Linux-Misc Digest #464, Volume #25               Wed, 16 Aug 00 15:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: IBM offers COIN to OS community (Matthew Saltzman)
  If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell? ("Bradley J. Bartram")
  Re: IBM offers COIN to OS community (Matthew Saltzman)
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file (Shawn E. Corkery)
  Rescue disk on RH 6.1 (fernando)
  Re: If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell? (John Gluck)
  Re: If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell? (Troutman)
  Memory recommendation (Sandhitsu R Das)
  Re: If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell? (Patrick M Geahan)
  What do you think of Storm 2000? ("Database")
  Re: How to start the ftp? (Mattias Nilsson)
  Re: Rescue disk on RH 6.1 (Alex)
  Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep) (Kris)
  Reading IP header (Amit Utreja)
  Num caps lock in X (Marco Giardini)
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Booting to /dev/sda2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  HELP:  No Sounds for Events (Matthew Lybanon)
  Re: random Linux freezing (Crni Gorac)
  Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux (fyi) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: random Linux freezing (Crni Gorac)
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: random Linux freezing (Crni Gorac)
  Re: streaming-video software? (Joachim Feise)
  Re: recompiling kernel (Charles H. Chapman)
  Re: Rescue disk on RH 6.1 ("famlucas")

From: Matthew Saltzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,sci.op-research
Subject: Re: IBM offers COIN to OS community
Date: 16 Aug 2000 12:55:35 -0400

James Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > The one problem with COIN at this point is that it does not appear
> > to include much in the way of the actual _solver_ code.  They talk
>
> how about implementing OSI hooks for  lp_solve, then you'd have a
> completely open source tool.
>
> James

Capital idea!

I am on the COIN development team.  If anyone wants to take on the
lp_solve layer of the Open Solver Interface (OSI), please contact me
at the address below.

Thanks for your interest.

                Matthew Saltzman
                Clemson University Math Sciences
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

------------------------------

From: "Bradley J. Bartram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:31:56 GMT

Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?

I realize the implications of this but unfortunately the person who needs
this needs to do some tasks on the linux box but is not command prompt
savvy.  (what's the world coming to?)

Thanks

Brad

------------------------------

From: Matthew Saltzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,sci.op-research
Date: 16 Aug 2000 13:17:36 -0400

Sorry to follow up my own post, but I meant to mention the real URL
for COIN:

        http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/coin

Thanks.

From: Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:17:05 GMT

> The only other thing I can think of would be the files attributes.
>
> Run 'lsattr /etc/inetd.conf'.  What's the output?  If it's something
> like this...
>
> =====
> : linux8 8#; lsattr /etc/inetd.conf
> ----i--- /etc/inetd.conf
> =====
>
> ...then that's the reason you're not able to write the file or change
> its permissions/ownership.  The 'i' means that the file is immutable,
> and nothing can be done to it, even as root.  To modify the
attributes,

that's what was wrong.  thanks.  Any ideas on what would cause that
file to become immutable?

Shawn

From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rescue disk on RH 6.1
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:19:16 -0600

Ok,

This should be easy but I cannot find the way.
A user messed the /etc/inittab and now his machine is not booting right.
All I want is a floppy rescue disk who will allow me to mount an ext2
partition in RW mode.   I already tried the RH images but no one gives
me a prompt.
I also tried some mini distributions but they do not allow to mount ext2
partitions in RW mode, they always say the partition has unsuported
features.

Thanks for any help

--
=========
Real e-mail: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: John Gluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:29:44 -0400

"Bradley J. Bartram" wrote:

> Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
> can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?
>
> I realize the implications of this but unfortunately the person who needs
> this needs to do some tasks on the linux box but is not command prompt
> savvy.  (what's the world coming to?)
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad

I used to run Exceed by Hummingbird software.
There are also other solutions available but I haven't tried them.

--
John Gluck  (Passport Kernel Design Group)

(613) 765-8392  ESN 395-8392

Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed here are strictly my own
and do not reflect any official position of Nortel Networks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Troutman)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: 16 Aug 2000 13:41:39 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bradley J. Bartram) graced us with the following:

>Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
>can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?
>
>I realize the implications of this but unfortunately the person who needs
>this needs to do some tasks on the linux box but is not command prompt
>savvy.  (what's the world coming to?)

Go d/l VNC.  A quick websearch will find it for you.  Awesome product.  ANd
free.

    Mike Troutman
         http://www.troutman.org

------------------------------

From: Sandhitsu R Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Memory recommendation
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:53:21 -0400

Can somebody recommend a brand-name 128MB PC133 module for my K7V -
remember K7V is picky about memory. The module that I have now seems to be
generic - I don't want another generic module.

------------------------------

From: Patrick M Geahan<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:02:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Bradley J. Bartram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Seriously, I need to set up a remote win98 box to run an X session.  Where
> can I get some info on what I need to do to get this to work?

Well, if the Linux and Win98 box are on the same subnet OR both are
IP-addressable over an external network, then it's pretty easy.

Windows box runs an X server of some sort.  I use Microimages
X-server(mix), but that's a little ugly.  If oyu need prettier stuff, it's
out there.  After the Windows box starts it up, on the linux box, you run:

"xterm -display $WINDOWS_BOX_NAME:0 &"

Now, you can replace "xterm" with any program that will respond to a
redirected display.  $WINDOWS_BOX_NAME can be replaced by an IP address,
if that's easier.  the :0 part tells it to use Xterminal 0.

If the windows box is behind a firewall, port forwarding MAY be possible.
On my ipchains firewall, there's a program I can run that will redirect
connections to "$Server:x" to another machine on the internal network.

Of course, none of the above deals with security.  You can xforward with
ssh and I believe ssl, if you're worried about security.

--

=======Patrick M [EMAIL PROTECTED]=======ICQ:3784715======
Quote of the Week: "I can't believe I barfed in Harrison Ford's

------------------------------

From: "Database" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What do you think of Storm 2000?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:59:41 GMT

From: Mattias Nilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: How to start the ftp?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:02:13 +0200

Alan Po wrote:

> Dear sir
>
> I am using Mandrake Linux and I find that the ftp server is not
> automatically startup. How can I run a ftp server on my Linux? Please give
> me some idea.
>
> Furhtermore, I found that Mandrake Linux request to run many servers by
> manual such as Apache or Samba. How can I config the Linux so that these
> servers will run when startup?
>
> Alan Po

Using DrakConf on your desktop is the easiest way. Press startup and add
ftpd.

------------------------------

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rescue disk on RH 6.1
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:02:37 -0400

fernando wrote:

> Ok,
>
> This should be easy but I cannot find the way.
> A user messed the /etc/inittab and now his machine is not booting right.
> All I want is a floppy rescue disk who will allow me to mount an ext2
> partition in RW mode.   I already tried the RH images but no one gives
> me a prompt.
> I also tried some mini distributions but they do not allow to mount ext2
> partitions in RW mode, they always say the partition has unsuported
> features.

Did you try login single user mode?

At lilo prompt, just type "linux single" without the quote of course...

Hope this help.

Alex.

> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> ---------
> Real e-mail: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com
> These are my personal opinions

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

------------------------------

From: Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:06:07 +0100

John Thompson writes:

> Spend a few bucks on a decent fan.  I have an even older system
> (1992 vintage 486dx33 upgraded to 5x86/133) with a power supply
> fan, cpu fan and external SCSI HD enclosure with its own power
> supply and fan running 24x7.

Unless I can get the whole thing near-silent then there's little point
in buying a new power supply - the hard drive's an old Seagate 1.x gig
which is just as loud as the PSU. If it's possible to buy a case + PSU +
HD that's both very cheap and ultra-quiet, then I could run it 24/7
(translation: does anyone happen to know of anything? :-) )

Cheers,
  Kris

--
Kris | ab imo pectore | PGP: 0x34941A9F
F438 005B 9700 E14E 0B8F D3D7 C98E CF45 3494 1A9F

------------------------------

From: Amit Utreja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reading IP header
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:21:18 -0400

Hi
I am writing a program that can read IP header of each Network packet
received by ethernet card. It seems that the struct sk_buff (defines in
skbuff.h)  points to the packet in the form of a Circular Linked List.
How can I link the struck sk_buff  which is defined in  my program to
the actual packet in the kernel. How can I reach the first packet in the
buffer uisng sk_buff struct through my program
Please help.

-Amit

------------------------------

From: Marco Giardini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Num caps lock in X
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:25:52 +0200

How to set as default the caps lock in X?
I log in using XDM and i need every time to set the caps lock manually.
I've read the xset man page but xset led 3 doesn't work on my debian
I386 linux box.
Any idea?
Thanks for replying to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

.oesse.

.--------.---.-.----.----.-----.
|        |  _  |   _|  __|  _  |
|__|__|__|___._|__| |____|_____|

Marco Giardini
http://linux.tecnogi.com
http://gimp.tecnogi.com

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 18:15:55 GMT

Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: In article <8ne634$cp1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : get the following message "Can't open file for writing".
:> Well, obviously that FS is mounted readonly. Hardly "weird".
:>
:> Sounds like you're working on an fat FS there! But maybe just an
:> artifact of the RO FS.
:>
:> How did you get /etc into a RO state? It's darn hard to make a RO root
:> FS work. For one thing you need permission to use /dev/console, and its
:> permission won't change on login if the FS is RO. So only logging in as
:> root could work (which is a no no).

: Thanks for your response, however, I have verified that the FS is
: mounted RW and I can modify other files in the /etc folder.

Please respond BELOW the qoute.  Reformatted.

Please listen to what you are being told ..  and offer EVIDENCE of
whatever you say.  The first thing you should deduce is that you are
incapable of interpreting the data correctly, so make sure to provide
the data verbatim, not your interpretation of it!

If you aren't willingly in runlevel S or 1, then your system simply has
set itself RO as a defensive measure. Please show the output of
tune2fs, as asked.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 18:21:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:> > > Well, obviously that FS is mounted readonly. Hardly "weird".

: Obviously some people are lacking a bit in the Linux world.  People on
: here are looking for help, not looking to get a smart-ass response.  How
: about taking everything into consideration next time.

: ANYWAY, the easiest way to find out if your fs is mounted read-write or
: read-only is to issue the 'mount' command:

No it isn't.  That only reflects the result of mount syscalls (and mount
calls issued without the -n switch).  It's a cat of /etc/mtab or
/proc/mounts.  The FS can put itself into mount state on its own (e.g.
when it detects an error) without changing either of those.  Vfat does
this a lot.  Ext2fs does it less, but it can happen.  Look at the output
of dump2fs. And you can do it invisibly yourself with a -n switch to
mount. Such as when you reboot ...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 18:18:23 GMT

Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <8ne9u0$16ua$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   "Markus Grossmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> "Shawn E. Corkery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
:> news:8ne8o3$qnb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> > In article <8ne634$cp1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:> >   "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> > > Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> > > : This is really wierd.  I'm logged on as root and I'm trying to modify
:> > > : the inetd.conf file.  When I try to save my changes I get the

:> Then have a look at /etc/passwd and /etc/group if everything is ok
:> with that. (Should be root:x:0 both times).
:> If not, tell us what you see.

: ls -ln /etc/group
: -rw-rw-r--    1 0              0        556 Aug 16 10:37 group

: ls -ln /etc/passwd
: -rw-rw-r--    1 0              0        932 Aug 16 10:37 passwd

Arrrrrgh. Zero length passwd files. Well, just about what you'd expect
if someone had a messed up FS. Or tried editing them in an unusual way.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Aug 2000 18:22:54 GMT

Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> The only other thing I can think of would be the files attributes.
:> ----i--- /etc/inetd.conf
:>
:> ...then that's the reason you're not able to write the file or change
:> its permissions/ownership.  The 'i' means that the file is immutable,
:> and nothing can be done to it, even as root.  To modify the
: attributes,

: that's what was wrong.  thanks.  Any ideas on what would cause that
: file to become immutable?

A call to chattr OR a messed up FS. Since you persist in not showing
meaningful output data on the FS, who can tell! Try dumpe2fs.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Booting to /dev/sda2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:25:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Dave Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8nd0ve$f0m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Guys,
> >
> > I've seen many posts regarding booting with LILO and only getting
'LI'.

> > Well, I've tried all the suggestions I've seen with no luck.  Here's
my
> > setup:
> >
> > /dev/hda1 = NTFS
> > /dev/hda2 = WIN98
> > /dev/sda2 = Linux
> >
> > /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda2 both have the boot flag set.  I am
> > running bootpart for the NT OS Loader (to get Win98 bootable) and am
> > also using it to boot to Linux.  This is where the weird stuff comes
in.
> > First, let me say that I have /etc/lilo.conf set up very simply.  No
> > linear/disk/bios options.  boot and root are both set to /dev/sda2.
> >
> > Here's what happens.  When I change my BIOS to boot to the SCSI disk
> > first, I get the full 'LILO'.  I can hit the shift key and see my
> > kernel, but when I press return, I get "Unexpected EOF" scrolling
down
> > my screen.  (Hmm.)  When I tell my BIOS to boot to IDE-0 (/dev/hda),
> > get only 'LI' and nothing else.
> >
> > I've tried adding disk and bios options with no luck.  I'm gathering
you
> > can't just put anything in for bios.  How do you determine what
value
> > goes in there.  I have 3 IDE disks and 1 SCSI disk, so, being the
4th
> > drive in the system, should I say 'bios=0x83'?
> >
> > Even when I use /dev/hda (the MBR), I only get 'LI'.  So, to me, it
> > seems that the problem is when LILO attempts to get secondary boot
> > information (if that's the correct terminology).
> >
> > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -rd
>
> Just a thought, when I went to booting from scsi I turned off all ide
drives
> in the bios, ie the bios thinks it has no ide drives, linux does not
need
> the bios to find ide drives. I did this so that I did not need to
alter
> lilo. It might be worth a try for you. NOTE: all my drives , 2 ide, 1
scsi
> were extfs2 systems.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

I thought about doing that, but then would I be able to boot off
/dev/hda?  /dev/hda is where bootpart is loaded and controls the booting
of WinNT and Win98...  I can try it anyway and see what happens...

From: Matthew Lybanon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP:  No Sounds for Events
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:28:42 -0500

I have not been able to get sound for events (e.g., login, logout, menu
item activation, the annoying sounds that go with AOL Instant
Messenger) when running under GNOME.  I do have sound working.  I can
listen to RealPlayer files, hear embedded sound in web pages using
Netscape, listen to various types of sound files with XMMS.  Further, if

I run under KDE, sounds for events work.

If I use the GNOME Configuration Tool to "Enable sound server
startup," then when I log in it takes 30 seconds or longer, rather than
the second or two required otherwise.  Also, it then takes longer to
load programs.  And I still don't get sounds for events (even when the
"Sounds for events" box in the GNOME Configuration Tool is checked )!
None of the systems people here can figure it out.

Here are the details of the setup I'm using:
Linux Mandrake release 7.0, Operating System Release 2.2.14-15 mdk
Pentium III processor
Ensoniq ES1371 sound card

Obviously this isn't a problem that is preventing me from doing useful
work, but it's a little disturbing that something is wrong and (so
far) the problem is a mystery.  I would be grateful for any constructive

suggestions.

 | Matthew Lybanon                     | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
 | Mapping, Charting, & Geodesy Branch |                         |
 | Naval Research Laboratory           | (228) 688-5576          |
 | Stennis Space Center, MS 39529      | (228) 688-4853 (fax)    |
 | USA                                 |                         |

From: Crni Gorac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: random Linux freezing
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:25:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I had this problem as well, but I was able to compile a kernel in
> single-user mode (at the LILO prompt, type linux single).  Hope this
> helps!

Didn't help, same problem appears again...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux (fyi)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:27:18 GMT

I was at the Linux World conference and I ran across a non-IBM girls
who was yelling,  "I love DB2".  Yesterday IBM developerWorks Open
Source Zone posted a Case Study on the early developments of IBM DB2
for Linux.  In this piece members of the IBM dB2 team tell their story
and offer insights.   I just though some of you DB2 lovers may enjoy
this.

Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux:  Behind the scenes with IBM's DB2 team
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/db2/index.html?
open&l=201,t=gr,p=lDB2

From: Crni Gorac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:28:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  .. wrote:
> RedHat: Do you know what Red means?
>
> R=Repair / Rebuild
> E=Everyday
> D=or Die.
>  ;-)
> --

Same problem appears with both 6.1 and 6.2 versions of RedHat Linux as
well as with Slackware 7.1...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:32:24 GMT

In article <8nei9r$7a3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> attributes,
>
> that's what was wrong.  thanks.  Any ideas on what would cause that
> file to become immutable?
>
> Shawn

Cool.  I'm glad that fixed the problem.

The only way I know that files become immutable is when someone
intentionally makes them that way.  Do you know if anyone else has root
access to your system?

I'm pretty familiar with Slackware, but not so much with the other
distributions.  I guess it could be that the other dist's make certain
files that way to stop mistakes from happening.  (??)  I'm really not
sure.

If you do have other people accessing your system, you may want to
restrict that if you're not sure what they're doing.

Glad things are working for ya...

-rd

From: Crni Gorac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:33:15 GMT

> Random freezes, especially during heavy operations like compilations,
> *should* lead to suspicion of hardware problems.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

> First: Have you overclocked your machine? Overclocking can
> definitely lead to such problems.

No, machine is not overclocked.

> Second: Read log-files, especially /var/log/messages, and see
> if there's something strange going on.

Nothing unusual there.

> Third: If you are comfortable fooling around inside the
> computer, try to remove a piece of RAM, and see if it
> helps. If it does, it's likely that it was that piece of RAM
> that was bad. If it doesn't, remove another piece of RAM and
> put the first one back in. Repeat until all RAM has been
> cleared.

I was suspecting on this mostly, however I first cheched RAM with some
memory checking software, then followed your instructions, but machine
still hangs on each try.

> Fourth: IRQ conflicts. Read /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports,
> and see if you can find all hardware that you expect to find.
> PCI units can safely share interrupts, IDE units can not.

Again, everything is fine there.

I've also tried in the meantime with downgrading to RedHat 6.1, as well
as to installing Slackware 7.1. But the problem is still there - kernel
compilation is always freezing machine...

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: streaming-video software?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:37:32 +0200

Marcel Post wrote:

> > > The idea is that if someone connects to my website, a live stream of
> video,
> > > coming from my webcam is delivered to the client in realvideo format.
> > >
> > > What free software is available for linux to do this?
>
> > The basic Real server is free.
> > I use it to stream audio.
> >
> > -Joe
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> Do you feed it with audio from your linux, or via a connected machine inside
> your own network?
> Because I'm still not sure about linux supporting my usb cam. Any experience
> with that?

There are two parts to it: the RealProducer and the RealServer.
The RealProducer takes the sound off the soundcard, and provides it at a TCP port.
The RealServer takes it from there to give it to the world.
In my current setup everything is done on Linux, but in the early stages, I had
run tests with the producer on NT (I didn't have a soundcard in the Linux box at
that time), and the server running on Linux, and it worked fine.

I'm not sure, though if these tools are still free for Windoze. Real changes
that quite a bit sometimes. And the free tools are hard to find on their site,
anyway.

-Joe

------------------------------

From: Charles H. Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recompiling kernel
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:25:52 -0400

Eugene Y Lee wrote:
> I've been trying to recompile the kernel to get USB support and whenever
> I try to boot to the new kernel it gives me erros such as
>
> Aug 15 13:08:45 eyl depmod: depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.2.1
> 4-5.0/misc/uircc.o
>
> I get this error for many different modules.  Does anyone know what
> could cause this?

Besides recompiling the kernel you also have to do a

make modules

and a

make modules_install

Chuck

From: "famlucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:52:31 +0200

search for cclinux on freshmeat

it's a mini-distribution that is working great
(see readme file for increasing the RAM-disk)

maurice