From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Convert Word-DOC to PostScript
Date: 31 Jan 2001 19:32:29 -0600

  -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:46:43 GMT, wrote :

-> In article <958n7n$g9dan$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
->   "[BRDLocutus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-> > Hi,
-> > can anyone here tell me where to find a Linux-Tool to convert
-> > Word Documents to PS (PDF would be ok, too) ?
->
-> While not exactly a tool, StarOffice might do that.  Also, can't
-> Word produce PS output.

No, messed-Word cannot produce PS by itself.  (Messed-Office has NO
PostScript output support.) You need to install a 'PostScript' printer
driver.  You don't need an actual postscript printer, just the driver.
Pop in the Win CD, and use the Printer Setup Wizard and telling you are
installing an Apple Laserwriter II, but tell it to direct the output to
a file instead of a printer port.

Even then the result is not really proper PostScript -- it needs some
post processing.

The *better* answer is to buy and install Adobe Acrobat (the full
version with the 'distiller').  This creates a pseudo printer device
(driver?) that feeds into Adobe's PostScript and PDF writing engines
(distiller).

->
-> --
-> Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }
->
->
-> Sent via Deja.com
-> http://www.deja.com/
->

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
             http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow Disk Check for Large Drives
Date: 31 Jan 2001 19:32:30 -0600

  aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:53:35 -0600, wrote :

a> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
a> >
a> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
a> > >
a> > > I'm leading up the development of a Linux-based product that requires
a> > > alot of storage space.  The main problem that we are experiencing comes
a> > > when the system loses power unexpectedly and reboots.  The following
a> > > disk check takes forever if the system has 3 or 4 60 Gb disks.  We
a> > > really need to speed up this reboot process or we may be forced into
a> > > using Windows 2000 (which I loathe).  Even with a UPS connected, we
a> > > have to take into account the fact that some people will just power the
a> > > thing on and off.
a> > >
a> > If you cannot afford the time it takes to do the fsck's (some of these
a> > can be done in parallel to speed it up if you have different drives),
a> > perhaps your system(s) deserve to be run from a UPS that can coast over
a> > the short-term power interruptions, and cause a controlled shut-down for
a> > the longer ones. That way, the fsck's can be bypassed.
a> >
a>
a> That would help for power failures, but won't stop someone from
a> pressing the big red reset switch...

Try good old fashioned duct tape.  Or unplug it from the motherboard.
It should also be possible to bypass the power switch too.  Of course,
the *best* solution is training.

Note: Windows 2000 will do a scandisk if not properly shutdown, which
will also take 'forever' on those 3-4 60gig disks...  And if Windows
2000 *did not* do a scandisk, you might find those 3-4 60gig disks
seriously messed up, which could require days and days of fixing.  No
machine should ever be powered down or reset, except as a last resort.

a> I think that a better solution would be along the lines of a journaled
a> file system like reiserfs/jfs/xfs.
a>
a> I don't know much about jfs or xfs other than that they exist, but
a> reuiser works great on my systems, and is part of the main kernel (as
a> of the 2.4.1 release)
a>

--
                                     \/

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best internal modem?
Date: 31 Jan 2001 19:32:31 -0600

  Digital Puer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:01:49 -0800, wrote :

DP> thanks, but to be more specific, what is the most compatible internal
DP> *PCI* modem? My Dell 4100 only has PCI slots.

You are probably out of luck.  There are a *few* hardware PCI modems,
but they are pricey and hard to find.  There is *one* 'winmodem'
chipset for which Linux drivers exist, but I have no clue as to how
good these are (drivers or modems).  If you want a *good* *reliable*
*hardware* modem, get an *external* RS232 serial modem.  *ANY* such
modem will work fine under Linux (or Mess-Windows).

--
                                     \/

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Selling GPL programs
Date: 31 Jan 2001 19:32:31 -0600

  John Krane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:53:38 -0600, wrote :

JK> There are several programs downloadable
JK> from the internet with a GPL license that are
JK> for sale.  But I thought GPL programs were
JK> free.  What is the true story here?

English is ambiguous.  The word 'free' has two *different* meanings:

1) Zero cost.  As in 'I got a free T-Shirt.  I did not have to pay
anything for it!'

2) Not being enslaved.  As in 'I am free at four this afternoon. I am a
free man, I am not a number.'

GPL programs are 'free' in the sense of meaning #2.  You are free to use
them anywhere, anyhow.  You are free to make copies of them.  The source
code is freely available.

When people 'sell' GPL programs, what they are selling is a convenience
factor:  Most people do not have a really high-speed connection to the
internet.  Rather than spend 33.80825 *HOURS* with your 56K modem
downloading the RedHat 6.2 ISO image (and that is *just* the binary
RPMS, it will take you *another* 33.80825 *HOURS* to download the
*Source* RPMS, and probably another 20 or so hours to download
StarOffice), people can spend either $2.00 (each) for bare CDs or
$50-$80 for a box with a set of CDs, a nicely printed install manual,
and a post card that can be sent in for 30 days worth of tech. support
(read: hand-holding over the phone).

--
                                     \/

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: how to upgrade rpm
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:41:54 -0500

I have rpm-3.0.3-43mdk from mandrake 7.0 I often get an error saying I
cant istall a package with version >= 3. How can I upgrade or change my
rpm package so I can install these packages?

Any and all help appreciated.

--
Rick
* To email me remove NOSPAM from my address *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Why no audio gaps between songs with cdrecord in DAO mode
Date: 1 Feb 2001 01:46:46 GMT

In <9m2e6.1295$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin) writes:

>I've got a dilemma.  cdrdao will let me adjust pregaps when
>burning audio CDs.  But cdrdao requires libraries newer than my
>Mandrake 7.02 system came with.  So, I'm trying to use cdrecord
>with the -dao (disk at once) option.  When I use -dao I *DON'T*
>get 2 second gaps between songs.  Instead the last two seconds of

Yes, that is apparently the way cdrecord works. It does not put in 2 sec
gaps in. Just a feature of the program. They want you to be able to put
in gapless tracks (unfortunately some cdplayers cannot handle this
properly)
So, you could use some audio editing program to put in 2 sec silence.

------------------------------

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I don't get it...latex, bibtex, bst files
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:45:30 GMT

In article <95a4qf$fgp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I don't get this.  I am trying out various bibliography style files.
>I have downloaded a number of them from the web and saved them to my
>/usr/share/texmf/bibtex/bst/base directory.  No matter which of these
>bst files I try to use for generating my bibliography in a latex
>document, it ALWAYS fails.

I may be dead wrong, and there maybe someone to answer this in
comp.os.linux.misc. However, I think you'd get a much quicker answer to
this if you ask it in comp.text.tex.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 1 Feb 2001 02:08:17 GMT

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:46:43 GMT, -ljl- staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>In article <958n7n$g9dan$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "[BRDLocutus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> can anyone here tell me where to find a Linux-Tool to convert
>> Word Documents to PS (PDF would be ok, too) ?
>While not exactly a tool, StarOffice might do that.  Also, can't
>Word produce PS output.

StarOffice will do that, but MS Word's "Print to File" option doesn't
quite do the right thing--the PostScript files it generates have the
.PRN extension instead of .ps , even though they're (mostly) real
PostScript.  I have had success in taking these .PRNs, renaming them,
and using various things like ps2pdf on them.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NetZero for Linux ?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:18:26 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NetZero for Linux ?
> I read that NIC (New Internet Computer), the company that sells internet
> boxes for $200, comes with NetZero preinstalled.
> I went to NetZero web site, but I was not able to find the download for
> Linux.

My take:

http://x73.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=715294734&CONTEXT=980993752.1055588420&hitnum=0

Or "power" search deja.com for "netzero" and [EMAIL PROTECTED] as
the author.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Jan 2001 20:22:03 -0600

  Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:45:30 GMT, wrote :

HG> In article <95a4qf$fgp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
HG>  Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
HG> >I don't get this.  I am trying out various bibliography style files.
HG> >I have downloaded a number of them from the web and saved them to my
HG> >/usr/share/texmf/bibtex/bst/base directory.  No matter which of these
HG> >bst files I try to use for generating my bibliography in a latex
HG> >document, it ALWAYS fails.
HG>
HG> I may be dead wrong, and there maybe someone to answer this in
HG> comp.os.linux.misc. However, I think you'd get a much quicker answer to
HG> this if you ask it in comp.text.tex.

You need to run 'mktexlsr' if/when you add stuff to the /usr/share/texmf
tree.  This rebuilds the directory list database, which all of the tex
code uses to find stuff.

--
                                     \/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: what is ld-linux.so
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:29:10 GMT

Jim Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, all wrote:
>>i'm not sure is it ld-linux.so or id-linux.so
>>it took 92% of my cpu usage while i'm online.
>>help plzzz
>  ld-linux.so is the main Linux shared library loader.
>  All normal statically linked programs are linked against
>  ld-linux.so which contains the code to resolve, locate and
>  manage loading

Correct.

>  As far seeing an unusual load from ld-linux.so... I'd be very
>  suspicious of this activity.  I would *NEVER* expect ld-linux.so
>  to be executing as a separate binary (so no normal process should
>  have that for its name nor as it's executable image).

It might not be a problem. I'm running Mandrake 7.1 with the Netscape
4.73 that came with it.

For some reason, Netscape shows up as ld-linux.so:

jbuchana@zaphod$ ps auxw | grep [l]inux
jbuchana 15011  0.0  5.6 23048 14712 ?       S    15:52   0:13
/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/i386-gl

Remember that any program in Unix/Linux can claim to be whatever you
want, they can change their apparent names continuously while they are
running, for that matter. Why the people at Netscape caused/allowed
this particular situation, I don't know.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================
"All netted together in a web over the world, a global nervous system, an
 octopus of data. There'd been plenty of hype about it. It was easy to make
 it seem transcendently incredible." -Bruce Sterling, 1987

From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Second NIC question
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:39:57 -0800

I'm going to be setting up DSL on my Linux machine running Mandrake 7.2
2.2.x kernel.  I'm using a 3Com 509 card (eth0) for connecting to the
home network.  For the DSL the gave me a Kingston KNE111TX PCI card
(eth1) to go to the external modem.  Two questions, on the new card that
I assigned eth1 to I guessed it needs it's own IP address so I assigned
it one but does it need it's own domain name, or host name?  I use
linuxconf to set up the cards and one of the entries at the top is
'primary host + domain'.  For eth0 I have my machine name.  I didn't
know what to put in eth1 so I left it blank but should I have a hostname
in there?

Also on the Kingston card I didn't know which kernel module to use.  I
looked around on the net and saw that the tulip driver was suppose to
work with that card so I tried that one and it works. (it brings up the
eth1 interface, haven't connected anything to it yet) Is that the best
driver I should be using for this card?

TIA

------------------------------

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with wget
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:45:37 +0800

i try to access a page with wget but it doesn's seems to work. i think the
page has checked the type of browser such that wget is not supported. can
anyone suggest how to work around it? the output of wget is as follows:

wget -S http://www.forexnews.com/unsupported/readNA.asp?f=N20010131E.mgn
--10:43:19--
http://www.forexnews.com:80/unsupported/readNA.asp?f=N20010131E.mgn
           => `readNA.asp?f=N20010131E.mgn'
Connecting to proxy.cuhk.edu.hk:8080... connected!
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
2 Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
3 Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:41:12 GMT
4 Location: /browser.asp
6 Content-Type: text/html
7 Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDGGQGGMAC=EIBBMGECECKGLFDCJHFHKHAL; path=/
8 Cache-Control: private
10 X-Cache: MISS from earth.csc.cuhk.edu.hk
11 Proxy-Connection: close
12
Location: /browser.asp [following]
/browser.asp: Unknown/unsupported protocol.