From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Directory Handling
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:03:19 -0400

Harlan Grove wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >>If I am to handle very lengthy and complex directories while doing a
> >>high level application processing...
> >>
> >>Is there any utility to go back and forth easily in the directories?
> >>
> >>For example
> >>
> >>If I am in the 10th sub-dir and want to go to the 4th sub-dir back
> >>and from there another route...
> >
> >You mean like cd ../../../.. ?
>
> Could still be a lot of typing. Put the following into your ~/.bachrc

I think he meant that he needs to do this within some
application which presumably has some sort of chdir()
call..)

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allowing all users to access and write to a partition
Date: 15 Aug 2000 23:26:24 GMT

loco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: After reading this thread..... and the man page, it comes to my clear view
: that most linux users are fucking brainless twits who have no real desire to

o read the man page again. I was about to give you the oe lie you
eeded, but after this, I won't (beseides, I can't guess the components
of the commad as they will be specific to your setup).

: I probably will never figure out how to mount a fat32 partition in
: read/write mode, but that's ok. I will be proud of one thing that NONE of

You certainly won't. It requires one more brain cell than you appear to
possess ...

: you assholes can ever call yours - I am willing and able to teach anyone and
: everyone what I know. I will help those less fortunate than myself. I see

That won't take long.

: read/write mode because the man page is written for PROGRAMMERS and not for
: LAY PEOPLE. It is always the lay person who is asking the "stupid"

Boo hoo. Tears spring to my eyes. And who do you think these
programmers are, if not lay people? They're not clergy. They seem to
be about 60% of the population at colleges and unis ..

: spent only a few seconds to type the command and explain it, we all could

No way fellow. I'm also not going to tell you how to eat cornflakes, in
teeth grinding detail.

: here, I remember back to when I purchased my first computer, and could find
: many people who were able and willing to help me with MSDos.... maybe I

Help with msdos! Do me a favour ... there were only about 20 commands,
all listed in the help.

Consider the countless millions who have no trouble with mount. Then
consider yourself.

Personally, I'd bet you're talking about ntfs and not vfat.

From: Dave Barcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Busy cdrom
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:38:28 -0500

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> Dave Barcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am trying to unmount my cdrom and the mount command keeps telling me
> > it is busy.  I tried to see if there were any open files on it using
> > lsof and there aren't.  Nor is it the cwd for any processes.
>
> Are you sure of that last bit?  Sometimes such things are hard to determine.
> If you launched a backgrounded process from anywhere under /mnt/cdrom,
> even if the host shell is gone, the cdrom will still look busy if that
> process is alive.

Yes I am pretty sure of the last bit.  I look in the process table and there
aren't any processes anywhere near /mnt/cdrom.  I use lsof and there aren't any
open files.

> Anyways, what environment are you running in?  I don't run Gnome or KDE or
> any such stuff, but they may have their grubby little fingers in there
> somehow.

I just have console enabled on my box.

>  Also, on the off chance, are you running VMware?  When the devices
> are connected to the guest OS, they'll look busy to Linux.  You can
> disconnect them and that will solve the problem.

No VMware.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:42:30 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > Yeah.  I'm paying an average of $300.00USD a month for my telephone charges too,
> > plus my DSL and internet access charges from the same telco.
>
> > If you're not paying for your access. You're leeching.
>
> Ballcocks...
> I'm helping to finance freenet with my phone charges. Without my (and all
> the others) use of their service, they wouldn't HAVE any revenue.

No. You Dickwart,

Without having to finance the freenet.  They'll have a lot more revenue left for
other things.

> Therefore, I'm not leeching. And OOO! Aren't you lucky, having DSL...
> some of us are still stuck with normal modems.

Yeah. Been using commercial grade DSL in my SOHO for a couple of years already.
Got it within the first week when my telco started offering the service in my
area. :-)

> >> Now he claims not to even know what a bot is...
> >> It's a program that parses english and attempts to come back with a
> >> reasonable reply. You're obviously in the pre-alpha stages of developement.
>
> > Only humanoids and machineheads use the term "bot." ;-)
>
> Good.... So now you're not a humanoid...
> So what are you? Tentacled blob perhaps? Amoeboid lifeform?
> Afterall, you can't be human, because the subset "human" falls into the set
> "humanoid".

I'm just a whimpy everyday normal human being.  Neither a superset, nor a subset
of anything. :-)

Maybe you're a "Tentacled blob" superset of "Rachel?" :P~

> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
> |            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
> |     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.
  (c)Copy Righted by Alex / blowfish -2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:51:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Barcelo wrote:
>I am trying to unmount my cdrom and the mount command keeps telling me
>it is busy.  I tried to see if there were any open files on it using
>lsof and there aren't.  Nor is it the cwd for any processes.
>
>Can anyone help?
>Dave

Try using fuser.

$ mount /mnt/cdrom
$ cd /mnt/cdrom
$ /sbin/fuser /mnt/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom:           6015c

$ ps -ef | grep 6015
korthals     6015  6013  0 19:42 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
korthals     6070  6015  0 19:49 pts/2    00:00:00 ps -ef
korthals     6071  6015  0 19:49 pts/2    00:00:00 grep 6015

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:55:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > So. You're leeching off a free service. ;-)
>
> Agsin. How am I leeching off a free service when the service isn't FREE?
> Grrrr... Learn to read you total moron!

> >> Telephone charges fund it. That's how it works at the moment.
>
> > So now you admitted it. You're leeching off, getting a free ride.
>
> Errrr... How does "telephone charges fund it (that I'M PAYING) equate to
> leeching???
>
> I think you need to go back to school and learn a little bit of that reading
> comprehension. You seem to be able to understand individual words but can't
> grasp the meaning of sentences.
>
> > A bot?  No. I don't even watch sci-fi movies. Never like those tech stuff.
>
> *sigh*
> Now he claims not to even know what a bot is...
> It's a program that parses english and attempts to come back with a
> reasonable reply. You're obviously in the pre-alpha stages of developement.

*SIGN*

So sad...

Dickbot now needs a program to parse English before he can understand the
meaning...

What's the world coming to!?

*SIGN*

FYI. Dickwart,

I comprehend human languages with my brain, without needing any help from any
parsing program.

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Problem mounting Windows partition
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:13:49 -0700

Wow, that was too easy :) None of the instructions I came across for
mounting a windows partition mentioned I had to create the directory
first. I must have looked at about 5 resources on the subject. It
works fine. Thanks for the help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Garry Knight)
Subject: Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:18:32 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, nospam@david-
steuber.com says...

>There are emerging IDE type tools for
>programming.  Maybe there are such tools for web development.

Applixware, StarOffice and WordPerfect all include the ability to design
HTML pages in WYSIWYG mode.

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Garry Knight)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:18:33 +0100

says...
>If I am to handle very lengthy and complex directories while doing a high
>level application processing...
>
>Is there any utility to go back and forth easily in the directories?

You might find pushd and popd useful.

--
Garry Knight

From: Dave Barcelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:25:19 -0500

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Barcelo wrote:
> >I am trying to unmount my cdrom and the mount command keeps telling me
> >it is busy.  I tried to see if there were any open files on it using
> >lsof and there aren't.  Nor is it the cwd for any processes.
> >
> >Can anyone help?
> >Dave
>
> Try using fuser.
>
> $ mount /mnt/cdrom
> $ cd /mnt/cdrom
> $ /sbin/fuser /mnt/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom:           6015c
>
> $ ps -ef | grep 6015
> korthals     6015  6013  0 19:42 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
> korthals     6070  6015  0 19:49 pts/2    00:00:00 ps -ef
> korthals     6071  6015  0 19:49 pts/2    00:00:00 grep 6015

I think that got me somewhere, here is what happened:

[root@taz ~]# cd /mnt/cdrom/
[root@taz /mnt/cdrom]# fuser /mnt/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom:           2279c
[root@taz /mnt/cdrom]# ps -elf | grep 6015
000 S root      2304  2279  0  79   0    -   287 pipe_r 19:07 pts/0
00:00:00 grep 6015
[root@taz /mnt/cdrom]# ps -elf | grep 2279
100 S root      2279  2277  0  70   0    -   434 wait4  19:05 pts/0
00:00:00 -bash
100 R root      2307  2279  0  71   0    -   619 -      19:15 pts/0
00:00:00 ps -elf
000 S root      2308  2279  0  70   0    -   287 pipe_r 19:15 pts/0
00:00:00 grep 2279
[root@taz /mnt/cdrom]# kill -9 2279
Command terminated on signal 9.

>From there I kicked off my ssh session.  So I logged back in and this is
what happened:

[root@taz ~]# fuser /mnt/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom:
No process references; use -v for the complete list
[root@taz ~]# fuser -v /mnt/cdrom

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/mnt/cdrom           root     kernel mount  /mnt/cdrom
[root@taz ~]# mount
[mntent]: line 8 in /etc/mtab is bad
/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /homes type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /root type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /tmp type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /var type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
sentry:/home on /home type nfs (rw,soft,intr,addr=147.26.100.245)
sentry:/usr/packages on /usr/packages type nfs
(rw,soft,intr,addr=147.26.100.245)
[root@taz ~]# umount /dev/cdrom
[mntent]: line 8 in /etc/mtab is bad
umount: /dev/cdrom: device is busy

I keep getting the error
      [mntent]: line 8 in /etc/mtab is bad

This is what /etc/mtab looks like:

[root@taz ~]# cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda1 / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /homes ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 /root ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda8 /tmp ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /usr ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /var ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro -1073742732 134522436
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sentry:/home /home nfs rw,soft,intr,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0 0
sentry:/usr/packages /usr/packages nfs rw,soft,intr,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0
0

What do you think?  btw thanks for the help.

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: redhat or what?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:28:53 GMT

What is the best linux out there? redhat seems to be one of the big guys
but can anyone suggest another linux? why or why not?

Thank you

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: +@ in /etc/passwd?
Date: 15 Aug 2000 23:55:42 GMT

Check out "man nsswitch.conf" and search for "netgroup".  In
particular, check out "compat mode".

And Dan Stromberg Spoke:

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Aug 2000 16:10:16 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>>> For example
>>>
>>> If I am in the 10th sub-dir and want to go to the 4th sub-dir back and from
>>> there another route...
>
>> You mean like cd ../../../.. ?
>
>I think he wants to go forward again as well...
>So something like...
>
>$directory=$PWD
>cd ../../../..
>do stuff
>cd  $directory
>
>should do it...

  cd ../../../..
  do stuff
  cd -

is easier if "do stuff" does not include changing to any new
directories.  If other directories are used in "do stuff", then
this works:

  pushd .
  cd ../../../..
  do stuff
  pushd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
From: Gary Krupa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tin accents
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:06:37 GMT

How can I view accented characters correctly when I run tin -r? Thus far,
I've only been able to see question marks where the accented characters
should be.

I've tried mm_charset=ISO-8859-1 in tinrc, and setting the environment
variables TEX2ISO=6 and ISO2ASC=6. None of that made any difference.

Gary Krupa