From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: linux login failure - gabba?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:24:50 GMT

In article <91u2io$j2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> PLEASE can someone help me? (soon?) my linux box (connected to the
> internet - acting as a masquerading proxy) has just stopped forwarding
> traffic & when I rebooted I was unable to log in: I get the usual
> screen: Red Hat Linux release 5.5 (Apollo) Kernel 2.0.36 on an i386
> login:
> (I type in 'root' and hit <return>)
> In an instant, instead of asking for a password, the system prints up:
>
> /usr/bin/..gabba: Permission denied
>
> and then returns to the login screen.
>
> I can't log in. I can't do it via telnet either.
> ...and It's not masquerading.
>
> Question: Have I been the subject ot a malicious hack, or a hardware or
> software failure?
>
> Is there something I can do about this?

"/usr/bin/..gabba" sounds suspicious. To recover, try booting into single
user mode by typing:

linux single

at the lilo prompt. This should boot you into an administrative mode to
see what's wrong. I suspect that login or your initscripts are
corrupt. A good way to find out in redhat is to use rpm to verify some of
your system utilities:

rpm -V fileutils binutils basesystem initscripts netkit-base passwd
procps shutils utillinux

Which will list any files within those packages that have been changed.
Reinstalling those packages may return you to a bootable state, but there
are many ways a cracker can compromise your system, and a Redhat version
that old has many known security exploits. You'd be best served by
backing up your important data and installing a recent version.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 6.1 or 6.2
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:47:54 GMT

Generic User wrote:

> Where can I still download RH6.1 (preferrably) or RH6.2?
> A lot of the sites Google gave me now have broken 6.x
> links.
>
> -chris

ftp.sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/
ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.908% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.0 & Promise UATA66 Controller
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:51:11 GMT

I have run into the same problem.  Promise only had a driver for RedHat 6.0
on their web site.  If you find a fix I'd like to know because there is a
good chance I'll run into it again.  I had to use other systems for a class
I was conducting.  :-(

Woffles

"Jason Greenbaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:911gtv$g6j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am trying to install Redhat Linux 7.0 on a computer with a Promise
Ultra66

------------------------------

From: John Westerdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is a journalized file system?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:01:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I was recently reading an article discussing Linux, and the article
> reference something called a "journalized file system".  What is a
> journalized file system, and what is it used for?

IMHO, its one of the last things between Linux and Data center quality.
SGI has a standard file system (XFS) that was supposed to be offered
up for inclusion in the Linux Kernel.   It means that when the power
goes off
in your facility, your computers will rebound like nothing really
happened.
The machine boots up in a state that may require a few seconds of
update,
before getting back to work.   It helps admins sleep at night!   Would
seem to
be a process that might slow down I/O, but I can regularly get 88 Mbps
in
FTP from one SGI Octane to another over 100 Mbps Full Duplex.  They
did something right, those purple people.

Linux needs a Hi Perf Journaled file system bad!

JDW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Resize NTFS without Administrator Privs to Install RedHat -- Please  Help
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:19:52 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:57:54 +0100, David Vidal Rodriguez
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-snip-
>From within Linux (supposing that that partition is
>mounted on /nt) you can rewrite the file without modifying any of the NTFS'
>structures (which is the really dangerous thing when writing) like this:
>dd if=/dev/myLinuxPartition of=/nt/bsect.lin bs=512 conv=notrunc count=1

And just what do you think this does, if not 'modify any of the NTFS
structures' ?
I've done exactly this, and got away with it a few times.  On the other
occasion, I had a minimally corrupted NTFS file system that needed to be
diskchecked when I rebooted NT, and I stopped doing it.

>If you don't like having rw access to NTFS, mount it readonly, but let ntfs.o
>with read/write support, and remount it rw only when you update the file. It is
>somehow tricky, but it works!
Not all the time, which is why the read-write support is listed as being
_very_ experimental.  If you want to do this, it would be just as easy, and
a lot safer, to write the 512-byte bootsector to a floppy, and then copy
that onto the c: drive after rebooting Windows NT.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: "JT Is Me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.config
Subject: Re: Torvalds Speaks Out on RedHat 7.0 and gcc/kgcc idiocity! [Fwd: Signal 11]
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:35:04 -0800

They may have screwed up, but I'm also chalking this up to a learning
experience.  I have learned more that from previous distros.

John

news:91rla4$rm4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:51:56 GMT

Bryan Hoyt writes:
> Before the Graphical User Interface (gui) came into common use for the
> average user, the Linux system would boot to a text-mode login screen.
> This is what is generally called runlevel 3.

No.  Runlevel 3 is runlevel 3.  Which runlevels (if any) xdm/kdm/gdm runs
in is purely a matter of configuration.

> Kdm, the KDE login screen (what you appear to use), and other variants
> are in runlevel 5, the graphical runlevel.

This is a Red Hat convention.  Not everyone does it that way.

> This runlevel is basically X window run on top of runlevel 3.

This statement makes no sense.  Please read up on sysvinit.

> To attempt an answer at your first question, you can get to runlevel 3 by
> pressing 'ctrl-alt-F1'.

Changing virtual consoles has nothing to do with runlevels.  'ctrl-alt-F1'
will get you to the first virtual console, but does not change the runlevel
(and X is still running).
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Haley)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:53:09 -0000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:47:54 GMT,
 David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Generic User wrote:
>>
>> Where can I still download RH6.1 (preferrably) or RH6.2?
>> A lot of the sites Google gave me now have broken 6.x
>> links.
>>
>> -chris
>

>ftp.sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/
>ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/

ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/redhat
ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/redhat/old-releases (6.1 and older)

--
Matt Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "John Mazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How does an OS really work?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 06:37:55 GMT

An operating system is basically software that provides various services to
other higher-level programs via APIs (application programming interfaces)
and can be conceptually considered to be akin to the libraries used in C to
free the programmer from reinventing the wheel with every program and
instead concentrate more on writing the program to provide a certain
functionality.

An OS normally provides functions such as task execution, memory allocation,
task scheduling, security, networking, disk I/O, and all low-level hardware
device control.  This way programs can be protected from one another and
also freed from having to carry code to directly support every combination
of hardware that may be encountered.  They are generally built in a layered
fashion whereby each layer provides a progressively higher level of
abstraction of the hardware of the actual machine so that the application
software can be written generically enough to run on different hardware
platforms with merely a recompilation (in theory - it usually doesn't work
out that way in the real world, though!)

Regarding creating a new OS from scratch, the first step would be to
thoroughly learn the archetecture and machine language of the target
platform.  Next, one would want to decide what services the OS would provide
for application programs, and design an API.  Once the API was designed, one
would write code to control "generic" devices such as a TTY, disk drive,
sound card, modem, etc.  Once this generic code was written, it would then
be necessary to create device drivers interfacing them to actual hardware
devices..  Then one would create a boot loader program that would allow the
finished OS to be booted.

Needless to say, it is hardly a trivial task to create a new OS from
scratch.  Modern operating systems are highly complex pieces of software
that can take many man-years of development to create and debug.  One could,
however, save considerable time and effort by simply porting an existing OS
(i.e. LINUX or WinNT) to the new hardware platform.  This will result in a
minimal amount of recoding, as only the hardware-specific portions of the OS
would need to be rewritten for the new platform (again, in theory!).

news:91m68c$s09$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "John Mazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 06:39:07 GMT

Oh - forgot to mention in my previous post:

You may want to start reading through the Linux source code for an education
on the internals of modern operating systems.

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Turn off mail in crontab??
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:46:31 -0800

How can I turn off mail in crontab? The documentaion in "man 5 crontab" says
that if you set the environment variable "MAILTO" equal to nothing, ie:
MAILTO="" then you won't ge mail. However, the mail keeps coming!

What I do is this:

export MAILTO=""
printenv  |  grep  -i  mail

The "printenv" shows me that I have added MAILTO to my environment
variables. I am logged on as root during this entire process. But mail keeps
coming, (I have a script configured as "0-59/5 * * * *  /myscriptname" in
crontab).

How can I turn this mail off? The command I have is run every 5 minutes
forever, and generates an e-mail every single time (because of the nature of
the script). I don't want to fill up the disk with mail.

Alternatively can I do something to ensure that mail gets flushed after a
certain age so the disk doesn't fill up?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

------------------------------

From: "John Mazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel bug... or Hardware bug ? ... Help
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 06:52:16 GMT

I'd suspect hardware.

Check to make sure the processor fans are working correctly (you wouldn't
believe how many of those I've seen die!).

Next check your RAM by swapping it out one module at a time, and make sure
the memory and system speeds are matched (i.e. don't use PC-100 RAM in on a
133 MHz FSB).  You may also want to look at the memory timing parameters in
the BIOS and maybe slow things down a bit.

Also make sure that your SCSI cables (if you're using SCSI) are up to snuff.
I've had major issues with low-quality SCSI cables marked "Ultra-160" that
were crap and required me to slow my drives down to 40 MB/s to work
properly.  These problems went away when better cables were used.  It may
also be possible that something on the motherboard is bad.

I'd suspect bad RAM first once I made sure there was no overheating in the
machine.  Intermittant crashes can be a real bear to troubleshoot, so you'll
need some patience.  Otherwise, you could just swap out the entire
processor/RAM/motherboard assembly with new parts.  You can get a decent
motherboard, PIII 750 processor, and 256 MB of ECC RAM for under $1,000.  It
may be cost-effective if it prevents downtime (users unable to do their
jobs) and the costly technician time (an IT guy making $40k a year costs
about 30-50 bucks an hour when you include benefits) that troubleshooting
would entail.

Good luck finding and squashing your bug.

------------------------------

From: "Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Read Unix man pages in Window ?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 06:53:15 GMT

HI all...

Wondering if anyone has seen a utility that can read unix man pages in
Windows ?

Cheers
Dennis

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turn off mail in crontab??
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 07:04:45 GMT

Tom Edelbrok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How can I turn off mail in crontab? The documentaion in "man 5 crontab" says
> that if you set the environment variable "MAILTO" equal to nothing, ie:
> MAILTO="" then you won't ge mail. However, the mail keeps coming!

If it's a bug, tell the author about it. I believe MAILTO works for me.
Are you using cron, or anacron?

> What I do is this:

> export MAILTO=""
> printenv  |  grep  -i  mail

> The "printenv" shows me that I have added MAILTO to my environment
> variables. I am logged on as root during this entire process. But mail keeps
> coming, (I have a script configured as "0-59/5 * * * *  /myscriptname" in
> crontab).

> How can I turn this mail off? The command I have is run every 5 minutes

Don't produce output on stdout or stderr in cron. Redirect to /dev/null
if you don't want cron's warning messages.