Linux-Misc Digest #497, Volume #25               Sat, 19 Aug 00 16:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died) ("Michael Liebmann")
  Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died) ("Brash")
  Re: apache directory listings ("Rob - Rock13.com")
  Re: Where is kernel 2.0.39 ? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Where can I find a 2.2.17pre kernel source? (Paul Kimoto)
  Notice: ("David ..")
  Re: Newbie question: Dont want to use ./ (David Efflandt)
  Re: newsgroup reader??? (Garry Knight)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Garry Knight)
  Re: New HOWTO (Garry Knight)
  Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died) (Renegade Gimp)
  killproc ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Installing 2nd hard disk ("Hiawatha Bray")
  Re: Win4Lin: anyone use it with Micro$oft Outlook on Exchange? (rabid_yeti)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best Linux Distribution ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Website of the Greatest Linux Logo ("Nesman")
  Re: job for you ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  wanting to write a script and need help starting... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Hiawatha Bray")
  wanting to write a USB script and need help starting... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Michael Liebmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Subject: Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:18:30 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8nmeun$4io$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Microsoft Pie - To the tune of "American Pie" by Don McClean
> Rev. History
> V1.0 - 05/2000 - Written by "Cujo The Wonder Puppy"
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

<SNIP>

I'm taking this one to the filk tonight and singing it.  It's wicked!

Michael

------------------------------

From: "Brash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:55:40 -0400

This is great!

Brash
--
0h y0rdshch!

From: "Rob - Rock13.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.html
Subject: Re: apache directory listings
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:14:05 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There must be something wrong with the default Redhat 6.2 Apache
> intallation. The /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file seems fine, but for
> some reason I can not get directory lisings.
>
> Apache is supposed to give a directory listing when there's no
> index.html in the directory.

I don't think this is standard out of the box for Apache. You need to
enable index listing. Options +Indexes

Just putting this in specific .htaccess files is probably best, that
way you only have autoindexing where you want it.

--

Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Where is kernel 2.0.39 ?
Date: 19 Aug 2000 14:27:27 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hugh Sparks wrote:
> I recently wanted to tinker with one of the one-floppy
> linux distributions and I needed a fresh kernel source
> for version 2.0.39. I found that 2.0.38 was the last
> version archived by kernel.org and a quick web & ftp
> search turned up nothing. Is 2.0.39 mythical?

It seems to be not ready yet.  See
ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tao/2.0.39pre.

--
Paul Kimoto
Disclaimer: Other than explicit citations of URLs, hyperlinks appearing

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Where can I find a 2.2.17pre kernel source?
Date: 19 Aug 2000 14:29:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> Kernel.org doesn't have it listed, yet I know it exists.

ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.2.17pre

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Notice:
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:21:55 -0500

Installing the new netscape 4.75 places a link on the desktop for AOL.
ads.web.aol.com

Is mozilla going to be tied to AOL also??

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Dont want to use ./
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:37:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:27:31 +0200, FREDRIK LINDSTRÖM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Porting a Tcp/Ip router from OS/2 to Linux RedHat 6.2 that I have written in
>C. After compiling and the linking I can only run the application if I use
>./ before the pgm-name. Is there some way to change this so that I only need
>to write "PGM-NAME" instead of "./PGM-NAME"?
>
>Regards
>/Fredrik

Yes, safest is to put the program in one of the directories in your PATH.
Or you could put . in your PATH, but how to do that depends upon your
shell.

For example in ~/.bashrc you could put:

export PATH="$PATH:."

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newsgroup reader???
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:18:35 +0100

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Don Grbac wrote:

>Gee, I kind of like Netscape Messenger!

I couldn't find any way to get this to work as an offline newsreader.
According to the Help file:

1.Select the newsgroup and then open
   the Newsgroup Properties panel.
   Click the Download Settings tab.

But there is no Download Settings tab.

 2.Check the box to select this
   newsgroup for downloading when
   you switch to offline mode.

I can't check the box, because there is no box, because there is no Download
Settings tab.

I think they ported the Help file across to the Linux version, but didn't port
the functionality.

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:17:56 +0100

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Jerry L Kreps wrote:

>I would call it a scaled up version of RH, since it does RH the way it
>should be done and then adds a lot of polish.

Surely you mean french... :o)

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New HOWTO
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:14:56 +0100

http://www.linuxdoc.org
http://www.linux-howto.com

--
Garry Knight

From: Renegade Gimp <Postmaster@[127.0.0.1]>
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:59:55 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<huuuuge snip>

<vbg>

You sir, have far too much time on you hands.

Glenn Hurrell - GPZ500s
UKRMMA#12, UKRMRM#3
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sir, I have found you an argument. I am not obliged to find you
an understanding.

                                               - Samuel Johnson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: killproc
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:47:21 GMT

Hi,

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd contains the following two lines:
killproc httpd
killproc httpd -HUP

I noticed this "killproc" because I used my own little scripts for doing
things like this. Strangely, however, "killproc" was not found in my
Redhat6.2 distribution.

Weird, huh?

Wroot

From: "Hiawatha Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: 19 Aug 2000 19:01:00 GMT

The drive on my Linux box is full.  I have an old HD I can put in, but I
don't know how to configure Linux to recognize it and partition it
correctly.  How is this done?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Win4Lin: anyone use it with Micro$oft Outlook on Exchange?
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
From: rabid_yeti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:16:13 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Finkelstein) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> rabid_yeti  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I use it, I like it, the only problems I have had are with games needi=
ng
> >Directx and as I stated in an earlier  post.
>=20
> Howdy. So you use Outlook on a network with an exchange server and you =
can use
> the contacts, calendar and address book? I just want to be sure.
> Thanks,
> Adam

I use it standalone, sorry if that isnt what you wanted.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:14:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there...
> >
> > I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version
> > of Red Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????
> > The same person told me that all the basic utility (the ones that
> > are tailored by Red Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any
> > of this true???  Thanks...
> >
> > Sincerely...
>
>    Mandrake was originally based on RedHat, but no longer is.
> Major differences is RH is i386, Mandrake is optimized for i586
> (eg, Pentium class or better).  What this basically means is if
> Mandrake runs on your hardware, it's great. If you have a 486 or
> marginal hardware, better stick with RH ;>

I understand that optimizing just means (re)compiling with an optimizing
compiler. Optimization is just an option for gcc ("-O3", for example),
so it's no big deal.

Let me attest that, even though Mandrake has a very nice graphical
installer, the distribution itself kind of sucks, considering that they
could simply recompile Redhat for 486, 586 and 686 and beat them.  For
example, in konsole (KDE) I tried to change fonts to "Linux" and was
told that they weren't found. Frustrating. Netscape icon is nowhere on
the Start Menu (Internet?) or the panel (only on the desktop)  I've
heard they even forgot to include telnetd in their 7.1 distribution. I
could probably go on if I hadn't chosen Redhat.

I've run both Redhat6.1-2 and Mandrake 7.0-1 and I didn't notice any
performance differences, so I decided for myself that Mandrake ain't
really worth it.

Wroot
P.S. This is only my subjective opinion, of course.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: 19 Aug 2000 19:28:05 GMT

Luc Van Bogaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 19 Aug 2000 15:05:28 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:>You're wrong. That is a stupid question, So which do you think is the
:>best motorcar?
: I really can't see a reason for calling that a stupid question. Maybe
: it's a meaningless question, but stupid ? No.

If you don't think a meaningless question is stupid, then you're dumber
than you look. Or perhaps you don't understand what I mean ...

later

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: 19 Aug 2000 19:25:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: The drive on my Linux box is full.  I have an old HD I can put in, but I
: don't know how to configure Linux to recognize it and partition it
: correctly.  How is this done?  Thanks.

Put drive in box. Boot system. Type fdisk /dev/hdb (or whatever) to
partition it. Run mke2fs  on the partitions after one reboot.
You have to reboot unless someone has worked out a way to get the
kernel to rescan the table ...

From: "Nesman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Website of the Greatest Linux Logo
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:38:26 GMT

hi,
where is the website for the Linux logo collections in hi-res? like the
Gnome foot, the Penguin, etc.
thanks,
nesman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: job for you
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:26:10 GMT

$20 ain't much

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: wanting to write a script and need help starting...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:32:06 GMT

I have a set of Altec Lansing ACS495 speaker.  I am very pleased with them.
However, they arent very linux-friendly.  With win9x one can control the
spreaker's setting (i.e. stereo or surrond sound) with a little app that
comes with the speakers via the USB port.  Altec Lansing doesn't make a linux
app that controls these speakers (surprise!).

I am looking to get rid of my Win98 partition and make my machine strictly a
linux box.  The fact that I can't currently control my speakers  with linux
is one factor holding me back from de-borging my machine.

so...i want to write a app/script/whatever to control my spreaker settings
via my USB port.  I am new at programming with linux.  The extent of my
programming experience is small FORTRAN, MATLAB, and VB Excel scripts  for my
engineering work.  I am willing to take the plunge into linux programming,
though.

so here is the real question:  How do i get started writing a linux app to
control my speakers via my USB port?

-or-

if someone out there has all ready tackled this situation, an already-written
app would be nice.

thanx

-jason

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Aug 2000 19:39:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: the Start Menu (Internet?) or the panel (only on the desktop)  I've
: heard they even forgot to include telnetd in their 7.1 distribution. I
: could probably go on if I hadn't chosen Redhat.

You'd better not, since anyone capable who has tried redhat can tell
you of amazing blunders and absolute showstoppers in their
distros. I've been following them (with disinterest) for years
and at last try (6.1) their installer still couldn't count the number of
bytes it would try and put on a partition, leading to obvious
foulups. To say nothing of their apparant belief that gui=menu,
complete with impossible to retreat-from circuits in the most
basic parts of the installer! How do you unselect something, for
example, and have its dependencies unselected too? You can't ...

: I've run both Redhat6.1-2 and Mandrake 7.0-1 and I didn't notice any
: performance differences, so I decided for myself that Mandrake ain't
: really worth it.

It isn't, of course. Not for that, anyway. It's just a marketing gimmick.

I'm told that it does have an attractive desktop setup for new users.
So much so that newbies seem to get the idea that redhat's is a
server-oriented market pitch!!!!!!!  (my exclams).  Talk about turning
the world topsy-turvy. I'd personally recommend anything except redhat
(and please, anything but rpms - what is the point in a _binary_
database?), but that's my bias. I tend to recommend suse for new users
as I know suse and I can testify that the yast1 installer is awesome
and a breeze. SuSE at least have their config files in the right
places, but some of their compilations are even more crazy than RHs
(apache, for example). They have the kitchen sink and a half on their
CDs.

: Wroot
: P.S. This is only my subjective opinion, of course.

What makes you think it's only that, and not a fact :-).

From: "Hiawatha Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 19 Aug 2000 19:45:46 GMT

Ohhhh...is that all?  Sounds simple enough.

do I just set up the exact same partitions as on the present disk?  I assume
the OS will then just treat each partition as one big one, regardless of
which disk it's on, right?

Thanks!

news:8nmmvf$nus$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...