Linux-Misc Digest #506, Volume #25               Sun, 20 Aug 00 16:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  undefined symbol: gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file (Thomas
=?iso-8859-1?Q?H=FCbner?=)
  Balancing MP3 volume. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Michel Catudal)
  MIME-type problem with Squid23 -STABLE4 ("Christian Roessner")
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: gcc problems (Chris J/#6)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: Best Linux Distribution (Dennis)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk (Stewart Honsberger)
  remove the start up programs (Rewur)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Does cdrecord really work with IDE CD-R?? (Douglas E. Mitton)
  Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script. (blowfish)
  Re: Restricitng executables through telnet? (Dave Brown)
  Re: How to get module IP_ALIASES.O? ("Acid Rains")
  KPPP and PPPd Question (Lawrence S. Stephens III)

From: Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=FCbner?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: undefined symbol: gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:04:19 +0200

hello,

i have a problem with my balsa 0.9.1 installation
it works well for a time, but now i installed
a lot of stuff and now balsa dose not work
any more. On startup it says:
"undefined symbol: gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file"

i have reinstallt my gnome-libs without effect

can any one help me? i'm not very happy with
mail/mailx/pine and so on

thanks Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Balancing MP3 volume.
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 16:56:23 GMT

Hi,

Is there a command line tool to `normalize' or balance the volume of
mp3s?  Something simple, that just makes MP3s the same volume, without
me having to convert them to .wav's before.

Thanks,
 -- john

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: 20 Aug 2000 12:11:04 -0500

Garry Knight a écrit :

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Jerry L Kreps wrote:
>
> >I would call it a scaled up version of RH, since it does RH the way it
> >should be done and then adds a lot of polish.
>
> Surely you mean french... :o)

It is multilingual. It just fixes the fuck ups of RedHat in that regard while
maintening
a similar amount of core dumps that RedHat users are used to.

--
Vous en avez plein l'casse du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 20 Aug 2000 12:14:04 -0500

"D. C. & M. V. Sessions" a écrit :

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
> >
> > "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Aside from the 586 optimizations, there is also a matter of package
> > > compatibility.  Red Hat distributes files among packages one way,
> > > Mandrake another.  Chances are that an RPM from one will have
> > > conflicts and dependency problems with the other.
> >
> > Yeeaahh... it could happen, but in practice it doesn't.  I've had no trouble
> > installing and running Redhat or Suse rpms on my Mandrake system.  There are
> > probably a few Caldera ones in there, too.
>
> Found out the opposite a while ago -- there was a Mandrake rpm
> that would have been convenient but the thing was so loaded with
> conflicts that it wasn't worth the trouble.  Wish offhand I could
> remember which one.

Netscape 128 bits version. Impossible to install unless you screw up your sytem
bad. They made it such that you can't install those package under SuSE or RedHat.
There should be a standard on locals that should be the same whether you use
SuSE or Mandrake. I think the locales on mandrake are better but stability is
better under SuSE.

From: "Christian Roessner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MIME-type problem with Squid23 -STABLE4
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:22:14 +0100

Hello,

after hard work with installing Squid23-STABLE4 under SuSE6.4 I got it
run. But if I chose a ftp directory all icons are broken. The mime.conf,
mime.types files are located in /etc also the directory named icons. In
squid.conf I made the correct entries for mime table and icon path but as
I told you, it doesn´t find the icons. The syslog tells the following:

internalStart: unknown request: GET
/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-dirup.gif ...
...many more...

Who can help me. Thanks very much Christian

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: 20 Aug 2000 17:17:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
:> In comp.os.linux.help Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : BTW, Peter, I've done "fdisk /dev/hdb", "mke2fs /dev/hdb{1,5,6,7,9}",
:> : "mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/somewhere", and "cp -a /usr/local /mnt/somewhere"
:> : without rebooting or anything. Everything worked.  This was with kernel
:> : 2.2.10....
:> What I'm getting at is that bit in the boot sequence where it lists
:> the partition table for each ide device it finds. I don't think that
:> code sequence gets repeated.
: It doesn't need to get repeated.

The kernel needs to reread the partition table.

: You add the new partition to /etc/fstab.

Eh? If the kernel was't aware of it before, it does you no good.

: You mount the new partition manually, and *ding* it's there.

Uh uh. No way, jose.

: All that sequence at the start does is check the current partitions in
: /etc/fstab and mount them.

No. You're thinking of the wrong part. That's not the boot sequence,
that's the init sequence.

:> The only chance you'd get to run it would
:> be when every single partition on that disk was dismounted, and fdisk
:> or someone issued a pleading ioctl to the kernel.

: Eh? I don't quite know WHAT you're thinking!

What I said. If you change the partition table on the DISK, you have to
adjust the corresponding map that the kernel holds of it, or they'll
differ and you'll get "interesting" results. I.e. you have to persuade
the kernel to reread the partition table from the disk.

: The whole point of the mount command is to allow for an extendable
: filesystem without the need to reboot!

I think you're confusing two parts of the software universe.

I haven't rebooted in weeks, so I can't show you the log. But if you
get a chance, look at the kernel boot sequence. You'll see the kernel
reads the partition tables of all devices on the ide controllers.
Nothing to do with mount.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 20 Aug 2000 17:26:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
:> In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : The drive on my Linux box is full.  I have an old HD I can put in, but I
:> : don't know how to configure Linux to recognize it and partition it
:> : correctly.  How is this done?  Thanks.

:> Put drive in box. Boot system. Type fdisk /dev/hdb (or whatever) to
:> partition it. Run mke2fs  on the partitions after one reboot.
:> You have to reboot unless someone has worked out a way to get the
:> kernel to rescan the table ...

: Reboot? Why? All you need to do is mount it.

You can't. As far as the kernel is concerned it won't be there. It
needs to reread the partition table from the disk. The image it
has of the table is out of date. It will only reread the table
under particular circumstances, and you have to ask it to. Fdisk
does ask it, afair, but if any of the disk is mounted at the time,
(for example), the ioctl will error.

: (You'll have to shut down to put the drive in of course, but once it's
: there, there should be no need for a reboot).

Think again.  Why is this point so hard to grasp!  You canot change the
ondisk sizes of partitions or create new ones without requiring the
kernel to reread the table.  If it didn't reread and you changed the
size of /dev/hda1, say, then a mke2fs /dev/hda1 would use the old size
instead of the new one.

: No idea why a reboot is neccesary...

It guarantees that the kernel rereads the partition table.  I told him
to do that because I couldn't guarrantee it for him in any other easily
describable way.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Subject: Re: gcc problems
Date: 20 Aug 2000 18:11:22 +0100

Bosco Curtu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I am doing my thesis for the university. Actually I did it, it was an
>application that run in a UltraSparc, with Solaris... The application is in
>C and TCL/TK
>Now I want to make it run in LINUX, and I have some problems when I try to
>compile. If you could help me with anyone of them, please...
>I am using gcc version egcs-2.91.66., but I have no idea which version is
>UltraSparc's one.
>
>1. When I compiled in UltraSparc I used -G option. What is it for? What is
>the equivalent in Linux gcc?

Don't know :) But try searching the Sun answerbooks at docs.sun.com to
find out what -G does.

>2. I also used -R option, but I think I should use -l, to link libraries,
>shouldn't it?

Linux doesn't need -R. -R is used to hardcode a library search path into an
executable: Solaris doesn't have an ld.so.conf style dynamic loader, so
the library search path is either placed into the exe, or you use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So essentially, junk the -R options.

>3. The biggest problem I have is the next one: when I compile any program (a
>simple "hello world" for example), with: gcc hello.c, it reports me an
>error: /usr/bin/ld error: cannot open crti.o
>    What is it? (my ld version is 2.9.1)
>4. Perhaps my problems come from the standard C library. I don't know where
>it should be, but I am using one I have found in /usr/i586-glibc20-linux.
>What is this lib or package???? How can I set the library up to work with it
>correctly (currently, to compile "hello world", I have to write
>gcc -I/usr/i586-glibc20-linux hello.c.

These may be summat to do with the gcc specs file. But I don't know a huge
amount about it, so I'll let someone else answer this one :)

Chris...

--
@}-,'--------------------------------------------------  Chris Johnson --'-{@
    / "(it is) crucial that we learn the difference / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:00:19 GMT

Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi there...
>
> I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version of Red
> Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????   The same person
> told me that all the basic utility (the ones that are tailored by Red
> Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any of this true???  Thanks...
<snip>

Mandrake Linux branched off from Red Hat Linux in the 5.x days maybe 2
years ago. It started off because at that time, Red Hat refused to
include KDE within their distribution. So the initial Mandrake
releases were little more than Red Hat Linux with KDE. In a short
while, Mandrake became popular and then Red Hat decided to include KDE
in their distribution. Since then the Mandrake folks have strived on
their own, developing their own installation and configuration tools,
etc. Mandrake puts more effort towards the desktop market while Red
Hat goes for the server market so that is where you will see the
biggest difference.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:00:12 -0400

Cullmann wrote:

> Ok, it is no easy question, but which distribution is the best in your eyes.
> I search one that works well with GNOME.
>
> Thanks

Corel Linux is aimed at Windows users and seems to install as easily as
Windows - maybe even easier.  Handles partitioning for you.  The
distribution that requires the most knowlwdge is Slackware.  Some whare
in between is Mandrake, Storm, RedHat, and many others.  RedHat favors
GNOME, so you may want to give them a try.

Dennis,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:47:59 GMT

On 19 Aug 2000 19:25:35 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>: The drive on my Linux box is full.  I have an old HD I can put in, but I
>: don't know how to configure Linux to recognize it and partition it
>: correctly.  How is this done?  Thanks.
>
>Put drive in box. Boot system. Type fdisk /dev/hdb (or whatever) to
>partition it. Run mke2fs  on the partitions after one reboot.
>You have to reboot unless someone has worked out a way to get the
>kernel to rescan the table ...

Correct until the end. I installed a second drive to my system, added
partitions, and FDisk said something about calling IOCTL to recan table.

The only required re-boot was to physically install the drive (I didn't
have any hot-swappable equipment).

When I booted, I FDisk'ed the drive, mke2fs'ed the drive, modified fstab,
moved the contents of the /var partition (one of the ones I was moving
to the new drive) to a temp home, mounted the new /var partition on hdb,
moved the var-backup to its new home, and all was well.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:54:25 GMT

On 20 Aug 2000 07:42:00 GMT, Hiawatha Bray wrote:
>I tried this, but the copied /usr on my new larger disk seems to be missing
>files.  When I try to run programs like Midnight Commander, they don't work
>any more.  I went back to /etc/fstab and restored the mount for my original
>/usr partition, and everything went back to normal.  Could the cp -a command
>be the wrong one for copying everything?  Thanks.

You'll have to read the man page for 'cp' (man cp). One caveat you'll run
into when copying file is file permissions. Not all applications can deal
with their files suddenly being owned by 'root'. (Squid, for one, will bomb
on you if its cache is suddenly owned by root).

'cp -a' should do the trick for you, but I prefer to specify all options
verbosely rather than relying on a "Same as ... " approach. Also, I like
the -v (be verbose) option present so that I know what my system is doing,
also so that I know if there are any problems.

Me, I'd use;

cp -d -p -R -v /mnt/old /mnt/new

That worked like a champ for me when moving my /var partition around.
One could also possibly use the abilities of 'mc' to copy everything,
but I'd still stick with cp if I had the choice.

The other thing you could do, and it's something I've seen suggested
many times, is use 'tar' to archive all the files on the source partition
and expand them to the destination. This could be done in one or two steps
(either archive then extract, or use pipe to extract as it archives), but
again, cp worked for me so my reccomendation remains with it.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)
Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.4.0-test6

------------------------------

From: Rewur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: remove the start up programs
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 15:14:50 -0400

Hi
How to remove the start up programs ( like File Manger. ) that starts up
automatically after Linux is loaded.
Please Help

-Rewur

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 20 Aug 2000 19:06:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help Stewart Honsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 19 Aug 2000 19:25:35 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
:>: The drive on my Linux box is full.  I have an old HD I can put in, but I
:>: don't know how to configure Linux to recognize it and partition it
:>: correctly.  How is this done?  Thanks.
:>
:>Put drive in box. Boot system. Type fdisk /dev/hdb (or whatever) to
:>partition it. Run mke2fs  on the partitions after one reboot.
:>You have to reboot unless someone has worked out a way to get the
:>kernel to rescan the table ...

: Correct until the end. I installed a second drive to my system, added
: partitions, and FDisk said something about calling IOCTL to recan table.

That's the one. The ioctl'll error out unless the drive is completely
dismounted at the time. I couldn't guarrantee it for him at his level
of expertise, so I asked him to reboot, which will ensure that every
partition is dismounted.

: The only required re-boot was to physically install the drive (I didn't
: have any hot-swappable equipment).

You'd have had to reboot if your root was on the drive and you were
repartitioning it, for example. That kind of situation is all I
intended to avoid by issuing the instruction as above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Mitton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,mailing.comp.cdwrite
Subject: Re: Does cdrecord really work with IDE CD-R??
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:20:10 GMT

What distribution and kernel version are you using?

I get a very similar error with my Creative 6424 under kernel versions
2.2.14, 15 and 16.  Kernel version V2.2.13 (and prior) work perfectly.

There have been some major edits to the scsi source code in the last 3
kernel releases.

At this point my work around is to use 2.2.13.  This is not the best
solution BUT is all I have right now.  If you do some searches on
dejanews with write_g1 you'll see you are not the only one BUT no one
seems to have come up with a fix.

Good luck!

Arnold Selby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have failed bout 40 timess in succession  attempting to write the
>same 7 audio wav files
>to  various (memorex and TDK) CDRs.
>After 4 coasters, I shifted to -dummy.
>/root/cdrecord/cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd:
>
>retryable error
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>CDB:  2A 00 00 00 08 55 00 00 1B 00
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
>Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>
>Fixating time:    0.004s
>/root/cdrecord/cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi
>sendcmd: retryable error
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 00
>Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s

   Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                 'City of the Thousand Islands'
         EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          http://www.cybertap.com/dmitton
         Other: mitton.dyndns.org
   SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,omp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:32:19 -0700

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
>
> ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
> ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
> ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.misc
> ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
> ~~
>
> [ snip post, again ]
>
> Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
> script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
> looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
> encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
> much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
> account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
> there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
> wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.
>
> anm
> --

It's bad code all right. But it did try to install a "new" KDE on my
machine.

Yes, it even pops up a new window asking me if I wanted to proceed?

- blowfish.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Restricitng executables through telnet?
Date: 20 Aug 2000 14:36:00 -0500

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:04:36 GMT, Patrick M Geahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a couple of users that I want to have mail-only access to my RH6.x
>box.  Basically, when they telnet(or ssh) in, I want to execute a specific
>mail program, let them read and send, and when they exit, log back out.
>
>If I have to pick a specific app, I'd choose pine, but I'd like to let
>them choose their own.

Perhaps you could specify 'pine' in /etc/passwd as the startup program.
(There are a few other things you'd have to do to pull this off...)

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "Acid Rains" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: How to get module IP_ALIASES.O?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:55:12 +0800

Recompile ur kernel with enabling the IP alias into the kenel for slack
7.1.That shoud do it...

------------------------------

From: Lawrence S. Stephens III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KPPP and PPPd Question
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:55:50 GMT

I am running Kppp has a regular user. With the log window up I can see that it
connects to my ISP. But, when it starts pppd it just sit there then terminates.
While it is starting the pppd, I will run the ps -ef and egrep for the pppd to
see if it is running, but it is not.

What is wrong? I can run Kppp as root just fine. I can also dial-in with the
command "ifup ppp0" as a regular user with no problems.

Larry