Linux-Misc Digest #353, Volume #27               Tue, 13 Mar 01 22:13:10 EST

Contents:
  waitpid() for a non parent process (dave michael kennedy)
  Re: No swap being used (Jean-David Beyer)
  LILO + Mylex 170 .... another plea for help. ("Steve Wolfe")
  LaTeX with Emacs? (Anton Suchaneck)
  Re: Help With Install Please HELP HELP HELP (Shahid Majid)
  Re: e-mail footer (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: LaTeX with Emacs? ("Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren")
  Re: LaTeX with Emacs? (John Hunter)
  Re: e-mail footer ("Tomasz Chmielewski")
  PPP log options help (Chris Medcraft)
  Path Extraction (Young4ert)
  Re: bind (David Efflandt)
  insmod lp failed (MH)
  Re: Looking for free Terminal Emulator ("Gerardo Gregory")
  Re: LaTeX with Emacs? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: No swap being used (Paul Kimoto)
  Problems using the Gimp program in Redhat 6.2 (mike)
  man: can't create a temporary filename: Permission denied (WONG SAI-KEE)
  Re: Problems using the Gimp program in Redhat 6.2 (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Path Extraction (David)
  amanda to use gnu tar ("Wong Ching Kuen Frederick")
  Re: Less space used by Reiserfs (Rod Smith)
  Re: Less space used by Reiserfs (Rod Smith)
  suse and reiserfs ("Wong Ching Kuen Frederick")

From: dave michael kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: waitpid() for a non parent process
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:15:55 -0600

Is there a function like waitpid() that will watch for a non-child process
to die/exit?

hey, if windows can do it, it must have been done in linux somewhere..

thanks

Dave Kennedy
Champaign Underwater Hockey

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No swap being used
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:15:33 -0500

Paul Kimoto wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> > Some of the swapped processes are:
> >
> >  kflushd
> >  kupdate
> >  kpiod
> >  kswapd (I am kind-of suprised that this is allowed to swap out)
>
> These are parts of the kernel, not separate programs, and as such
> they are never swapped out.  (Their entries in /proc report no
> virtual-memory statistics.)

Since each of these has a process-id, I do not see how you can say
they are part of the kernel; this is not a Microsoft system. top,
pstree, and ps report them all as though they were processes. Those
tools that list their swap status list them as swapped.

Are you saying that all these tools are wrong by listing them as
separate processes? How did they fabricate process identifiers?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO + Mylex 170 .... another plea for help.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:58:17 -0700

  To sum up the problem I'm having, LILO just won't see the Mylex 170 RAID
card that I'm trying to get working.  When I do a lilo -T geom, it doesn't
show up.  However, DOS's fdisk is able to see the drive, and DOS will boot
off of it just fine, leading me to believe that despite the lack of output
from LILO, it really is registering itself as a BIOS drive.   I am using the
latest version of LILO, which supposedly has support for the Mylex 170.  If
anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.  Come on, SOMEONE
must have made one of these things work before!

steve

------------------------------

From: Anton Suchaneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LaTeX with Emacs?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:20:33 +0000

Hi there,

I decided to use LaTeX for my future essays at the university. Is there any
special support for LaTeX in Emacs? Thanks for help.

Bye

Anton

------------------------------

From: Shahid Majid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help With Install Please HELP HELP HELP
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:25:42 -0800

Gio Ahmad wrote:

> I have this Toshiba laptop (satellite pro 2155cds) I do all that the Linux
> redhat instructions say I do the graphical install it runs through it's
> check  But then its stops at
>
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>
>  this machine was formated it has no c: i can boot with  a:bootdisk dos type
> or what should i do i just want linux on thish comp
>
> please help
>
> TIA
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the Laptops like this often there is an option in the BIOS of the machine to
select the OS which has been installed in the machine. You probably need to go
in the BIOS and select the proper selection from the dropdown menu and then
install Linux again. Hopefully this will do.
Good Luck!

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: e-mail footer
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:24:51 -0500

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> I'm looking for a patch to sendmail/postfix/qmail, whatever, that would
> allow me to add a footer to every outgoing e-mail from a local network,
> like:
>
> ---
> my.company.domain - blah blah blah
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomasz Chmielewski
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a FAQ on the sendmail newsgroup (and I bet on qmail as well).
The trouble is that it is not reasonable to do it that way. It is not
a simple matter of concatenating the thing at the end of every e-mail.
If there was even a possibility of anyone sending a MIME e-mail,
concatenating stuff to the end would break it.

The proper place to attach such stuff is in your mail user agent (MUA)
(e.g., /bin/mail, mutt, Netscape Communicator Messenger, etc.) and not
in the mail transport agent (MTA) (e.g., sendmail, smail, qmail,
etc.).

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 5:20pm up 11 days, 25 min, 3 users, load average: 2.19, 2.14,
2.10

------------------------------

From: "Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LaTeX with Emacs?
Date: 13 Mar 2001 23:57:35 +0100

[Anton Suchaneck]

| I decided to use LaTeX for my future essays at the university. Is there any
| special support for LaTeX in Emacs? Thanks for help.

Emacs has terrific support for LaTeX.   if you're on debian, apt-get
install auctex.  if not, http://sunsite.dk/auctex/.

--
Rolf Lindgren                                            http://www.roffe.com/

From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Mar 2001 16:58:33 -0600

    Anton> Hi there, I decided to use LaTeX for my future essays at
    Anton> the university. Is there any special support for LaTeX in
    Anton> Emacs? Thanks for help.

Tons, AucTeX mode is what you are looking for

http://sunsite.dk/auctex/

Also, see RefTeX.  This has a lot of nice features

http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~dominik/Tools/

For BibTeX support, see

http://www.ida.ing.tu-bs.de/people/dirk/bibtex/

You'll never go back.

John Hunter

Here are my .emacs configs for these packages

(autoload 'bib-cite-minor-mode "bib-cite" "Enhanced bib handling for AucTeX" t)
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/lisp/auctex") load-path))
(setq TeX-lisp-directory (expand-file-name "~/emacs/lisp/auctex"))
(require 'tex-site)
(require 'latex-skeletons)
;; Add system dependent paths here
(if running-linux
    (setq TeX-macro-global '("/usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/")))
(if running-sunos
    (setq TeX-macro-global '("/usr/local/teTeX/texmf/tex")))

;(require 'siunit)

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.tex$" . latex-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq ispell-parser 'tex)
             (setq TeX-parse-self t)
             (setq TeX-auto-save t)
             (turn-on-reftex)
             (latex-math-mode)
             (setq tex-dvi-view-command
                   (if (eq window-system 'x) "xdvi" "dvi2tty * | cat -s"))
             (setq-default tex-dvi-print-command "dvips")
             (setq TeX-style-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/Tex/bib-styles/")
                                        TeX-style-path))
             (setq reftex-cite-format 'natbib)
             (setq reftex-cite-format-builtin
                   '((natbib "The natbib package"
                              ((?\C-m . "\\citep{%l}")
                               (?t    . "\\citet{%l}")
                               (?n    . "\\citealp{%l}")))
                     (chicago "The Chicago package"
                              ((?\C-m . "\\shortcite{%l}")
                               (?n    . "\\shortciteN{%l}")
                               (?p    . "\\shortciteNP{%l}")
                               (?a    . "\\shortciteA{%l}")
                               (?m    . "\\cite{%l}")
                               (?N    . "\\citeN{%l}")
                               (?P    . "\\citeNP{%l}")
                               (?A    . "\\citeA{%l}")
                               (?y    . "\\citeyear{%l}")))))
             (flyspell-mode)
             (turn-on-font-lock)
             ))

------------------------------

From: "Tomasz Chmielewski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:09:31 +0100

> This is a FAQ on the sendmail newsgroup (and I bet on qmail as well).
> The trouble is that it is not reasonable to do it that way. It is not
> a simple matter of concatenating the thing at the end of every e-mail.
> If there was even a possibility of anyone sending a MIME e-mail,
> concatenating stuff to the end would break it.

OK, there is something unsupported by sendmail.org called libmilter/README
there, but one thing discourages me - C programming... :)

> The proper place to attach such stuff is in your mail user agent (MUA)
> (e.g., /bin/mail, mutt, Netscape Communicator Messenger, etc.) and not
> in the mail transport agent (MTA) (e.g., sendmail, smail, qmail,
> etc.).

Heh - how to persuade all employees to attach company info? :))

Regards,

Tomasz Chmielewski

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Medcraft)
Subject: PPP log options help
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:26:36 -0000

Hi, I'm using Debian Potato, with no major modifications.  PPP insists on
sending LCP echo requests and reply notifications to syslog.  While very useful,
for myself it simply fills up the logfile, making it difficult to notice
important messages without stripping out the chaff using a script/grep etc.  Is
there any way to modify PPP's logging configuration to prevent this logging from
taking place?

Many thanks in advance.

 Chris

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Path Extraction
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:23:17 GMT

Hi,

If I want to extract the program name given the fullpath of the program,
all I have to do on my LInux machine is the following:

        ~/tmp> basename /usr/bin/basename

and "basename" will return "basename".  Nothing is wrong about; however, if
I want is the path of the program, i.e. "/usr/bin", what program should I
use to extract the path given the program name in fullpath?

TIA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: bind
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:14:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Tomasz Chmielewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is it possible to run BIND both as caching name-server and primary name
>server, on one machine?

All I did was install a caching nameserver package and added my own local
master zones (notify no;) for forward and reverse lookup of my LAN.
Since it is just for my LAN, I limited access in options{}; of named.conf:

        listen-on { 127/8; 10/8; 172.16/16; 192.168/16; };

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: insmod lp failed
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:01:29 -0800

Recently upgraded my kernel and now my printer isn't working.  It appears
to be a defective module.  I tried recompiling and reinstalling, but
without success.  I get a kernel error message on boot telling me that no
(lp) device was found.  The module DOES exist.

When I run "modprobe lp" to manually install the parallel port
driver I get this:

....Device or resource busy

/lib/modules/2.2.18/misc/lp.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.18/misc/lp.o failed

Any ideas on what this problem is, and how to fix it?

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

From: "Gerardo Gregory" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Looking for free Terminal Emulator
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:30:35 GMT

ALSO putty is a good free emulator....also supports SSH

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:47:26 GMT

Anton Suchaneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I decided to use LaTeX for my future essays at the university. Is
> there any special support for LaTeX in Emacs? Thanks for help.

<broad french accent>
But of course, monsieur!
</broad french accent>

At the "low tech" end, there's a TeX mode that seems to come along by
default that is _somewhat_ supportive.

If you're into "rocket science," look up AUC TeX, which slices and
dices and does _much_ in the way of sophisticated stuff for you.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/finances.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Date: 13 Mar 2001 20:59:27 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> Paul Kimoto wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>>>  kflushd
>>>  kupdate
>>>  kpiod
>>>  kswapd (I am kind-of suprised that this is allowed to swap out)

>> These are parts of the kernel, not separate programs, and as such
>> they are never swapped out.  (Their entries in /proc report no
>> virtual-memory statistics.)

> Since each of these has a process-id, I do not see how you can say
> they are part of the kernel; this is not a Microsoft system. top,
> pstree, and ps report them all as though they were processes. Those
> tools that list their swap status list them as swapped.
>
> Are you saying that all these tools are wrong by listing them as
> separate processes? How did they fabricate process identifiers?

No, the tools are not wrong, but there are no executables there (try to
find them on your system!).  The _Unix system administration handbook_
(3rd edition) explains:

: Under Linux, there is no visible PID 0.  There are several handler
: processes in addition to init; the exact complement varies depending on
: the version of the kernel:
:
:  * init -- process 1
:  * Various memory and kernel handlers (kflushd, kupdate, kpiod, kswapd)
:
: Of all these processes, only init is really a full-fledged user process.
: The others are actually portions of the kernel that have been dressed to
: look like processes for scheduling or architectural reasons.

The slight of hand is performed by the kernel itself, so they have entries
in /proc (where the procps and other tools look).  For regular processes,
/proc/PID/status lists statistics like VmSize, VmLck, VmRSS, ..., but the
entries for the pseudoprocesses lack this information.  (I have 2.4.3-pre*
here.)  Take a look!

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems using the Gimp program in Redhat 6.2
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:13:27 -0500

Hi,
    I just installed Redhat 6.2 . When I tried running the Gimp program,

the entire desktop changes to a dark color. On my Pentium 166 that
background color is a very dark purple. On my Celeron 300 machine,
that color is a very dark green. The colors are so dark that it is
hard to read the icons and the task bars.

                                                        Thanks
                                                                Mike

------------------------------

From: WONG SAI-KEE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: man: can't create a temporary filename: Permission denied
Date: 14 Mar 2001 02:24:37 GMT

I repartition a linux HD.  Restore a whole file system for a Debian
installation using the tar from the /

After tar, I also made the /proc and chmod a-w

It can boot up but when I use man, it shows the error

    man: can't create a temporary filename: Permission denied

I checked all directory are own by root and all directories for
man has w permission.  Is there any missing directory ?  Which
directory is used by man to create the temp file ?

Thanks

SK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Problems using the Gimp program in Redhat 6.2
Date: 14 Mar 2001 02:37:01 GMT

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:13:27 -0500, mike staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I just installed Redhat 6.2 . When I tried running the Gimp program,
>the entire desktop changes to a dark color. On my Pentium 166 that
>background color is a very dark purple. On my Celeron 300 machine, that
>color is a very dark green. The colors are so dark that it is hard to
>read the icons and the task bars.

Run XConfigurator and change the color depth to something other than
8-bit.  (The automatic RedHat X-configuration always sets the color
depth to 8.  This is ludicrous, considering that every video card made
since about 1995 can do at least 16-bit.)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Path Extraction
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 02:52:12 GMT

Young4ert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I want to extract the program name given the fullpath of the program,
> all I have to do on my LInux machine is the following:
>
>         ~/tmp> basename /usr/bin/basename
>
> and "basename" will return "basename".  Nothing is wrong about; however, if
> I want is the path of the program, i.e. "/usr/bin", what program should I
> use to extract the path given the program name in fullpath?
>
> TIA.

Do you mean something like: whereis basename

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.108% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: amanda to use gnu tar
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:45:29 +0800

how to configure one of my linux amanda client to use gnu tar instead of the
default dump program?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Less space used by Reiserfs
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:01:18 -0000

In article <98m1g6$iog$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Kevin wrote ...
>>I had a similar eye opening experience when trying to archive
>>some source code from an ext2 filesystem to a JAZZ drive's VFAT
>>file system.  My 600MB of ext2 files would *not* fit onto a 2GB
>>VFAT JAZZ drive.  Gulp!
>
> This might in fact be due to a known problem (feature :-) with VFAT, namely
> that the number of directory entries of the root directory of a VFAT
> partition is limited to about 512 (I think) FAT directory entries (names not
> adhering to the 8.3 original MS-DOS standard takes more than one FAT
> directory entry per name).

That's one possibility. Another isn't so much an issue with VFAT
(emphasis on V) as it is with FAT-16. All varieties of FAT use an
allocation block size that increases with the size of the partition. A
2GB partition is the largest that's possible for FAT-16 (at least in
most OSs; WinNT can handle up to 4GB). At that size, FAT-16 results in
allocation block sizes of 32KB. On average, this wastes 16KB of space
per file, assuming random file sizes that average substantially more
than this. By contrast, ext2fs uses allocation blocks of 1-4KB,
configurable at format time, resulting in 0.5KB-2KB of wasted space, on
average. That means that for every 10,000 files, a 2GB FAT-16 partition
wastes roughly 160MB, whereas ext2fs wastes roughly 10MB (assuming a
1KB allocation block). 10,000 files of about 60KB average size fills
600MB (ignoring lost space). Drop the average file size to something
less than that and the problem becomes much worse, and can easily
account for the failure of a FAT-16 partition to hold the data.

FAT-32 uses smaller allocation block sizes, and so is far superior for
large partitions or media.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:04:51 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <0asr6.903$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Justin R. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'm running the 2.4.2 kernel and
> I converted my /usr/local partition to the reiserfs (copying everything
> to another directory, unmounting /usr/local, mkreiserfs , etc, and copy
> back).
>
> The odd thing is that the amount of disk space used has gone down by more
> than half. Before the conversion, df reported 61% of the partition used,
> and afterwards, it reports 25%! Yet nothing APEARS to be missing...
>
> Possible reasons:
>
> 1. df underreports reiserfs partitions
>
> 2. the reiserfs is more efficient in storing small files (this partition
> contained thousands of very small files).

ReiserFS is definitely more efficient at storing small files. Still,
the drop from 61% filled to 25% seems pretty extreme. What are the
exact figures on the number of files and total disk space used? I might
accept this if the files were VERY tiny, on average, although I don't
know precisely HOW tiny they'd have to be. You might try checking a
bunch of the files to be sure they're intact.

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suse and reiserfs
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:59:46 +0800

just want to know in what rpm is those reiserfs prog located in suse 7.0