Linux-Misc Digest #497, Volume #26                Fri, 8 Dec 00 22:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 shutdown error? (Douglas H. Steves)
  Suse 7, vbox and teles 16.3c pnp ("MC Hammer")
  Re: RedHat-6.2 and Intel810 video card?? (Robert Lynch)
  Newbie - "Unable to initialize modem" ("Beldar")
  kernel: svc: unknown version(3) when loading nfs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  hdh: <3>ide-scsi unsupported command dev 22:40 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  LILO floppy question ("Emmanuel Beranger")
  Re: How to change a user password with one command or script? (Thomas Witkowski)
  /dev/loop7 forced check ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do you get multicast through firewall? (Manfred Bartz)
  Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom (Tom Voltaggio)
  Re: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom (Robert Kiesling)
  Re: Deleting zero-sized directory? (Sinner from the Prairy)
  Problem Installing Realplayer (A. B.)
  Re: using 'alias' to add unknown options to existing bash command? ("Scott M.
Navarre")
  How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("misterbooboo")
  Re: How do you get multicast through firewall? ("Send me no Email")
  'find' errors after setting up software RAID ("Scott M. Navarre")
  Re: How do you get multicast through firewall? ("Send me no Email")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("Paul Filipowicz")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("John Cusick")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for  (E J)
  Re: kernel: svc: unknown version(3) when loading nfs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("James Wilson")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("misterbooboo")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("misterbooboo")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("misterbooboo")
  Re: LILO floppy question (E J)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas H. Steves)
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 shutdown error?
Date: 8 Dec 2000 16:49:33 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rafael  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have installed on one server Linux Mandrake 7.2 and on the other RH
>7.0. When I choose security level high, I can not shutdown system
>properly. It tell me now more prcess and I have to turn off computer and
>then starting take 15 minutes becouse system was not cleanly unmounted.
>Where is the solution of  this problem

I had the same problem with mandrake7.2, and was only able
to "solve" it by reinstalling. The reinstallation was from the
Cheap Bytes ISO images, while the original, faulty installation
was from the MacMillan package. Since you're from Sweden, you
probably don't have this package, so I'm not sure what to
recommend. I have the security level set to medium. One other
point is that for the second installation, I installed only
from the two basic discs, and then used kpackage to install
the other packages on the contribs and apps CDs.

Doug

------------------------------

From: "MC Hammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Suse 7, vbox and teles 16.3c pnp
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:56:39 +0100

OK,

I got everything working with i4l ipppd but since I have dsl I want to use
my linux box as an telephone answering machine.
So I tried to set up vbox... Hmm I got it already running with an old suse
distribution
1 year ago and an AVM Fritz PCMCIA card- but now I cannot get vbox running
with SuSE 7.0...

The problem is, that the HiSax driver for my Teles 16.3PnP ISA got some
problems with vbox on Suse7.0.

I tried audio compression ADCPM-4 -> no audio on the telephone line. So I
tried ULAW since ALAW is not any more support (says the documentation).

With ULAW compression the audio is played but tooooo fast.... Is this a
problem with the teles driver and the suse kernel ??? What's wrong

Has anyone experience with teles 16.3cPnp, vbox and Suse7.0 ???

cu MC

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat-6.2 and Intel810 video card??
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:03:46 -0800

Ish Rattan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just installed RedHat-6.2 on a Gateway-ES1400 Celeron Based box.
> It has an Intel 810/4Mb RAM/AGP video card on mother board. The card
> is not recognized/visible in the output of "demsg | more"? Any ideas
> how make the system detect the card? Does the kernel (2.2.14-5 now)
> have to be upgraded for this to happen?
>
> Please help.
>
> - ishwar
Hi-

I am running the i810 chipset.  If yours is set up like mine you
need:

1) to have/compile the kernel module agpart.o;

2) Set up XF86Config as:
===
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel 810"
    VendorName  "Intel"
    BoardName   "810"
# 5-11-00 try adding power saving option
    Option  "power_saver"
    VideoRam    4096
EndSection
===
3) The 3.3.x server is XF86_SVGA

If this is insufficient, feel free to contact me by e-mail for
more information.

Regards, Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Beldar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie - "Unable to initialize modem"
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:12:13 -0500

Trying to effect a dialup connection under RH7.0, I'm getting the error
"Unable to initialize modem".  I'm clueless.  I've got a Lucent WinModem on
COM3, so I'm using /dev/tty/s02.  It ain't workin'.  Can anybody help?
Thanx.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kernel: svc: unknown version(3) when loading nfs
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:17:06 GMT

I am getting a message when the nfs service loads:
  kernel: svc: unknown version (3)

When I do a ps ax I can also see this for rpc.mountd:
  rpc.mountd --no-nfs-version 3

Any ideas what this means and possibly how to clean this up?

best regards,
charles wilkins

p.s micro who?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
Subject: hdh: <3>ide-scsi unsupported command dev 22:40
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:29:11 GMT

I have recently set up an atapi ide zip drive. I have compiled in scsi
emulation and the drive works properly as /dev/sda1.

Prior to using the scsi emulation, I was using the floppy-ide driver
and was able to use the drive as /dev/hdh1, just with some less
functionality.

Since I have gone to scsi emulation, I have this message appearing
after the partition check is done:

Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation
for IDE ATAPI devices
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100
Rev: 13.A
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at
scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512
bytes. Sectors= 196576 [95 MB] [0.1 GB]
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: Partition check:
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:  sda: sda1
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:  hda: hda1 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:  hdc: [PTBL] [1021/255/63] hdc1 < hdc5
hdc6 hdc7 >
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:  hdh:<3>ide-scsi: hdh: unsupported
command in request queue (0)
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 22:40
(hdh), sector 0
Dec  8 18:22:25 linux02 kernel:  unable to read partition table

What program is the "partition check?"

What or where is the request queue? I notice that when I boot from
floppy that this message does not occur.

Thanks in advance!
charles wilkins

p.s.

linux rocks!

------------------------------

From: "Emmanuel Beranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO floppy question
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:41:10 +0100

I have read the LILO man pages dozens of times, but I somhow can't get to do
the following trick :
I want to boot from a floppy with LILO, offering me to boot hdb1. (I just
want to keep self HD boot with hda1)
I have made such a floppy with "mkbootdisk", BUT :
I would like to load the kernel image that is on the disk, and not on the
floppy (which happens now, which is veeery slooow). I know this is possible,
because I once had such a floppy, which just LILOed, and loaded the HD
image.

I think I have tried anything, including mentionning root=hdb1, and also
making "lilo -r /mnt/floppy", but nothing seems to work yet.

Any ideas ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Witkowski)
Subject: Re: How to change a user password with one command or script?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:46:32 GMT

On 8 Dec 2000 20:36:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timo Benk) wrote:

>You can use the RedHat passwd binary.
>
>echo PASSWORD | /usr/bin/passwd root --stdin

But I'm using SuSE, and I have to write the password for a second time
into passwd! How can I modify the echo command to do this?

Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: /dev/loop7 forced check
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:07:14 GMT

Having a problem with a forced check of /dev/loop7.  any idea why that
would be?  I'm trying to use Armed Linux.  any help would be
appreciated.

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: How do you get multicast through firewall?
From: Manfred Bartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:26:09 GMT

"Send me no Email" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How do I handle IGMP from within my private network?

Last time I checked (maybe a year ago), there was no multicast routing
available for Linux in a masqueraded environment.  But you could run
multicast apps on your firewal/gateway/masq-host.  See multicast HOWTO.

> Can anyone advise on IPCHAINS or IP ROUTE commands required?

This rule will accept all multicast packets, put it at the start of
your rules.

ipchains -A input $IFINET -s 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT

--
Manfred

------------------------------

From: Tom Voltaggio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:51:01 GMT

I have a Toshiba Portege with a Port NW24XCD PCMCIA cdrom.
I want to install Redhat 6.1.  I boot DOS and run rawrite
and copy the pcmcia.img to my boot disk.  When I boot and
try to install, the pcmcia driver is loaded fine.  However
when I get to screen where I must choose where the redhat
files are located for installation, it doesn't show the
cdrom drive; only the hard drives.  Apparently, Linux can't
find the cd rom drive during the install.  How can I tell
Linux the irq and other configuration items of the cd rom
before Linux is actually installed?  The image file
apparently doesn't do it.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 01:01:36 GMT

Tom Voltaggio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a Toshiba Portege with a Port NW24XCD PCMCIA cdrom.
> I want to install Redhat 6.1.  I boot DOS and run rawrite
> and copy the pcmcia.img to my boot disk.  When I boot and
> try to install, the pcmcia driver is loaded fine.  However
> when I get to screen where I must choose where the redhat
> files are located for installation, it doesn't show the
> cdrom drive; only the hard drives.  Apparently, Linux can't
> find the cd rom drive during the install.  How can I tell
> Linux the irq and other configuration items of the cd rom
> before Linux is actually installed?  The image file
> apparently doesn't do it.

Make sure that the install program knows where to find
the PCMCIA driver modules, if they're external to the
kernal.  If that's not the problem, then you're out of
luck.  Practically speaking, detecting PCMCIA devices
is too involved for a floppy disk installer.

--
Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web Page :  http://www.mainmatter.com/kiesling

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Deleting zero-sized directory?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:22:45 +0000

Robert Wiegand wrote:

> Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> > > already tried e2fsck ?

> > Should I go to this extreme? I mean, why should I do this?

> The e2fsck program just checks the partition, not formats it.

OK. Thanks, I somewaht thought that it was going to delete the partition
or format it or any other bad stuff.

I did it, I got a "no problems found" report, started again and it was
working. Wierd.

But thanks. It worked.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: A. B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem Installing Realplayer
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 01:30:08 -0000

Dear: Sir or Madam,

I am runing Lunix Mandrake 7.0, I downloaded Realplayer 7.0-7,
I tried to install it and i got this error massage. ( file/usr/share/
minelnk/audio/x-wav.kdelnk from install of Realplayer-7.0-7 conflicks
with file from package kmpg-0.5.0a-5ndk) and also this massage ( file
usr/share/minelnk/audio/x-wav.kdelnk from install of Realplayer 7.0-7
conflicks with file from package kdebase-1.1.2-30mdk) I am using
Kpackage to install. I also tried to use GnoRPM to install Realplayer
but the error massage states. That if i contenue the system may be
-come unstable. If any can tell me how to fix. this conflick so that
i can install Realplayer. It would be greatly apprecated.

Thank you, For your help in this matter.

A. B.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: using 'alias' to add unknown options to existing bash command?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 01:40:00 GMT

I just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions... they help a lot.

------------------------------

From: "misterbooboo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows
again?
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:44:49 -0600

I have a 6GB HD split half for RH7 and half for Win95.

I want to rid myself of Linux and rededicate the entire HD to Win95.

How do I do this?

Win's fdisk will not get me there as far as I can tell.

Specifics appreciated.

Thank you,

--
Jon - I love Jesus Christ
http://www.jonsplace.org/

------------------------------

From: "Send me no Email" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:03:12 -0500

"Alex Witt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> You might try: http://www.linux.com/howto/Multicast-HOWTO.html

Thanks!

That was among the first places I looked. Not much help for Linux firewall,
though.

------------------------------

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: 'find' errors after setting up software RAID
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:10:12 GMT

Hello,

  I have set up software RAID1+0 and I am now getting these two messages
immediately after invoking the 'find' command:

find: /proc/6/fd: Permission denied
find: /proc/116/fd: Permission denied

and then 'find' continues on as normal.

  After doing a 'ps -ef |grep 6', I determined the following:

1) process '6' is 'mdrecoveryd'
2) process '116' is 'raid1d'

  So my question is:  Is it normal to get these messages for 'find' after
setting up soft RAID?  If not, then what can I do to fix it (it is a little
annoying to have these pop up everytime I look for a file).

Thanks in advance,
  Scott Navarre

------------------------------

From: "Send me no Email" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:12:20 -0500

What if I masquerade multicast packets in-bound from the Internet? Or would
it be better to just pass them through raw?

It might not be the best way, but would it work? (That is, would it allow
workstations on my private network to send IGMP to the ISP's routers, and
allow all multicast traffic from the ISP to reach the workstations so they
can pick out the ones they want?) How would I set this up?

Many Thanks to All!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Paul Filipowicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:17:47 -0500

The MS-DOS fdisk will not see the Linux partitions. You need to re-run the
Linux install program, and get to the partition part. Remove all Linux
partitions and exit the installer. Then run MS fdisk and continue from
there.

~~~

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "John Cusick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
again?
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:19:09 GMT

Try linux's fdisk.  Back up your win stuff first. fdisk
can be nasty if you screw it up. read man fdisk on the
unix partition for instructions.

You could always buy diskcommander or one of those
type programs too.

Good luck

John C.

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:21:14 GMT

Goodbye linux!
Use windows fdisk /mbr to get rid of lilo
Use windows fdisk to remove all linux partition and use windows fdisk to
create the new windows partition.
Use windows format  to  format the new windows partition.  If you
originally have a C disk, the new partition will appear as D disk.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: kernel: svc: unknown version(3) when loading nfs
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:25:08 GMT

This fix wasn't too hard to find.

There is a routine in the nfs script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs that
checks for version 3 of nfs. Because I am running a version 2, for the
moment I have commented out the routine from running. mountd no
executes without an argument.

------------------------------

From: "James Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:23:40 -0800

Gotta use the Linux version of fdisk on the install floppy (at the Boot:
prompt, type linux expert) select install, not upgrade. When it comes to
partitioning the drive select FDISK, in FDISK type [p] to print out
partition tables, and remove the Linux partition with the [d] command.Quit
with a [w] command to save to disk or [q] to change your mind. Wouldn't be a
bad idea to run fdisk /mbr at the DOS prompt to clean your master boot
record. You will have to repartition and format the new partition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:20:10 GMT

This is how I would do it, and there may be an easier way.. use Linux
Fdisk and delete the Linux partitions, then you can repartition with
95. or you can try partition magic.. which never works for me so I
couldn't help you there.

From: "misterbooboo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:49:01 -0600

Hi,

    I did this. The install program (run from CD) said it had saved changes
to disk. I then 3-fingered it to reboot but the extended non-DOS partition
is still there per MS fdisk so I'm stuck :-(

Seeking further suggestions,

--
Jon - I love Jesus Christ
http://www.jonsplace.org/
news:90s4pp$i17g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "misterbooboo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:50:58 -0600

I want to lose everything and start over with windows, but cannot spend any
more money on Linux anything.

I just want the whole hard drive back.

Since fdisking mbr, my linux installation is shot. Seeking suggestions on
just getting rid of it so I can DOS fdisk the whole hard drive.

Thx,

--
Jon - I love Jesus Christ
http://www.jonsplace.org/
news:xEgY5.85553$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "misterbooboo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:53:29 -0600

How do I use linux fdisk?

I tried using the RH7 install program and when partitioning, wiping out all
partitions, then rebooting after "saving changes to disk."

However, the program did NOT save all changes to disk since MS fdisk still
sees a partition that it cannot erase.

Suggestions?

If I must, I'll reinstall RH7 and then do it but I need very specific
instructions, please.

Thank you,

--
Jon - I love Jesus Christ
http://www.jonsplace.org/

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO floppy question
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:50:33 GMT

Here is my lazy way of doing it using Redhat 7.0
I copied the linux boot floppy created during installation of linux.
If you did not create a linux boot floppy, just reinstall Redhat 7.0 and do an
upgrade of something small like a game.
It will update lilo and create a linux boot floppy.
I use diskcopy in pure dos (it does not work under windows) to create a
duplicate linux boot floppy
c:> diskcopy a: a:
Using the linux boot floppy.
Modify the lilo on the linux disk floppy.
# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
# vi /mnt/floppy/etc/lilo.conf # use your editor to modify lilo.conf on your
floppy
# /sbin/lilo -C /mnt/floppy/etc/lilo.conf