  Re: Allowing all users to access and write to a partition ("Andrew N. McGuire ")

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Problem with 'mount' in kernel 2.4.0-test5
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 18:23:18 -0700

softrat` wrote:

> Robert Lynch wrote:
> >
> > softrat` wrote:
> > >
> > > I downloaded the source for mount-2.20f-1 and installed the package (so
> > > I thought). Now I can't find the source code. An rpm query doesn't
> > > report the source package loaded either. But the package load went on
> > > without complaint.
> >
> > Do you mean an src.rpm?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Installing this
>
> As I said, I think that I did this.
>
> > places the sources in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, and the spec file in
> > /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.
> >
> There is no 'mount' source code there as far as I can tell.
> '/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES' has a bunch of obsolete code in it for
> kernel 2.2.14-something. That's at least two kernel versions back.
>
> > You would then build the binaries with "rpm -bb --clean
> > mount.spec"; when done these would be placed in
> > /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (typically).
> >
> From which directory(s) do I perform all this magic?
>
> > HTH. Bob L.
>
> Still hanging in there, flailing away!
>
> the softrat
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

# rpm -ivh mount-2.10m-3.src.rpm
mount       ##################################################
# cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
# pwd
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
# ls
util-linux-2.10m-alphahack.patch  util-linux-2.10m.tar.bz2
# cd ../SPECS
# pwd
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS
#ls
mount.spec
# rpm -bb --clean mount.spec
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.42900
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf util-linux-2.10m
+ /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/util-linux-2.10m.tar.bz2
...[snip]
Requires: ld-linux.so.2 libc.so.6 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/mount-2.10m-3.i386.rpm
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/losetup-2.10m-3.i386.rpm
Executing(%clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.37152
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd util-linux-2.10m
+ rm -rf /var/tmp/mount-root
+ exit 0
Executing(--clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.37152
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf util-linux-2.10m
+ exit 0
# cd
../RPMS/i386
# pwd
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
# ls
losetup-2.10m-3.i386.rpm mount-2.10m-3.i386.rpm
======
HTH. Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ,comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux,linux.rehat.install,comp.programming
Subject: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 01:30:00 GMT

Visit the following sites to learn how to become rich.

Email me:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] to find out how.

http://adz4u.net/index.cfm?acc=1249
http://www.refmaker.com/members/kyg837.shtml
http://mymoneymachine.com/owner/ky837/signup.shtml
http://www.refercentral.com/kyg837

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.be.misc
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Linux
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:11:38 -0500

"W.Boeke" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dual-boot Win98/BeOS4.5 machine and tried to add
> Linux. So with FIPS I reclaimed a new partition from the
> Windows partition, and tried to install Redhat version 6.1.
> Uptil formatting with FDISK everything went okay.
>
> But then the installation came to a crashing end, reporting:
>     aborted abnormally - received signal 11
>
> Does somebody know what this means, and how it should be
> repaired? I'd be very grateful!
>
> Wouter Boeke
Often this is caused by a hardware problem.  But you might try
again.  I've seen cases where it works on another try.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Anna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 18:36:07 -0800
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc

I have the same setup as you except the patched kernel. I have no ftp
probs at all; I habitually use gftp and long downloads do not stall.  From
time to time I use kfm to download via ftp and it, too, behaves well.
Perhaps there is something changed in your configuaration files? MTU
units?

I do have a roughly similar problem with task threading, however; if I
establish a connection, say with pan, and download a bunch of binaries, www
access through a browser is very, very slow; I sometimes have to hit the
reload button several times before it speeds up again. This happens across
and within applications, so it may be related to your complaint and it may
be an issue with RH.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe Mazz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> pounded on his/her keyboard until this came out:

> Platform: RedHat 6.2 patched to kernel 2.2.14-6.0.1, using Earthlink as
> my ISP for PPP dial-up with a 56K PCI  modem made by Actiontec.
>
> Problem: Access to Web pages via Netscape 4.72 and interactive login
> sessions via telnet work fine, with transfer speed typically near the
> maximum throughput reported as by the RH Network Monitor in GNOME. The
> problem is when I try to download files via FTP,  especially large
> binaries (*.rpm or *.gz). After a few hundred kilobytes, the FTP simply
> stalls. If it picks up again at all, it is typically at very slow bps,
> and then it crawls along between successive stalls. This happens whether
> I use Netscape (Save link as...), an ftp session started on the
> command-line, or even using the excellent program  'wget' (e.g., 'wget
> ftp://whatever...'). Clue #1: While a file transfer is stalled, network
> access via Netscape to view Web pages and read news or email transfer at
> high speed, up to 56K. Clue #2: I have ran tests that show the problem
> is not on the ftp server side (e.g., busy anonymous FTP servers). For
> example, ftp stalls also occur while trying to download files while
> logged into my personal
> (Solaris) computer at work just 10 miles away (with a T1 connected to
> the net),  which has no other FTP users or other heavy system load. Clue
> #3: There seems to be no problem with my DNS setup, since I can ping and
> connect to servers all over the net by domain name or IP address number.
> Clue #4: FTP downloads using the same modem and ISP never stall like
> this running Win98!
>
> Similar problems with FTP stalling under Linux have been reported
> repeatedly in the news group archives
> (via DejaNews.com), with no definitive answers posted as far as I can
> tell. The symptoms described above suggest that the problem may be in
> the Linux kernel, fttpd, the PCI modem driver, or something else at a
> 'low level' in the system. Can someone from Redhat or any Linux network
> guru please inform us how to trouble-shoot and solve this mysterious
> problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any leads...
>
> -Joe

We are six billion humans: Three billion men trying to be just like each
other And one woman in three billion fantasies.
                                --Anna Merikin, 1999

From: bernieo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI CDRW Locks up Redhat 6.1
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 01:54:05 GMT

I just purchased a Yamaha 8x8x24 SCSI CD Recorder.
This replaces an IDE CD Recorder which I could not get to work under
Linux.

I installed it today, but after getting all software (cdrecord and
Xcdroast),
it is not working.

Everything shows to be installed and working properly.

However, when I actually go to write the cd, XCDRoast shows anywhere
from
17% to 43% complete (depending on burn speed) then the CD Recorder's
recording light goes off.  The system is usable for about 1 minute, then
the
ENTIRE SYSTEM freezes up.  Only way out is to power off the machine.
This happens every time.

RedHat 6.1.

INITIO Ultra SCSI PCI card which has been in the system for 2-3 months
without
problems.  Has a scanner set on id 2, cd recorder on id 3.

In the SCSI BIOS, I had to set the drive to be allowed to use
ASynchronous
transfer for things to be stable under Windows.  Either way, Linux does
not work.

Any clues.  Is there some other parameter that need to be configured for
this
SCSI drive under linux?

After setting the SCSI BIOS to Async transfer mode, it works great under
Win98.
Made 3 different CDs.

Help

------------------------------

From: Lvis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can not wearch website?!
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:06:29 -0500

sammi wrote:

> I'm a new user for Linux. Currently, I have a problem with to view the
> wedsite. It's sound strange because my system can detect my modem but when I
> use Netscape to search the particular website then it will pop up a message
> like "Unable to locate the server nam(eg:http://www.hotmail.com) comand
> check it and try again. Somemore like hosts are unknown and some of the
> hosts unreachable.
>
> And I need to be online ASAP. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sam, I had the same difficulty until I started logging on as root. Logon as
root, configure your dialer and see if Netscape doesn't function properly then.

Mike.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sshd/Linux problems
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:16:34 -0500

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Michael P. Rogers quoth:

~~ Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:31:35 -0500
~~ From: Michael P. Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: sshd/Linux problems
~~
~~ Hello,
~~
~~ I'm using Redhat 6.2 and sshd 2.1.1p1, or trying to.  When I connnect
~~ (using F-Secure SSH client) I get a message in the log that says:
~~
~~ [sshd]:  Protocol Error:  Packet too long -234245325 (or some other long
~~ negative number).

Are you using the a ssh 1.x client and a ssh 2.x server?
That would seem to explain the protocol error.  I have
used fsecure before, but can't recall if all versions
support both 1.x and 2.x or if you have to configure it.

~~ I just used Redhat's rpms, rather than compile anything myself.

That could be a problem, but I doubt it.

~~ Any idea what's causing this problem?  I've inquired in
~~ comp.security.ssh, but nobody there seemed to know :-(

telnet host 22

will tell you what version of the protocol the server is running.
Make sure your client supports that version, that is all I can think
of for now.

anm
--
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                      |

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.misc
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UCE Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!A
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:25:36 -0500

[ follow-ups trimmed and set ]

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Andy quoth:

~~ Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 01:30:00 GMT
~~ From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, , comp.os.linux.network, alt.linux,
~~     linux.rehat.install, comp.programming

[ snip gratuitous advertisement ]

ewww! SPAM sucks.

anm
--
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: HD LED permanently on
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:30:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:05:00 +0100, Jo Hallel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David Efflandt wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:22:52 +0100, Jo Hallel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >In windows my HD LED behaves normally. However in Linux (SuSE 6.4) it
>> >now remains permanently on. The only time that it does behave "normally"
>> >is if I cause the CDROM to fail. Previous advice (thanks Hal) suggested
>> >that there may be CD applets running, but I see no evidence of this.
>> >
>> >(Trivial, but important, as it was the first thing a mate commented on
>> >when showing him Linux. If I can get this sorted, I may be able to
>> >convince him to load Linux himself).
>>
>> Are they properly jumpered as 'master' and 'slave'.  Maybe the hd is
>> jumpered as 'single' instead of 'master' or the cdrom is 'master' instead
>> of 'slave'.
>>
>> --
>> David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
>> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
>> http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
>
>Thanks for the reply. I've checked (the jumber settings), and the HD is
>master on the primary IDE port and the CDROM is slave on the secondary.
>
>One piece of info that may be relevant - it a CD-RW (Smart and friendly
>4424A). Would this make a difference?

I assume you are discussing a drive on each cable and not both drives on
the same cable.

If these are the only 2 drives you have, then the hd on the 1st IDE
channel should be jumpered as single (which may or may not be same as
master).  And the CDROM on the 2nd IDE port should also be jumbered as
single or master.  What drive is your cdrom now, hdc or hdd?

Master or slave refer to each IDE channel and I don't think you can have a
slave without a master (which may be your problem).  This is probably why
your drive light is on all the time unless you crash your cdrom.

From: Xiaotian Sun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Date: 14 Aug 2000 02:35:53 GMT

it's protocol problem.  ssh1 and ssh2 are not compatible with
each other.  I think F-Secure is running ssh1 protocol.  I'll
suggest you to change to ssh1 server, which is free, while
ssh2 is not.  Or change to OpenSSH, which is free too.

If for some reason, you still want to use ssh2, in order to
make the server compatible with ssh1 client, you'll have to
still install ssh1 server, and configure the ssh2 config file.
For details, please refer to the document.

Xiaotian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: scanner
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:35:59 +0000 (UTC)

Look for sane rpm on your CD or see http://www.mostang.com/sane/

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:53:55 -0500

On 12 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoth:

~~ Date: 12 Aug 2000 19:49:42 PST
~~ From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: Dreamweaver port for Linux?
~~
~~ Does anyone know if Macromedia has any such plans?
~~
~~ Dreamweaver is an incredibly good program, but
~~ I think it only runs on Windows and Mac at the
~~ moment.

vi. what real web-heads use. :-)

anm
--
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: sysv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: How do you control pptpd services?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:45:10 GMT

Can someone tell me what this service is in RH
Linux, and how to disable it? I see no listing
in /etc/services for it, and cannot find a
startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d that invokes
this binary.

It runs as /usr/sbin/pptpd -f****
from somewhere but who knows how

sysv

Starting nmap....
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
Port    State       Protocol  Service
1723    open        tcp       pptp

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allowing all users to access and write to a partition
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:58:56 -0500

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Richard Steiner quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 14:33:31 -0500
~~ From: Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Robert Clayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ spake unto us, saying:
~~
~~ >I think the number of pompous replies in here is really disgusting.
~~
~~ Unfortunately, the number of people who ask simple questions in this
~~ newsgroup without doing any preliminary research is also high.
~~
~~ While I certainly agree that it's not a good thing to be pompous, it
~~ is sometimes hard to see the same old obvious questions repeated day
~~ after day after day.
~~
~~ People should be introduced to the search engine at Deja.com as part of
~~ the installation process.  :-)

I also might add that the FAQ is posted regularly here, and people should
be introduced to it as well.  Other prerequisite reading should include
RFC 1855, and news.announce.new-users at a bare minimum. IMHO.

anm
--