Linux-Misc Digest #543, Volume #27                Fri, 6 Apr 01 10:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("Eric")
  Re: programs mysteriously segfaulting and exiting (Marc Ledauphin)
  Cannot Shutdown anymore ("Michael")
  Re: Disk thrashing -- possible memory issue?  RH7. (Melvyn Walker)
  Problem with keyboard layout under Suse ("Jan Vandesompele")
  Re: text editor (Ralf Cirksena)
  Re: text editor (Ralf Cirksena)
  software raid1 + reiserfs + boot questions (Joeri Sebrechts)
  Re: Free Telnet Servers (Nick Drage)
  Logitech PageScan Color Parallel Scanner (Clive Dove)
  Re: Linux: fork()'ing in a Secondary Thread - Process Control In-General ("Sergey
Aranovsky")
  Re: The Python is so powerful, easy to use? compared with C++ (Joeri Sebrechts)
  Re: dump/restore problem? (Lee Allen)
  gilbc compilation error (Spyros Tsiolis)
  wvWare errors ("Nico v. Rossum")
  Re: Root cannot login ("Dennis")
  Re: linux-2.4.2 and modules... (Luca Zancan)
  Re: dump/restore problem? (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("Kenny@BUI")

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cdrom does not mount.
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:44:26 +0200

> in our /etc/fstab we have the following line.
> /dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom   iso9660     ro,noauto   0  0.
> when we type mount /dev/cdrom /mnt we get the error
> the kernel does not recognize dev/cdrom as a block device maybe 'insmod
> driver'?
>
> we tried changing the fstab to /dev/hdc but it will not work.
> however on boot it appears that hda is the cdrom. this used to work all
> along.

/home/user>cat /proc/ide/hda/model
Maxtor 90645D3
/home/user>cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:288

Try these on your system to see where the CDROM is attached.
Then see if the link /dev/cdrom still exists, and points to the correct
device

> why today it doesn't makes no sense.

Something must have happened.
Added hardware? You had a crash/powerfailure?
You used windows in between and have a bad partitiontable?

Eric

------------------------------

From: Marc Ledauphin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: programs mysteriously segfaulting and exiting
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 07:16:41 GMT

You can compile a 386 kernel on a 586 linux box too ! But you will need =

to recompile all the distribution !

Le 05/04/2001, =E0 21:41:51 h, "Norman C. Leet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
vous=20
a =E9crit sur le sujet suivant Re: programs mysteriously segfaulting and=
 exiting:

> Uh....did not realize that 586 was a default for the slackware linux
> distribution.  I was using bare.i and text.gz, version 3.3 in my effor=
ts
> to install the version 7.1 "A" series of floppy install disks.
> I have not reached the point of compiling anything at all.

> Maybe I need to poke around for an older slackware release.

> -Norm

> In comp.os.linux.questions Marc Ledauphin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>=
=20
wrote: >
> > That's working fine, but .... Are you sure that your release has bee=
> > compiled for 386 code ?
> > By default it's 586 coded

nd=20
exiting:

> >> I too have experienced multiple <segmentation fault> messages while=
 trying
> >> to install slackware on an ancient '386  (actually a '386 card in a=
=20
Z-248

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cannot Shutdown anymore
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:43:19 +0200

Hey,

Somehow .. very stupid ofcourse .. I overwrote the /usr/sbin directory.
Now I installed a lot of the programs again to make a new entry in /usr/sbin
I have however one problem. I cannot shutdown anymore from a telnet or ssh
session.
I reinstalled the RH rpm package sysVinit ... but no result!
Someone a sollution?

--
Michael
http://bovendelft.xs4all.nl

From: Melvyn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Disk thrashing -- possible memory issue?  RH7.
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 09:27:44 +0100

JNJ wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 7 over here and for some reason this drive is just
> thrashing.  I'm on an Athlon Thunderbird 800MHz CPU, originally had 320M RAM
> and I've bumped up to 512M.  I have Linux on physical drive 1 (Primary
> Slave) which is a 12G Western Digital HDD.  I originally set up a swap space
> of 128M however, thinking this may be memory related, turned off swap
> altogether.
>
> I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit new to Linux from the admin side of
> things -- any suggestions are much appreciated.
>
> James
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Somebody once asked me the similar question. If this only happens after starts
up
it is probably that updatedb is running (used for locate). This is kicked off
using anacron and can be
annoying. Personally I set it to run weekly, rather than daily.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Vandesompele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with keyboard layout under Suse
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:32:11 +0200

Hello,

I can't seem to set the correct keyboard map under Suse 7.1
I have a belgian keyboard, an intel 102 type.(azerty)
A have tried to set my keyboard under Sax2. I get the 'correct' keymap, but
I can't type an '@' for example. Normally I have to do 'alt gr' + 2. It's
the 2 above the 'z' key (not the numeric pad).
I have tried it with the panel that comes with gnome (GKB international
keyboard), but that didn't work either. Al characters that require a
combination with the 'alt gr' key don't work.
Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralf Cirksena)
Subject: Re: text editor
Date: 6 Apr 2001 09:08:56 GMT

Hi Grant,

On 2001-04-06 05:44 GMT, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But seriously -- someday you _will_ need to know how to use vi
> (or ed) to fix a password file or rc file on a system where the
> other editors are not installed or not working.  When that
> happens, I can guarantee that the man pages won't be working
> either, so it won't be a good time to try to learn...

I just had to fix a passwd file on an old *IX system. But the
emergency boot made no ed or vi available. I had to fix it with sed...

--
Ralf Cirksena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralf Cirksena)
Date: 6 Apr 2001 09:06:32 GMT

Hi Floyd,

On 2001-04-05 22:07 GMT, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes indeed.  It is absolutely necessary to use vi.  You have to
> configure Emacs, and vi is as good as anything to do that with.
> After that, viva la Emacs...  and throw vi away.

Oh yes. Emacs is a great tool for customizing your vi configuration.

From: Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: software raid1 + reiserfs + boot questions
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:26:42 GMT

Hello,

I got it running (hooray :-) ). I have several software raid1's on ide
containing everything except /tmp and swap. I'm running this with a
patched 2.2.18 on debian 2.2 / i386. All filesystems inside the
raidvolumes except /boot, which is ext2, are reiserfs.
I have a problem though. I don't know what the correct way to reboot is.
If I reboot as I used to do, with ctrl-alt-del, then all the way at the
end of the shutdown I get a bunch of messages from the raid volumes that
seem like errors, and when I restart afterwards, the reiserfs partitions
do a log replay (which can't be normal, right?).
If I go single-user, and unmount all filesystems (except / , which is
reiserfs on raid too, as I don't know how to unmount the root filesystem
while you're still running), then only / does a log replay.
So my guess is that I'm screwing up somewhere, but I have no idea what
could be wrong. I've checked in the shutdown scripts and the filesystems
are unmounted before the raid is stopped. Is the problem perhaps that
reiserfs doesn't unmount fast enough, and the raid volumes stop before
the partitions are completely unmounted ? Or is it because the reiserfs
partitions get remounted read-only, and reiserfs takes that as an
indication that something must be wrong and does a log replay to make
sure?
The strange thing is that /boot, which is ext2 on raid, DOESN'T give
errors (or fsck's for that matter) on reboot.

The bootup problems are the only strange thing, because otherwise it's
performing as it should.

Please reply to both newsgroup and sender,
thank you,
Joeri Sebrechts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Drage)
Subject: Re: Free Telnet Servers
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:01:03 GMT

http://www.freeshells.org IIRC

--
"Analogies generally suck."
David Taylor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clive Dove)
Subject: Logitech PageScan Color Parallel Scanner
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:54:33 GMT

I am running the Logitech PageScan Color Parallel Scanner under OS/2
using a driver written to run under Windows 3.1 for an earlier model.

I am attempting to convert to Linux and have installed mandrake 7.0 in a
multi-boot system (Win95, OS/2 and Linux).

The scanner is the only peripheral that has not been comverted.

Does anyone know of a Linux driver for this scanner?

------------------------------

From: "Sergey Aranovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.programming.threads,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: Linux: fork()'ing in a Secondary Thread - Process Control In-General
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:09:30 +0400

Hi,

First of all, your example runs properly on Linux 2.2.13 i586.
Here is the output:

-8<---
bash-2.03$ ./tt

Before new thread:

forking ...
Waiting on PID: 2052
chaining ...
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 2020 ?        00:00:00 bash
 2023 ?        00:00:00 xterm
 2024 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 2040 ?        00:00:00 bash
 2043 ?        00:00:00 xterm
 2044 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
 2051 pts/1    00:00:00 tt
 2052 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
status: 0

After thread start:

getting char:
pt:pt
forking ...
Waiting on PID: 2055
chaining ...
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 2020 ?        00:00:00 bash
 2023 ?        00:00:00 xterm
 2024 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 2040 ?        00:00:00 bash
 2043 ?        00:00:00 xterm
 2044 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
 2051 pts/1    00:00:00 tt
 2053 pts/1    00:00:00 tt
 2054 pts/1    00:00:00 tt
 2055 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
status: 0
pt:px

->8--

Second, the output you've sent is something strange:

> To add more detail, here are some narrated logs of the operation of this
> program:
>
>     /home/nknight/ISL-3.6/baseset/gcc>./proctest
>     ready
>
>     Before new thread:
>
>     forking ...
>     Waiting on PID: 31817
>     chaining ...
>       PID TTY          TIME CMD
>     17265 ?        00:00:02 smbd
>     26060 ?        00:00:00 xterm
>     26062 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
>     26314 ?        00:00:00 xterm
>     26316 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
>     31816 pts/0    00:00:00 proctest
>     31817 pts/0    00:00:00 ps
>     status: 0
>     pt:pt
>     forking ...

how you can get this 'forking' above before

>     After thread start:

if the code is exactly what you've posted?

[skipped]

>     getting char:
>     Waiting on PID: 31820
>
> ok ... at this point, my main thread (inside main()) is waiting for me to
> press any keyboard char.  The secondary thread has forked.  The parent
> process is now waiting for the forked process to terminate by calling
> waitpid().

Anyway, I'd suggest that you change 'ps -u nknight' tp 'ps -lu nknight' and
analyze the output or post it here (please do it anyway -- it's short,
your case seems to be interesting).

S.A.

------------------------------

From: Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Python is so powerful, easy to use? compared with C++
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 12:18:16 GMT

Bob Hauck wrote:
> ... has the right set of built-in
> types, comes with a very useful and high-level library and that it has
> a very clear syntax.  ...

If that's what makes python better than C, then that must be what makes
C++ better than C, because you can say those remarks for both python and
C++. Okay okay, I'll admit the clear syntax thing is dependant on the
person behind the keyboard.

> > C/C++ is so difficult to use?
> It is very easy to make fatal but hard-to-find mistakes in C.  It is
> not a very forgiving language.  Manual memory management is a huge
> source of bugs, as are unchecked pointers.  These things make C a great
> systems language but not a particularly good application language.  C++
> fixes many of the problems, but brings great complexity.  Neither is
> really well-suited to projects where the code is expected to evolve
> quickly.

I disagree. I've co-written a large project in C++, and although at
first I believed it to be unbelievably complex (coming from a Delphi
environment), later on I understood that everything is in there for a
reason. Nobody forces you to use ALL of C++ in one program.
If Python is like a grocery store, quick to reach, and with good
service, then C++ is like a supermarket, at first you're lost, but once
you find your way around and learn what the shortcuts are, it is
incredibly more powerful than a grocery store can ever be. And it also
offers more products :-)

Ofcourse, knowing my luck I'm talking to a C++ veteran. But it's
honestly my opinion. C++, when used correctly, is not complex at all.
Unless you bring GUI's into the picture ;-) Although I must admit that I
still like Delphi better than C++.

have a nice day,
Joeri Sebrechts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: dump/restore problem?
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 12:29:54 GMT

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:32:34 -0700, "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a scsi tape drive running on a RH7 system.  I've performed the
>following experiment:
>
># mt -f -dev/st0 rewind
># dump -0a -f /dev/nst0 /etc
># dump -0a -f /dev/nst0 /home
>
>when I do a:
>
># restore -if /dev/st0
>restore > ls
>
>I get:
>
>.:
>home/
>
>Can anyone tell me what happened to /etc??
>(notice the dump of /home was made via nst0 which means he would/should have
>appended the /home dump to the previous /etc dump)

I agree with you: it should have worked.  A couple things...

1. I assume you rewound the tape between the "dump ... /home" and the
"restore" command?  The "dump ... /home" used the nonrewinding device,
which would have left the tape positioned at the end of that backup.
The "restore" would have started there.  Because using the rewinding
devicename causes it to rewind AFTER the operation, not before.

2. check your /dev nodes
#dir -l /dev/st0 /dev/nst0
should show:
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       9, 128 May  5  1998 /dev/nst0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       9,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/st0

3. a test you could perform: after each of the dump commands, do:
#mt -f /dev/nst0 tell
this will tell you what block number the tape is at.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:35:25 +0100
From: Spyros Tsiolis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gilbc compilation error

Hello again people,

I would really appreciate if someone has
an opninion on this :

I installed Mandrake 7.2 on a thinkpad notebook.
Usuall story the thinkpad is a T21, needed a
module patch for its miniPCI network adapter.
That worked fine.

Then off to upgrading X from 4.0 to 4.0.3
(since previous versions don't know about
S3 SavageIX).
And here is the problem :
I 've upgraded all gcc related packages in order
for Glibc (which is needed by XF4.0.3) to be
compiled and installed :

Tried : "rpm --rebuild glibc-2.2.2-blah-i586.rpm"
It goes through the compilation process and then
it comes up with the following error :
../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_modf.c:31: conversion to non-scalar type
requested

../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_modf.c:31: confused by earlier errors,
bailing out

spyros

------------------------------

From: "Nico v. Rossum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wvWare errors
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:34:15 +0200

Hi
When I run wvHtml on a office2000 document I allways get this errors
 wvError: (./text.c:324) iconv_open fail: 22, cannot convert CP1252 to
unicode
 wvError: (./text.c:388) iconv_open fail: 22, cannot convert UCS-2 to
iso-8859-15

Can someone help me out here
Tanks in advance

Nico v. Rossum

------------------------------

From: "Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Root cannot login
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:23:27 +0400

Hi everyone

We are considering re-formating and install from scratch
I even try to unsuccessfully tocreate a symbolic link to /bin/login to
/usr/bin/tklogin

The inittab seems intact

Any more ideas
Thanks

Dennis

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Luca Zancan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux-2.4.2 and modules...
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:27:04 +0200

Ulrich,

I've installed the new modutils-2.4.2 (and all the other packages indicated in
the "Changes" document for the 2.4.2 kernel), but when I run "mkinitrd"
(version 3.0.5, and not the 2.9.1 one suggested by "Changes" since I do not
manage to find this version...) it tells me something like:

"-d option is not for linux"

and it still does not create any initrd image under /boot...

What should I do? (beside giving up :-))) )

Thank you,
luca

Ulrich Brachvogel wrote:

> Luca Zancan wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I've got a RedHat 6.2 (kernel version 2.2.14-5.0) and I've tried to
> > install a 2.4.2 kernel (downloaded in its "tar.gz" form directly from
> > ftp.kernel.org - I would like to try this, instead of the rpm package of
> > RedHat...).
> >
> > I've got some problems in creating a RAM disk with mkinitrd...
> > I must do it because my system boots from a SCSI disk controlled by an
> > Adaptec2940UW adapter (I've got 2 SCSI disk and A SCSI cd-rom on the
> > same controller).
> >
> > mkinitrd tells me that it can't find the "aic7xxx" module (in make
> > menuconfig I've selected "loadable module support" and all the stuff
> > needed, including the driver for the Adaptec as a module).
> > I've noted that the modules stuff is now in
> > "/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/" (while before was in
> > "/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/")...
> >.................... snip
> Since kernel version 2.4.x as you've seen already the structure of
> modules.conf has changed. You have to install modutils-2.4.x which
> can be downloaded from freshmeat, for instance,(=modutils-2.4.1.tar.gz).
> The new modutils are downwards compatible to kernel v2.2.x.
> > ....................snip
> TTFN Ulrich
> -
> <O
>    \\__///
>      /\  Save the curlew!

Luca Zancan
Logica S.r.l.
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
URL http://www.logicaonline.com

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 6 Apr 2001 13:33:45 GMT

ekkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a scsi tape drive running on a RH7 system.  I've performed the
> following experiment:

> # mt -f -dev/st0 rewind
> # dump -0a -f /dev/nst0 /etc
> # dump -0a -f /dev/nst0 /home

> when I do a:

> # restore -if /dev/st0
> restore > ls

> I get:

> .:
> home/

> Can anyone tell me what happened to /etc??
> (notice the dump of /home was made via nst0 which means he would/should have
> appended the /home dump to the previous /etc dump)

It all depends on where you were on the tape when you started the restore.
restore can only read one "file" at a time, and those backups are in
different "files."  So:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
restore -if /dev/nst0

will get you /etc, while