Linux-Misc Digest #450, Volume #25               Tue, 15 Aug 00 00:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Attn: Bob M (Frank Hahn)
  Re: Anyone have info on how to setup a dial-in server (Erik)
  Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD (Bill Vermillion)
  Re: Linux on AMD (Craig Bingman)
  Re: Repost: bind key(combinations) to functions (ljb)
  Problem mounting Windows partition (David)
  Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep) (John Hasler)
  Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD (Bill Vermillion)
  Re: Problem mounting Windows partition ("Brian")
  [CGI] invalid method ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  migration from YP/NIS+ to LDAP (Leonid Andreev)
  LINUX / Win98 Dual Boot Hard Drive STUTTER! (lurp)
  Re: NIS+ (Kenneth Simpson)
  Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep) (Kris)
  Re: Attn: Bob M ("Skip Adams and Leslie Adams, M.H.")
  Freeware - Unix utility shell scripts ("Richard Anderson")
  Re: Linux on AMD (blowfish)
  Re: Linux on AMD (blowfish)
  Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD (blowfish)
  Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD (blowfish)
  Re: Booting from a different kernel image (Peter Mitchell)
  Re: File Sharing on Dual Boot ("Charles Sullivan")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: Attn: Bob M
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:09:45 GMT

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:47:21 -0500, Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
>spake unto us, saying:
>>Some Compaqs (maybe all?) come with the BIOS stored on the harddrive
>>and not in a BIOS chip that most motherboards use.  This data is stored
>>on something like the first 4MBs of the hard drive.  I believe it is
>>the F10 key that needs to be hit.  A search of http://www.deja.com
>>may give more specific answers.
>
>My two Compaq Deskpro 6000 boxes (PPros) have a primary disk partition
>that contains BIOS access/settings software and diagnostic software,
>but the BIOS itself doesn't reside there.

You are probably correct on this.

At work, we were given an old hand-me-down Compaq (100mHz Pentium, don't
know the model number).  One of the guys wanted Windows 95 put on it and
so I did.  At the same time, I decided to get rid of the small partition
at the beginning of the hard drive thinking that it was done by
someone at work to keep us from knowing anything about the hardware.

Everything went okay and I got MS Windows installed and it still
boots to this day.  This machine has been running for quite awhile
now.  Several months ago I was asked to look at putting a larger
hard drive in the machine.  I went to try and get into the BIOS
and found out I couldn't.

It was about that time that I started exploring the Compaq web site
and deja.com. ;)

--
Frank Hahn

"I'd love to go out with you, but I have to stay home and see if I
snore."

------------------------------

From: Erik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have info on how to setup a dial-in server
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:12:04 -0600

Stefan,
I'm also interested in this topic. Would you send this info file to me?
Thanks,
Erik
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stefan Soos wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Does anyone know where I can find documents on how to setup a dial-in
> > server on Redhat 6.2
>
> I've tried to send the info file to you, but your mailbox seems
> to exceed your quotas. Mail me, if you cleaned up your mailbox.
>
> You could also tell me some place, where I could upload it for you.
>
> Bye,
>
> Stefan
> --
> Send mail with subject 'get gpgkey' to recieve gpg-public-key

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.sco.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:48:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tony Lawrence  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>However, I think the purchase could mean very good things
>for Caldera- they pick up a lot of engineering talent, and
>of course source code for things Linux currently doesn't
>have -

Well part of this is exactly why Love left Novell and founded
Caldera.  He believed in Unixware, and He couldn't get those who were
so enamored of the Novell way to use the Unixware material they acquired
from USL to even look at it, so he started Caldera.   That makes Calerda
one of the early players in the Linux world - and the plus is that
it was founded by those who believed in Unixware

Love left in 1994.  It was a year later, 1995, when Novell sold the
USL to SCO.  More than a few left Novell when the Netware side came
on so strong against Unixare.

This is just my opinion/speculation, but given Love's past like of
Unixware and the fight's he fought for it at Novell, I suspect he's
had his eye on CSO for a while. I don't know if he was part of the
group that casued Novell acquire USL in the first place, but I
wouldn't be surprised.   THere's more to Caldera than 'just another
Linux company'.

I just went to check something and see the SCO Web site has
reverted to what it was last week instead of the SCO/Caldera
web page that came up eariler today.   This has to be confusing for
all concerned.

>As to being broken, I have had contrary  ...

I had the impression from the other poster that he meant 'broke' in
terms of no money.  Ah - such is this language we call English.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Bingman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: 14 Aug 2000 21:23:55 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, blowfish  <..> wrote:
>You know what?
>
>Actually it's very easy to show a newbie how to build from source.

Your comment presumes that there is someone to show the newbie how to
build from source.   In many cases, there isn't.  There certainly wasn't
anyone holding my hand when I first installed it, several years ago.

Craig

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   <  New Primary E-Mail Address
http://fpage1.ba.best.com/~cbingman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: Repost: bind key(combinations) to functions
Date: 15 Aug 2000 01:32:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>Is there a way to bind certain keys/keycombinations to start a function
>when pressed. My keyboard has an extra button to start a calculator in
>windows, and I'd like this button to function in linux (in X) too. And
>eg.?
>Does anyone know how to do this, or if it is even possible?

Generally it requires 2 things: first, the X server has to recognize
the key by keycode, and assign it a keysym; second, your window manager
needs to be able to catch the keysym and do something useful. (You
want the window manager to do it, so it works whatever window has focus.)

You can use xev to show the keycodes and keysyms, and xmodmap
to define keysyms for keycodes if they don't already have any.

I know fvwm2 can bind anything to any key, and Windowmaker
can bind its pre-defined functions to any key. Those are the two I
use, so I don't know about the others.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Problem mounting Windows partition
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:53:17 -0700

I have a Windows partition at hda1. When I try:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
I get the message "mount: mount point /mnt/win does not exist." I'm
doing this as root and double checked hda1 in fdisk, but I can't
figure out what is wrong. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:42:31 GMT

Kris writes:
> I have a headless P166 running Debian in the corner that I use as a
> NAT/Proxy/mess-about system, and I sometimes forget to shut it down...

Why shut it down at all?
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.sco.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:02:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Vermillion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I just went to check something and see the SCO Web site has
>reverted to what it was last week instead of the SCO/Caldera
>web page that came up eariler today.   This has to be confusing for
>all concerned.

Ah.  The page I saw this AM as the default is now linked on the
original home page as "New Web Sites".   That was a surprise when I
was trying to hunt for something and it had all changed.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Problem mounting Windows partition
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:55:22 GMT

Hi Dave:

David wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I have a Windows partition at hda1. When I try:
>mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
>I get the message "mount: mount point /mnt/win
>does not exist." I'm doing this as root and double
>checked hda1 in fdisk, but I can't figure out what
>is wrong. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks.

Well, the error message "mount point /mnt/win does not exist" means there is
no /mnt/win to mount to.

Try this first;

mkdir /mnt/win <enter>

or

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt <enter>

Either should work.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [CGI] invalid method
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 02:24:14 GMT

I am writing a CGI Perl script for users to change their e-mail
forwarding settings
the script will change /etc/mail/aliases and run /usr/bin/newaliases
this script is setuid to root

when the script runs until the following lines, error was shown in
Apache error_log:
system("/usr/bin/cp /etc/mail/aliases.save /etc/mail/aliases");
system("/usr/bin/newaliases");

The error in error_log is:
[Tue Aug 15 10:11:00 2000] [error] [client 202.35.43.14] Invalid method
in request quit

I have some questions:
1) What does the error "Invalid method in request quit" means?

2) When I change to:
`/usr/bin/cp /etc/mail/aliases.save /etc/mail/aliases`;
`/usr/bin/newaliases`;

the first line can be executed, but the second line can't be executed,
Why?

3) What is the difference between ` and system()?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonid Andreev)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: migration from YP/NIS+ to LDAP
Date: 14 Aug 2000 22:22:27 -0400

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody out there is using LDAP as their main
directory service (instead of YP/NIS+). RedHat comes with a collection
of migration tools that translate your /etc files and/or NIS maps into
LDIF files, plus the nss_ldap library and a collection of pam.d
replacement files; there's even a preconfigured ldap-aware
nsswitch.conf replacement. The whole migration process seems like a
straightforward enough thing to do, but I would really like to hear
some real-life stories; how reliable/robust/simple to administer the
whole scheme is? Is it more/less secure than NIS? NIS+?  I'm really
interested in your experiences, good and bad alike. Thanks in advance
for any info you can provide!

Email replies are especially appreciated.

best,

-leonid

------------------------------

From: lurp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX / Win98 Dual Boot Hard Drive STUTTER!
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 02:29:43 GMT

Okay we have all seen wierd problems associate with LINUX.
But I am close to giving up on LINUX TOTALLY.

I have a DUAL BOOT system 133Mhz 4.2Gig HDD 24M RAM and am USING
LINLOAD.EXE as my boot strap.

Okay Now you know what I have...now here is the problem...
Before I installed LINUX RedHat 6.1 I had Win98 installed as a sole
operating system on my HDD.  The HDD worked fine..But since I installed
LINUX RH6.1 as a SECOND operating system on my IDE Hard Drive my HDD has
been experiencing SPIN DOWN's  ... It would act as if it was trying to
read some DATA then in a deteriating fashion the HDD light would STEADILY
BE ON and then a few seconds later I could hear the HDD WIND DOWN
completely with NO SIGNS OF LIFE...

I don't know if it is somehow related to LILO ( which during the
installation process I told it to install in the "/boot "  dir NOT the MBR)

Sometimes the HDD would pause and start up (WIND UP) again and read DATA
again until it felt like it.

ANY IDEAS?  and NO it's not the HARD DRIVE!...

From: Kenneth Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIS+
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:41:52 -0700

Hi - I tried it under Redhat 5.x without success.

Decided to run the NIS+ servers in the NIS compatability
mode.

It also appears Redhat has at least two different implementations
of NIS. I would avoid the one without ypbind.

-- Ken

Brat wrote:

> I Recall that Linux currenlty supports only NIS (not NIS+) - at least as
> a server. It could be possible to
> make Linux act as a NIS+ client dunno...
> (this was the situation at start of this year)

Kenneth Simpson                          Well Connected Computing, Inc.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             1001 Bridgeway
Voice: +1.415.332.5018                   Sausalito, CA 94965
FAX:   +1.415.331.1668                   USA, Earth

From: Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:41:08 +0100

John Hasler writes:

> > I have a headless P166 running Debian in the corner that I use as a
> > NAT/Proxy/mess-about system, and I sometimes forget to shut it down...
>
> Why shut it down at all?

Because it's an old 1994-ish machine with the original processor fan and
power supply (i.e. very very noisy). It's also around 5 meters from my
bed. I've tried sleeping with it on, honestly! Alas, I cannot :-(

If you heard how it sounded you'd want to turn it off at night, trust me
:-)

--
Kris | ab imo pectore | PGP: 0x34941A9F
F438 005B 9700 E14E 0B8F D3D7 C98E CF45 3494 1A9F

------------------------------

From: "Skip Adams and Leslie Adams, M.H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:05:05 -0500

Well, thanks once again for all the help. I did get into BIOS. (which is to
say I got to the partition) I have to tell you that it is the most different
BIOS screens than I have ever seen. So, what should I look for or change in
the BIOS. I was thinking of turning off PnP and experimenting some. But the
fact of the matter is that I am perfectly willing to build a dedicated Linux
machine. 486's are cheep now. My wife is getting a 400megahertz Mac Power
Book the first of next week. But, I have found that even if she tells me it
is okay to  use her computer, it is a better plan to NOT us it. She still
says I can use it (she even has DSL at work that I could use.. awfully
tempting.. but.. I don't think so..
I wonder if any of you fellows that are using these Compaq's with the BIOS
access on the HD have had any luck with running Linux on them. If this is
going to be a battle of major proportions I might be better off just getting
another machine. I have to admit that Compaq has gone downhill. I owned 2 of
the old 8808 machines and I loved them. Real workhorses. Remember the ones
that had the keyboard in the lid. Compaq Portables. This one however has
been a nightmare. So much junk loaded on them coming out of the box that it
is scary. I really dislike Microsoft's stuff...
Okay, back to the problem at hand. How do I find what is conflicting with
ttyS0 ?
Thanks all once again. I am back off down the yellow brick road insearch of
IRQ 4
Thanks
Skip
"Expertise is measured in units of mean time between RTFM"

------------------------------

From: "Richard Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Freeware - Unix utility shell scripts
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:02:30 -0700

The software product Typhon (www.unixscripts.com) contains over 100 portable
Korn shell scripts for text processing, file and directory processing,
customizing your login environment, disk space management, performance
analysis, system monitoring and system security.  It includes generalized
login environment files for the Korn shell, bash and the C shell.

Some of the functions of Typhon:

* Substitute one text string for another in all files in a directory tree,
  skipping non-text files. The substitution strings can be regular
expressions
  or plain text.

* Display all subdirectories as a visual directory tree.

* Copy a file to multiple remote hosts, with disk backup of the target file
on
  each host.

* List all subdirectories in one or more directories, including symbolic
links
  to directories.

Part of Typhon is distributed as freeware, part as a commercial product.
You
can download the freeware or purchase the product at www.unixscripts.com.

Richard Anderson, Ph.D.
Chief Technology Officer, Raycosoft

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:25:01 -0700

Craig Bingman wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, blowfish  <..> wrote:
> >You know what?
> >
> >Actually it's very easy to show a newbie how to build from source.
>
> Your comment presumes that there is someone to show the newbie how to
> build from source.   In many cases, there isn't.  There certainly wasn't
> anyone holding my hand when I first installed it, several years ago.

All the  newbie has to do is ask.

Oh. BTW. I never tell any newbiw to RTFM like those "guru". I try to help them to
solve their problem.

For the record. I NEVER had any formal computer/programming trainning. It's just a
hobby started many years ago. My background has nothing to do with cs, or ee, or
math. And I figured out everything all by myself. And I know those fscking manuels
are just that. FM. Most are outdated.

> Craig
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]   <  New Primary E-Mail Address
> http://fpage1.ba.best.com/~cbingman

--
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.
  (c)Copy Righted by Alex / blowfish-2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:29:14 -0700

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:29:24 -0700, blowfish
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Why are you here, instead of one of the advocacy groups where this crap
> >> belongs?
> >>
> >Ouch. A RedHead gets hurt.
>
> I don't use Red Hat, and I'm tired of your trolling.

GNU/Debian... Right?

You can choose to ignore my posts, or kill file my posts.

The options are yours. But this is a public, open forum. I don't like a lot of
things others are posting too. But it's freedom of speech. So. I live with it.
;-)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:38:25 -0700

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Tony Lawrence  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >However, I think the purchase could mean very good things
> >for Caldera- they pick up a lot of engineering talent, and
> >of course source code for things Linux currently doesn't
> >have -
>
> Well part of this is exactly why Love left Novell and founded
> Caldera.  He believed in Unixware, and He couldn't get those who were
> so enamored of the Novell way to use the Unixware material they acquired
> from USL to even look at it, so he started Caldera.   That makes Calerda
> one of the early players in the Linux world - and the plus is that
> it was founded by those who believed in Unixware

Yeah. I understand that Caldera is one of the early Linux player. Like Slackware
and SuSE.

> Love left in 1994.  It was a year later, 1995, when Novell sold the
> USL to SCO.  More than a few left Novell when the Netware side came
> on so strong against Unixare.

I had very limited experience with Novell. Tried SCO for a little while. It seems
to me that SCO had always been kind of funky.  Maybe they made a lot of decisions
on the Santa Cruz Beach while surfing, instead of in the broadroom.

> This is just my opinion/speculation, but given Love's past like of
> Unixware and the fight's he fought for it at Novell, I suspect he's
> had his eye on CSO for a while. I don't know if he was part of the
> group that casued Novell acquire USL in the first place, but I
> wouldn't be surprised.   THere's more to Caldera than 'just another
> Linux company'.

I know, Linux is just part of Caldera.

> I just went to check something and see the SCO Web site has
> reverted to what it was last week instead of the SCO/Caldera
> web page that came up eariler today.   This has to be confusing for
> all concerned.
>
>From what I've read. What they have released on their press release to the IT rags
are different to what they talked about their plans are, to the financial news
reporters.

It's confusing as hell.

> >As to being broken, I have had contrary  ...
>
> I had the impression from the other poster that he meant 'broke' in
> terms of no money.  Ah - such is this language we call English.

My apology. I should have used the word "bankrupted" instead of the word "broke."

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:41:23 -0700

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Vermillion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I just went to check something and see the SCO Web site has
> >reverted to what it was last week instead of the SCO/Caldera
> >web page that came up eariler today.   This has to be confusing for
> >all concerned.
>
> Ah.  The page I saw this AM as the default is now linked on the
> original home page as "New Web Sites".   That was a surprise when I
> was trying to hunt for something and it had all changed.

That's part of the beauty, or the curse of the web. Instant changes/updates at a
moment's notice. :-)

From: Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting from a different kernel image
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:18:10 -0700

You can do it with loadlin - just pass the name of the new
kernel in the parameters.

The other problem (which applies with lilo and loadlin) is
if the modules don't match the kernel, eg different
versions. I don't know what is the best way to handle this.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: File Sharing on Dual Boot
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:42:59 GMT

Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dances With Crows wrote:
>
> > If you have a LoseModem (often mistakenly called "WinModem"), rip it out
> > of your computer, sell it to a stupid person, and go buy a Real Modem
> > (defined as an external modem that connects to the machine using a DB9
> > serial port.  $50 US or so.) They're easy to set up in Linux, and
> > provide better throughput+fewer disconnects no matter what OS you're
> > using in my experience.
>

> A small list of reasons not to use internal modems:
>
> o External modems are only a few dollars more than internal.
> o Internal modems are just one more damn thing using the
> precious few interrupts your computer has.
> o Internal modems take up a slot that you might need someday
> for something else.
> o Modems can get so confused that only shutting them off
> will clear their problem.  You don't want to shut off your
> server when that happens, do you?
> o If lightning comes down your phone line (it happens) and
> you have an internal modem, your whole computer is likely to
> be fried.  With an external modem, you'll lose the modem,
> but probably not anything else.
> o You can see what's going on with an external modem.  You
> can see when the modem is receiving, transmitting,
> handshaking- much easier to diagnose problems.
> o You can share an external modem between multiple computers
> either manually or by an A/B box- again this facilitates
> testing and is sometimes very convenient.
> o When you upgrade your computer, swapping the modem is much
> easier.
> o When you finally get your cable modem, DSL line or T1 :-),
> you might actually be able to sell that external modem, but
> used internal cards are near worthless.

Mostly good reasons, except for the 2nd.  The serial port to which
you connect an external modem uses an interrupt, so there's no
savings.