  Re: Which driver to use ("WME")

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:13:11 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anybody know how to get rid of the redhat logo when using kdm, or
> xdm as a graphical login using Redhat 6.2 ?
>
> Ive looked everywhere through the /etc/X11/xdm files, and any others I
> have found that may be relavent but to no avail.

Install Helix-Gnome.

http://www.helixcode.com/desktop/download.php3

Or edit the last line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0  and change the png image
to what you want to use.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than 98.870% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:16:14 -0600

Wayne Watson wrote:

> Is it possible to create a rescue diskette for RH 6.2? It appears that I cannot get
>my machine to
> boot up from the RH 6.2 CD-ROM. The boot diskette supplied seems to want to install
>the software
> again when I try to use 'linux rescue' and in any case fails when I try to access
>the CD-ROM. It's
> an old device, AHA-1520 Adaptek. It seems like there ought to be a supplied diskette
>that does not
> try to re-install.

To make an Emergency Boot Disk insert a blank floppy and give the
commands:

 /sbin/mkfs.ext2  /dev/fd0
        # makes a 1.44MB floppy

 /sbin/mkbootdisk  --device  /dev/fd0  x.x.xx
        # x.x.xx is kernel version.

To make a Rescue boot disk you need a blank floppy and to give the
command:

 /sbin/mkfs.ext2  /dev/fd0
        # makes a 1.44 MB floppy

 cp  /boot/vmlinuz  /dev/fd0
        # copies the kernel (vmlinuz) to floppy

 /usr/sbin/rdev
        # Shows kernel root device such as  "/dev/hda5"

 /usr/sbin/rdev  /dev/fd0  /dev/hdaX
        # hdaX root device shown by command above.

 /usr/sbin/rdev  -R  /dev/fd0  1
        # This makes the root device read only

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 03:27:19 GMT

Wayne Watson wrote:

> Is it possible to create a rescue diskette for RH 6.2? It appears that I cannot get
>my machine to
> boot up from the RH 6.2 CD-ROM. The boot diskette supplied seems to want to install
>the software
> again when I try to use 'linux rescue' and in any case fails when I try to access
>the CD-ROM. It's
> an old device, AHA-1520 Adaptek. It seems like there ought to be a supplied diskette
>that does not
> try to re-install.

To make an Emergency Boot Disk insert a blank floppy and give the
commands:

 fdformat  /dev/fd0H1440

From: "news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:27:03 +0900

While working on a project ( which I thought to be quite small ) I have
received this message:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Everything compiled okay.  This happened as a result of a.out
I was wondering if someone could point out to me what I should be looking
for that might cause such a message.
Thanks in advance.

Joarder

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:13:07 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to fix bad sectors on HD?

When I had trouble with my laptop hard drive and the Suse installation
was checking the drive for me e2fsck notified me of what blocks were
bad. I'm not sure of what switches it used but i know it is possible.

But if you are getting those types of errors you might as well plan on
getting a new drive and take the data off the current drive ASAP.

HTH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:26:18 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenSSL Installation

Flej Ling wrote:

> When installing OpenSSL you have the option of creating shared libraries.
> The INSTALL file says that if your system knows what is needed to build
> shared libraries they are not currently created by default, but giving the
> option "shared" will get them created. The "shared" option is described as
> "In addition to the usual static libraries, create shared libraries on
> platforms where it's supported".
>
> QUESTIONS: What are shared libraries? Why might I want them (instead of
> static libraries)? Why does it create both when you specify "shared", (ie:
> rather than just shared libraries)?

shared libraries are just that, they are shared.  One copy is placed on
your hard drive to allow any program that needs them to use them. This
saves space b/c only one copy is needed for many programs.  The opposite
is static which means every program has the libs it needs built-in which
makes the program bigger than it needs to be. But being built-in to the
program makes the program run faster.

if you want extra speed make them static, if u want to save space then
use shared

it creates both b/c thats the way the program was designed. I can't read
minds but i'd guess that's why it makes both.  Each program is differnt.
This one makes both kinds of binaries.

------------------------------

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: using 'alias' to add unknown options to existing bash command?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:42:16 GMT

  Is it possible to use 'alias' to add unknown options to an existing bash
shell command?  For example on SCO Openserver (which I am very very used
to), you can use the 'du -f' command to list all files and subdirectories
under the current location and show the total at the end.
  So in Linux, I would want to make it so that entering 'du -f' would be the
same as 'du -abc' (because it would be a little shorter to type and I am so
used to using the prior form).  Is this possible?  I tried putting the line:
alias 'du -f'='du -abc' in the /etc/bashrc file, but it still runs the bash
'du' command first before my alias definition and says "Invalid option --
f".
  Or is there another way without using 'alias'?

Thanks,
  Scott Navarre

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MaryP)
Subject: Re: Middle Button paste suddenly gone !?!
Date: 8 Dec 2000 04:47:10 GMT

In article <woGX5.1630$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> For the longest time the middle button of my mouse would paste
> text into my current window, be it an Xterm, an editor, or
> whatever.  Today this stopped working.  Say what?

> Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for the cause of
> this change?

Maybe your x configuration file got corrupted. Look in /etc/X11/XF86Config
(or something like that - varies with distro). It's a large file with
different sections for your devices. If the mouse section looks weird
(missing characters, wrong mouse indicated, etc) you might want to re run
the install CDROM and just have it recreate the mouse configuration,
unless the fix is obvious once you inspect the file.

I would also check the connections, see if it's an obvious hardware thing.

Just a start.
MP

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:36:18 GMT

       You  can  also  start with both an executable program and a core file
specified:

       gdb program core

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:58:21 GMT

Might try          mkbootdisk $(uname -r)

------------------------------

From: "Justin Dubs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:52:26 -0500

The other way would be to rename du to somethign else like du.old and then
writing your own du that is simply a script that checks if one of the args
is -f and if so replaces it with -abc and then passes all the args to du.old

Justin Dubs

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Dec 2000 20:58:50 +0800
Subject: Re: Booting Windows on a second hard drive with lilo

>       I have linux on /dev/hda, and windows on /dev/hdd.  I can boot
> linux just fine with lilo, but when I try to boot windows, I get this:
>
> boot: windows
>
> and asks for another boot label until it gets linux.
> My lilo.conf file is fine for linux but here is the windows stanza:
>
> other=/dev/hdd1
> label=windows
> table=/dev/hdd
>
> This does not work.  Do I need a chain loader?  Which one?

In the liloconf manual pages, it states that if you wish to boot
Windows off the Slave drive (or any drive other than C:), you must
used a chain loader.

I have W98 on the C: drive, but DOS/Windows3.1 on the Slave.  I
couldn't boot DOS with lilo until I added a chain loader to the DOS
stanza.  I used the only other loader that came with my distro, the
one for OS/2.  Worked fine.

--
Patrick Bartek
NoLife Polymath Group

                      http://www.usenet.com

From: "Patrick Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Dec 2000 21:02:13 +0800

> On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:20:24 GMT, David Kaplan
> staggered into the Black Sun and said:
> >     I have linux on /dev/hda, and windows on /dev/hdd.  I can boot
> >linux just fine with lilo, but when I try to boot windows, I get this:
> >
> >boot: windows
> >
> >and asks for another boot label until it gets linux.
> >My lilo.conf file is fine for linux but here is the windows stanza:
> >
> >other=/dev/hdd1
> >label=windows
> >table=/dev/hdd
>
> Try this:
>
> other=/dev/hdd1
>    map-drive=0x80
>    to=0x83
>    map-drive=0x83
>    to=0x80
>    label=dos
>    table=/dev/hdd
>
> A lot of BIOSes can't seem to boot from hard drives on /dev/hdc or
> /dev/hdd, so if this doesn't work, swap the Doze drive to /dev/hdb and
> change the 0x83s to 0x81s.  MS OSes in general get really snotty about
> being the first partition on the first drive, and LILO's hackaround
> works in most cases.

On my system (W98 on C:, DOS & Linux on Primary Slave), I was unable
to boot W98 through lilo until I REMOVED the map-drive lines.  Go
figure.

--
Patrick Bartek
NoLife Polymath Group

                      http://www.usenet.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Help with unix path in CGI script
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 05:57:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 07:30:06 -0000, Bharat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi !
>I am a newbie with website designing and have no professional
>knowledge......All trial and error.
>I have just got myself a site at netfirms.com and have hosted my pages and
>want to use the cgi script everythingform.cgi but am having problems
>configuring the script with the path that is required.
>
>Netfirms Script URL:
>http://domain.netfirms.com/cgi/printenv
>
>My site url is:
>http://bharatlakshman.netfirms.com
>
>Cgi bin :
>http://bharatlakshman.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/
>
>Now this is what I have to configure:
>
>$configdir
>= "/usr/home/leif/public_html/conservatives/atheist/scripts/test/";
>(this is from the cgi script - a sample)
>
>If someone could help me i would be grateful so then i will be able to use
>my site more effectively

The $ENV{DOCUMENT_ROOT} starting path they suggest does not really work
properly to access html or other files in your 'www' directory.  And you
do not have a public_html dir.

You will notice from ftp that you have a '/www' dir where web pages,
images and other web accessible files can go and a '/cgi-bin' for CGI
scripts.  Since the full system path from the web is rather cryptic, it is
easier to use realtive paths.  So assuming that you put the conservative
and its subdirectories in /www, the path to there from CGI would be:

$configdir =
"../www/conservatives/atheist/scripts/test/";

Your cgi-bin directory at Netfirms should have 701 permission.  Note that
you HAVE to give any CGI scripts there 700 permission (permission on my
CGI changes any time I reupload a script, so make sure you check that).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel for 4Mb RAM 386
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:24:24 +0100

On 386SX-33, 4 MB RAM, 8MB Flash disk, see http://www.mite.cz

------------------------------

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which driver to use
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 06:00:41 GMT

Here are my findings.

First of all, the card is a D-Link 530 TX. I installed it myself. And it's
working, otherwise I wouldn't be connected to the internet. The card is a
100M. I downloaded the driver for it from the net and compiled it. As for
the chipset, I will have to check that tomorrow.

I added
alias eth0 via-rhine     to /etc/modules.conf

Here are some of the messages I get:

/sbin/modprob via-rhine
/etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
modprobe: Can't locate module devpts
init_module device or resource busy
..
mount: none has wrong device number or fs type devpts not supported

In the file:   /lib/modules/2.2.16/modules.dep
there are lots of entries. I think they all refer to network cards, but the

/via-rhine.o:

has no parameters infront of it.

"Graham Vincent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <90keo6$dh7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Noname <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >but it fails when the system is rebooting. is the compiled file
> >supposed to have the extension o? (via-rhine.o) probably that's the
> >problem.
> The compiled file should have a .o extension on it.
> >
> >THanks.
> >Again the file u asked 4 is @ the bottom
> snip...
> >Dec  5 22:59:30 sedky kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
> >Dec  5 22:59:30 sedky kernel: via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Written by
> >Donald Becker
> >Dec  5 22:59:30 sedky kernel:
> >http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html
> >Dec  5 22:59:30 sedky kernel: NTFS version 990411
>
> If this was the right driver I would have expected a message reporting the
> card memory address, interrupt and its hardware address. As there is no
> response I think that either this is the wrong driver or that the system
> hasn't been told to use this module for eth0.
>
> In /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules, depending on your system, there
> should be a line that says "alias eth0 via-rhine" or whatever the module
you
> intend to use is. If this is OK I suggest you try some different modules.
If