Linux-Misc Digest #457, Volume #26                Sun, 3 Dec 00 18:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: KDE defaults :: change! ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Is Sendmail working? (Paul Repacholi)
  start 'smbpasswd -a usery' NOT as ROOT? ("Doni")
  Re: Is Sendmail working? (David Woolley)
  Runing WINE without WINDOWS partition ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: KDE defaults :: change! (Edward M. Collins)
  Re: looking for video capture card for linux (Jay Bratcher)
  Modem - ISDN-Anlage - Modem - Rechner ? (Michael Meyer)
  Re: problem with tcsh and bksp key (Sven Mascheck)
  Which mail client can get only the headers on a POP account ? ("Emmanuel Beranger")
  Re: POS application? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Newbie qu: assign variable ("Lion")
  Re: KDE defaults :: change! (Kyle Parfrey)
  Re: Netscape 6.0 with SuSE 7.0? (Steve)
  kde 2.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I need a good book on Sendmail (Manfred Bartz)
  Re: Creating PDF (acrobat) files ? (Phil Mattey)
  Re: kde 2.0 (Edward M. Collins)
  Re: Which mail client can get only the headers on a POP account ? ("Garry Knight")
  Xterm question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IBM graphical characters (Dennis J Perkins)
  Re: Which mail client can get only the headers on a POP account ? ("Meat-->Plow")
  Re: Freezing Box - *whimper* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  backdoor(s) (rusty)
  Re: backdoor(s) (Hal Burgiss)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE defaults :: change!
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 16:57:12 +0100

Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How can I change the default programs that KDE uses to open different
> kinds of file?

Read the%&//&% help in KDE. It explains it very clearly. And besides
that you can click on the apps and mime entries on the window for your
home directry and change the bindings any way you want.

> Kghostview is useless compared to ghostview etc.

?? I prefer mgv.

> Will this also apply to other programs calling a program (eg Klyx
> opening kghostview,
> I want it to open ghostview)??

Then you'll have to tell klyx that. Isn't it just lyx?

comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Is Sendmail working?
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Dec 2000 16:48:14 +0800

"Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does that mean that SMTP is working too.  Or does Sendmail NOT use SMTP?
> (I am from a Microsoft Exchange background).

SMTP is a protocol. It can't be 'working' as you imply. Sendmail
uses SMTP ( amongst others ) to transport mail. It would apear to
be working minimially. Or perhaps overminimially. It could be
open to anyone to use to launch spam, possibly at your expense
in time and money. It's a notorious pig to fully configure,
and is way over featured for the modern IP network environment.
But it's 'standard'.

So in short, SMTP is 'working'.

~Paul

------------------------------

From: "Doni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: start 'smbpasswd -a usery' NOT as ROOT?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 17:56:16 +0100

i want two people to administer via webmin-samba in windows 98 all others.
The other users will be added in webmin by those two people but then have to
use the command "smbpasswd -a userX" in linux. How can they do it without
logging in with "root" but with their names? SetUID doesn't work because I
MUST not set it for root (that's what linux says) - I tried 'chmod 4744
smbconf'. Is there a script I can use to encrypt ALL passwords AT ONCE in
linux? (to make it more comfortable for those two people?)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Woolley)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:30:08 +0000

In article <4zfW5.495110$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does that mean that SMTP is working too.  Or does Sendmail NOT use SMTP?

Sendmail is, the reference implementation for SMTP!!!!  The real question
is does Exchange implement it (historically MS were late comers and
initially had very poor implementations).

What sendmail doesn't implement is POP3 or IMAP, as these are workstation
protocols for LANs.  POP3 was adopted by early ISPs because SMTP
implementations are not well adapted to part time connections and
simple users would likely be using POP3 programs intended for LANs.
Unfortunately, users then started using, cheap, single user connections
for whole companies and rather than switching to an appropriate protocol
(UUCP over TCP for part time connections and SMTP for full time ones),
they started kludging POP3.  (Demon have always offfered SMTP, even
on part time connections.)

(The problems with POP3 is that it doesn't define any mechanism to
communicate the envelope destination of a message.  I think IMAP is
similar, but IMAP is very much a split client protocol, and intended for
workstation use when there is an always on connection to the server.)

(The problem with UUCP is that it is older than SMTP, therefore unacceptable
in a fashion driven market.)

MAPI is an API, not a protocol, i.e. it is only defined within a single
machine.

[ Was cross-posted to peer and immediate parent newsgroups; this is
  misuse of cross-posting, more typical of Windows users; newsgroups
  exist to differentiate sub-topics.  Followups pruned. There should
  not be both a comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.misc as they would both
  imply the same charter - questions that did not fit any other group,
  so I suspect that comp.os.linux is a bogus group; dropping immediately.]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Runing WINE without WINDOWS partition
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:18:18 GMT

I want to run a WINDOWS .EXE program and download and installed WINE
but I do not have a WINDOWS partition.
How i configure WINE to run the .EXE program?

Thanks.
C.A.L.

From: Edward M. Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:36:44 GMT

KLyX is a port to qt of LyX, I don't know if it is currently being developed,
it's not in KDE2 from what I can tell.It was a couple of versions behind LyX,
but still quite functional. The QT based gui is better looking and easier to
use than that weird Xforms stuff that LyX uses. I really wish that they'd
switch LyX to GTK+ , QT ,or even Motif.

Ed Collins

--
   I'm semi-ambidextrous -- equally clumsy with either hand.
Edward M. Collins                       Dearborn, Michigan USA

------------------------------

From: Jay Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for video capture card for linux
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 18:29:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi
>
> i'm looking for a good video card with an onboard tv tuner and that can
> do decent video capture. (video capture must be preferably done at
> 352x288 or higher resolution captured at at least 24fps). A big plus
> would be if the card could do real time mpeg compression (i dont even
> know if there are cards that can do this).
>
> i currently have an ATI card, but there's almost no support for the tv
> tuner in linux.
>
> any recommendations would be appreciated. please feel free to specify as
> much detail about the card as u'd like or just leave a URL i can visit
> to get more info :)
>
> thanks
> ali

Have a look at these pages for more info...

http://heroine.linuxave.net/bcast2000.html - video editing software (seems
to be a good package, but requires some kernel patches, and needs LOTS of
CPU).

http://linuxmedialabs.com - look at the lml33 card, which does realtime
mpeg compression.  I haven't used this, but it looks promising.

Jay

------------------------------

From: Michael Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem - ISDN-Anlage - Modem - Rechner ?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:52:08 GMT

Hallo,

bevor ich stundenlang was probiere was gar nicht geht,
frage ich lieber hier:

Ich möchte mich in meinen Rechner zuhause (Suse 6.4)
von extern einwählnen. Extern steht mir ein Analoganschluß
zur Verfügung. Der Rechner zuhause hängt an einem ISDN-An-
schluß. Das dies nicht funkt ist mir soweit klar.

Aber ich habe zuhause noch eine Eumex mit Modem daran. Ist
es möglich:

Extern über Modem in die ISDN-Anlage zuhause einzuwählen und
mich dann über das angeschlossenes Modem in meinen Rechner ein-
zuloggen.

gruesse
michael

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with tcsh and bksp key
Date: 3 Dec 2000 19:10:01 +0100

Jean-Yves Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > > > I have stty erase ^H in mt tcshrc file.
 > > better start with 'stty erase <ctrl-v><"erase"-key>'
 > This is exactly what I did : stty erase <ctrl-v><bksp key>

Ah, i always believed, that Unix generates '^?' at the console.

 > > and you haven't explained your motivation.
 > What do you mean by motivation ?

Forget that, if your backspace actually generates '^H'.

And an 'stty sane' fixing things is weird anyway.

I suggest we better continue via email.

Sven

------------------------------

From: "Emmanuel Beranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Which mail client can get only the headers on a POP account ?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 19:31:28 +0100

And then, on selection, dowload or delete the messages bodies from the mail
server ?

like, for instance the "offline" feature of M$ Exchange 4 - (sorry for this
...)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: POS application?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:19:34 GMT

ag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to find GPL POS software and am not having much luck.

i know it's hard, the various proprietary solutions seem to have the
piece of shit software area cornered.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Lion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie qu: assign variable
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:46:58 +0100

thanx
so how can i nest multiple '' ?

example:
test='startproc /sbin/ifconfig eth0 | sed -n
'/Bcast/{s/.*addr://;s/.*//p;}''

it works without the test='xxxx'
thanx in advance
Lion

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:57:50 GMT

I find klyx better than the lyx version that came with mandrake 7.1. It
looks nicer,
and doesn't have any annoying bugs like lyx. I'm convinced it works
better too....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Netscape 6.0 with SuSE 7.0?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:47:30 -0500

* muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I tried Netscape6 on Suse7 -- Slow as molasses, and prone to freezing.  I
> then tried Mozilla M18 -- download size one third, and it runs fast and
> without freezing, and with, as far as I can see, all the (?)functionality
> of Netscape6.
>
> Recently, the keys of [EMAIL PROTECTED]  's computer
> randomly danced and produced
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :
>
> > * Mordak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >> Hi all, Has anyone tried Netscape 6.0 with SuSE 7.0 or any other flavor
> >> of *nix yet? If so how was the setup and are there any problem or
> >> immediate bugs showing their ugly heads? Thanks, Mordak
> >
> > Yep - tried it, then went to mozilla. Runs fine.

It has all the functionality except crypto. There is an opensource crypto
module to download and install separately. Not difficult to install at all.
See <http://docs.iplanet.com/docs/manuals/psm/psm-mozilla/>.

--
Steve - Toronto
===============

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kde 2.0
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:57:42 GMT

Can I, and if so how would I install KDE 2.0 on my RedHat 6.2 box?

comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: I need a good book on Sendmail
From: Manfred Bartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 20:53:54 GMT

"Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Anyone know of a good book for Sendmail?

I don't think it is impossible to write a really good book about a
bad program.  The most important documents about sendmail might be the
long list of security exploits in its history, check the appropriate
sites, e.g. sans.

Do yourself a favour and use a different MTA.

--
Manfred

------------------------------

From: Phil Mattey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creating PDF (acrobat) files ?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:09:49 +0000

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>
> >>Does anyone has a trick to create PDF file with using Tex or the
> >>PostScript format ? From a .doc (staroffice) would be really cool !
>
> >if you have it in tex-format, do teh following:
> >latex foo.tex
> >dvips foo.dvi
> >ps2pdf foo.ps
> >
> >(there might be shorter way for the tex-thing).
>
> There's a version of TeX (pdftex?) that creates pdf output
> directly rather than going through dvi and ps intermediates.
> I've never tried it. You can't use EPS figures w/ pdftex (which
> I want to do), so I do exactly what you've described above.
>
> You'll generally get much better PDF results if you use
> standard PS fonts rather than the TeX default CM fonts:
>
> \usepackage{times}
>
> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have accepted
>                                   at               Provolone into my life!
>                                visi.com
I think that Corel Draw for Linux will create PDF's but not sure if you
will be able to import/open a staroffice doc though..

------------------------------

From: Edward M. Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kde 2.0
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:05:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can I, and if so how would I install KDE 2.0 on my RedHat 6.2 box?
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Yes you can. See www.kde.org
RPMs are
at:http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/2.0/distribution/rpm/RedHat/rh6.2/i386/

I hope you've got a *DSL or cable connexion. It's a lot of kilobytes:)

Ed Collins

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:41:57 +0000

In article <90e3e0$rjh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Emmanuel Beranger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And then, on selection, dowload or delete the messages bodies from the
> mail server ?

There was a program on FreshMeat that did something like this:
pop3-checker-p3c-0.1.1b.tar.gz

--
Garry Knight

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 02:23:38 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Xterm question

hi

whenever i start up xterm, rxvt, Eterm or some other terminal in
Xwindows, it does not go to my home directory ie. $HOME. Instead, it
goes to the directory I originally installed enlightenment from.

What do i need to change to make the default directory [rxE]term go to
my $HOME directory?

thanks
ali

------------------------------

From: Dennis J Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM graphical characters
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:21:11 -0700

Thanks for the help.  I think I can make the program work now.

--
  Dennis

------------------------------

From: "Meat-->Plow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:17:15 -0500

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 19:31:28 +0100, "Emmanuel Beranger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>And then, on selection, dowload or delete the messages bodies from the mail
>server ?
>
>like, for instance the "offline" feature of M$ Exchange 4 - (sorry for this
>...)

You could access your pop service via a terminal and view headers if
you know the command(s)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Freezing Box - *whimper*
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:23:17 GMT

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I work for Ossec International (ossec.com, if you're interested in
our
> > page/product/whatever). We have recently installed a firewall at a
> > company in our base here in Sydney. Everything was going okay until
> > three weeks in, when it suddenly stops, it just freezes - no
keyboard
> > input, nothing.
> > We thought at first it might be a hardware problem/conflict of some
> > kind so we took out the four-port ethernet card and replaced it with
> > three standard ones. Then it was still freezing, so we just replaced
> > the entire box with one with a quicker processor.
> > It's still freezing.
> > The only clues we have to what may or may not be happening is one
entry
> > in the Apache access_log which gives a line that looks like this:
> > ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
> > right after the freeze is registered as happening.
> > The company in question gets alot of emails every day; over 5,000.
Even
> > though they use Microsoft Exchange as their mail server ( we shan't
> > hold that against them too much; we're a pretty easy-going company,
as
> > companies go ) it still shouldn't be enough to freeze the box up
> > entirely.
> > We are using a slimmed-down SuSE 6.4 on the box ( slimmed down in
that
> > it's a firewall; we don't have a compiler, or any other uneccessary
> > stuff on there that might interfere with security in any way ).
> > Please help! I am but a humble trainee with no clue as to why this
is
> > happening. Any more freezes ( it's now once a day, at half three in
the
> > afternoon, bang on time - sometimes more ), and they are probably
going
> > to cancel the contract, and as we are such a new company, we need
all
> > the contracts we can get!
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> If you run out of both physical ram and swap, it will freeze. Servers
> can use a lot of memory, and if it has caching DNS on it, that too
can.
> You might want to monitor closely the amount of swap it has, and how
> much is used, up till the time it freezes.
>
> And if there is a slightly low power line voltage at that location, or
> spikes and other surges, it can show up that way as well. Make sure
you
> have a good UPS on the line that can handle brownouts. Make sure the
> power supply in the machine is sufficient for the hardware.

I'm pretty sure it's not a physical ram or swap problem because because
the cpu and memory usage never falls below 50%. Most days, I've seen it
hover at around 98% idle. We even have a top.log and there has never
been any processor usage that has taken it anywhere near maximum
capacity.
Similarly, we are not using caching DNS. We are using external DNS and
we don't cache it inside the firewall. It's not really acting as a
server.
The company in question has a pretty good UPS and a well insulated
power supply already. Although it is entirely likely that there may be
power surges, having spent alot of time troubleshooting on site, I
think I can say that I don't believe it to be a power-supply problem in
any way, which is what makes it all the more frustrating that I can't
figure out why it's still freezing.

As to your last suggestion about it being an i840, I realised I should
have informed you, but it's an 810 chipset, so I don't think that is
the problem, either.

From: rusty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: backdoor(s)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:48:16 -0700

*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

Hello,

I've been told that several versions of MS Windows have 2 or more back
doors.  I hope this isn't a stupid question - but - does Linux have
any known backdoors?

  **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com

* Anonymous posting server!      | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers!                 | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers!         | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server!          | * Instant access!
* ADULT ONLY Server!             | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server!               | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server!        | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!

  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com
        **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: backdoor(s)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:56:19 GMT

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:48:16 -0700, rusty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***
>
>Hello,
>
>I've been told that several versions of MS Windows have 2 or more back
>doors.  I hope this isn't a stupid question - but - does Linux have
>any known backdoors?

Yes and no. Linux can be secure or insecure, depending on what you are
doing, how it is configured, and who is behind the wheel. If you are
connected to the Inernet, you need to take precautions: don't run
services you don't really need, make sure you have the latest version of
the ones you are running, firewall as much stuff as you can.

This is really obnoxious stuff  | The ad is much larger than your post.

--
Hal B