Linux-Misc Digest #493, Volume #25               Sat, 19 Aug 00 08:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Email configuration question ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: fwd: SuSE Linux 7.0 released (AI Nut)
  Dialup routing (Jeff Davis)
  Re: looking for linux compatible external modem ("Noble Pepper")
  Re: looking for linux compatible external modem (John Hasler)
  Re: Prompt path... ("Noble Pepper")
  Re: looking for linux compatible external modem (Hypnotist)
  Re: Prompt path... (Jeff Davis)
  Changing filenames (Hans van Walen)
  Linux as a recording studio... (Radix)
  Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Radix)
  New HOWTO (2:1)
  Re: looking for linux compatible external modem ("Brian")
  Re: looking for linux compatible external modem (M. Buchenrieder)
  What's better: MySQL or PostgreSQL ("Andy")
  Re: Changing filenames (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: New HOWTO (Akira Yamanita)
  Newbie : which Linux distribution? ("Luc Van Bogaert")
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (muzh)
  Re: What's better: MySQL or PostgreSQL (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: Best Linux Distribution ("Luc Van Bogaert")
  Re: A chance to get Linux in at work!  Need advice! (Jerry L Kreps)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Email configuration question
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 01:26:42 -0500

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Barry quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:27:26 GMT
~~ From: Barry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: Email configuration question
~~
~~ Hi all,
~~
~~ I am using sendmail on a Linux server that is an Internet mail server and
~~ have a question: I would like users on my machine to have email addresses
~~ that are different from their user names, for security purposes. For
~~ example, my user name is BF4839432 but I would like my email address to be
~~ something more readable like [EMAIL PROTECTED] . How do I redirect incoming
~~ email for "barry" to the mailbox of "BF4839432" if "barry" is not an actual
~~ user name on the machine?

/etc/aliases or /etc/mail/aliases are what you are looking for.
The exact location of the file should be found in the sendmail.cf
file, on a line that looks similar to this:

O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases

The format of the aliases file is:

alias: user1,user2

the alias part must be local, the addresses do not have to be.

so as per your example you could say:

barry: BF4839432

After adding aliases to this file you will have one of the following:

  - newaliases
  - sendmail -bi
  - makemap dbm /etc/mail/aliases < /etc/mail/aliases

The topic of aliases is actually quite a bit more complicated as you can
define an alias for a file, or program, or even a mailing list.  However
the above should get you started.

Regards,

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: AI Nut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: fwd: SuSE Linux 7.0 released
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 01:42:47 -0500

My sentiments exactly.  I think SuSE is getting too greedy.

AI Nut

------------------------------

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dialup routing
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:53:24 GMT

I would like to be able to set up my linux machine to route for my LAN
(win98/Linux workstations). I would like it to be more than a proxy, if
possible, like an ISDN router. It would be great if it would either dial
on demand (and keep alive for a certain amount of time), or keep alive
always. I don't know whether it is possible, but I would also like to be
able to use 2 modems and two phone lines to double bandwidth. I don't
expect the entire answer here, but a couple pointers/suggestions would
be very helpful (links to docs, etc).

Thanks,
Jeff Davis

------------------------------

From: "Noble Pepper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for linux compatible external modem
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:00:52 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist) wrote:
> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
>  loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if
> you  have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.
> thanks.

I using a Creative Labs Modem Blaster, but I believe ANY external will
work without problems.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:55:19 GMT

Hypnotist writes:
> i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is either linux (Red Hat 602)
> compatible or doesn't require drivers.

That describes any external modem (there is no such thing as Red Hat 602,
though).

> if you have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.

Don't buy a 3Com U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem.  It sort of works, but not
well.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Noble Pepper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Prompt path...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:37:27 -0600

I believe www.linuxdoc.org has a bash-prompt howto that will tell you how
to mangle your prompt into whatever you want.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist)
Date: 19 Aug 2000 07:54:00 GMT

that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
instaling the drivers, and the drivers are for win95, 98 and nt...had to
return it...i checked around and it seems most, if not all, modems these
days even external ones need some sort of drivers.

Noble Pepper ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist) wrote:
: > all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
: >  loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
: > either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if
: > you  have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.
: > thanks.
: >
: >
: >
:

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:00:13 GMT

I am not an expert either, but what shell are you using? Try just typing
/bin/bash at the shell, and (in my experience) it puts you into bash at the
next prompt. From what I understand, the different shells have different
formats for the prompt, and some include directories and some don't. This
may not be entirely accurate, so be warned.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Davis

From: Hans van Walen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Changing filenames
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:22:08 +0200

Hi,

When copying files from my W98 partition to my (newly installed) RH6.2,
all file- and directory names changed to uppercase.

I wonder if there is a utility or script to change them back to lower
case?

Thanks for any help.

Hans van Walen

------------------------------

From: Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Linux as a recording studio...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 07:38:11 -0230

Hi guys:

Is this possible?  Can linux work as a multi-track recording studio,
much like Saw+, Cakewalk, or Cubase for Windoze/Mac????  Are there any
such progz???

Thanks...
--
-Trevor
======================

------------------------------

From: Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 07:39:13 -0230

Hi there...

I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version of Red
Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????   The same person
told me that all the basic utility (the ones that are tailored by Red
Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any of this true???  Thanks...

Sincerely...
--
-Trevor
======================

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New HOWTO
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:16:27 GMT

Hi

I've neaarly finished a new HOWTO. Can anyone tell me the best place I
can send/submit (or whatever you do with these things)?

Thanks

-Ed

--
BBC Computer 32K
Acorn DFS

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:57:21 GMT

Hey:

Check out Zoltrix FMVSP56e3

Real cheap dual mode external "real" modem.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:35:46 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist) writes:

>that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
>buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
>instaling the drivers,

[...]

Nonsense. If it is a standard serial modem, it doesn't need any
drivers at all. These things come with a modem.inf file for
the various Win* flavours, but that's not a driver at all. It's
simply a text file containing appropriate AT commands.

Which model did you buy and what did you try to get it working?

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What's better: MySQL or PostgreSQL
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:59:01 +0200

What DMBS do you consider better? MySQL or PostgreSQL?
I don't know which of these two I should use for my database. Which is more
powerful or userfriendly?

Thank you for you opinion

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing filenames
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:44:08 GMT

Hans van Walen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When copying files from my W98 partition to my (newly installed) RH6.2,
> all file- and directory names changed to uppercase.
>
> I wonder if there is a utility or script to change them back to lower
> case?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Hans van Walen

As long as they're all in one spot and there aren't any other files
that you don't want to be all lowercase, you can do this (while in
that proper directory).

for i in *; do mv $i $(echo $i | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]); done

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New HOWTO
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:46:21 GMT

2:1 wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've neaarly finished a new HOWTO. Can anyone tell me the best place I
> can send/submit (or whatever you do with these things)?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Ed

http://www.linuxdoc.org/

One the left-hand side is a menu titled "Author / Contribute."

------------------------------

From: "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie : which Linux distribution?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:50:58 GMT

Hi,

I'm an experienced user of OS/2 and I'd like to get a taste of Linux,
with which I have no experience whatsoever, except for having seen it
run on other users computers :-)

I'm planning to install Linux on my old P166 which has 64 MB RAM and
all legacy hardware.

I'd prefer to buy a distribution with Linux on CD for conveniance and I
was wondering what would be the recommended distribution to get.

I've seen and heard of Mandrake 7.1, SUSE, Red Hat, Corel Linux etc. I
seem to have developed a slight preference for Mandrake, but what about
the others. I assume RedHat is still considered being the "standard"?
Corel Linux seems to have some interesting tools for installation and
file management, but what about stability?

Any recommendations are appreciated,

Thanks

Luc Van Bogaert

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:51:52 +1200

Radix wrote:

> Hi there...
>
> I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version of Red
> Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????   The same person
> told me that all the basic utility (the ones that are tailored by Red
> Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any of this true???  Thanks...

Actually, I think Mandrake is a scaled-UP version of Red Hat.  It is
made by some outfit in France, and has some enhancements.
However, I believe the basics are the same, so RPM's compiled for one
should work with the other --

Never trust a man in a suit --

cll

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's better: MySQL or PostgreSQL
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:54:01 -0500

Andy wrote:

> What DMBS do you consider better? MySQL or PostgreSQL?
> I don't know which of these two I should use for my database. Which is more
> powerful or userfriendly?
>
> Thank you for you opinion

Depends on what you want to use a DBMS for.
Need transaction tracking, inheritance, foreign keys, grant, alter
table, (ie... fairly close to ansi92 compliance) then PostgreSQL is your
choice.
Want a light, fast DMBS that's easy to use, then MySQL.

Andy, this isn't Microsoft World, where vendors run around waving EULA's
and keep one hand in your pocket.  Download them both and evaluate them
for yourself.  Total cost to do so = 0$
JLK

------------------------------

From: "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:59:09 GMT

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:05:37 -0700, MH wrote:

>> Ok, it is no easy question, but which distribution is the best in your eyes.
>> I search one that works well with GNOME.
>>
>> Thanks
>
>You're right. It's not an easy question. It's a <stupid> question. Don't
>you have anything better to do?

You're wrong : there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers and
you just gave one yourself.

So, any recommedations for a good (or let's call it the best) Linux
distribution?

Luc Van Bogaert

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A chance to get Linux in at work!  Need advice!
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:59:55 -0500

"David M. Cook" wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 17:03:36 GMT, Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I have experince setting up and using ppp on my box, before I switched to
> >adsl.  But, the need at work is to setup RH on a single box with a 56K
> >modem (NO NIC, i.e, no network connection) that will allow about 100
> >folks to dial in and download selected files.  Also, the box will be used
> >to dial out to another site (only one) to download files that will be
> >distributed into the user accounts.
>
> I suggest having users use the zmodem protocol to transfer files (on the
> unix side, part of the lrzsz package; I think hyperterm will handle it on
> the windows side).  You just need an entry in /etc/inittab for this. Setting
> up a PPP server is not worth the work, IMO.
>
> For connecting to the other box and downloading files, you could probably
> write a minicom script.
>
> Dave Cook

It's a *single* box Dave, with *NO* network connection, and it won't be
dual booting with Windows.  I'll look into the lrzsz package... thanks.

So, you don't recommend using mgetty for dialin?
JLK