From: Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: telnet screen color
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:51:35 GMT

I am using VT100 emulation to connect ...anywhere I can set it to disable
coloring ...or is it in termcap (How?)?

--

--
/+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Building new system
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:02:53 -0600

mike wrote:

> And is there a Linux site somewhere which lists suggestions for system
> components that will work together (not the hardware validation site)?

Yes!

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

And after that,

http://lhd.datapower.com/

and,

http://www.tomshardware.com/

You can also get some hardware related software from,

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/hardware/

Craig

------------------------------

From: Lori Holder-Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching to Linux
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:38:47 -0600

Late But In Earnest...

acoolguy wrote:
> have also noticed that many serious computer gurus are running Linux. Now I
> have several question so that I can determine if this is a suitable option
> for me:
>
> 1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to switching from Win to Linux
> and vice versa? Why do most people switch in the first place?

Linux is much more stable.  A lot of the apps are free.  A beneficial
byproduct (IMO) of a switch is that you'll become a _lot_ more familar
with the computer world in general (you'll be less dependent on your
department's IS guy).

> 2. What is the difference between Linux and Unix?

Don't really know.  I have a logon account on our unix mainframe, and
after I switched my mainframe shell from csh (UGH!) to bash, the
connection between the two boxes became totally transparent.  From the
user standpoint, they look pretty much identical.

> 3. If I finally decide to switch, I am worried about the fact that I have
> many important files on my computer that are only compatible with MS
> Office. I am aware that there are free programs avaliable for Linux, that
> would allow me do word processing, etc., but is there anyway to convert my
> files? Also we have PCs and MACs at school, I can currently work on the
> same files at home and at school,would Linux allow me to do this?

Depends.  You're at a university, but you don't indicate what your job
is.  I can only speak to this from the researcher perspective (as
opposed to the staff/office personnel perspective).  My colleagues are
all MicroSerfs.  I use only linux.  I use WordPerfect, they use Word.  I
use StarCalc, they use Excel.  For the most part I can read their files,
and they can read mine.

For papers, importing tables and figures is a real problem.  I usually
have to get someone to print them out from their windows box, or just
have my colleagues send them to me as hard copy.

For datasets, I've started transferring and archiving them as ascii flat
files (my colleagues use Excel).  I think this is an all-over better
solution, as 1) anything you want to use to analyze data will read in
the flat files, 2) they zip up better and take less storage space on my
archive media, and 3) I don't have to worry about inter-version
compatibility when upgrading my own software.

As far as the software that is available, the free version of
WordPerfect does most of what I need it to.  Not as many features as
Word, some of them are things I'd like to add, but if I want it that
badly, I can buy the full-featured version.  StarOffice is a cludge but
offers most of the functionality of Excel.

You'll be out of luck on the statistical analysis packages.  I think
that most of the major analysis packages (SAS, STATA, SPSS) have Unix
versions but not linux versions.  They should work just fine, but you'll
have to pay through the nose for them.  I haven't found any decent
analysis software at all for linux, and believe me, I've been looking.
On a practical level, this has simply caused me to shift my statistical
analyses from my local box to the university mainframe.   Since my
school provides these packages on the unix platform, and the connection
is seamless, this isn't too much of a problem - the only difference is
that I don't have the nifty graphic interfaces for easy problems, and I
usually prefer to ftp my output files and print them locally rather than
going through the centralized printing.

Other than that, if you've got databases in Access, you're S.O.L.  There
doesn't seem to be a convenient replacement for this in linuxland
either.  There are a ton of other databases, none of which offer the
extreme convenience of Access in terms of configuration, use, or output
generation and formatting (*no flames, please, people.  I used to have a
consulting gig writing databases,  the available SQL servers are far
more powerful and stable than Access, but most end-users I know of
prefer the ease and simplicity of the Access setup and use over the SQL
power they'll never need).

> 4. If I decide to make the big switch where do I get the software, what
> version should I get? How do I install it, as I have never formatted my
> hard drive, etc? Where do I get other software that I might need? Do I need
> to worry about drivers,say for my printer?

try http://www.linuxnewbie.org/
for any other info.

------------------------------

From: Eddie B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HPNP and Network Printing with Linux
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:53:23 -0500

Hi,
        I would like to set up a couple of LaserJets as network printers on
a Linux box here. I have heard of an utility called HPNP from HP that can
be used to accomplish this, but there doesn't seem to be a Linux version
that I could find.

        Does anyone know where I can locate a version of HPNP for Linux,
and if not, what would be best to use for setting up network printers?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Peach)
Subject: Re: Just testing the Staroffice Newsreader, so ignore this...
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:08:03 GMT

Yes - but please turn off the MIME / HTML garbage generator.

------------------------------

From: Eggert Ehmke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A few newbie questions
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:10:20 +0100

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:17:06 GMT, ChrisB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1. I used Partition Magic to set up my partitions, and am using
>BootMagic for dual booting with Win98. I followed the instructions very
>carefully, making sure that I did not install LILO into the Master Boot
>Record. However, when I boot up and select Linux, another screen comes
>up where I have to choose between dos and linux. Is this normal? If I
>have to go through LILO anyway, what's the advantage to using
>BootMagic?

Look into your /etc/lilo.conf file. If there is a dos section, throw it out,
and if there is a timeout entry, set it to 0. Now it should boot up linux
without further questions. (Call lilo again to make the change permanent !)

I don't know any advantage of boot magic vs. lilo (there might be some ! ).
It's a matter of taste. I have lilo to boot up Linux and Win95, and it works
perfect.

>2. Given the relatively limited hard drive space on my laptop, I didn't
>want to make the Linux partition too large (I'm really just using it to
>become more comfortable with Unix commands and emacs since I need to
>use these at work). I set it up with 1004 MB for the Linux native
>partition and 133 MB for the swap partition. But there's now about 280
>MB free, and to be honest, I don't expect to fill that up anytime soon.
>Is there any way to resize the Linux partition (extended primary
>partition containing 2 logical partitions)?

Well you have Partition Magic, right ? But don't resize it too narrow, you
might need the space later. However, a system without X fits into 500 MB.

>3. I read through the Getting Started manual and found the information
>on mounting my Windows partition so that I can access it in Linux. Will
>this allow me to copy files from Linux to Windows? I assume that I
>don't need free space equal to the size of the Win partition - it's
>just mounting it as another volume, like a CD-ROM or floppy, correct?

That's right. If you like, you can mount the complete windows drive at /C
into your Linux file system. You can even put the mount entry into your
/etc/fstab file, so it will be mounted automatically.

Good luck
Eggert

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Strange passwd
Date: 2 Jan 2001 19:11:06 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I installed 2 Turbolinux at 2 separate machine A and B. I want to make
]some users who do not need a password when they are login.

Why in the world do you want to do this? If those machines are connected
to the net in any way, you have just made them a hackers dream. They can
use them to launch attacks on others without fear of being found out.
And you have opened yourself to liability lawsuits. Bad idea.

]>passwd -d user123
]>passed -S user123
]Changing password for user user123
]No Password set.

](and I CAN'T login with this user without a password.)

Look at the PAM setup on machine B. You can set it up so that it will
not work without a password.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Hidden gnome taskbar.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:17:21 GMT

Idiot number 2.
Obtaining the hiding policies as he describes there are only two

Perhaps next time you will extract your head from you rectum long
enough to actually check that the person didn't look at the
thing you claimed they didn't look at. Try thinking for a change,
I know you haven'tdone it in a while, and it's hard work, but
it has it's benefits.

Sigh. But then again. The shit/brains ratio has severely increased
on the net since they let all those morons from aol, @home, webtv...
on.

------------------------------

From: Robert Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: IP Firewall, MASQ???????
Date: 2 Jan 2001 19:20:05 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Derek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a 4 port hub with 2 computers and the cable modem hooked to them,
: I have only one NIC and need to have the other computers going through
: the server somehow, and I got the CD's for Suse7.0 and they do not
: contain Squid. I did download it from the site and install but it also
: did not work because all the permissions were screwed up and would not
: let it write to itsown cache and log dir.
Just a question: Have you got the personal or professional version of
Suse7? Squid is at least included with the professional version, I
installed it (squid 2.x (2.2?)) some days ago without problems.
Did you install the right rpm from ftp.suse.com or one from the squid site?
rm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marian Heddesheimer)
Subject: glibc2.2 and linuxthreads
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:48:20 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to compile the glibc2.2 from the sources and after running
./configure i get a message that i need the linuxthreads add-on. I was
searching on the fsf.org homepage but did not find this add-on.

I found a source somewhere for linuxthreads 0.71 but when i run make
it stops with an error message:

pthread.c:158: structure has no member named `__sigaction_handler'
pthread.c:163: structure has no member named `__sigaction_handler'

maybe someone her can help.

Marian

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]            programmer and book author
http://www.heddesheimer.de               online-training

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:50:19 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Roaring Pengquin a showstopper in kernel 2.2.18

"D. C. Sessions" wrote:

> Michael Heiming wrote:
>
> > Can't comment on your scsi, try to build it in the kernel, I have / on scsi,
> > module is
> > not an option for me.
>
> Of course it is.  That's what initrd is for.
>
> --
> |   Engineers solve problems -- it's what we do.  |
> |            Do you want to be a problem?         |
> |     D. C. Sessions === [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |

Hello,

thanks, I didn't knew this was possible, but after reading man initrd it looks
fine...:-)

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:02:49 -0500

Bill Unruh wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> ]I installed 2 Turbolinux at 2 separate machine A and B. I want to make
> ]some users who do not need a password when they are login.
>
> Why in the world do you want to do this? If those machines are connected
> to the net in any way, you have just made them a hackers dream. They can
> use them to launch attacks on others without fear of being found out.
> And you have opened yourself to liability lawsuits. Bad idea.
>
> ]>passwd -d user123
> ]>passed -S user123
> ]Changing password for user user123
> ]No Password set.
>
> ](and I CAN'T login with this user without a password.)
>
> Look at the PAM setup on machine B. You can set it up so that it will
> not work without a password.

I remember about 20 years ago I was put in charge of the security of
about a dozen machines running Unix. They were either PDP-11/45's,
PDP-11/70's, VAX-11/780's, or a mix of those. The director of the
laboratory was afraid of losing company secrets. This was after it was
noticed that an employee who quit to work for a competitor or was fired
(I forget which) was observed logging into one of the machines. This was
before the internet (though we did have uucp), but we probably had at
least 100 dial-up ports, not counting a bunch on an ethernet.

So I announced that all users must have passwords. This was not a big
deal, I would have thought, but the resistance was terrible. People
bitched and swore that it would reduce their productivity. They left
their terminals logged in even when they went to lunch. Others would
walk up to those terminals and change the passwords so that the original
user could no longer log in. Etc.

So I put a timeout on the shells. If you typed nothing for an hour or
so, it would ask if you were still using the machine and if nothing was
entered in a short period, it logged you out. More wailing and gnashing
of teeth. They said they would get me fired, but the director of the
laboratory told them to grow up and act like professionals. They still
picked dumb passwords, such as their login, or qwert and stuff like
that, but it was better than nothing.

IT SEEMS THAT THE SAME THING IS STILL GOING ON 20 years later. 8-( Do
these guys all want to be spam relays? Do they want threatening letters
to the president sent with their return addresses on them? They gotta be
nuts!

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kristian ragndahl)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: 2 Jan 2001 20:06:32 GMT

Thaddeus L Olczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: >Panel -> Properties -> Hiding policy

: What an idiot!

Happy new year to you too.

: I supose you know what the word *front* means?
: If so, why are you suggesting something that doesn't pull it front but
: leaves it in back of everything else?

Sorry for missunderstanding your problem. Perhaps you could try remove
Panel -> Global Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Keep panel below windows?

--
kristian ragndahl, http://www.ragndahl.cx/

"Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of Man."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: ssh 2.4 and PAM
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:07:46 GMT

On Mon, 01 Jan 2001 19:53:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I meant, authenticating via PAM when using the Windows 2.4 client,
> with the SERVER running RH7
> PAM authentication works fine when using a linux client. That [the
> linux] client alows you to set the authentication methods, the
> Windows client doesn't [seem to] have this??

Perhaps the issue is that the Windows client is trying to use the wrong
SSH protocol? Are you using SSH1 or SSH2?

Regards, Dustin

--
Dustin Puryear <$email = "dpuryear"."@usa.net";>
Integrate Linux Solutions into Your Windows Network