Linux-Misc Digest #497, Volume #27                Sun, 1 Apr 01 03:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Why oh why can't I boot from my hard disk! (root)
  Re: Downloaded RH7 image won't work...help (root)
  CD-RW problem (David)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (John Hasler)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Changing Video Cards In Linux ("Steve Cox")
  *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets *** (Cal Page)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (Michael Perry)
  Re: Why oh why can't I boot from my hard disk! (Michael Perry)
  missing initab file.......enter runlevel? (Dranthony)
  Re: missing initab file.......enter runlevel? (David)
  Re: Why oh why can't I boot from my hard disk! (E J)
  Linux, micro kernel or monolithic kernel ? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: X optimisation (William Burrow)
  Re: Linux, micro kernel or monolithic kernel ? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Changing Video Cards In Linux (Hartmann Schaffer)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (Steve Lamb)
  Re: Linux, micro kernel or monolithic kernel ? (Hartmann Schaffer)
  Re: Why oh why can't I boot from my hard disk! (Hartmann Schaffer)
  Re: Linux, micro kernel or monolithic kernel ? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: poll: which OS (Jay Martin)
  need help booting linux (Gary and Susan Krupa)
  Re: missing initab file.......enter runlevel? ("Eric en Jolanda")
  Re: *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets *** ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Display not showing entire diesktop under some resolutions ("BKG")

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why oh why can't I boot from my hard disk!
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:25:36 -0500

Hi,

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
I just installed RedHat 7.0 and I always have to boot from floppy.
When I boot from the hard disk, the LILO prompt goes as far as the first
L.
I tryed re-installing lilo with /sbin/lilo but I still have the same
problem.
Would a roundhouse kick to the side of the machine help?

Thanx

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Downloaded RH7 image won't work...help
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:32:56 -0500

Hiawatha Bray wrote:

> I burned the ISO images onto CDs using Easy CD Creator.  The separate files
> all appear to be there.  But when I run the install program from a floppy
> boot disk, and tell it to install from CD, everything just stops cold.  What
> could I be doing wrong?  Thanks.

Maybe you didn't download in binary mode.
Set you FTP software to binary and check it out.
Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: CD-RW problem
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:40:33 GMT

The problem is in making audio CD's.
I am able to make audio-CD's and play them on any computer CD player but
if I try it on a portable CD player it won't work. The first audio-CD I
made worked without any problems but I haven't been able to create one
that works on both systems since.

I have tried:

xcdroast
gcombust
cdrecord by itself
mkisofs and burn iso

And none have worked since the first audio CD I made. All data CD's work
without any problems, the only problem is with audio CD's.

Yamaha SCSI  8824S  CD-RW

Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.140% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tips: Debian is very good (=
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:23:44 GMT

Steve C. Lamb Writes:
> I've never heard of Lilo seriously screwing up.

Packaging bug.  A Lilo package that overwrote /etc/lilo.conf was in
unstable for a short while.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:56:52 GMT

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Steve C. Lamb Writes:
> > I've never heard of Lilo seriously screwing up.
>
> Packaging bug.  A Lilo package that overwrote /etc/lilo.conf was in
> unstable for a short while.

That one was pretty irritating.

The more irritating problem was that there was some sort of
incompatibility between 21.4 and (methinks) 21.7 or 21.9; for some
reason, it would refuse to update the boot sector, thus necessitating
use of rescue disk at the next reboot.

I hadn't noticed it as an issue for probably a month, since I hadn't
rebooted in a month...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing Video Cards In Linux
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:06:38 +0100

In article <9a5uiv$v4u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jeremy Paiz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Patrick F. Clarin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9a5t8t$2f6r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> How do you change to init 3?
>>

> in the file /etc/inittab change
>
>     id:5:initdefault:

>     id:3:initdefault:

Or - if you just want to do it temporarily.

Under the LILO prompt, type

linux 3

(or whatever the kernel image name you use)

There's a simlar feature for GRUB

------------------------------

From: Cal Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets ***
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:33:15 -0500

I get the above error trying to 'make htmldocs' for the
2.4.3 kernel. Does anyone know where I can find these stylesheets?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:35:06 -0000

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:23:44 GMT, John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Steve C. Lamb Writes:
>> I've never heard of Lilo seriously screwing up.
>
>Packaging bug.  A Lilo package that overwrote /etc/lilo.conf was in
>unstable for a short while.
>--
>John Hasler
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Dancing Horse Hill
>Elmwood, Wisconsin

Another reason to have "another lilo.conf" which is not "the lilo.conf"...

I always check lilo.conf whenever I get done with something in unstable
that appears to touch it directly or may make some design on it.  I would
like to try GRUB at some point too.  I used it for a lot of work on Caldera
OpenLinux 2.4 at work.  I liked it overall.  The idea of not running
something for a new kernel took a bit of getting used to though.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Why oh why can't I boot from my hard disk!
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:36:35 -0000

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:25:36 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
>I just installed RedHat 7.0 and I always have to boot from floppy.
>When I boot from the hard disk, the LILO prompt goes as far as the first
>L.
>I tryed re-installing lilo with /sbin/lilo but I still have the same
>problem.
>Would a roundhouse kick to the side of the machine help?
>
>Thanx

Can you tell us how your hard disk drive is partitioned and what other
operating systems you boot?

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dranthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: missing initab file.......enter runlevel?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:47:05 GMT

After playing around with a prog named explore2fs in winslow I can't
boot into linux.  My machine boots up initially normally then goes
through the boot sequence up to the partition check normally then it
looks like this:

VFS- mounted root(ext2fs) read only
init- version 2.78 booting
No initab file

 Enter runlevel:

I enter a run level but then it says it has nothing more to do at this
run level and hangs.  The 3 finger salute doesn't even do anything.

I have tried playing around with Linux rescue from Red Hat but I can't
do anything with it.  What do I need to do to fix this problem?  If I
have top reinstall it wouldn't be a prob since I haven't done too much
with this install to worry about it but I would like to learn more w/
Linux so any suggestions would help.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing initab file.......enter runlevel?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:51:36 GMT

Dranthony wrote:

> After playing around with a prog named explore2fs in winslow I can't
> boot into linux.  My machine boots up initially normally then goes
> through the boot sequence up to the partition check normally then it
> looks like this:
>
> VFS- mounted root(ext2fs) read only
> init- version 2.78 booting
> No initab file
>
>  Enter runlevel:
>
> I enter a run level but then it says it has nothing more to do at this
> run level and hangs.  The 3 finger salute doesn't even do anything.
>
> I have tried playing around with Linux rescue from Red Hat but I can't
> do anything with it.  What do I need to do to fix this problem?  If I
> have top reinstall it wouldn't be a prob since I haven't done too much
> with this install to worry about it but I would like to learn more w/
> Linux so any suggestions would help.

Have you tried entering at the lilo prompt:

 linux root=/dev/hdaX  # where X is the root partition.

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:42:02 GMT

Are you using a DISK OVERLAY program like EZ-BIOS because your BIOS only
understands 8GB or less?
If that is the case you might have to create a tiny 16MB /boot linux
partition at the beginning of your harddisk
and apply lilo to the /boot partition and change the /boot partition to
active.

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux, micro kernel or monolithic kernel ?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:53:55 GMT

I read that Linux started out as having a monolithic kernel architecture.
Does Linux still have a monolithic kernel architecture, or does it have
micro kernel architecture?
I read that micro kernel architecture is more sophisticated and advanced,
and kernels like WinNT and Mach have micro kernel architectures.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: X optimisation
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:10:06 -0000

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:27:36 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc,
Martin Mbogho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I know there is a way to use NICE to speed up X Windows or to make it
>seem MUCH more responsive does anyone know or remember the procedure I forgot
>and can't find any documentation listing it?

You mean renice(1) with a negative number?  Recall you must be root for
this to work, but only really works on a loaded system, huh.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Linux, micro kernel or monolithic kernel ?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:11:12 GMT

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 02:53:55 GMT, Arctic Storm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I read that Linux started out as having a monolithic kernel
>architecture.

It did.

>Does Linux still have a monolithic kernel architecture,

It does.

>or does it have micro kernel architecture?

It doesn't.

>I read that micro kernel architecture is more sophisticated and
>advanced, and kernels like WinNT and Mach have micro kernel
>architectures.

Micro-kernels have advantages and disadvantages.  Monolithic
kernels have advantages and disadvantages.  u-kernels are
considered "newer" and "cooler" by some.  I'd still take Linux
over NT any day of the week.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! STYROFOAM...
                                  at

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 31 Mar 2001 22:52:13 -0500

In article <9a5uiv$v4u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeremy Paiz wrote:
>"Patrick F. Clarin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9a5t8t$2f6r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> How do you change to init 3?
>>

>in the file /etc/inittab change
>
>    id:5:initdefault:

>    id:3:initdefault:

i guess that works too, but if you want to do it only occasionally, it's
easier to bring up the boot prompt (see lilo configuration) and type

  linux 3

(or whatever your imagename for linux is)

hs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:56:51 -0000

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:23:44 GMT, John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Packaging bug.  A Lilo package that overwrote /etc/lilo.conf was in
>unstable for a short while.

    Uhm, ow!?

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Date: 31 Mar 2001 22:56:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>or does it have micro kernel architecture?
>
>It doesn't.

there are some linuxversions available that use a microkernel:  apple did
one for the macintosh, and there is one for the L4 microkernel

hs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Date: 31 Mar 2001 23:06:54 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
>I just installed RedHat 7.0 and I always have to boot from floppy.
>When I boot from the hard disk, the LILO prompt goes as far as the first
>L.
>I tryed re-installing lilo with /sbin/lilo but I still have the same
>problem.
>Would a roundhouse kick to the side of the machine help?

what kind of machine do you have?  with older bioses the kernel must be
within the first 1024 cylinders for lilo being able to boot.  another
possibility would be a faulty lilo configuration.  what is the contents
of /etc/lilo.conf?

hs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 04:27:00 GMT

On 31 Mar 2001 22:56:52 -0500, Hartmann Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>>or does it have micro kernel architecture?
>>
>>It doesn't.
>
>there are some linuxversions available that use a microkernel:  apple did
>one for the macintosh, and there is one for the L4 microkernel

But the "Linux" part (scheduler, networking, filesystem, block
and char drivers, etc.) is still all one big, monolithic
"thing" -- right?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  NOT fucking!! Also
                                  at               not a PACKAGE of LOOSE-LEAF

------------------------------

From: Jay Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: poll: which OS
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:08:15 -0500

This is the wrong place to pose that question

------------------------------

From: Gary and Susan Krupa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need help booting linux
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 06:35:26 GMT

Can someone help me? Suddenly and mysteriously, my Linux partition
refused to boot. After more than a year of no problems with Linux, now I
can't use it at all.

Many lines of code appear whenever I try to boot from the hard disk
where my kernel's located. Eventually a message appears saying "kernel
panic" or "sector xxxx isn't free" after fsck runs. Nor can I boot from
my cd-rom installation disk, a boot disk or from the bootdisk / rootdisk
combination that I set up from the cd-rom (although, the cd-rom has a
different kernel version than what's on the Linux partition). Nothing so
far has worked!

I have a fairly recent backup but I'd rather not have to delete the
partition and restore it. I'd be very grateful for whatever you can do
to help me get into the partition.

Gary Krupa
Ventura, CA Linux user

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:34:45 +0200

> > VFS- mounted root(ext2fs) read only
> > init- version 2.78 booting
> > No initab file
> >
> >  Enter runlevel:

> Have you tried entering at the lilo prompt:
>
>  linux root=/dev/hdaX  # where X is the root partition.

If this gives the same error:

try "linux init=/bin/bash"

And see if/why inittab is missing.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets ***
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 06:44:48 GMT

<http://nwalsh.com/> is the canonical site...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 06:46:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb) writes:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:23:44 GMT, John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Packaging bug.  A Lilo package that overwrote /etc/lilo.conf was in
> >unstable for a short while.
>
>     Uhm, ow!?

.. Which is why it is remarkably useful to set, in /etc/fstab,
    /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults,ro 0 2
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/resume.html
Rules of the Evil Overlord #25.  "No matter how well it would perform,
I  will never  construct any  sort  of machinery  which is  completely
indestructible  except  for   one  small  and  virtually  inaccessible
vulnerable spot." <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

From: "BKG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Display not showing entire diesktop under some resolutions
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 01:03:50 -0600

It is in your XF86config (check spelling) file.  There is an option to have
a virtual screen.
I don't like it either.  Just change the virtual screen option.

news:ygUv6.6832$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...