Linux-Misc Digest #353, Volume #26               Mon, 20 Nov 00 07:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: A stronger kill (Villy Kruse)
  simple shell script variable question ("Dan Allen")
  Re: Samba error login win98 ("Dan Allen")
  Re: Which Linux to try? ("Martin Schmidt")
  Re: two mice with linux? ("Dan Allen")
  Re: simple shell script variable question (Eric)
  Re: simple shell script variable question ("Dan Allen")
  Re: gnome_login_check ("CDM")
  Re: file is not found - but I know it exists! (Paul Robertson)
  Re: file is not found - but I know it exists! (Eric)
  old modules not found (Carsten Huettl)
  mpg123 + NTFS (Anton Osennikov)
  Re: Embedded linux newgroup (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Hacked? Is that the reason for my new mail problems? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Bloatware ("Tim Banner")
  how can i check port? (Immortal Love)
  Re: MP3 decoder-encoder (Frank Elsner)
  pam access.so ("Umberto Nicoletti")
  Re: Real Difference Between Server and Workstation under RH7.0? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Is this hard drive dead? (LuisMiguel Figueiredo)
  Re: mpg123 + NTFS (LuisMiguel Figueiredo)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: A stronger kill
Date: 20 Nov 2000 09:17:58 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:24:22 +0000,
 Daniel Barron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink) wrote:
>
>> >There must be a better way of killing something that won't go away?
>>
>> I assume you've used "kill -9 pid"?
>
>Will do.  Thanks to you and all the others.  Also thanks for pointing out
>that I should have read the man page.
>
>I just looked at it and taking a closer look shows this command.

Note that if a program is supposed to do some cleanup when killed that cleanup
won't happen if you kill -9.  Therefore don't make kill -9 your standard
way of killing things.  Also if you kill your login shell do use kill -1,
which is the signal the shell expect when the terminal is hung up by a modem.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Dan Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: simple shell script variable question
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:19:41 +0800

Okay, when I first run this script, I want to check who the user is that
is running without asking them.  Thus, I want to use the output from
whoami
So when I first wrote my script I did

i=whoami

However, then i is just assigned the word "whoami" and not the user.  How
to you get the output of a small binary like that to write to a
variable??
I am sure this must be possible.
Please e-mail your response to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
so I am sure to get it.

thanks,

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Dan Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Samba error login win98
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:24:16 +0800

HOWEVER!!!!  Key think here is that the user also has a samba password.
It is like when you share with windows 2000, and you have to be a user on
the computer to be able to access the computer's shares.  In this case
how, the person does not have to be a user, but they do need to have a
samba passsword.  The easiest way to do this is to run in netscape,

http://localhost:901/
(make sure to login at the prompt as root)
and then go to the password section and add yourself and whoever else you
want to share.  Make their username and password the same as in windows
98.  Then, make sure that you are using encrypted passwords.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Martin Schmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which Linux to try?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:20:00 +0100

If you are new to linux Corel will be a good
choice, because it is easy to install and administrate .
If you have gained more experince you may want to
switch to another distro, because Corel lacks many
common linux tools , on my cd i didnt found even
the editor emacs .

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Dan Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: two mice with linux?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:29:42 +0800

Keep posting this problem, because I have interest in it as well.  When I
install Linux, it never recognizes my USB mouse on the install because I
have a touchpad.  Linux seems to assume that if there is one mouse, there
are no more.  Now, I realize that there is probably a solution for it,
but it is certainly the case that on an install it only looks for one
mouse.

Dan

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: simple shell script variable question
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:33:02 +0100

Dan Allen wrote:

> Okay, when I first run this script, I want to check who the user is that
> is running without asking them.  Thus, I want to use the output from
> whoami
> So when I first wrote my script I did
>
> i=whoami

make that

i=`\whoami`

(note the direction of the quotes too, don't use ' but use `)

(the \ is to escape the shell, so no alias can mess it up)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Dan Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:51:45 +0800

To answer my own question, you need to force what is on the right side of
the expression to evaluate itself and return the output.  To do that you
use the backwards single quotation mark.  So it would be as follows

i=`whoami`

This text does not show what it looks like in the shell, but it is the
same key as the ~, only without the shift.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "CDM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gnome_login_check
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:41:42 +0100

On RedHat 6.2 that is....

news:8vap24$k8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: file is not found - but I know it exists!
From: Paul Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:03:57 GMT

Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Garry Knight wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
<...snipped...>

> Would you have read some further, you would have seen, that he already
> tried that.
>
> probably a library the executable cannot find, but I'm not sure how to
> check that (ld?)

If a shared library were missing, the error would read something like
the following:

 rambler:~>xsetiathome
 xsetiathome: error in loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.7: cannot

In order to determine which shared libraries are required by a
dynamically linked executable, one would use the "ldd" command:

  rambler:~>ldd `which xsetiathome`
        libXaw.so.7 => not found
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x40019000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x40065000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x4006e000)
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x40085000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40098000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4013c000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0x40149000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4015f000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4017b000)

However, in this case, I don't think that shared libraries are the
problem. Rather, I suspect that the "stinit" executable is trying to
exec another executable, and not finding that other executable in its
PATH. The error you are seeing tells you that the program
/usr/local/stata/stinit is not able to run another program. You might
try the following:

 o make an optimistic guess that stinit is looking for something in
   the same directory, and add it to your PATH before running stinit:

   # export PATH=$PATH:.
   # /usr/local/stata/stinit

 o % strings stinit

   look for references to other programs to guess at what it might be
   looking for.

HTH,

Paul

--
Paul Robertson
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:06:19 +0100

Eric wrote:

> Garry Knight wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
> >
> > > while I can see the file with
> > > ls, and filename completion works ok, bash complains that it cannot
> > > find such a file or directory when I try to execute the file.
> >
> > This is one of those FAQs. Your current directory isn't on your search
> > path for executables. If you want to run a program in the current
> > directory you must specify the path to the program. The simplest way to
> > do this is to use . to refer to the current directory. So, you run the
> > program with something like:
> >   ./program
> > You could tell bash to check your current directory by altering the
> > PATH variable but this is not recommended for reasons of security.
> >

> Would you have read some further, you would have seen, that he already
> tried that.
>
> probably a library the executable cannot find, but I'm not sure how to
> check that (ld?)

that should be `ldd ./stata`

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carsten Huettl)
Subject: old modules not found
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:07:45 GMT

after updating some RPMs my RH6.2 machine (depmod) did not recognize
the new location of some new libs
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0
/lib/modules/2.2.16.3

Nov 16 16:13:05 tamarak depmod: depmod: Can't open
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for writing
Nov 16 16:13:05 tamarak rc.sysinit: Finding module dependencies failed

This happens because rpm -U <file name> renames /lib/modules/2.2.14-5
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.ori
and installs
/lib/modules/2.2.16.3

How do I make depmod working with the new /lib/module?

TIA
C.

------------------------------

From: Anton Osennikov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mpg123 + NTFS
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:35:06 +0500

Hello!

I'm trying to play mp3 files with mpg123 from a NTFS partition.

Say,

mpg123 1.mp3 where 1.mp3 is on NTFS

Time to time mpg123 says something like "cannot rewind stream by 42 bits", and
sound is distorted.

But,

cat 1.mp3 | mpg123 -

plays OK. There is no mpg123 error messages also.

Is there my only problem or someone else expirences the same? Is there a
solution?

My Linux is Slackware 7.0, 2.2.13 kernel.

I tried NTFS driver versions 990831 990411 with the same result.

I also tried 2.4.0-test10 kernel. It tolds me "kernel bug ..." when i say
"mgp123 1.mp3". But "cat 1.mp3 | mpg123 -" runs OK.

--
Best wishes,    Anton Osennikov.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Embedded linux newgroup
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:41:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Is there an embedded linux newsgroup?

How about comp.os.linux.embedded ?

Duh.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Hacked? Is that the reason for my new mail problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:39:58 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>Incidentally, how did you guys figure out where these IPs originated from?

[...]

nslookup, dig, whois are your friends.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Tim Banner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bloatware
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:10:18 -0000

I've decided to reply to myself rather than individual messages for
simplicity.  This thread is a little old now so I'll keep it short as I
doubt it's being followed anymore :)

Debian looks like an interesting option for the more experienced user.  I
read the article link about "Debian and Newbie users" being bad for Linux, I
have formed some opinions on this but that another thread of probably well
trodden ground.

It's nice to see the consensus is that a default Linux box shouldn't run any
inet.d services.  If a newbie needs them they should know at least how to
activate them.  It also appears that Linux can be cut down with experience.
Perhaps as a home user the biggest help was a Linux mag, instead of
installing countless softare to see what they do I can now install
reletively little and still see software reviews.  Therefore I know what is
out there.

I did try and say that I didn't think "Linux" was bloatware as a core
system, but the distros that provide it.  However it's hard to get a basic
functioning system without many otherwise unrequired packages, e.g. a
compiler and a good set of libraries.  To a non progammer this is a
frustrating waste of space (but I have now started learning C++).

I've been using Linux just about long enough (6months) and read enough
HowTO's/books to start unconfidently building a Linux install from scatch
without a distro on a spare PC.  Why do this?  To learn the building blocks
of Linux.

I'm beginning to love Linux, everything about it.  I'm not quite sure why, I
never had this interest in Win or DOS, but if you put the effort in you are
justly rewarded (much to the dismay of my missus ;)

Thanks for your responses, all were very interesting.

Tim Banner
Network Administrator - Bridge College

From: Immortal Love <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how can i check port?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:20:21 +0800

If i set up several apache servers and ftp servers in my pc, how can i
check if they're running and which ports sre they using? Is there any
command?

Thx. :)

------------------------------

From: Frank Elsner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: MP3 decoder-encoder
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:29:32 +0100

Adam Foster wrote:
  [ ... ]

> Bladeenc? Use 'lame' instead - it's a lot faster (at high-quality, it
> encodes faster than real-time on my K6-2 450), it's just as free, it
> produces much higher quality MP3s (approaching those produced by the
> Fraunhofer encoder, apparently), and new versions have support for the
> potential MP3 replacement, Ogg Vorbis.

'lame' ? Use 'notlame' it's faster.

> I can't remember the URL for it, but try typing 'lame' into Google. It'll
> probably find it...

See http://hive.me.gu.edu.au/not_lame

-Frank Elsner

------------------------------

From: "Umberto Nicoletti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pam access.so
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:36:03 +0100

I have been trying to set up my linux box to allow only logins (console or
network) from certain hosts and users. I went through the pam manual, but
could not get the access.conf to work.

If any of you has ever made it, would you be so kind to post your
pam.d/login file?

I added the following lines to the standard login file in redhat6.2:

auth  sufficient  pam_rhosts_auth.so no_rhosts
account  required       /lib/security/pam_access.so

What am I missing?

Thank you,
Umberto

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Real Difference Between Server and Workstation under RH7.0?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:45:01 -0000

  "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:19:31 GMT, wrote :

"MN>   Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the following under
"MN> RH7.0 Professional Server?  Doing a Server installation with no 'server
"MN> type' selected ("News Server", "Web Server", "NFS Server", and "Mail Server"
"MN> all un-selected) as compared to doing a Workstation installation.  Of
"MN> course, I would like to know the difference other than the obvious fact that
"MN> the X-Window interface is not included in the server installation.
"MN>
"MN>   You see, I am setting up a standard server to be used primarily as a
"MN> database server, but would like to add the X-Window interface (and GNOME or
"MN> KDE) to do web browsing and some graphical system administration.  So since
"MN> it will primarily be a server, I did not want to do a workstation install to
"MN> get the GUI because I was afraid that the kernel parameters and some other
"MN> things would not be set to favor operation as a server.  Am I wrong in
"MN> thinking this way?

There are no kernel differences.  The difference between 'workstation'
and 'server' installs is pretty much:

server: X11 not installed, default run level 3 (startup in console mode).
workstation: X11 installed, default run level 5 (startup in X11).

Also: the selection of packages installed is different -- server having
server packages and workstation having more workstation stuff.  Like a
server won't have pppd installed and might not have the -devel stuff or
utilities like gimp, and a workstation might not have httpd or
samba-server installed.

If you want the machine to be mostly a server, do the server install
and then go back and manually install the 'missing' workstation stuff
you want (X11, gnome, gimp, netscape, etc.).  Configure X11, but DON'T
elect to have the machine startup in X11 -- leave it at default run
level 3 (startup in console mode), since this allows the system to
perform best as a server when you (the user) is not logged in.  You'll
have to use the startx command to fire up X11 (gnome).

"MN>
"MN> Thanks in advance,
"MN>   Scott Navarre
"MN>
"MN>
"MN>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is this hard drive dead?
Date: 20 Nov 2000 11:59:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8v04io$7m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I have an old 486 I use for my play
>computer. Tonight when I went to boot it
>up, it claims there's no hard drive
>installed. (there is)
>
>I went into the BIOS and the BIOS thinks
>I have no hard drive at all.

 When i said autodetection i ment autodetection of the harddrives. It's
located on the first menu options of the BIOS. Where is the number of h, c,
s change to AUTO. Where says LBA or something put on AUTO. If that don't
work change your harddrive to check if it's the controller.

 If nothing work hope you got warranty.

Good luck,

+--------------------------------+
|elmig                           |
|http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931|
|Luis.Figueiredo AT pt.bosch.com |
+--------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mpg123 + NTFS
Date: 20 Nov 2000 12:06:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anton Osennikov) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to play mp3 files with mpg123 from a NTFS partition.
>
>Say,
>
>mpg123 1.mp3 where 1.mp3 is on NTFS
>
>Time to time mpg123 says something like "cannot rewind stream by 42
>bits", and sound is distorted.
>
>But,
>
>cat 1.mp3 | mpg123 -
>
>plays OK. There is no mpg123 error messages also.
>
>Is there my only problem or someone else expirences the same? Is there a
>solution?
>
>My Linux is Slackware 7.0, 2.2.13 kernel.

Try to upgrade for the latest stable kernel 2.2.17 on http://www.kernel.org
and DON'T forget to compile the new modules.

When you tryed 2.4.x did you compiled the modules?

Good luck,