From: GYULAI Mihaly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Launching Linux without XWINDOW
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:15:21 GMT

In article <9105jm$4m8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Megret" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know how i can launch linux without xwindow.
> I have tried combinations of keys but i can't  find any that works!!

You can switch off X, with Alt-Ctrl-Backspace combination.

If it always starts, you can go to a text-console with Ctrl-Alt-F1,
Ctrl-Alt-F2, Ctrl-Alt-Fx... you can go to a new login console such
way...

--
GYULAI Mihaly
http://gyulai.freeyellow.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: host name lookup failure?????
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:22:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> /etc/resolv.conf should look like:
>
> search <.your_local_domain_if_you_have_one>

What does this mean? ISP name? If this means my computer, how do I read
it?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:34:33 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How I can do this?

> Bonsoir à tous,
>
> For installation of Oracle on my machine with 512 meg of RAM, on RH 6.2,
> I must change "#define SHMMAX 0x2000000" of
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/shmparam.h file, rebuilt my kernel.
> 1- what is the value I must set instead of "0x2000000" corresponding to
> 512 meg. of RAM?

1- Depends on your database(s), try with 4 or 8 and watch out what will
work best for you.

> 2- I'm confused about the recompilation process!
> Suppose I want to maintain my actual kernel 2.2.14, when building
> recompilation steps using e.g. "xconfig, menuconfig,...": what I must
> select, activate or answer by "YES" in the rebuilt process to allow
> changments in "shmparam.h" to be take into account in the new kernel?

2-Nothing, you can't change SHHMAX via those tools, or why do you think you
have to change it with vi....?
Please read the Kernel Howto.

> 3- If I want by this occasion upgrade to "kernl 2.2.18, how this will
> happened? I must search "shmparam.h" in the new untar "kernel 2.2.18"
> and set in it my new value, recompile, or what to do?

3-You don't have to search for shmparam.h it has the same position as
before, if you have
done everything right ....:-)
Of course you have to set it and recompile....

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Jacob Kristensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: inittab deleted
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:55:12 +0100

It's a long story, but i have lost my /etc/inittab file.
Could someone using Red Hat 7.0 send it to me?

Thanx
Jacob Kristensen

--
There he goes...One of Gods own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: folder size
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:57:43 GMT

>Does anyone know a way to get the size of a folder and all its
>subfolders even if it's very small let's say less than 100k.

For what definition of "size of a folder"?

>usualy I use du but it doesn't work well if the folder is too small.

It works quite well for some definitions.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was in a HOT
                                  at               TUB! I was NORMAL! I was

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:56:22 +0100
From: Nils Zonneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: inittab deleted

Jacob Kristensen wrote:

> It's a long story, but i have lost my /etc/inittab file.
> Could someone using Red Hat 7.0 send it to me?
>
> Thanx
> Jacob Kristensen

If you didn't restart you box you can reinstall the rpm with all base scripts.

Nils

--
"Misschien is niets geheel waar, en zelfs dat niet"
Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker) - Idee 1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.qnx,de.comp.os.sinix,comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.unix.solaris,alt.solaris.x86,comp.sys.sgi.misc,comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.unix.unixware.misc,comp.sys.m88k,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,comp.unix.aix,comp.sys.dec
Subject: New scriptable secure FTP client available for UNIX
Date: 12 Dec 2000 22:12:52 GMT

A new FTP client is available for UNIX:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient

It offers the following features:

 . Optional Kerberos 4 and 5, SSL/TLS, and SRP security.
 . A built-in scripting language for automation.
 . Character-set translation, including Unicode.
 . Automatic text/binary mode switching (PUT/MPUT only).
 . Flexible file selection (sizes, dates, lists, patterns, exception lists).
 . Update and recovery modes.
 . Preservation of file permissions (Unix-to-Unix only).
 . Recursive directory-tree transfers, even across platforms.
 . File collision options (backup, rename, update, reject, etc).
 . Uses passive mode by default to minimize blockage by firewalls.
 . Friendly interactive command interface (keyword and filename menus and
   completion on demand; command recall, macros, files, and shortcuts).
 . Ability to specify a complete session on the shell command line, or by
   an FTP URL, without using scripts, interactive commands, or command files.
 . Configurable logging, debugging, and feedback options.

The new FTP client is called C-Kermit 7.1:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck71.html

Yes, it's the same C-Kermit program that makes serial and Telnet connections
-- now it can make FTP connections too.  And for that matter also Rlogin and
HTTP (and on some platforms X.25)...

It has been built and tested successfully so far on various releases of
Linux (Red Hat, Slackware, Suse, Debian), FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, AIX,
HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, SunOS, QNX, SINIX, Unixware, SCO OSR5, Tru64, NeXT,
DG/UX, SV/68, SV/88, and even 4.3BSD on the VAX, and should be buildable and
usable on any other version of UNIX that has a C compiler and a sockets
library.

This not a final release -- it's the first Alpha-test release.  If you have
trouble with it, questions, or comments, send them to:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Frank da Cruz
The Kermit Project
Columbia University

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Linux/Mandrake good?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:35:34 +0000

Matthew B wrote:

> Well, anyone?......any thoughts????
>
> Is linux/mandrake any good?
> AND is there something wrong with RH7 or is it just me?
> I have had version 5.2 through to 7. thats when the troubles
> started....now i,m checking out this so called MDK

Ummm, well it depends how much you want to configure it to your own
satisfaction, and whether you want it to do stuff you didn't ask it to do,
etc.  In short it depends on whether you are happy with it "as is".

I started with Mand 7.0 and liked it initiially.  It gave me no install
problems.  But the more I use it, the more I get frustrated with it.  It's
very hard to find out where specific config files are stored and it doesn't
seem to follow the basic "theory" of linux or X (i.e. no book you buy will
tell you how it works).  It also seems to put files in different places in
different versions.

In Mand 7.2, which I've just upgraded to, cron seems to be set to do a
whole load of stuff that's not clear to me.  The problem with this is that
when I was downloading a file from the net, it kicked in with a massive use
of disk and took over the machine so that the download was aborted.  This
is not nice.  I've disabled it all.  I hope.

So.  It just depends on what you want to do.  It's fine if you have a very
fast machine with lots of RAM and you just want to use KDE as it gets
installed.  ... And if your printer works OK.

Otherwise, I'd think again.  I'm considering making a change.  But I don't
know what to.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester)
Subject: Re: Mail with shell script
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:38:47 GMT

I saw Jan Wolfgang Huelsberg rant about the following:
>Thanks a lot for the advice.
>I must admit that I still don't have a clue where I set the Subject field.
>Is that done in the mail file?
>I thought there is only the text.
>
>>     print MTA "Dear ",@name,", please enjoy the following:\n";
>> #              ^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> #              \- change this to suit your needs

Change that line there. That's the subject.

--
-- Fester

I met this other girl, she was into crack and crank and ritalin.
We drove around looking to score and she started vibrating so
fast she disappeared.

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake upgrade: terrible
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:38:13 +0000

Tom wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Andrew Brooks"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had a clean installation of Mandrake 7.0 and tried the 7.2 upgrade
> > yesterday.  What a disaster!
>
>    The general consensus with 7.2 is to do a clean install,
> not an upgrade.  There's many reasons for this, but the 2 main
> reasons are the shift to compliance with the LSB, and the
> differences bewtween KDE2 and KDE1.  Do a fresh 7.2 install
> and I believe most all your problems will go away.
>
>    Tom
Even so, it has a lot of problems. It seems to be evolving into a
Windows-type system.  With all that that entails.  :-(

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "steven_bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: Using SAR to determine Programs Mem Use.
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:38:09 -0000

use ps -elf |grep <your proc name>|grep -v grep

then run ps -elf|more or man ps to check the column headings, two or three
of them are to do with memory usage, i've got a doosie of a one liner which
passes the output to sort & gives you the most active process by cpu time or
memory usage, only its at work & i'll have to send it in tomorrow.

steven

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Kde 2 Reeeeally slow, or is it my box poorly trimmed ?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:46:30 +0000

Garry Knight wrote:

> In article <90h5ih$21r8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Emmanuel Beranger"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Kde 1 was fine on my AMD 350 I tried KDE 2, just to see ... but I soon
> > reverted to 1, because it was sooooo slow ...
> >
> > Any1 got the same impression, or you all have rocket 1,5 Ghz chips ?
>
> Nope. I'm running KDE2 on a Cyrix P200MMX with 80MB RAM and it runs at
> an acceptable speed. I guess it depends what you're used to.

It's slow with 64MB  and a Pentium Pro 200
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: blindly accepted net advice--> blew away filesystem
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:55:04 +0800

Here's an example of what happens when you go blindly ahead and
execute well intentioned netnews advice.  What this message in big5 Chinese says
is that
he wanted to remove his many "core" files, and the respondent forgot to tell him
to add '-name' after 'find /' ... and indeed his entire filesystem was wiped.
Don't let it happen to you.  [From
tw.bbs.comp.linux ]

"¶H§Î¹Ü¦W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó
news:3dXJD9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ¿n¤¦¥§
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: defunct
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:00:30 -0500

> That usually works but in this case the netsape parent will not die and
> I have thrown every kill signal I can think of.
>
> I have never attempted to kill pid 1 but something tells me that is not
> a good idea.
>
> I can start up a new netscape and I will get a new parent and a new
> <defunct>  but the dead netscape still retains its resources thus making
> it a problem.

You should be able to get rid of any process with kill -9 except for
those in state "D" as indicated by top (waiting for pending IO). It
will then remain as a zombie until its parent waits for it. If its
parent is PID 1, init will wait for it and it should disappear.

If you are stuck with wait state D, rebooting seems to be the only
answer. I hope I am wrong about this and that someone corrects me
because this happens once in a while with my DDS-2 tapedrive on its
own private SCSI controller. I can kill the process easily enough with
a -9, but it will not let go and keeps the file open until the IO
completes, which it never will. And until it closes the file, the
device is busy and cannot be used again.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Star Office installation Q.
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:02:28 +0000

In article <915ptm$pmi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Aulne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> anyone knows how to install SO for multi-users?

In a console, su to root, make sure the downloaded file has execute
permissions, then enter the name of the file followed by /net

Once it's installed, each user can run the setup file in the
/<installdir>/office52/program directory (where <installdir> is where
you installed it. For example:
  /opt/office52/program/setup
This puts 2-3 MB of files in each user's home directory which allows
them to have individual settings, templates, and so on.

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Serge Delorme)
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:26:46 GMT

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:10:25 GMT, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Andrew Brooks"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had a clean installation of Mandrake 7.0 and tried the 7.2 upgrade
>> yesterday.  What a disaster!

I ditched mandrake because this distro can not be upgrade.
Each time a new version comes out you have to wipe out
everything...upgrades never works 100%.
MandrakeUpdate (for updading individual packages via the net)
was the last straw when it bombed updating glibc...guess what
happens when you have a broken glibc.

--
Serge Delorme   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Un autre utilisateur GNU/DEBIAN

------------------------------

From: Bob van der Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: configuring CUPS print server
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:43:49 -0700

I just upgraded to Mandrake 7.2. All seems to be working okay...but I'm
having a bit of a problem with CUPS. It installed nicely and works, but
I can't seem to adjust the margins, etc. The sample testpage had the top
and right margins cut off. I've tried to adjust the  margins using kups
as well as just editing the config file (/etc/cups/lpoptions), but
nothing I do seems to have any effect. I can only assume that I'm
buggering with the wrong file, or that cups is ignoring the config, or
that the testpage ignores the config???

Any ideas appreciated.

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Michael Collins ())
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel questions
Date: 13 Dec 2000 00:04:12 GMT

>I have a couple of questions.
I have one too.  Why did you cross-post to so many groups?

>What is a backport?

On this one I am not certain.  But with linux 2.4 soon to be
released, I believe some of the newest functionallity
is being put 'back' into kernel 2.2 releases, hence, backport.

>What patch goes with what kernel? i.e. Does patch-2.2.18 update kernel
>2.2.17 or 2.2.18?

For kernel patches you must find your current kernel with
some command like 'uname -r'.  Then to patch that kernel
you must get *the next higher numbered* patch.

If 'uname -r' reported '2.2.17', you then would get the
2.2.18 patch.

Good luck.

--Chris