Linux-Misc Digest #543, Volume #25               Thu, 24 Aug 00 06:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Serial port /dev? (China Black & Blue)
  Is there a security hole in RH 6.2? ("Peter Cheung")
  Re: Good books (Harlan Grove)
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
  Power failure - how do I fix... ("Murray Alexander")
  Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT (Harlan Grove)
  Re: 3D w/ Matrox G400 (Torsten Evers)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Quentin Christensen)
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Is there a security hole in RH 6.2? (Andreas Kahari)
  RPMs for Apache.. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  FREEWARE - Systems administration utilities (Richard Anderson)
  crypt code (jose luis fernandez diaz)
  Re: Serial port /dev? (Walter Roberson)
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows (Chris Lee)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Kenneth Rørvik)
  XFree86 vs Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: crypt command (John Thompson)
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Lord Apollyon)
  joe (the editor) scaling problems (David Grogan)
  Re: Should I build up an athlon box or buy an Imac DV? (Ian Robinson)
  Re: XFree86 vs Windows ("Chris Severn")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (China Black & Blue)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.misc
Subject: Serial port /dev?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:31:45 -0700

I'm trying to move bytes between Irix and Linux serial ports. I tried
/dev/ttyd1 on Irix and /dev/ttyS0 on Linux. Do those looking vaguely
correctly?

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Sign up for WASHINGTON MUTUAL BANK's special
We Rob You While You Sleep Service TODAY!
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
CACS: Collective Against Consensual Sanity       v0.123
Now a text site map http://www.tsoft.com/~wyrmwif/cacs/
pretty?     http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/5079/
:)-free zone.                 Elect LUM World Dictator!

------------------------------

From: "Peter Cheung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is there a security hole in RH 6.2?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:31:26 -0700

Hi all,

I heard that there is a big security hole in RH 6.2. Has
RH fixed it with their current release of 6.2 or does it
require that the administrators patch it up themselves?

How about RH 6.1 (which is the version I am currently running)?
I didn't see any security advisory on the RH web page for 6.1
but did see one in 6.2.

Anyone like to add to this?

------------------------------

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good books
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:27:55 GMT

In article <8o1dqc$ff9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Since I'll get more and more involved with Linux I would like some
>recommendations about good books.
>I prefer Red Hat and it would also be good if it's updated for the
>latest release (6.2 at the moment).
>But also generic books that is a must, is interesting.
>
>One note though I don't want books that are concentrating on one
>specific issue e.g. TCP/IP.

I found Duane Hellum's 'Red Hat Linux Installation & Configuration
Handbook' useful. When configuring things it's easier to refer to than
HOWTO's. Lots of dross, though, and it covers 6.0 rather than 6.2. More
of a beginner sysadmin book.

If you're not too familiar with Unix/Linux and expect to do things with
the shell, Kernighan & Pike's 'The Unix Programming Environment' is a
must have. It's a classic in the sense that it's been around a LONG time
(ca 15 years), but it's about the best high level primer for Unix(like)
systems I've read.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:33:56 -0700

What you are suggesting is nothing new, it has been around since the first
timeshare systems.  My interpretation of your article is that you will be
reintroducing the old timeshare system that have overall been rejected
because of serious issues of security, privacy, and reliability.  Not to
mention the performance bottle neck at centeral unit.

It seems that your have read avout Microsoft.NET and you suggesting a form a
Linux.NET.  Microsoft.NET has too many issues for it to work, without one
hell of an expensive advertising campain directed to form clueless userbase
that are unwilling or unable to realize the problems with Microsoft.NET are
indemic with it core to the point that it cannot be fixed with todays
network bandwidths.

How are your planning to handle the bandwidth problem?  How are you planning
to get the OS and libraries and other software on a host that is needed to
handle XML without having to install it?  Who is going to run the servers?
Were is that data going to be stored?  Who will guarentee that one day's
data files will be readable by the programs available the next day?  Who is
going to defray the cost of running the servers? etc.

news:3q1p5.14319$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Murray Alexander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Power failure - how do I fix...
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 05:48:26 GMT

I have a Linux box running (at least it WAS running) RedHat 6.x. I divided
the hard drive into 4 partitions, and set them up as /, swap, /usr, and
/var. A power failure messed up the partition containing /var, and I had to
run fsck. After taking the default answers to such questions as "Clear this
inode?" and "Delete duplicated data blocks", the /var filesystem contains
nothing.

So, how do I figure out what needs to be there? I remember that I need a
/var/log directory, a /var/spool directory and a few others. What I'm
looking for is an authoritative list (if such exists) of what should be
there, or what likely ought to be there.

I can't find such a list. Anybody got any ideas as to exactly where to RTFM?

------------------------------

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:06:46 GMT

In article <8o1j5h$lp0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>The question I'd like to pose to the newsgroup would be what makes
>Windows so unreliable and prone to crashing?

Windows 95 is less reliable than windows NT in part because the former
is expected to run a lot more old software, i.e., DOS and 16-bit Windows
software. The original releases of MS-DOS didn't provide soup-to-nuts
services like the more recent versions of Windows, so way back software
developers got in the habit of bypassing the OS. If their software got a
large enough market share, future versions of MS-DOS (now Windows)
needed to support it. In other words, Microsoft OS's are products of
accretion. This was a market imperitive.

Then there's DLL hell. Other companies bundle DLLs that they install
with their executables and other files, and sometimes (often?) they're
not the most recent versions, so they can screw up other applications
and the OS itself.

>Also, what improvements to Linux would you make to make it as
>accessable and as popular to the general computer using populous?

Well, IMO, multiple user OS's will never be too popular with the general
public. I'm the only adult in my extended family (friends are too skewed
a sample - only family is random) who doesn't mind having multiple IDs
on one PC. Home PCs need to be simple to set up, easy to start, easy to
launch CD/R-based applications (e.g., games), and easy to connect,
configure and use peripherals (printers, modems, etc.). Linux isn't
close yet. Mac OS X and BeOS are good examples of unix-influenced single
user OS's.

The majority of the general computer user population is currently very
willing to sacrifice security and some reliability for convenience.
Microsoft caters to that.

From: Torsten Evers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3D w/ Matrox G400
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:16:38 +0200

Hi !

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:

> Guys,
>
> I'm trying to configure GLX and a Matrox G400 and am having some
> trouble.  The main area I'm seeing the trouble in is using BZflag in
> Linux.  Here's an e-mail I sent, but haven't made any progress with,
> yet.  If anyone has some help for me, please let me know!!  Thanks.
[...]
> I'm somewhat confident that other things are running alright.  I turn on
> hw_boxes and see that most of the time, I have the green box (which
> means I'm using h/w).  The first box is white, though, which means that
> the card is getting instructions from the X server, which can slow
> things down.  But, even so, I don't think it should be as slow as it
> is.  I've run the Mesa/demos executables that come with the source and
> things look good (especially the Mesa/demos/gloss demo, WOW).
>
> I'm using XFree86 3.3.6 with Mesa 3.2 and GLX 20000328.
I'm using the G400 with 3.3.6 and Mesa 3.2 too. No problems so far with
the Mesa-demos and other OpenGL stuff except for Moonlight and Unreal
Turnament (seems SDL is not using libGL.so). Did you install only the
libGL.so from glx or did you an install of Mesa too ? Then some programs
could use the Mesa-GL lib and therefore use software mode. Try a 'find
/usr -name libGL.so' and remove the ones not belonging to glx.

Bye,
Torsten

--
Torsten Evers                           Tel.: ++49-39322-9015
EBH-interdata GbR                       Fax : ++49-39322-9016

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen)
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 07:06:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer) wrote in <8o0b86$pl5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>: [...]
>
>:>Not... quite...
>:>You can remount a partition read-only and THEN perform fsck -c -y.
>:>(-y speeds things up when it gets to filesystem cleanup)
>
>: Not if it's the root partition - which may or may not be the case.
>
>You can do that as well. mount -rno remount /;
>
>Peter

Hi all,

I had a go at this this morning.

When I try that mount command, I get an error that / is busy.

If I try the e2fsck command it warns me that I could corrupt data running it on
currently mounted partitions, so I figured I better not :)

I tried booting from a (pair of) disks I made when I installed linux (slackware
7.0) and they can't read the hard drive partition to get the e2fsck program, so
I tried copying it to a floppy, but I can't mount /dev/fd0 - there is a line in
fstab about /dev/fd2 - but that comes up as being special (something, can't
remember ATM), and it won't fit on the boot (root) floppy.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen.
My Freeware: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/freeware.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 07:23:39 GMT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:54:50 GMT,
         Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>and they used to be in a fixed 14 char field which for shorter
>filenames was terminated early by \0.  furthermore, there has never
>been a reason for excluding / in the directory entries themselves
>except that nothing would work properly.  this is the same argument
>against \0.

Also, remember that the file name passed to the open system call is
terminated by \0.  This in itself makes it impossible to have a \0
character in the middle of a file path name; or if you could you would
not be able to open it, and that is not much fun.

Villy

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Is there a security hole in RH 6.2?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 24 Aug 2000 09:25:37 +0100

In article <Es2p5.29286$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I heard that there is a big security hole in RH 6.2. Has
>RH fixed it with their current release of 6.2 or does it
>require that the administrators patch it up themselves?
>
>How about RH 6.1 (which is the version I am currently running)?
>I didn't see any security advisory on the RH web page for 6.1
>but did see one in 6.2.
>
>Anyone like to add to this?

If you're not careful people will take you for a troll. There is never
a big security hole in a distribution, but there might be security
holes in programs included with the distribution, and there always are
and there always will be.

For security problems in Red Hat 6.2, see
<URL:http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/rh62-errata-security.html>
for updates on security holes in programs distributed with the
distribution.

You, as an administrator, is responsible for updating and maintaining
your own machines.

Stop trolling.

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RPMs for Apache..
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:35:26 GMT

help!!!
I'de like to know which RPMs must be installed for a correct
compilation/use of apache 1.3.12 on Redhat 6.2.(in addition to
egcs-1.1.1.2-30, cpp-1.1.2-30, make-3.78.1-4, perl..).
Thanks for your answers

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Richard Anderson)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 01:11:06 -0500
Subject: FREEWARE - Systems administration utilities

Korn shell scripts for text processing, file and directory processing,
customizing your login environment, disk space management, performance
analysis, system monitoring and system security.  It includes generalized
login environment files for the Korn shell, bash and the C shell.

Some of the functions of Typhon:

* Substitute one text string for another in all files in a directory tree,
  skipping non-text files. The substitution strings can be regular expressions
  or plain text.

* Display all subdirectories as a visual directory tree.

* Copy a file to multiple remote hosts, with disk backup of the target file on
  each host.

* List all subdirectories in one or more directories, including symbolic links
  to directories.

Part of Typhon is distributed as freeware, part as a commercial product.  You
can download the freeware or purchase the product at www.unixscripts.com.

Richard Anderson, Ph.D.
Chief Technology Officer, Raycosoft

------------------------------

From: jose luis fernandez diaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: crypt code
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:22:57 +0000

Hi,

Where can I get the code of de UNIX command crypt ?

Thanks in advance,
Jose Luis.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Roberson)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.misc
Subject: Re: Serial port /dev?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 08:34:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
China Black & Blue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:I'm trying to move bytes between Irix and Linux serial ports. I tried
:/dev/ttyd1 on Irix and /dev/ttyS0 on Linux. Do those looking vaguely
:correctly?

/dev/ttyd1 could be used on IRIX, but you would not usually want to.
/dev/ttyd1 is only used when you want software flow control -- not
recommended for serious byte transfer duties above 9600.

I suggest that you read through my "Introduction to Using And Programming
Serial Ports Under IRIX",

http://www.ibd.nrc.ca/~sgi/patches/using-serial.html

Rather than developing your own software, I suggest that you get
Kermit or zmodem for both ends.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 24 Aug 2000 09:10:51 GMT

In article <3q1p5.14319$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>This discussion about how XML might be used along with Linux to create a
new
>concept in Operating Systems is beginning.  We have the technology and the
>know how.  We just have to take our computer system, set it on its side and
>view it a bit differently.   This technology is going to completely change
>the rules of software configuration, management, and security, and you can
>make it happen.

XML is bullshit. Go Away.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:13:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Note that while that schedule tuning may not provide _optimal_ results
>> on other than the specific chip the tuning was done for, if there are
>> enough similarities between the cost functions that the tuning might
>> still improve performance across _all_ CPUs, at least compared to
>> "untuned" code.
>
>on the other hand, if the pentium classic is sufficiently different
>from all other ia32 arches in its speed optimizing scheduling, it may
>be a loss.  i think this is likelier.

But even so, it is likely to be of little consequence, if I understand this
right. One may wonder though, why mandrake chooses to stick with the i586
arch...?

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: XFree86 vs Windows
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:10:26 GMT

hi,
   I have a doubt about X development.
Even though  Linux has cool Window Managers , the level of gui
programming in Linux is severely limited as compared to windows  ( even
though Linux is much more stable). Also motion graphics quality is much
better in Windows.
   What is Linux lacking in terms of the X console???
Can anybody out there answer my question?

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crypt command
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:46:08 -0500

Try http://www.zedz.com

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Lord Apollyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:53:26 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Thomas Reed
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> '.' is also discouraged on the Mac as the first character of filenames,
> primarily (from what I understand) for historic reasons.  There may or
> may not still be reasons for this, but it's something to consider.

Drivers are named thusly.  The old Open() behaviour would try to Open a
driver named that name and if you were horribly unlucky to have a file
named after a ROM-based driver like, oh, say, .Sony, etc.... you'd
definitely get interesting results.

:)

Hence why the recommendation to use OpenDF() etc.  That call will never
use the DriverOpen() code.

=R=

--
The reply-to-address is *REAL* and will expire on 0:01 1-October-2000.
Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

------------------------------

From: David Grogan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: joe (the editor) scaling problems
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:03:35 -0400

Whereas I hope to not catch too much flack for this, my preferred linux
editor is joe.  On a certain machine that I only have ssh/telnet access
to, I cannot get it to scale past the default 80 rows x 25 columns.
When I compiled joe, I got termcap and terminfo conf files, but they are
difficult (read: impossible for me) to understand.  I know that joe can
scale past the default because I have done so on other machines.  Also,
I've looked at pico and it scales fine on this machine.  There are
command line options -rows and -columns that each take a parameter, but
these don't seem to help.  If anyone has had this problem in the past or
knows what a terminfo file is and how to edit/understand it, I'd GREATLY
appreciate it if you could enlighten me.  Thanks a lot.

David Grogan

------------------------------

From: Ian Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Should I build up an athlon box or buy an Imac DV?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:07:52 +0000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 3:20:40 +0000, Mary P wrote
(in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>):

> If I was thinking about an apple product I would wait until
> OS X comes out. (unless it already did while I was sleeping . . .)

The MacOS X public beta should be available before the end of September.

Cheers,

Ian
--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK
<http://www.canicula.com>

------------------------------

From: "Chris Severn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: XFree86 vs Windows
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:11:16 +0800

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8o2opq$vri$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hi,
>    I have a doubt about X development.

Are you considering doing your own development of an application which will
use X ?

> Even though  Linux has cool Window Managers , the level of gui
> programming in Linux is severely limited as compared to windows  ( even
> though Linux is much more stable).

What do you mean by this ?  There are many toolkits to allow you to do lots
of stuff with graphics in X.

> Also motion graphics quality is much
> better in Windows.

That's true for the implementations of video in X which I've seen (comparing
the playing of VCDs using xanim with using the Windows Media Player).  Is it
necessarily true of the linux/X platform, or is it just the applications
I've seen ?

>    What is Linux lacking in terms of the X console???
> Can anybody out there answer my question?

If I could understand your question, I'd try to answer it.

Chris Severn
--
Delete the 'x' to remove the spamblock.
Except spammers, for whom my email address is abuse@localhost