From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: Bash: a simple question
Date: 27 Aug 2000 01:11:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In tcsh, if I type
>echo hello"\012"there
>I get
>hello
>there
>
>In bash, if I do the same, I get
>hello\012there
>
>I may have misunderstood the bash man page, but I thought it should do the
>same as in the tcsh.
>
>So, in bash, how do I get the same result? I tried using \n but that didn't
>work either.

In bash, you need the -e option to echo for it to process \-escapes,
like: echo -e 'hello\012there'

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Visio for linux
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:19:57 -0500

I looked for a Visio-like application for Linux about six months ago and
it seems like there was something in release or about to be released, but
I don't know if it was file compatable with Windoze Visio.  I got
sidetracked and never chased it down.  If you find something, post it here.

Ed

From: vlado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: scsi bus resets with aic7xxx
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:17:54 +0100

I've run up on a "cute" problem with receiving scsi bus resets under
heavy load.
Please help me or give me a hint at least how to solve the followng
cutie :(

Actually the error is :
============
Aug 22 13:25:30 perun kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 269474, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 01 0e 1a 98 00
00 80 00
Aug 22 13:25:30 perun kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 269475, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 01 0e 1b 18 00
00 80 00
Aug 22 13:25:30 perun kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 269476, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 01 0e 1b 98 00
00 80 00
Aug 22 13:25:31 perun kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 269475) timed out -

resetting
Aug 22 13:25:31 perun kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel

0.
Aug 22 13:25:34 perun kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 40.0
Mbyte/sec, offset 16.
============ from   /var/log/messages

It is definitely not a problem with a specific kernel as I the error
persists on kernels 2.2.14-16 with several different aic7xxx patches.
It's not a distro error either both RH and Debian were tested, if anyone

starts doubting about this.

the error is received during the following test script:

-- test script --------
#!/bin/bash
/opt/home/tiobench-0.3.1/tiobench.pl --dir /group --block 2048 --block
204800 --threads 1  --threads 100  --threads 200 --size 1500
2>spectrum.err | tee spectrum.log
==========

the exact location is on the 204800B block size with 1 thread run.

Ok. I understand that ithis is overkill, but  I need a robust system -
so  this is part of the testing process.

Since I don't have the sufficient knowledge and information to start
tampering with the  scsi codes/erorrs and I don't have a similar
hardware to run equivalent tests on it I can't identify the source of
the error :

    - kernel/aic7xxx driver bug ?
    - hardware (scsi controller) error ?
    - cabling error sources are eliminated by several ( 5 ) tests with
different cables, overall bus length is under 2m.
    - the "HD" error /buggy firmware chance is quite low - this is a
second box of this type I'm testing (with different firmware vers.
though )

Hardware details
============
Motherboard - ASUS P2B-DS SCPI Rev1012
                           Award bios v4.51p6
                          with onboard Adaptec 7890 bios v.2.11

"HD"    - ZERO-D  400 IDE-RAID  system, firmware v.2.2W

Thanks,
Vlado

------------------------------

From: "Alien Spawn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.ibm-pc,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Basic Linux Survey
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:39:45 +1000

Howdy. I'm doing a preliminary report addressing Linux v Windoze for small
business. Now I have a very basic 10 question survey thats not intended to
gather or cover all aspects of the penguin v the goose......so if you have a
spare few minutes you can have a look at it at:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/farmland/survey/index.htm

and no, its not an email or IP address bot or anything sinister !!

"He would be out of his depth in a carpark puddle."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.webpoint_design.web.com
Do extraterrestrials exist ?  Look in a mirror ;)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Terminal prog for linux
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:43:43 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 00:01:34 +0000, Slip Gun
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>someone give me the name of a good 'terminal' program for linux?

minicom, seyon, kermit, one or more of which is probably on your
system.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:58:55 -0700

paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:mZTp5.18778$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Today we have Java VMs and Adobe Acrobat viewers, and browsers, and
browser
> plug-ins, word processing packages, and stock tickers, Internet based
games,
> etc. Never mind that we are going to be configuring systems to connect
with
> other systems, and use databases, and database clients, and we need to set
> up security, and down load the new versions of our clients, etc.
>
> It isn't going to be simple in the future.  It is going to get worse.  In
> another post I list a set of requirements we are going to need from a
> package manager.  Not want, need.  Typewriters are out for good.  And
> Redmond may be at fault to some degree, but if so they only pushed us
ahead
> in time a bit.  It was going to happen to us anyway.
>
> We have to have package managers, but they need to be based on open
> standards.

Are you saying that the Linux package managers are not open?

> And they need to operate in an environment outside the execution
> environment of the supported computer systems.  They need to be able to
> manage cross platform, distributed applications.
Just what do you mean by that?  It sound like a lot of empty talk devoid of
real meaning.

> Why?  Because we are on
> the Internet already!

What does that have to do with software installation procedures?

>  We want to bank, we want to order hamburgers on the
> Interstate Hwy so I don't wait for my order!  I want to use my PDA to
adjust
> my lights in my hotel (cause I don't know where the switches are, but I
have
> my PDA), I want to listen to my MP3 files on the rental car's stereo, from
> the station I programmed on the Internet.

Speak of your desires and do not attribute them to others.  Still I ask,
what does that have to do with software installation procedures?

By the way, do you know what it means to program a station?  I don't think
you do, or else you would not have used, "the station I programmed on the
Internet", since it does not belong in this discussion.

> We can't do all of this by coping all our files onto our bin directory.

I never mentioned anythng about copying anything into bin.  I never even
mentioned bin.  Further, I would never suggest putting ALL our files into
bin let alone onto bin.  The installation method has nothing to do with what
the software can do once it is installed.

You are begining to sound like a person how has come up with a half baked
idea to solve a problem that does not exist and is now trying to convince
others that they have a problem so that your can sell them your solution for
it.  Yes sir you have trouble right here in River City!

> Sorry.

Yes you are.  :-)

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:05:33 -0700

Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> You've got it exactly backwards.  Raw storage is just numbered blocks
> on the disk.  Filesystems are an abstraction created by the OS.  There
> is no "structured storage" without the OS.  Without the OS, the highest
> leve of abstraction is about at the level of instructing the SCSI
> controller to fetch block 123456 from device 0 on buss 0.  Managing
> storage is one of the most important tasks of the OS, why re-create it
> inside your installation tool?  What does that have to do with making
> installation and system management easier?

For some devices the data is stored as numbered fixed length blocks.  For
other devices it is not even that structured, just a continuious stream of
bytes or bits.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:41:38 -0700

paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:fNTp5.18776$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> What is the deal here?  I write a post or two that claims that we can
manage
> computer systems directly, on their storage, outside the abstractions of
the
> Operating Systems and their Services.  I claim that these abstractions and
> services simply clutter up the configuration management tasks and get in
the
> way, cause problems, and waste our time.

Without the abstrations the the OSs impose on DASDs (Since that is the type
of storage devices that seem to concern you), your would have to be deal
with fixed size records where one record is one sector.  You would have to
determine into which sectors to place you data.  You would then have to
refer the the files by the address of the first sector and the number of
sectors you have set aside for it.  If the file out grows that space you
have allocated for it, you would have to allocate an additional extent for
it then your programs would have to be informed and account of the multiple
extents when processing the file.  Is that what you are really proposing?
That is what your wording would call for.

> Get over XML already!  There is no magic, it is just a means of defining
> structured data, and translations of structured data from one form to
> another!  Tagged file formats have been around since the late 60's! No
> magic!

Thank you for supporting my position.

> Would it make you happier if we quit talking about XML and said we would
> hold the configuration information in TIFF files instead?  Those are
tagged
> files too, and they handle binary!  Who even cares, already!

You seem to care, for some strange reason.

> You want to claim that the storage in a computer system is so complex, and
> applications are so mysterious that it can't be defined using a simple
> format for structured data.

There you go again!  While all programs can be stored on disk as data, not
all data are programs.  You seems to be suggesting again that you idea of
structured data can some how replace programs.  And that the programs should
be platform independent at the executable level.  I do hope you are
experience enough to see the fault in that logic and so why that can not be.

> It isn't magic, it is just simple structured
> data.

Oxymoron.

>You want to claim we can't have cross platform installation
> facilities because of what?  The complexity?

I have made no such claims.

> Well I have news for you.  If you are a developer, you are a sad one,
> because you should know and understand that there isn't much complexity at
> the storage level.  Files, Directories, and some attributes.

Do you realize ehat "the storage level" means?  That is at the hardware
level.  At the hardware level that are no files, directories, or attributes;
there are only way of encoding bits or bytes which are (in the case of
DASD's) offered to the system in the form of fixed length blocks named
sectors.

>  That's it.
> Very simple, Very structured.

Oxymoron!

> The only problem I can see is the possiblity
> that Operating Systems are magic, but I don't believe in magic.

Pardon?

> XML isn't magic, it is just good at describing structured data.

Again, thank you for supporting my position.

> And storage is just structured data, nothing more, no magic.

See above.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:35:03 -0700

paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:%pTp5.18774$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Oh, so all those hours I spent installing stuff on Solaris was really
> Windows?

Does Solaris use Microsoft Windows terminology that you have used in this
thread?  If any of us have made a error as the the platforms you are used to
using, it is as a result of the terminology that you have selected to use to
present your ideas.

> The point is that we need to get over the idea that installing is part of
> the abstractions that the OS provides.  That mindset prevents us from
> developing technologies (such as those I am describing here) that can
> install across platforms.

Technologies that already exist, assuming that the latest permutation of
your position is what you are really proposing.

The are many things that don't map well or at all from one OS to another.
How would you handle those details?

Consider file and directory attributes and permission settings.  They don't
map from one OS to another very well.  The installation process needs to be
OS specific in this and in many other areas.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Aug 2000 16:57:15 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kimber) wrote:
>In tcsh, if I type
>echo hello"\012"there
>I get
>hello
>there
>
>In bash, if I do the same, I get
>hello\012there
>
>I may have misunderstood the bash man page, but I thought it should do the
>same as in the tcsh.
>
>So, in bash, how do I get the same result? I tried using \n but that didn't
>work either.

Use the -e option to echo, to enable escape sequence interpretation.

   echo -e hello"\012"there

In the bash man page, you want to look in the section titled
SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS for a description of echo and its
options.  You can find that easily while using the man command
by doing a search.  At the prompt, type in /echo and hit return.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 02:05:29 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:00:28 GMT, Prasanth A. Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The latest version of Kermit has a license which permits using and
>redistribution of the software with open source operating systems. But
>I guess in the mind of some, this is still not an acceptable license.

Red Hat's Powertools (which is on the ftp sites) has C-Kermit.  Powertools
seems to be a grab bag of open source stuff that didn't make it into the
distro and "free beer" stuff that can't be distributed on CD.

Red Hat's pinstripe beta has gkermit, but this version does not make
connections!:

  G-Kermit is a UNIX program for transferring files using the Kermit
  protocol. Kermit is a file transfer protocol for transferring text and
  binary files without errors between diverse types of computers and over
  potentially hostile communication links.

  G-Kermit features include: support for text and binary file transfer on
  both 7-bit and 8-bit connections; files can be transferred singly or in
  groups; automatic startup configuration via the GKERMIT environment
  variable; and configurability as an external protocol.

  Kermit protocol features include: automatic peer recognition, streaming on
  reliable connections; selectable packet length from 40 to 9000 bytes (4000
  is the default); single shifts for 8-bit data on 7-bit connections;
  control-character prefixing for control-character transparency;
  control-character unprefixing for increased speed (incoming only);
  compression of repeated bytes; and per-file and batch cancellation.

  G-Kermit does not support the following features: making connections:
  character-set translation; interactive commands and scripting; and file
  date-time stamps.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: zero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory Error?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 02:29:18 GMT

Whenever I start Linux, after choosing it over Windows when I boot up (I
run both OS's on the same hard drive), it, in time, gives me an error
message saying something about the RAM or such, and stating that
it's "dazed and confused, but trying to continue" (or something).  What's
up with that?  Also, how do you fix the "Kernel panic" error?  All advice
is welcome!

From: alex k <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fs for both linux and freebsd?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 02:29:29 GMT

 aloha!

 i have a partition that i want to be able to mount
(r/w +reliably) both under linux/2.2.16 and freebsd/4.1release.
 its all on the same computer and the same IDE disk.
 which filesystem-type should i choose?

 the puter is a so-called leafnode used by only me
 (almost no longer newbie).
 that partition will just be mounted occasionally, to store
 some user- and configfiles, and to (reliably) move data between
 freebsd and linux.

 current config:
 hda1: fat32, 5gig
 hda2: ext2fs, 3gig  (/ +swap)
 hda3: ufs, 3gig  (/ +swap)
 hda4: ?, 1gig

 ufs isnt reliably written to under linux (i got some errors,
 not good...).
 i heard ext2fs has new features that freebsd dont
 recognize, is that true? (slack7.1 made my ext2fs)
 fat32 doesnt preserve fileattributes...

 nfs? setting up servers and clients and such, isnt
 that too much hassle for my usage?

 is there some ideal answer?

   thanks for any ideas / alex k

--
.
.

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X running? from a bash script
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 21:53:49 -0500

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Zia Khan quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:14:11 -0400
~~ From: Zia Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: X running? from a bash script
~~
~~ Is there an easy way to see if X is running from a bash script?

#!/bin/sh

X=`ps -e | awk '{ if ($4 ~ /^X$/) \
                { print $4 } }' | wc -l`

if [ $X -gt 0 ]
then
    echo X is running!
else
    echo Sorry, no X!
fi

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~