Linux-Misc Digest #440, Volume #26                Fri, 1 Dec 00 17:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: vim: can't turn on syntax highlighting (Gregory Spath)
  root password ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mapping <Tab> key in vi or vim ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: dd over ethernet (Hugh Gibson)
  Re: versions of top... ("Steve Wolfe")
  Re: Gnome and KDE ("Garry Knight")
  Re: Backup Hard Drive... (Hugh Gibson)
  How to get ls to show local time and not GMT (Steve Simons)
  Re: Backup Hard Drive... (Jean-David Beyer)
  one mount point, two file systems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  setting default charset to utf-8 instead of iso-88951 (Hornmule)
  setting default charset to utf-8 instead of iso-88951 (Hornmule)
  Screen shots. (Kyle Parfrey)
  Re: Mapping <Tab> key in vi or vim (Lori Holder-Webb)
  Re: How to get ls to show local time and not GMT (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Backup Hard Drive... (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: root password (Bob Tennent)
  Re: root password (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: How to get ls to show local time and not GMT (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: 8.13. How Can I Enable or Disable Core Dumps? ("D. Stimits")
  Re: Screen shots. (Jan Schaumann)
  Re: cron did not run, why? ("Russ")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Spath)
Subject: Re: vim: can't turn on syntax highlighting
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:28:36 -0000

In <906bps$6in$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Moore ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>Hi. As the subject says--
>
>:syntax on
>
>gives me the error message: Sorry, this command is not implemented.

        You may only have vim-minimal installed.  To get syntax
        hilighting, remove vim-minimal and install vim-enhanced.
        Vim-X11 is nice too.

--
Gregory Spath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://freefall.homeip.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: root password
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:27:14 GMT

Help....I am running redhat 6.2 i386.  I was hacked and my root password
was changed.  I was able to boot to run level 1 and change the root
password to something else.  Now I can login as root using the password
I changed it to.  When I log directly into root it seems to work no
problem and allows me to do all the normal things root can do.
However if I do not initially login as root, I can not su to root, using
that password.  It says incorrect  password.  This happens whether I
su, su -, or su root.  Very wierd.  I am stumped?

Thanks
Ryan

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mapping <Tab> key in vi or vim
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:51:35 +0100

Steve D. Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> at work and vim on Linux at home) that will map the <Tab> key to insert
> three spaces instead of a tab character... this being a requirement of

It'll be something like

:imap <tab> <   >

In your vimrc. I had to put angle brackets here to show what I meant.
Mind you .. I don't see how that would parse! DOn't you just want
something like:

:set expandtab

  In Insert mode: Use the appropriate number of spaces to insert a
  <Tab>.  Spaces are used in indents with the '>' and '<' commands and
  when 'autoindent' is on.  To insert a real tab when 'expandtab' is on,
  use CTRL-V<Tab>.  See also |:retab| and |ins-expandtab|.

:set tabstop=3

> the coding standards for the project I'm currently working on.  I've
> been using vi for years, but have never really found the need to map
> characters or tinker too much with .exrc or .vimrc (other than turning
> line-numbering on by default)... can anyone give me a hand with the
> line that needs to be added for this mapping?

vim has a help command. That's where I'm reading this info from.

From: Hugh Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,alt.linux
Subject: Re: dd over ethernet
Date: 1 Dec 2000 15:16:50 -0500

In comp.os.linux.misc Mandrake 7 User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to backup a complete hard disk with dd?

> Specifically, I have a small HD in my laptop and lots of free partitions
> on my desktop.  They have network cards and I have successfully
> transferred files between them.  However, for a complete backup I
> want to just dump the whole laptop hard disk onto the backup hard disk
> in the desktop.

To backup the linux partition in a working state, you must not be running it!
I've managed what you are trying by...

1/  Booting the box from networking floppies/CDROM etc.. (i.e. NOT
        touching the hard disk)   get the network configured
        (slakware can do all this from boot floppies, as it can
        NFS install!!)

Then....   mount the drive you want to back-up,  and go to the
top directory, then

        tar cvfb  -  20 * | rsh remotebox dd of=/home/mydir/image.tar  obs=20b

Where remotebox is the machine you are hooking up to.  (you need to make
sure rsh is happy with allowing your laptop to squirt stuff over etc).

What you are doing is a tar archive, piping it through the network with rsh,
then dumping it to file at the other end.  This sounds kind-of wierd, but
works v. well!

Another way (maybe a little easier) is to NFS mount the remote machine using
the NFS  option in the 'source' install in the 'setup' section, then quit
out of the setup file (the remote machine will still be hooked up with
NFS if you have done all the right stuff!) mount the hard-drive to back-up,
go there, then  cp -a * /nfsdrive/start_dir

where /nfsdrive/start_dir  is the remote directory, where the whole OS tree
will be copied.    You may need to re-issue the nfs command with slightly
different flags, as the default is read only (it assumes you are sucking
the source files)..

        Hope this helps,        Hugh Gibson

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: versions of top...
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:07:30 -0700

> Is there a version of top that will give me a read out of which
> processes are active on which processor? this is an 8-way system so it
> would be intriguing to find out..

   Sun's 'top' does exactly that, but I've never seen a version for Linux
that will.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:20:01 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Kiesling"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Kiesling"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > I think you're all seriously missing the point here. X is a
>> > client/server GUI.

> I think the accuracy is justified, especially because X seemingly
> labels things backward from other systems.  I didn't quite infer that
> point the previous messages....  If I draw inferences, I like to have
> more background than the information that was there.

And you're not a relative newcomer to Linux, as was the OP. Sometimes
it's easier to point someone to a simple book like "The Joy of X", and
sometimes it's easier to just give them a simpler model to work from
until they themselves go looking for more.

--
Garry Knight

From: Hugh Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: 1 Dec 2000 15:26:30 -0500

In comp.os.linux.misc Jeffrey Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to find the "best" solution to the problem of backing up a
> drive and/or the data stored on it (the box is mainly a storage location
> for backed-up files over the network... some have already been tarred and
> gzipped...), using RedHat 6.2 on Intel...

> Since hard drive storage is sooo cheap nowdays (40 GB ide is around $150)
> I would like to have a fileserver that has 2 (or maybe even 3) drives
> that provide redundancy and backup, instead of going the expensive, slow,
> and unreliable (unless you get the very expensive) tape backup route...

> The pre-requisites for the solution are that it is as inexensive as
> possible (I might have to put up multiples of these boxes) and that if
> one of the drives fails, it has to be back up as quick as possible

As you don't want to be running from the disk you are backing up, may
I suggest you do a small, simple 2nd installation  (just the base, and
networking).. should only take up 50MBytes or so.
        When you want to backup/restore, boot to the cut-down installation, and
use dd, tar, cp  etc... (whatever you wish)  piping the output through the
net to the file-server machine.
        What I tend to do (because hard disk space is so cheap) is backup
the active partition to a spare partition, using cp -a.
        If the working partition goes belly-up, boot up the small installation,
and cp -a it back!    I have used cp -a many a time to copy installations, and
it works well!   (you can also use dd if you wish)
        Hope this helps,        Hugh

------------------------------

From: Steve Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get ls to show local time and not GMT
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:19:46 GMT

Stupid thing I can't figure out. My RD 6.0 systems display the local
time when I use 'date', but the date displayed by 'ls -l' is the GMT
time.  Is there a way to change this?

--
Steve Simons                                    "Yeah, I can do that"

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:47:47 -0500

Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2000 12:56:45 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Volker Apelt) wrote:
>
> >You know that backup is more than just having a second
> >copy of everything? good backup software maintains an
> >archive, too.
> >
> Any recommendations for archiving backup software for Linux?
>
> FWIW I went the DAT tape route with a SCSI HP DDS2 drive, and am
> currently making backups up via a script and tar. A stopgap until I
> find or write something better.

I never liked tar for backups. Perhaps that was because when I was at
Bell Labs, we replaced tar with cpio as a much better approach. We
were astonished that the rest of the world preferred tar. So I just do
not do it.

I used a combination of find and cpio to do tape backups on my old
machine onto a floppy tape drive until the drive pooped out (it cannot
find the load point any more).

On this machine, with a DDS-2 tape drive on an SCSI controller all its
own, I use the BRU package. AFAIK, its only advantages over cpio are:

1.) it does an automatic readback and verification of the checksum of
each backup tape (and it asks for more tape if necessary).

2.) it can make an OBDR tape. OBDR is "One Button Disaster Recovery."
The controller for the tape drive can masquerade as a CD-ROM
controller and you can boot the system from such a tape. So when
disaster strikes and you must replace your hard drive(s), you do that,
stick your OBDR tape into the drive and reset the machine in the
proper way, and the system will format your new hard drive(s)
(presumed to be at least as large as your old ones), restore all your
files, and everything else (such as everything in /dev), and off you
go.

For more on BRU, see URL:  http://www.estinc.com/products.php
For more on OBDR, see URL: http://www.hp.com/tape/papers/obdr_ov.html

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: one mount point, two file systems
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:42:35 GMT

Hello,

Running linux, I was wondering if you could mount two file systems onto
one mount point.

thanks,
Robin Yamaguchi

From: Hornmule <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: setting default charset to utf-8 instead of iso-88951
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:53:52 GMT

Is there a simple straightforward way to change the default charset for
Suse Linux?  I want to run a java program that returns international
characters and the traditional ascii character set is, of course,
unable to handle it.

Thank you in advance.

From: Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Screen shots.
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:03:42 GMT

Hey.
Does anyone know how to do screen shots in kde or gnome? I tried "print
screen" and pasting
into gimp and it didn't work.
Thanks.
Ykle

------------------------------

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:50:45 -0600

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> :set tabstop=3
>
> > the coding standards for the project I'm currently working on.  I've
> > been using vi for years, but have never really found the need to map
> > characters or tinker too much with .exrc or .vimrc (other than turning
> > line-numbering on by default)... can anyone give me a hand with the
> > line that needs to be added for this mapping?

The O'Reilly vi book notes that when you change the tabstop like this,
the tabs will still get expanded using an 8 character tab stop in every
other UNIX program.  Don't know if this makes a difference for your
prog, but thought it worth a mention.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: How to get ls to show local time and not GMT
Date: 1 Dec 2000 21:07:13 GMT

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:19:46 GMT, Steve Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Stupid thing I can't figure out. My RD 6.0 systems display the local
>time when I use 'date', but the date displayed by 'ls -l' is the GMT
>time.  Is there a way to change this?

Strange,  never seen ls display anything but the local time for file
time stamps.  What type of file system is involved.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 1 Dec 2000 21:08:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Martin Gregorie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2000 12:56:45 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Volker Apelt) wrote:

>>You know that backup is more than just having a second
>>copy of everything? good backup software maintains an
>>archive, too.
>>
> Any recommendations for archiving backup software for Linux?

amanda (www.amanda.org) is rather nice.  It takes a bit to set up, but
once you do, it practically maintains itself.

On the other hand, a cron job and good records will do the job too.

If you want to use dump, make sure to get the latest version from
dump.sourceforge.net.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: root password
Date: 1 Dec 2000 21:02:20 GMT

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:27:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >Help....I am running redhat 6.2 i386.  I was hacked and my root password
 >was changed.  I was able to boot to run level 1 and change the root
 >password to something else.  Now I can login as root using the password
 >I changed it to.  When I log directly into root it seems to work no
 >problem and allows me to do all the normal things root can do.
 >However if I do not initially login as root, I can not su to root, using
 >that password.  It says incorrect  password.  This happens whether I
 >su, su -, or su root.  Very wierd.  I am stumped?

Quite likely the su program has been replaced by a password sniffer.
I hope you have your data backed up because the best thing to do now
is to wipe your installation and re-install.  And this time, do the
security updates and install portsentry before re-connecting to the
network.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:25:46 -0500

Bob Tennent wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:27:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  >Help....I am running redhat 6.2 i386.  I was hacked and my root password
>  >was changed.  I was able to boot to run level 1 and change the root
>  >password to something else.  Now I can login as root using the password
>  >I changed it to.  When I log directly into root it seems to work no
>  >problem and allows me to do all the normal things root can do.
>  >However if I do not initially login as root, I can not su to root, using
>  >that password.  It says incorrect  password.  This happens whether I
>  >su, su -, or su root.  Very wierd.  I am stumped?
>
> Quite likely the su program has been replaced by a password sniffer.
> I hope you have your data backed up

Backed up from just before the cracker cracked your system, right?
Because afterwards, the data cannot be trusted. Juvenile crackers my
simply delete files, but the real nasties make just minor changes here
and there in your data.

Another reason not to back up your data to another hard drive: the
cracker can screw up both, so you have nowhere from where to
restore... .

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 4:20pm up 5 days, 23:47, 2 users, load average: 2.07, 2.16, 2.13

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:28:40 -0500

Steve Simons wrote:

> Stupid thing I can't figure out. My RD 6.0 systems display the local
> time when I use 'date', but the date displayed by 'ls -l' is the GMT
> time.  Is there a way to change this?

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ date; touch frammis; ls -l frammis; date
Fri Dec  1 16:26:36 EST 2000
-rw-r-----   1 jdbeyer  jdbeyer         0 Dec  1 16:26 frammis
Fri Dec  1 16:26:36 EST 2000
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ uname -a
Linux valinux 2.2.14-VA.5.1smp #1 SMP Tue Sep 12 21:26:21 PDT 2000
i686 unknown
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

I.e., works OK from here.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 4:25pm up 5 days, 23:52, 2 users, load average: 2.13, 2.16, 2.13

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:29:07 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 8.13. How Can I Enable or Disable Core Dumps?

Don Secrest wrote:

>         I used to get a core dump when a program crashed, but recently
> I no longer get coredumps.  I had a seg fault recently and wanted a
> core dump.  So I looked at the FAQs on my slackware cdrom.  It told me
> to use ulimit if I use bash shell, or limit if I use tcsh.  It also
> told me to consult the man pages.  I use tcsh so I typed man limit.
> No man page.  So I typed man ulimit, and I got a man page.  It
> contained a list of program names including ulimit and said these are
> obsolete programs, no longer used.

Shell built-ins are found under the shell's man page. Use man bash or
man tcsh, so on. A sample tcsh means of limiting to 1 kbyte (nice for
saving space but seeing that a dump occured):
limit coredumpsize 1

To view your current limit:
limit coredumpsize

To turn off coredump:
limit coredumpsize 0

>          Well my slakware cdrom is two years old, so I decided I
> needed a recent FAQ.  So yesterday Nov. 27, 2000 I looked at the new
> FAQ which is the subject of this note.  It was almost the same as the
> old one, but there were a few new leads.  It directed me to the "Linux
> Administrators Security Guide"  which doesn't even mention core
> dumps.
>         So I started looking around at the keyboard. I typed whereis
> limit,  no such file.  I typed limit and to my surprise I got a list of

Using the "which" command tells you the actual command that would be
used, based on your current path. Try:
which limit

Should tell you:
limit: shell built-in command.

> all of the limits on various things, and indeed the limit coredumpsize

To see a list of all limit items in tcsh:
limit

Will give something like:
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    1 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     1024
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         256
openfiles       1024

> 0 kbytes seems to be my problem.  So I diddled around and managed to
> set a new limit by typing limit coredumpsize 8000 , this gives a limit
> of 8 Megs on a coredump.  So obviously the command does exist.  So I
> typed where limit.  I know that sometimes whereis and where give

"where" looks for files...limit is a command, but it is built-in to the
shell. Use "which"; since it is not a file but a command, it will tell
you the file it resides within (tcsh).

> different answers and this time it was quite useful, where limit told
> me that limit was a builtin command in tcsh, so man tcsh gave me all
> of the information on core dumps I needed.
>         If this had been mentioned in the FAQ I would have been saved
> much time.  I feel that the FAQ is in need of updating.  For tcsh
> users typing 'limit coredumpsize 34' will give a limit of 34 kbytes
> for the present session.  Placing that command in the .csh file in
> your home directory will set the limits whenever you log on.

Documentation is always a problem...so many things to do, never enough
time. One of the problems I myself have run into while writing
documentation is that some things seem so obvious (I've worked in linux
since around kernel 1.0.9, and UNIXish systems longer) that it never
occurs to the author that someone might be using the wrong tool to look
at whatever subject is described. It's a bit like mind reading.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: Screen shots.
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:27:06 GMT

* Kyle Parfrey wrote:
> Hey.
> Does anyone know how to do screen shots in kde or gnome? I tried "print
> screen" and pasting
> into gimp and it didn't work.

the gimp has an option to take a screenshot.
So does xv

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

 "Who was that guy?" -Fry
 "Your momma! Now shut up and drag me to work." -Bender

------------------------------

From: "Russ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cron did not run, why?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:49:14 -0600

One possibility is that cron did not immediately read the new crontab. After
a crontab file is edited, cron needs to re-read the file in order to be
aware of any changes. This can be done either by stopping and re-starting
cron, or by using the "crontab -e" approach to modifying your crontab.

It could also be that the CPU was very busy and it just took a while before
the drive activity was noticeable.

just my $.02
Russ