Linux-Misc Digest #533, Volume #25               Wed, 23 Aug 00 11:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Firewall for Linux ("Patrick Lambe")
  Redhat 6.2 and Nis* (Probllem) (Guy-Armand Kamendje)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: xfstt fonts tools? (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: X-CD-Roast reads data CDs but not audio under RH6.2 (muzh)
  how to treat TAR file as another directory? (leha)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Quentin Christensen)
  Re: Can't type 'backtick' in JOE editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Question for you all... (LFessen106)
  Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Karsten Wutzke)
  Problems to mount a Novell-Directory under Linux (Michael)
  Lotus Mail ("someone")
  Kernel panic No init found. ("Philippe LE YONCOURT")
  Problem building my 2.2.10 kernel ("Ghislain Gadbois")
  Re: Lotus Mail ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Dances With Crows)
  X and startup with Gnome (Eugene Y Lee)
  Mount a NTFS-directory under linux (Michael)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: How do you pronounce GNOME? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Firewall for Linux (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux.... (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: how to pause a program? (Garry Knight)
  Re: bad sector (Garry Knight)
  Re: How do you pronounce GNOME? (Garry Knight)
  Re: crypt command (Garry Knight)
  Re: Hard Drive Has Shrunk (Garry Knight)
  Re: XWindow Managers (paul simdars)
  Re: Question for you all... ("Jason")
  Re: XWindow Managers (paul simdars)

From: "Patrick Lambe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Firewall for Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:44:25 +0100

"Jason Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8nvg72$oiu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a firewall on my Linux box. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
> I am a newbie for this and I want to know which one is good...

You might want to check out the book building linux and openBSD firewalls,
probably tells you more than you want to know right now, but it will make
you think about what you want out of your firewall, which as others have
said is probably the most difficult part of building any firewall.

P. (Considering how frequently I recommend this book, I ought to be on
commission ;o)

------------------------------

From: Guy-Armand Kamendje <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Redhat 6.2 and Nis* (Probllem)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:01:48 +0000

I have the following problem: I have installed Nis+ on my Redhat 6.2
machine and the connection to the Nis+ Server is quite ok! (Users in the
NIs+) kann logon on my machine. But whenever I try to mount a directory
from the Nis+ server (for example users directories), I get the
following message.
call_verify: server requires stronger authentication
call_verify: unknown auth error 5
I dont really understand what this means. The client credential was
created using DES as security parameter.
How can I resolve this problem?
--
 G.A. Kamendje  || Tel +43 316 873 55 51
 T-U Graz       || www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/g/gaillard/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: 23 Aug 2000 11:06:46 GMT

M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

: [...]

:>Not... quite...
:>You can remount a partition read-only and THEN perform fsck -c -y.
:>(-y speeds things up when it gets to filesystem cleanup)

: Not if it's the root partition - which may or may not be the case.

You can do that as well. mount -rno remount /;

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: xfstt fonts tools?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:29:11 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:29:42 GMT, Myint wrote:
>I installed xfstt. I through in .TTFs that I used in MS Windows.
>Installation went ok.
>
>1. I open up kde-editor and select font. I can see all the fonts I through
>in but when select any one of my fonts, the preview window show nothing but
>a blank. Why?

Did you run ttmkfdir in the directory to update the fonts.dir file?
Not sure but that might help.

Oh wait, xfstt doesn't seem to need that (I suppose).
Whenever you add fonts run `xfstt --sync'. Read the INSTALL file
and other docs.

Marc

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-CD-Roast reads data CDs but not audio under RH6.2
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:44:32 +1200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Okay, this has me really stumped. We have been
> running xcdroast-0.96e under RH6.1 for quite a
> long while with very few problems. Recently, we
> upgraded from 6.1 to 6.2, and this seemed to break
> xcdroast in a most unusual way. The program still
> reads data (i.e., iso9660) CDs, but no longer
> recognizes the CD drive whenever an audio CD is
> entered. I originally thought that this was a
> problem with the gtcd program automagically
> reading the audio CDs, but when I disabled that in
> the gnome configuration, the problem remained. We
> have a Plextor PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R, on a SCSI
> interface. Thank you for letting me know
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

X-CDRoast is merely a front-end for various other programmes -- mkisofs,
cdrecord, etc.
For audio copying my version of xcdroast uses cdparanoia.
Perhaps when you upgraded your linux you broke and/or lost cdparanoia?

--
Never trust a man in a suit --

cll

------------------------------

From: leha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to treat TAR file as another directory?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:51:36 GMT

I have tar file and want to share it on the network as a directory.
Is it possible to do something like "mount -o loop ..." with the TAR
file?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen)
Date: 23 Aug 2000 11:59:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer) wrote in <8o0b86$pl5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>: [...]
>
>:>Not... quite...
>:>You can remount a partition read-only and THEN perform fsck -c -y.
>:>(-y speeds things up when it gets to filesystem cleanup)
>
>: Not if it's the root partition - which may or may not be the case.
>
>You can do that as well. mount -rno remount /;
>
>Peter

Sorry I haven't had a chance to try this out (been very busy doing programming
in m$ Windows for uni, so haven't had a chance to even boot linux this week.),
I've been saving the posts and aim to try it out very shortly (tomorrow, after
I hand in all the windows programs I've been writing :).

The linux partition is the only linux partition at this stage (it is a first
install :) I have plans to put things like /home and /usr on seperate
partitions when I get my new hdd, if I can figure out how to set that up :)

I can do this from the same partition I'm checking? I hadn't thought of that.
I could boot from floppy if it's easier to do it that way.  Like i said, I'll
try it all out tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

I wonder how crow's going with his(her) bad sectors?

Regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen.
My Freeware: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/freeware.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't type 'backtick' in JOE editor
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:39:32 +0100

Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>    Anyone using JOE editor? I can't type a 'backtick' char... :(
>    When I press the 'backtick', it says: Ctrl - (or 0-9 for dec. ...)

>    I remember that some time it worked.

The backtick key is used as a meta-character.
the first time you press it, you get the character code message.
Hitting it again, gives you the character itself.
I'm typing this in joe, just to prove it works...
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
:)

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Subject: Question for you all...
Date: 23 Aug 2000 12:44:50 GMT

I am a Coordinator of a local Linux User Group, and as a topic of discussion
for our LUG, I would like to ask you all this question:

What is your favorite Linux Application and why?

-Linc.

------------------------------

From: Karsten Wutzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:11:23 +0200

Hi all!

Up-front:
Sorry for posting in so many newsgroups, but I didn't know where to ask,
especially with the Mac...

I'm writing a Java (hooray) application where I'm generating plain ASCII
files and I want the user to be able to choose whether s/he wants a
Unix, Windows Joliet, MS-DOS or Mac file to be generated (it will also
run on any of these platforms). It's not only about the carriage
returns, but also about which characters are forbidden in file names AND
how many characters long a file name and its extension can be at
maximum, e.g. for DOS it's 8.3. Luckily Windows tells me that when
creating an absolutely invalid filename, like /§&%(§%&)", the characters
\ / : * ? " < > and | are forbidden, but what's the maximum filename
length...? What about Linux or Unix in general? Don't they have
different file naming systems? What were they based on...Minix file
system? Don't remember... What about the Mac?

Can anyone explain WHY some characters are prohibited?

Thanks for your help! It is highly appreciated!

Karsten

--
Anti SPAM:
Remove 123 from email address to reply.

------------------------------

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems to mount a Novell-Directory under Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:49:01 +0200

I installed the ncpfs-package, but I always get errors wenn I try to
connect
to the netware server like this:

ncpmount -S NOVELL-FS /novell -U testuser
Logging into NOVELL-FS as testuser
Password:
ncpmount: No such entry (-601) in nds login
Login denied

If I try the bindery login the error looks this way:

ncpmount -S NOVELL-FS /novell -U testuser -b
Logging into NOVELL-FS as testuser
Password:
ncpmount: Unknown server in login
Login denied

Can somebody tell me why this doesn't work?

Thanks

Michael

------------------------------

From: "someone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Lotus Mail
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:15:57 +0800

Hi,

My company uses lotus mail server for their internal email needs. My problem
is this :- I'll be setting up a internet gateway on a linux box. Is there
anyway to setup a linux web-base email server to interface to the lotus
server so that I can read my mails anywhere in the world ?

Thanks a million in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Philippe LE YONCOURT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel panic No init found.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:20:02 +0200

Hi,

I cannot boot from my hard drive. I have the following message

VFS : Mounted root (ext2 filesystem ) readonly
Change_root : old root has d_count=1
Trying to unmount old root . okay
Freeing unused kernel memory : 44K Freed
Warning unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel

However :
/dev/console exist
I reinstalled sysvinit
The seciurs diskette boot normally

Thanks for your help

--
PLEASE ANSWER TO:
       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ghislain Gadbois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem building my 2.2.10 kernel
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:53:53 -0400

Hi,

   I tried to rebuild my kernel (make mrproper; make menuconfig; make
depend; make clean; make zImage; make modules; make modules_install), and I
found out that it failed...  The resulting zImage is about 2 Kb in size!

   I tried to track down the problem, and I found out that the command
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage failed.
It loads the bootsect and setup files properly, but it fails to load the
system file (compressed/vmlinux.out).

   What can I do to solve this problem?

   My kernel version is 2.2.10 and I checked all the versions of the
components (gcc, make, binutils, etc.) and they all correspond to the
versions mentionned in Documentation/Changes.txt.

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lotus Mail
Date: 23 Aug 2000 13:45:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help someone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: My company uses lotus mail server for their internal email needs. My problem
: is this :- I'll be setting up a internet gateway on a linux box. Is there
: anyway to setup a linux web-base email server to interface to the lotus
: server so that I can read my mails anywhere in the world ?

?? If the lotus mail server supports pop or imap you can get email from
it anywhere anyway. Maybe lotus mail isn't mail. Doesn't it have a web
interface too? Just curious.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Date: 23 Aug 2000 14:00:34 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:11:23 +0200, Karsten Wutzke wrote:
>files and I want the user to be able to choose whether s/he wants a
>Unix, Windows Joliet, MS-DOS or Mac file to be generated (it will also
>run on any of these platforms). It's not only about the carriage
>returns, but also about which characters are forbidden in file names AND
>how many characters long a file name and its extension can be at
>maximum, e.g. for DOS it's 8.3. Luckily Windows tells me that when
>creating an absolutely invalid filename, like /§&%(§%&)", the characters
>\ / : * ? " < > and | are forbidden, but what's the maximum filename
>length...? What about Linux or Unix in general? Don't they have
>different file naming systems? What were they based on...Minix file
>system? Don't remember... What about the Mac?

Unix filename conventions were created long before Minix existed.  The
only character that's forbidden is "/" since that character is used as a
directory separator.  Most Unices these days have a 255-character limit
on filenames.  The pre-OS X Mac has a 32-character limit, and the
forbidden character is ":", again because it's a directory separator.

>Can anyone explain WHY some characters are prohibited?

Back around... oh, 1983, in Horribly Ancient Times</SARCASM>, people
interacted with their computers through the command line.  Naturally,
they had to have some way of specifying "the file 'bar' in the directory
'foo' " on the command line.  The Unix designers chose to use "foo/bar",
Apple chose to use "foo:bar", and Microsoft chose "foo\bar".  Naturally,
you can't have a file named "b/ar" on a Unix machine, as a pathname like
"/me/b/ar" looks like "file ar in directory b in directory me" instead
of "file b/ar in directory me."  They could have used a control
character as a directory separator, but those are harder to type and
most have no printable representation, making command-line editing more
difficult.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: Eugene Y Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X and startup with Gnome
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:06:09 -0400

I've just recently installed XFree 4.01 for my NVIDIA gforce 2.  I am
running RH 6.2  I managed to get GNOME to load up when I type 'startx'
from the command prompt.  X windows in this case works beautifully.

My only problem is that I would like to boot up with a graphical login.
However when I select graphical login with linuxconf, and reboot, I do
not get GNOME.  I get a X windows interface reminiscent of thos old
school SUN boxes.  I believe this is the failsafe default?  How do I get
it to boot up with GNOME?

Thanks

Eugene

------------------------------

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mount a NTFS-directory under linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:29:13 +0200

can somebody tell me how to mount a NTFS-Partition residing on a
NT-server in my network on my Linux-server?

Is it something like:

mount -t ntfs 192.168.1.1:user /test

Thanks

Michael

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:15:22 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> : [...]
>
> :>Not... quite...
> :>You can remount a partition read-only and THEN perform fsck -c -y.
> :>(-y speeds things up when it gets to filesystem cleanup)
>
> : Not if it's the root partition - which may or may not be the case.
>
> You can do that as well. mount -rno remount /;
>
> Peter

Will your system still work if you do that and you have failed to move
stuff like /tmp, /var, and /home to one or more other partitions that
do have write permission?

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How do you pronounce GNOME?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Aug 2000 10:17:30 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 1. Is it gnome, like the man who sits by your pond.  OR
> 2. Is it Gee-Nome, as in the human gnome project. OR
> 3. Is it pronounced similar to GNU, like Gu-Nome.
>
> Any Ideas?

GUH-nome.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Aug 2000 10:20:06 -0400

Ian Linwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:40:24 -0700, "Peter Cheung"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >You will need two
> >NICs;
>
> You need two interfaces, not NIC's
> ie. eth0 and ppp0

no.  you need only one interface.  it's perfectly reasonable to have
your machine packet firewall itself using, e.g., ipchains.  a bastion
host (with firewall, without many services) is better, but that would
require having two boxen and sacrificing one to be the bastion.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:19:43 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I am using Redhat 6.2.
> >> If my XWindows hang, but I am sure that other service are still running.
>
> > I had this situation too - I used to set up a reboot script with the 'at'
> > command about five minutes after I entered X - if my latest videomode /
> > screen experiment worked, I would just exit and cancel the queued at
> > command. Otherwise I take a walk and when I come back my system has shut
> > down and rebooted normally.
>
> Rebooted??? Just to kill an X server?
> Rather wastefull, that. Killall X should be all you need, and at least then
> you still have a working system (Virtual Consoles).

And how do you enter killall X if your X server is so crashed that you cannot get
a CLI at all; i.e., when Control-Alt-PF[1-6] do nothing? The only suggestion I
have heard for this that I could use is to ssh (or telnet if I had it enabled)
into the machine from my other machine and do it from there. And if someone has
only a single machine that does not happen to be dialed into the Internet at the
time, he cannot do even that.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux....
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:11:54 -0400

Arthur Sowers wrote (in part):

>  there is no troubleshooting section in the Applix manual,
> either).

Are we on the same page? When I bring up Applixware 5.0 and click on the
leftmost icon on the toolbar (the one that says "Office"), I get a pop-up box
with some tabs across the top, one of which is "Getting Help" and, if you select
it, you get a bunch of buttons labelled:

   * Search Help Database
   * Help on Help
   * Help on SHELF
   * Applixware Basics
   * Applixware Manuals

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to pause a program?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:47:39 +0100

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Cuneyt Sert wrote:
>>>how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
>>>window?
>
>> Ctrl+S to pause, Ctrl+Q to restart.
>
>That only locks the terminal window itself, not the program running on it.

I realised this on re-reading the original post. For some reason I assumed he
meant paused the output. Apologies for any confusion.

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: bad sector
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:32:12 +0100

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, crow wrote:
>: >does anybody know how I can get around a bad sector?
>: >(it's not necessary that I keep my current data)
>:
>: In a taxi. Oh, what's that? You mean your hard disk?  :o)
>:
>: $ man badblocks
>
>you should go to bed earlier :)

But then you'd have had to wait longer for an answer. :o)

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:47:03 +0100

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>1. Is it gnome, like the man who sits by your pond.  OR
>2. Is it Gee-Nome, as in the human gnome project. OR
>3. Is it pronounced similar to GNU, like Gu-Nome.

It's more like 3, although I'd have typed it as "guh-nome".

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crypt command
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:35:57 +0100

Have you tried looking on Freshmeat <URL: http://www.freshmeat.org> or RPMFind

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Has Shrunk
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:43:44 +0100

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, N/A wrote:
>upon the installation and un-installation of Mandrake Linux 7.0 i lost
>some harddrive space where my hard drive now says 'HP Pavilion Local Disk
>4.53 GB', the problem is i really have 6.1 GB and it isnt detecting the
>other 1.5GB or so. how can i reclaim the disk space? can Partition Magic
>help?

It can if you've got it, or if you're prepared to pay for it.

Alternatively, download Ranish Partition Manager and use it to a) set the
partition's type to the same as your Windows partition (FAT 16 or FAT32),
b) format the partition, c) delete it so it gets merged back with your Windows
partition. <URL: http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/>

I've done this with no ill effects, but obviously you do this at your own risk
after backing up.

--
Garry Knight

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:32:01 -0500
From: paul simdars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XWindow Managers

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> Gero H. Marten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> [ What is a "desktop switching tool"? Never heard of it. I use SuSE 6.3
> [ and do all configuration with my editor.
>
> It's one of those menu items to help those former Micro$oft users make
> the move gradually to Linux, but with a half-baked implementation a user
> such as root can get lost
>
> --
> jazz
> Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386
> Doesn't it bother you, that we have to search for intelligent life
> --- OUT THERE??

This was posted as 'root' because my user account was messed up so I had to
use the root account to post these messages.  But your reply was very
helpful.  And I thank you.

From: "Jason" <Jason(AT)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: Question for you all...
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:23:21 -0500

well,  I don't really think of it all that much, but it would have to be
either xmms (if you are looking for a 'real app') or Perl.    I say xmms
because I feel it's a great example of how we can have everything that
windows users have, if the desire is strong enough.  Winamp is one of the
few applications that was done correctly in windows before Nullsoft went
into feature bloat mode.  Perl because, well, you can do practically
anything with it.  If it wasn't for perl,  I would have a lot of mundane
tasks and some of my stuff wouldn't be nearly as wizz-bang  and high on the
'ooohh ahhhh' factor.

--
                         Jason
          www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:37:42 -0500
From: paul simdars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> And, as long as I have you here . . .

When I got my X back, I recalled the reason I had been fooling around in the
menues in the first place.  Namely, I must have hit a funny key sequence or
something but the top bar (the title bar) on my window disappeared.  Who
cares about the title anyway.  But, that bar also contains the close box,
and the size box and most important of all -- that is where you go to move a
window.   So, I am not able to move any windows and if I start a program,
its window is on the top and I cannot access any other program until I quit
the program on top (no tasks show up in the task bar).  It's a real pain.
If you know about this one I'd love to hear it.  I looked all over for where
you set up the title bars, etc.
Thanks again,  your info on the first problem was excellent.
Paul