From: "Robert Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake 7.2: standby no longer viable option
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:17:03 GMT

I used to use "standby" quite frequently as a means of letting my laptop
rest while not in use (under Mandrake 7.0). Now, after having upgraded to
Mandrake 7.2, resume is somehow called five seconds after a call to
standby. (I would like to avoid suspend if at all possible: the power
switch has failed three times in three years on this machine (Gateway
Solo 2300), and I want to avoid using the switch as much as possible.)

The following is from the syslog, following the command 'apm -S' from the
command line (as root):

Mar 25 18:50:47 localhost apmd[1663]: User Standby
Mar 25 18:50:52 localhost apmd[1663]: Standby Resume after 00:00:05 (98% unknown) AC
power

Does anyone know
  1] why resume is called and by which process? 2] how I can control the
  behaviour of ampd so that standby is once
again useful?

Thanks,
-- Robert

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LILO vs. loadlin
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:32:41 GMT

Why not use LILO as your boot manager?

suggested lilo.conf:   (lilo 21.2 or later REQUIRED)

===================================
boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=50
lba32                   <-- you WILL need this line; you have big disks
default=Win98           <-- use whichever default you like
disk=/dev/hdc           <-- these two lines may, or may not, be needed
    bios=0x81           <--   "

image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hdc1
    read-only

other=/dev/hda1
   label=Win98
===================================

I assume that your BIOS makes drive /dev/hdc1 available as 0x81.

--John

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:45:50 +0200, "Taavi Hein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>#the questions are marked with '***' (three asterisks)
>#the other stuff is here only to make the message longer ;)
>
>My computer was/is running W98SE (oem), and I installed RH7 on top of it,
>conf. as follows:
>
>/dev/hda1 -- W98 -- fat32 -- 10GB
>/dev/hdb  -- CDROM -- iso*
>/dev/hdc1 -- Linux -- ext2fs -- 20GB
>/dev/hdd5 -- file archive -- fat32 -- 2GB
>+swap
>
>When I started the install, I switched drives for BIOS to boot to Linux (on
>/dev/hda - the only option available - referred to as drive C: in BIOS) ,
>where I planned to install LILO(for more information look at the table
>below) and everything worked fine, until I tried LILO to boot W98, then it
>hanged, saying booting windows...
>
>The trouble seemed to be, that W98 would only boot as /dev/hda (primary
>master), so I switched the drives back. Now, not wanting to install LILO in
>/dev/hda (it being a windoze drive and all), I set up W98 to display boot
>menu with choices, which OS to boot - using loadlin.exe to boot Linux.
>Command to invoke Linux is as follows: "shell=c:\loadlin\loadlin.exe
>c:\loadlin\vmlinuz2 mem=128M root=/dev/hdc1 ro"
>
>*** The questions are: "If I installed LILO on /dev/hdc1 (currently on
>/dev/hdc (MBR) as installed since the drive was /dev/hda), booted to Linux
>using loadlin.exe, would it first run LILO (for kernel testing etc.) and use
>the kernel image defined there, or would it still use the kernel image on
>/dev/hda1 (W98 drive - for loadlin.exe to find it)? Would it be worth the
>hassle, or should I just copy a new compiled kernel image to the appropriate
>directory on /dev/hda1 and rewrite the startup menu?"
>
>TABLE1:
>"which drives were where" aka 'changelog'
>===
>at first i had only w98
>---
>/dev/hda1 -- W98 -- fat32 -- 10GB
>/dev/hdd  -- CDROM -- iso*
>/dev/hdc5 -- file archive -- fat32 -- 2GB
>===
>bought a hd and installed rh7
>---
>/dev/hda1 -- Linux -- ext2fs -- 20GB
>/dev/hdb5 -- file archive -- fat32 -- 2GB
>/dev/hdc1 -- W98 -- fat32 -- 10GB
>/dev/hdd  -- CDROM -- iso*
>+swap
>===
>switched the drives back
>---
>/dev/hda1 -- W98 -- fat32 -- 10GB
>/dev/hdb  -- CDROM -- iso*
>/dev/hdc1 -- Linux -- ext2fs -- 20GB
>/dev/hdd5 -- file archive -- fat32 -- 2GB
>+swap

LILO version 21.7 (24-Feb-2001) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches to -2 at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows-me,alt.windows98,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.windows
Subject: Re: Windows ME and Windows 98 and Linux comp.
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:08:01 -0800

AK wrote:

> I am thinking of putting Windows ME onto one of my machines
> .. it has 2 Harddisk.. identical in size..
>
> Anyway the HDs has these partitions:
>
> C: Win98
> D: 15GB I plan to put ME on.
> E: Linux
>
> On E: I plan to put Linux.
>
> If I did a setup D: or (whatever the switch is) would my MBR be OK?
> Can all these 3 OSs exist OK.. and would my DOS be preserved?
> I am using loadlin to load linux so it wont touch the MBR.
>
> What would happen if D: was on a removable HD... would the system
> he able to boot OK?

You cannot dual boot Win98 and WinME, unless you use a third party boot
loader.  Each will overwrite the other's MBR.  Perhaps loadlin can do this?
I'm not familiar with that utility.

The question is, why the hell would you want to dual-boot what are
essentially identical Windows OSes?  Complete waste of time and expense,
IMO.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: command to lowercase all file name in current directory
Date: 26 Mar 2001 01:24:34 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "kellyboy" <kellyboy@nospanner> writes:

>What is bash command to  lowercase all file in current directory... ??

Not a bash command

>using :

>mv FILE.TXT file.txt

for i in *
do
NEW=`echo $i | tr [A-Z] [a-z]`
if [ "$NEW" != "$i" ]
mv $i $NEW
fi
done

------------------------------

From: "ThanhVu Nguyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ssh to linux/unix from windows
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:24:17 -0500

hi,

is there a freesource program that allows me to telnet or connect to a
linux/unix machine and be able to run X on it ?   I know Hummingbird's
Exceed can do it but its' a commercial program ?

thanks for your inputs

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: real player 8
Date: 25 Mar 2001 22:05:22 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink) writes:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:21:40 -0600 Jeffrey S. Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I have followed all the instructions and doco's I can find on RP8
> >under Linux and have not been able to get it going with anything but
> >local files. It doesn't stream like the Windoz side does.
>
> Works fine on this Debian Potato system.

hey, please give the full story, :-) I just check the realplayer
that comes with Debian Potato is only 7:

  __ Opt contrib/ realplayer   <none>      7.0.2.2     Real Player (installer)

Hope anyone who posted "mine works" can also post which distro
you've having and whether it is a standard component or you get it
from somewhere else, and most important, where. :-) thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  *niX Power Tools Project: http://xpt.sourceforge.net/

------------------------------

From: "Gregg Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.linux
Subject: Trouble with Epson Stylus Color
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:17:40 -0800

I was doing a reinstall of my 7.2 set because I just received the ext2 disk
(yeah I know... newbie... shouldn't have to do this).  Anyhow, as I got the
printer setup, I selected lpd instead of CUPS(my general linux book doesn't
cover this daemon).  BTW, what is the CUP Server?

So I selected lpd thinking that's the safe choice.  Then selected at first
the Stylus Color... something plain txt driver?  After mapping it to
/dev/lp0 and selecting the default quene, the printer didn't work.  Tried it
with 360 x 360 res, letter size, and ASCII test. No workie. After that I
went back up the install tree and selected the Epson 800 / Esc P2 since my
stylus color is a Esc P2 model.  That still didn't work.  Tried postscript
as if that's going to help anything.  You're probably going to ask if I
redirected standard output to the printer, and yes I did.  That works, but
just the driver doesn't.  What can I try and do differently here?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Trouble with Epson Stylus Color
Date: 25 Mar 2001 21:21:26 -0500

www.cups.org

>So I selected lpd thinking that's the safe choice.  Then selected at
>first the Stylus Color... something plain txt driver?  After mapping it
>to /dev/lp0 and selecting the default quene, the printer didn't work.
>Tried it with 360 x 360 res, letter size, and ASCII test. No workie.
>After that I went back up the install tree and selected the Epson 800 /
>Esc P2 since my stylus color is a Esc P2 model.  That still didn't
>work.  Tried postscript as if that's going to help anything.  You're
>probably going to ask if I redirected standard output to the printer,
>and yes I did.  That works, but just the driver doesn't.  What can I
>try and do differently here?

I would suggest going to http://www.linuxprinting.org and look around.
Great site. I found it a bit of ordeal to get an Epson 777 to do both
postscript and nice color, but it certainly is workable. And that site has
all the answers. FWIW, I am using the gimp-print driver for images, etc.
and the postscript generated driver from linuxprinting for most
everything else. And with CUPS too. One nice feature of cups is an web
interface for managing printer, queue, etc.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ssh to linux/unix from windows
Date: 26 Mar 2001 02:58:46 GMT

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:24:17 -0500, ThanhVu Nguyen staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>is there a freesource program that allows me to telnet or connect to a
>linux/unix machine and be able to run X on it ?   I know Hummingbird's
>Exceed can do it but its' a commercial program ?
>thanks for your inputs

PuTTY.exe works.  250K, self-contained (no "install procedure", just
copy the file to somewhere on your machine and execute it), supports
color codes, also does telnet.

Oh, wait.  Your subject line is misleading.  X-servers and ssh are not
the same thing.  I think you want VNC.  It's GPLed and runs under Win32
and Linux.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "J. E. Garrott Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.linux
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:08:59 -0800

Gregg Black wrote:

> I was doing a reinstall of my 7.2 set because I just received the ext2 disk
> (yeah I know... newbie... shouldn't have to do this).  Anyhow, as I got the
> printer setup, I selected lpd instead of CUPS(my general linux book doesn't
> cover this daemon).  BTW, what is the CUP Server?
>
> So I selected lpd thinking that's the safe choice.  Then selected at first
> the Stylus Color... something plain txt driver?  After mapping it to
> /dev/lp0 and selecting the default quene, the printer didn't work.  Tried it
> with 360 x 360 res, letter size, and ASCII test. No workie. After that I
> went back up the install tree and selected the Epson 800 / Esc P2 since my
> stylus color is a Esc P2 model.  That still didn't work.  Tried postscript
> as if that's going to help anything.  You're probably going to ask if I
> redirected standard output to the printer, and yes I did.  That works, but
> just the driver doesn't.  What can I try and do differently here?

CUPS (tm) is the Common UNIX Printing System.
Not too bad.  I use it on my Linux From Scratch
partition.  On my Slackware partition I use
Apsfilter.  Both work fine.

I assume you're using Mandrake, which I have
no experience with, but I believe you still need
Magicfilter or Apsfilter (or CUPS) to do a proper
job.  See the Linux Printing-HOWTO.

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

From: Steve Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shutdown permissions
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:20:54 -0700

==============E3D23EC5768F73AF74380254

==============E3D23EC5768F73AF74380254

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:18:01 -0700
From: Steve Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This definitely does not work for me, either setting "All" or "Console Only". I
would have to call this a bug.

Any other ideas?

Steve

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:15:08 -0700, Steve Smith staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> >We have a standalone PC at home running both Suse 7.1 Linux and Windows
> >ME. We use KDE on Linux, with the default graphical login manager.
> >
> >Since this is at home, it would be nice if pushing the "shutdown" button
> >
> >on the graphical login manager would allow anyone to shut the machine
> >down. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do this. Pushing this
> >button requires entering the root password before shutdown will occur.
> >
> >/etc/shutdown.allow sounded like a good possibility, but it doesn't seem
> >to do
> >the job. The man page implies that you have to be logged in and have
> >permission in the shutdown.allow file. No one is logged in when the
> >graphical login manager is up.
> >
> >Any suggestions of what to do or what to read to figure this out will be
> >greatly appreciated.
>
> Log in to X as root.
> KDE Control Panel -> Login Manager
>    One of the options here is "allow to shutdown."  You can set this to
> "root only", "console only", or "all".  I set mine to "console only",
> but "all" will also work.  HTH,
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
> -----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

==============E3D23EC5768F73AF74380254==

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: restricted bash shell question
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (anthony stuckey)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:20:05 GMT

Dave <dave@???.com> writes:
>What part of this invokes the restricted shell?

>In otherwords, /bin/rbash in your intructions points directly to
>/bin/bash.  If I'm reading this right, I might as well just set the
>shell to /bin/bash.

        No, because presumably bash checks what name it is run as.
        Polymorphic binaries are moderately common in the unix world.

[localhost:/bin] stuckey% ls -lai test \[
4164 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  13656 Feb 24 02:50 [
4164 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  13656 Feb 24 02:50 test
[localhost:/bin] stuckey% ls -lai csh tcsh
4168 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  318108 Feb 24 02:54 csh
4168 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  318108 Feb 24 02:54 tcsh
[localhost:/bin] stuckey% ls -lai /bin/pax /usr/bin/cpio /usr/bin/tar
4182 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  98704 Feb 24 02:51 /bin/pax
4182 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  98704 Feb 24 02:51 /usr/bin/cpio
4182 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  98704 Feb 24 02:51 /usr/bin/tar
[localhost:/bin] stuckey%
--
Anthony Stuckey                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Administrator, students.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: 26 Mar 2001 03:25:37 GMT

says...

>Hope anyone who posted "mine works" can also post which distro
>you've having and whether it is a standard component or you get it
>from somewhere else, and most important, where. :-) thanks

Try

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=realplayer&submit=Search+...

I have NOT tested it yet!

Jim
remove not for email

------------------------------

From: SolarisCert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Tomcat] how to add a new context
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:39:39 +0800

I have installed Tomcat without Apache integration
how can I add a new context?

what I have done:
add the followings to server.xml
        <Context path="/abc"
                 docBase="webapps/abc"
                 debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" >
        </Context>

mkdir the following directories:
mkdir $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/abc
mkdir $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/abc/WEB-INF
mkdir $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/abc/classes

copy the servlets to $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/abc/classes

after restarting tomcat, I can get it work

when I surf http://tomcat-server:8080/abc/servletprog
the standout output generate the following errors:
2001-03-26 10:36:36 - Ctx( /abc ): 404 R( /abc + /serv......

Anything I missed?

------------------------------

From: "ThanhVu Nguyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:51:07 -0500

Sorry, I want to connect to a nix machine and able to use X on it.  Can't
run VNC because the Nix machines don't have those.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: 26 Mar 2001 03:41:25 GMT

On 25 Mar 2001 22:05:22 -0400 * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hey, please give the full story, :-) I just check the realplayer
>that comes with Debian Potato is only 7:

I used the .bin file and installed manually, not using dpkg/apt.  The
Debian mailing list has carried claims that you can just rename the
downloaded binary to match what dpkg expects and it'll install.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: 26 Mar 2001 03:55:09 GMT

In article <99mcrh$sk2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>says...
>>

>>Hope anyone who posted "mine works" can also post which distro
>>you've having and whether it is a standard component or you get it
>>from somewhere else, and most important, where. :-) thanks
>>

>Try
>
>http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=realplayer&submit=Search+...
>
>I have NOT tested it yet!

Forget it! That appears to be an expired, evaluation copy of their commercial
product, not the free one ...

The RealNetworks rpm for rp8 looks like it requires libc6, which is not in
Red Hat 6.2 as best as I can tell (version 5 something is). And, the upheaval
it would cause on my Linux copy just isn't worth it.

Jim
remove not for email