug  4 05:16:46 apostrophe sshd[26440]: Generating 768 bit RSA key.
Aug  4 05:16:46 apostrophe sshd[26440]: RSA key generation complete.
Aug  4 05:17:05 apostrophe inetd[26443]: execv /usr/local/sbin/sshd2: No such file or
directory
Aug  4 05:17:11 apostrophe inetd[26444]: execv /usr/local/sbin/sshd2: No such file or
directory

I really appreciate the help given so far.  I see an alarm bell in the
first line of /var/log/messages about the modprobe.  This seems like
it might be important.  Do I need to rebuild my kernel to support this
module?  If so, where in menuconfig can I find it so that I may add
it?  What about /usr/local/sbin/sshd2?  Why didn't make install
install it?  Should it be a symbolic link to /usr/local/sbin/sshd?

I started sshd manually for testing.

Should I be using any arguments to ./configure?  I've been sticking
with the defaults in the hope that they are sensible.

Note that except for the ssh login attempt, all information is from
the machine apostrophe.  If any other information is required to help
me out with this, just let me know which files you need to see, etc,
and I will try to oblige.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:00:00 GMT

"Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Try using the RPM's, and see if your problem persists.  I am using
' them on Mandrake 7.1 with no problems.  I have not compiled openssh
' as of yet, so I can't tell you of what tweaks are available.  I will
' play with it though and see what I can find out.

What steps did you follow to allow yourself to ssh onto machine x?

From: xxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get system libraries versions ?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:29:03 +0400

I want to explain base problem.
I started Oracle Application Server 4.08 at RH 6.0 box, one process was
not start and next message appeared

/usr/app/oracle/product/816/ows/4.0/bin/wrksf: error in loading shared
libraries :
/usr/app/oracle/product/816/ows/4.0/jdk/lib/i686/native_threads/libjava.so:
symbol sem_init, version GLIBC_2.1 not defined in file libpthread.so.0
with link time reference
OWS-08820: Unable to start wrksf process
'/usr/app/oracle/product/816/ows/4.0/bin/wrksf'.

I don't understand: what is symbol not defined in libpthred.so.0 - either
symbol "sem_init" or version "GLIBC_2.1" ?
I used nm for looking these, and symbols "sem_init" and "GLIBC_2.1" are
present in file /lib/lipthread.so.0.

What is "link time reference" for symbol in library ?

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I <4dos>ren *.htm *.html</4dos> in bash?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:06:46 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Fri, 04 Aug 2000 05:25:17 GMT, wrote :

j> Wind*z* having done the dirty on me just one time too many, I am
j> switching over  to Linux. I had been developing  a Web site, now several
j> hundred  pages long, all with extension *.htm on my hard disk, but
j> *.html on the host (likewise the hrefs are to *.html).  Having copied
j> them onto my Linux partition, I cannot figure out how to rename them all
j> to *.html in one  go. I did man mv, apropos rename, etc., I am still
j> lost and floundering. I would have preferred to work it out myself, but,
j> being a  complete greenhorn, I am really at my wits' end here. Someone
j> please tell me the solution (if it has to be a shell script, at least
j> I'll have learnt  my first lesson in writing them).
j>

With tcsh (bash is different, but has a similar functionallity -- 'man
bash' to find the syntax):

foreach f (*.htm)
  set ff = $f:r.html
  mv $f $ff
end

j> Thank you in advance.
j>
j> Jacques Guy
j>
j>
j> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
j> Before you buy.
j>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partitions
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:06:47 GMT

  "constants" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:28:11 -0400, wrote :

"> Hello
">
">      I want to manually set my partitions for an 8.4 gig hard drive using
"> Linux Mandrake 7.1. Could anybody tell me what partitions need to be made
"> and the size each should be. I will only have linux on the hard drive. I
"> know a couple of partitions are /tmp, /usr, /home,  /. Are there any I am
"> forgetting? Thanks in advance.
">
">
">

/       -- 64 to 128 meg, wholy under the 1024th cylinder
<swap>  -- 64 to 128 meg (set to Linux swap type)
/usr    -- 1.5 to 2 gig
/var    -- (optional) 64 meg

The rest of the disk can be anything -- you should have a '/home'
partition.  This could be the whole rest of the disk, but you might want
to break things up -- it depends on how you plan to perform disk backups
(how much cap. does your tape drive have for example).  *I* would make
/home 2gig and in fact break up the rest of the disk into 2gig slices
with names like /home2, /home3, etc.

--
                                     \/

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:06:48 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar),
  In a message on Fri, 04 Aug 2000 07:00:38 GMT, wrote :

PAK> "constants" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
PAK>
PAK> > Hello
PAK> >
PAK> >      I want to manually set my partitions for an 8.4 gig hard drive using
PAK> > Linux Mandrake 7.1. Could anybody tell me what partitions need to be made
PAK> > and the size each should be. I will only have linux on the hard drive. I
PAK> > know a couple of partitions are /tmp, /usr, /home,  /. Are there any I am
PAK> > forgetting? Thanks in advance.
PAK>
PAK> There is no requirement that you make additional partitions. You could
PAK> easily stick with a / and a swap partition. Additional ones you could

Be careful: an 8.4gig WILL have more than 1024 cylinders, so unless one
is booting from floppy or wants to hunt for the updated lilo, you need /
(or /boot) as a smaller partition early in the disk geometry space.

PAK> make beyond the above are /var, /opt, /usr/local. Well, you could very
PAK> much make any directory into a partition but don't go overboard
PAK> because it is possible for one of them to fill up too fast because you
PAK> made it too small.

Some partititions are by their nature small and stable -- / (/boot),
/var, etc.  /usr is also generally a 'stable' partition.  There are
security, backup, and system admin (and system recovery) reasons for
having / (/boot), /usr, /var separate from everything else.

--
                                     \/