Linux-Misc Digest #635, Volume #25               Thu, 31 Aug 00 19:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Two versions of the same package hanging up my system ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux spontaneously changes time (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Disk clone redux (Duane)
  Re: No kppp in Mandrake7.1?? (Richard Kimber)
  Re: Margins don't work in AbiWord ("David ..")
  Re: Update Agent ("David ..")
  dump win98 partition ("Volker Kalms")
  Re: How to get directory size and free disk space under RH with Gnome? ("David ..")
  #@$%@#$% Linux modules...... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: scsi bus resets with aic7xxx (David C.)
  Re: tar Files ("Henry")
  Re: loading the Megaraid.o module (K. C. Adams)
  Re: tar Files ("Dave T")
  Mkisofs: How to create an empty ISO9660 image (Otto Wyss)
  Red Hat rescue and init level (Amir Sadri)
  Re: tar Files ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: access database on Linux (Robert Krawitz)
  Re: Mkisofs: How to create an empty ISO9660 image ("John E. Garrott Sr")
  Re: dump win98 partition (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: tar Files (Garry Knight)
  Re: Netscape Sucks, I need another option. (D G)
  linux midi card (Steven Thurgood)
  Re: TCP/IP networking and PPPD???? (Glitch)
  file access lists on linux (Christopher Hahn)
  Re: file access lists on linux (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Netscape is the best web brower for Linux? Where is the alternative? (William W.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Two versions of the same package hanging up my system
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:01:56 GMT

hi.
I have the folloing problem and was wondering if anyone had an idea how
to help me.
I accidentally (don't know how anymore) installed two versions of
MandrakeUpdate on my machine. Now anything that has to do with rpm on
that machine leads to a complete lockup. All I can see is the swap
memory being eaten up little by little and eventually everything
freezes.
What I want to do is get rid of one or both copiues and then reinstall
only one of them. But I can't. Kpackage shows them both versions but
when I try to uninstall them tells me that the name points to multiple
packages and stops there. RPM from the command line hangs up the system
in a way described before. So, can I get rid of MandrakeUpdate manually
somehow or in any other way?
Thanks for the help

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux spontaneously changes time
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:20:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong) writes:

[...]

>It is one thing for a program or two to be confused about time zones,
>but quite another for the OS system time to get reset by that
>program.

[...]

Point taken. It _could_ be, however, that this is automatically
done by some sort of administrative watchdog. For example, SuSE
uses a file to store the default permissions and general system
settings in, and it defaults to restoring everything to these
settings, unless you change some values in the system-wide
configuration file. This is well-documented in the SuSE manual,
(and can be simply switched off) but then, who reads manuals
these days ;-)

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disk clone redux
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:40:26 -0700

MH wrote:

> Following the advice given in a response to someone else's question
> about cloning a system disk, I was delighted to find that a simple cp
> /dev/sda /dev/sdb command creates a perfect, bootable backup system
> drive (assuming the drives are physically identical). Very cool.  Just
> enter the above command in cron and run it daily and you have the best
> backup solution there is unless you need off-site storage, IMO.  It's
> faster, more reliable, and cheaper than tape, not to mention a helluva
> lot easier if you need to restore your system rather than simply
> restoring data.

What I did was to clone the disk using cp, make sure it boots, then pull
it out of the machine and store it off site. This backs up all my system
stuff and applications, and protects me from fire, theft, lightning,
etc.  At disk prices these days, a very inexpensive, reliable, and fast
recovery. Sorry but I have had nothing but problems with tapes (okay,
maybe they work occasionally). If I make any significant system changes
or install new software packages, I bring in the disk and make another
copy.

Then I installed another disk and do nightly backups on that (like you),
mainly of the user files. And every week or so, archives of the user
files to CDROM, which again I store off site. If you have valuable
files, that off site storage is very important.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kimber)
Subject: Re: No kppp in Mandrake7.1??
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:22:52 GMT

On 30 Aug 2000 14:10:29 GMT, Andrew Purugganan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I selected 'server' when installing Mandrake 7.1, and I wind up with a
>stripped down version of the KDE desktop (Lord knows what else), and I
>can't find kppp. What's worse, I can't find kppp's rpm in ANY of the CDs!
>Can anybody help me out, did I miss something?

Mandrake makes some pretty arbitrary decisions about what apps are 'normal',
'development' and 'server'.  There are some files on the CD in /Mandrake/base
that show what goes with what (have a look at compssList).  Each app has a kind
of percentage rating according to how crucial it is for each category.

- Richard.

--
Richard Kimber
( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Margins don't work in AbiWord
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:12:41 -0500

"Andrew J. Perrin" wrote:

> Has anyone seen this behavior? Using AbiWord 0.7 under Linux (debian
> 2.2), text doesn't obey margins, it just keeps going off to the right
> until a hard return.  Same behavior whether typed in or importing Word
> docs. Same verson of AbiWord for Windows works fine :(((.

I have AbiWord 0.7.10 and don't have that problem.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Update Agent
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:19:27 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To register for the update agent you need to register a product.  I
> downloaded my .iso image and I don't have a product id?  Do I really
> need one, or how do I go about getting one?

If you want to pay for it you can go to redhat's website to register.

From: "Volker Kalms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dump win98 partition
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:17:53 +0200

Hi all,

since I have linux 6.2 and also win98 on my PC I would like to use linux
to do a full backup of the win98  partition.
How is it possible to do this and how can I restore the backup after
win98 is totaly messed up and the computer cries for a new installation ???

Since I am not working with linux for a long time it would be greate if
anyone
could give me a hint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Volker

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get directory size and free disk space under RH with Gnome?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:19:56 -0500

Akbar ERKINIVICH Avliyaev wrote:

> Title says all

 df -h

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: #@$%@#$% Linux modules......
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:29:19 GMT

hi all, I hope somebody will help me with this.

The problem is that I'm building a custom kernel with modules enabled
and everything work fine.  Except one tiny little thing: I have a
ServeRaid controller correctly configured with 2x18GB U2W Drives mounted
in a mirror. I updated the ips driver(which is statically compiled-in,
not as a module) from IBM and recompiled = no problems.  But when I
reboot, I still get a !#$!$% "Loading ips module".... with 20 lines
telling me I have unresolved symbols.  This happens right after "VFS:
Mounted root".  So I was wondering where the $%^%##@^ is this
configured.

Any clue??

TIA

Francis

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: scsi bus resets with aic7xxx
Date: 31 Aug 2000 16:51:34 -0400

vlado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The chances are more towards a bug/undocumented feature of the
> AHA2940UW controller and/or a related aic7xxx driver behaviour.
>
> Anyway, things and solutions of the sort of no_resets does not cure
> the problem of the occuring bus timeouts.

Strange.

I'm also using a 2940UW (with an IBM 9G UW drive - model DGHS09U).  Once
I got the cables short enough, my problems went away.  I'm using the
drive's on-board termination.  My OS is RedHat 6.2, with the 2.2.16-3
kernel upgrade installed.  It's installed in a Micron Millennaia Pro2
(Micronics W6Li "Lightning" motherboard (Rev A), dual Pentium Pros at
200MHz, 64M RAM - if any of this helps.)

Using your SCSISelect utility, make sure the card's termination is set
up to terminate both the high and low parts of the bus.  Don't use
auto-termination - it sometimes guesses wrong.

Make sure all the other SCSISelect parameters look OK.  Make sure the
card resets the SCSI bus at boot time.  (This setting sometimes turns
itself off for no apparent reason on my system.  I don't know why.)
Check that the other settings make sense.

Check your SCSI BIOS revision against the latest rev at Adaptec's site.
If you don't have the current release, try upgrading it.  After doing
so, double-check all SCSISelect parameters, in case the upgrade changed
something.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar Files
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:52:12 +0200

There´s no dump questions, only dump answers.

/Henry

------------------------------

From: K. C. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: loading the Megaraid.o module
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:56:03 GMT

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.misc and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

I haven't tried anything to be honest.  I've just tried re-running the
install half a dozen ways.

It detects the scsi CD-Rom then I get the following...

***
Autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun...
... autorun DONE.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:05
***

I've been lucky that most of my Linux work over the past few years hasnt
been on SCSI machines so this is new to me all over again.  Using the
GRUB bootloader it thats of any help also.

-k-

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: "Dave T" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:54:05 +0100

if the tar file was test1.tar then

tar -xf test1.tar

This will decompress the file and create all sub-directories.

--

|---------------------------------------------------|
| Anti-Spam - Please reply to address below          |

news:39aea107$0$99045$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otto Wyss)
Subject: Mkisofs: How to create an empty ISO9660 image
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:21:19 +0200

I've gone twice through mkisofs its help but still haven't checked how
to create an empty 650MB ISO image possibly with Joliet and RockRidge
extensions. I'd like to mount this image through the loop device.

O. Wyss

------------------------------

From: Amir Sadri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat rescue and init level
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:11:36 GMT

Hello all,

In an attempt to rescue my corrupted Red Hat Linux installation I typed
rescue at the boot prompt and inserted the rescue disk when I was asked
to. The system continued to boot and root file system was mounted in
read-only mode but it halted with a message like: "Kernel panic: can't
find the init level in the kernel. Please use init= .....".

I tried typing "rescue init=3" at the boot prompt but it didn't help.
the same story.

Does anybody know how to pass the init level to the rescue process?

Any ideas/comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Amir Sadri.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Aug 2000 21:25:39 GMT

:> "Rob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> > How do I expand a tar file?  Where can I find out how to use tar files?
:> It's very important to not ask dump questions in a newsgroup. Not only is

:> The answer is out there.
: There's no dump questions, only dump answers.

This was clearly a dump question. How can you doubt it? Man dump.

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: access database on Linux
Date: 31 Aug 2000 17:45:23 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when [EMAIL PROTECTED] would say:
> >I have an access database. Can I place it on a Linux server? If not, is
> >there anyway I can place the data on an alternative database and make it
> >searchable?
>
> Is the plan to have the Linux server provide file services via SAMBA?
>
> That sounds pretty feasible; Access uses file sharing, and shouldn't
> much care where the files are.

I actually have an Access database (a .mdb file) that I would like to
be able to read directly from Linux.  Currently I'm able to get Access
(4.3) running well enough under wine to handle the data, but it croaks
when I try to export it.  The data (and an accompanying Excel
spreadsheet) is of sentimental value more than anything else (it's the
planning stuff from our wedding), so the important thing is having the
data, not the form that it's in to any great extent.
--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

------------------------------

From: "John E. Garrott Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mkisofs: How to create an empty ISO9660 image
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:28:25 -0700

Otto Wyss wrote:

> I've gone twice through mkisofs its help but still haven't checked how
> to create an empty 650MB ISO image possibly with Joliet and RockRidge
> extensions. I'd like to mount this image through the loop device.
>
> O. Wyss

>From the CD-Writing-HOWTO,

        mkisofs -r -o cd_image private_collection

where cd_image will be your iso9660 file and
private_collection is the directory you are
copying.

Then to see it,
mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 cd_image /cdrom

where cd_image is the file above, and /cdrom is
your mounting directory.  Of course you may supply
another empty directory in place of /cdrom.

Sometimes it takes an example to make it all clear.

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

Subject: Re: dump win98 partition
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:58:16 GMT

"Volker Kalms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> since I have linux 6.2 and also win98 on my PC I would like to use linux
> to do a full backup of the win98  partition.
> How is it possible to do this and how can I restore the backup after
> win98 is totaly messed up and the computer cries for a new installation ???

Suppose your Win98 partition is /dev/hda1. Then

cat /dev/hda1 > win98.image

will make an image backup.

cat win98.image > /dev/hda1

will restore it.

If you want to compress it then

cat /dev/hda1 | gzip > win98.image.gz
zcat win98.image.gz > /dev/hda1

are the commands. These commands work below the filesystem
level in this case. They don't care about files, directories,
how much empty space you have, etc. It just copies the partition
block by block.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:25:22 +0100

Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How do I expand a tar file?

Depends on whether it was compressed or not. Look at any extension on the
filename and use one of the following:
 tar xvf filename.tar
tar xzfv filename.tgz
tar xzfv filename.tar.gz

>Where can I find out how to use tar files?

Fire up a terminal and enter:
  man tar

--
Garry Knight

From: D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape Sucks, I need another option.
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:22:43 -0700

Christopher Wong wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan wrote:
> >Christopher Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> When Mozilla advocates say Mozilla is fast, they generally mean the
> >> rendering speed. The UI, of course, is slow as a banana slug. Yechh.
> >
> >This just tells me you have never seen an angry banana slug charging
> >at you in excess of 100mph. ;)
>
> There is no such thing as a banana slug.

Tell that to UC Santa Cruz.

(hint: what's their mascot?)
--
DG
e-mail is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven Thurgood)
Subject: linux midi card
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:23:15 +0100

 I am after a fairly decent midi card for quasi pro usage. However, as I
don't use windows much, and It's a pain switching back an forth I'd like
on that works under linux. I also want one that can do decent digital
recording, preferably also with digital in/outs..

I was looking at 3 options.

yamaha sw1000xg
ot
creative labs sb live platinum w/ db50 or sw60xg boards.

am I right in thinking that the sw1000xg is not supported (or at least
support is unknown) in the alsa drivers?

BTW are the alsa drivers a complete replacement for the oss ones? Or do I
still need those too...

The sblive seems well supported but I've heard that midi is not too hot.
And that you don't need any drivers for a midi daughterboard like the
db50 to work.. is this correct. How about the sw60? As technicaly I don't
think it's a db, but afaik it doesn't use any irq's or anything, and just
does midi..so will it behave similarly to a db or what?

And, most importantly what are the sounds like from these?

Is anyone using any of these combos under linux? Or even better, has used
2 or more of them, and can recommend one.
I like the sblive panel thing so I can plug all my stuff into the front
without having to mess about around the back, unplugging/pluggin in my
guitar etc..

And sort of unrealted but anyhow..

I was looking at the arts project and it looks really cool. Like the sort
of thing you can play with for hours. Question is, how would I play with
it? Does it set itself up as a sort of 'virtual midi device' in /dev, so
I can use it with any sequencer? Or do I have to use some controler
program, and record the result as a .wav type file, to use as an audio
track in whatever sequencer/music thingy I use?

Many thanks.

-Steve

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:56:54 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TCP/IP networking and PPPD????

so what errors occurred so far? that would give us an idea of what may
be wrong.

------------------------------

From: Christopher Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: file access lists on linux
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:53:40 -0700

Hello,

I am looking for a Linux equivalent for the Solaris File Access List
utilities "setfacl" and "getfacl"

Basically, I am looking for a way to allow a simple user to run a
bash script as root, and apparently the setuid switch works
on binaries but not scripts. (Trust me, I tried it).

TIA for any ideas,

Christopher

------------------------------

Subject: Re: file access lists on linux
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:04:36 GMT

Christopher Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am looking for a Linux equivalent for the Solaris File Access List
> utilities "setfacl" and "getfacl"
>
> Basically, I am looking for a way to allow a simple user to run a
> bash script as root, and apparently the setuid switch works
> on binaries but not scripts. (Trust me, I tried it).

Yes, suid is ignored on scripts. While I don't know if Linux
supports acl, you can take a look at the sudo program.

http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/index.html

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William W.)
Subject: Re: Netscape is the best web brower for Linux? Where is the alternative?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:09:43 GMT

In our last episode (Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:34:31 GMT),
the artist formerly known as Hans said:

>Hello,
>
>The Desktop Linux in the company has Netscape.
>Netscape is unstable honestly. Netscape often stop or terminated during
>the normal operation without a warning message.
>Well, better than M$ Windows 95. Cause I can restart only netscape.
>I need an web browser is more stable than Netscape. :-)

Try lynx. Seriously. It's fast, stable, and has excellent controls and
features. It's a text browser, but you can set it to display inline
images as links, and you can have it so that when you follow an image
link, it invokes xv or something similar (assuming you're running lynx
in an xterm under X), so you can even use it to view pr0n.

It has a fairly configurable interface, and supports a few different
user levels. (The beginner levels tend to hide some useful information in
favour of showing you tips and instructions.)

It doesn't support Java or Javascript, and it doesn't much care for
frames (though you can work your way through a site with frames).
Whether these count as shortcomings or features depends upon your point
of view.

Although I don't hate the idea of a graphical browser, I personally
prefer to use lynx under most circumstances.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.