Linux-Misc Digest #564, Volume #18               Mon, 11 Jan 99 02:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Chris Wolfe)
  Redhat Installation (Scallica)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Sean Maguire)
  Re: hard drive space ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: StarOffice 50 , where to get? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Redhat Installation (Walter Strong)
  Re: Haverhill, Mass. area: ISP recommendations? (Frank Sweetser)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (DaZZa)
  Linux users group in New Orleans? (Andy Johnson)
  Re: Missing memory:Works now ("(BXTC)")
  Re: Games (Chris Welch)
  Re: Missing memory:Works now (Chris Welch)
  Opinions on Applixware (Jim Heffner)
  glint errors (Kyle Maxwell)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (DaZZa)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (DaZZa)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Sean Maguire)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Sean Maguire)
  Re: [Famous Finn] Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help  (Chris Wolfe)
  Re: Star Office Installation help needed ! (C Y Lan)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (Sean Maguire)
  Re: Bob's Ignorance -- Or Is It Flamebait? (Michael Fleming)
  Re: Eudora for Linux is a good idea - Use Balsa (Wayne Schuller)
  connecting to the internet (G. G. Flatman)
  Re: Downloading large files, Re: good office package for linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ISO encoding in the console (Michael Powe)

From: Chris Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:11:02 -0500

Amen, in the last three months I got to format three schools worth of
idiot proof boxes. The better idiot: the board technician that paid 40+
bucks a pop to have a security program installed on the machines, spent
a week trying to get it to work, and then refused to give the schools
the password.

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Redhat Installation
Date: 11 Jan 1999 05:45:20 GMT

Hey,

Is it possible to install Redhat 5.2 on a 200meg hard drive? All I basically
need is telnet, ftp, apache, samba (maybe X). I tried setting up the partitions
but I keep running out of space during package installation. Any ideas? Thanx.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Maguire)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:39:26 GMT

<grin>  I told you, the support is the coolest for Linux.
After a few weeks of trying, you'll be pretty good.

--
__________________________
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: hard drive space
Date: 11 Jan 1999 05:54:04 GMT

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-> Simple question...how do I get the partition info (i.e. how much free
-> space do I have) in Linux? RedHat 5.1...thanks!

Just type:

  df

at the prompt.  It'll also show you which directories are mounted on which
partitions.

Simeon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: StarOffice 50 , where to get?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 03:47:32 GMT

Try www.stardivision.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: Redhat Installation
Date: 11 Jan 1999 05:59:44 GMT

Scallica ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hey,

: Is it possible to install Redhat 5.2 on a 200meg hard drive? All I basically
: need is telnet, ftp, apache, samba (maybe X). I tried setting up the partitions
: but I keep running out of space during package installation. Any ideas? Thanx.

You can get the above out of Slackware on a 200meg drive, but as for
Redhat, I don't know.  So why did I post anyway?  I don't know.

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Haverhill, Mass. area: ISP recommendations?
Date: 10 Jan 1999 23:31:42 -0500

Colin Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can anyone recommend a Linux-friendly dialup ISP in the Haverhill Mass.
> area? TIA!

welp, we used World for a couple of years, with good results.  straight
PPP, good service, rarely got a busy line.  however, i know that MediaOne
just got cable modems all throughout the Merrimack Valley.  my parents have
had one for a few months, it's worked out pretty well so far.  get your
address via plain DHCP.  ip masq works nicely (but don't tell mediaone i
said so =)

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:48:26 +1100

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Omni=B2 wrote:

> thanks anyway
> I tried it but it said permission denied
> it even says it when i go to dev/hda
> or cd /dev/hda
>=20
> I mean what kind of OS dosent allow the owner access to his/her hd??
> please tell me

When you logon to your much vaunted Win98 machine, do you type

cd /device/disk/ide0

to get there?

No, you don't.

Why then do you assume you do the same with Linux?

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Linux users group in New Orleans?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:41:56 -0600

Does anyone know if there is a Linux users group in the New Orleans
area?

Andy Johnson

------------------------------

From: "(BXTC)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Missing memory:Works now
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:36:47 -0500

(BXTC) wrote:

> Hi,
> I am running RedHat 5.1 3.0.34 and I had 64m ram running on a P166MMX.
> I recently took 36m ram more out of another machine and installed it
> into this one.  When I boot it reads 96m ram so I figured it was all
> working fine.  I was disappointed when I didn't see any performance
> enhancement.  Recently I ran top and saw that it only showed 64
> available.  Then I ran free and it showed the same.  Does anyone know
> what I have done wrong/or didn't do?  Do I have to read some kind of
> programs to tell linux I have more memory than when I installed it? This
> is my first memory upgrade in linux so I am working on little
> experience.  Thanks for your time/and hopefully your response,

This is a followup just so anyone folloing the thread or seing this
later on Dejanews will see how I got this...

I had to add the line
append="mem=96M"
 to my /etc/lilo.conf file but BEFORE anything esle (unlike Chris Welch
said).  Also make sure after you change the file to type "lilo" at the
command prompt before rebooting, otherwise it will not work.  So here is
my lilo.conf for reference...

append="mem=96M"
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda11
        read-only

I hope that helps someone out.
 --
Towering genius disdains a beaten path.  It seeks regions hitherto
unexplored.

(BXTC) ICQ# 23289202

------------------------------

From: Chris Welch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Games
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:36:03 -0600

David Tomayko wrote:

> What games are out there for Linux?

Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake 2, Sin, emulators (for console games), a lot
of X games, and more.

--
/----------------------------------------------------------\
|               http://www.chaotic42.cx                    |

From: Chris Welch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:40:27 -0600

"(BXTC)" wrote:

> (BXTC) wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I am running RedHat 5.1 3.0.34 and I had 64m ram running on a P166MMX.
> > I recently took 36m ram more out of another machine and installed it
> > into this one.  When I boot it reads 96m ram so I figured it was all
> > working fine.  I was disappointed when I didn't see any performance
> > enhancement.  Recently I ran top and saw that it only showed 64
> > available.  Then I ran free and it showed the same.  Does anyone know
> > what I have done wrong/or didn't do?  Do I have to read some kind of
> > programs to tell linux I have more memory than when I installed it? This
> > is my first memory upgrade in linux so I am working on little
> > experience.  Thanks for your time/and hopefully your response,
> >

> This is a followup just so anyone folloing the thread or seing this
> later on Dejanews will see how I got this...
>
> I had to add the line
> append="mem=96M"
>  to my /etc/lilo.conf file but BEFORE anything esle (unlike Chris Welch
> said).  Also make sure after you change the file to type "lilo" at the
> command prompt before rebooting, otherwise it will not work.  So here is
> my lilo.conf for reference...
>
> append="mem=96M"
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hda11
>         read-only
>
> I hope that helps someone out.

Here is a copy of my lilo.conf:

===============================
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdb2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        append="mem=128M"
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1
        label=win
        table=/dev/hda

image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage
        label=test
        append="mem=128M"
        read-only

=====================================

Works just fine. Does it vary from dist. to dist?
--
/----------------------------------------------------------\

From: Jim Heffner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Opinions on Applixware
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:29:00 +0000

I've installed Staroffice 5.0, but the maddening registration process,
along with the incredible slowness of the software, have motivated me to
look at alternatives. If anyone who has used Applix (or even both),
could offer their honest opinion, I'd be interested in hearing what you
have to say.

Thanks.

Jim

------------------------------

From: Kyle Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: glint errors
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:21:13 -0600

When trying to install/uninstall packages on a RedHat 5.1 distribution,
glint often gives me this error:

failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

What does this mean? How can I fix it? I've seen the exact same message
when using rpm from the command line, if that helps any. Is there other
info needed before this tells anybody anything?

--
Kyle Maxwell
The Beam

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:45:21 +1100

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Omni=B2 wrote:

> >Can we help it if you can't read the manual, or any of the
> >documentation?
>
> yeah?
> show me where in the help or man commands
> it tells you how to create a text file

man vi
man pico
man joe
man emacs

All of those seem to manage.

> and  how to access the cd rom as root , after instalation?

man mount

> win98 has no trouble doing 10 things at once on my system

Bzzzt. but thanks for playing anyway.

Unless you have a multiprocessor system with 10 processors on the
motherboard, your PC does not do 10 things at once.

Despite whatever illusion you may have.

Win98 timeslices. It does not multitask. no processor based on Intel's x86
structures can truely multitask.

Win98 just timeslices worse than most operating systems on the market.

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:49:49 +1100

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Maguire)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:27:36 GMT

You know, everyone who reads your posts is now stupider.
And if you know how to set up X, it looks alot better then your
VCR.  Tip: 320x300 mode is NOT what you want ;)

--
__________________________
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Maguire)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:29:59 GMT

Hehehe..Time for your next lesson.  When you don't understand
a command, type man <command name> and be enlightned

Also, i'd recommand going to the libary and reading a basic UNIX based
system management book.  You need to learn like the basics of how
Linux works.  It's nothing like microsoft products.

--
__________________________
---

From: Chris Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:04:08 -0500

Hmm... conflicting information here. Our dear friend claims to have
written device drivers, created an operating system, and produced
interpreters. But is completely unaware of redirection? I hope he
discovered pipelines at some point, or Linux is going to be rough...

Note: no usage of the word liar, I am not trying to imply anything.

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Y Lan)
Crossposted-To: jaring.pcbase
Subject: Re: Star Office Installation help needed !
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:57:35 GMT

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:26:06 +0800, "goolias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Well, there I go in that subdir, then I type setup,
>funny though, RedHat configurator pop up ( I'm in
>console mode ), seem like I'm invoking RedHat system configurator coz I saw
>Xconfigurator included at the menu.

the easiest way is to use the file manager.
browse to the folder
double click setup
voila ! just like win95.

but remember to get the registration number first at
www.stardivision.com.
it's free and the so5 will work for 3 months
then register again for unlimited personal use.

Bye.

CY Lan's personal email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sales : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website : http://www.interplay.com.my
Interplay Systems Sdn Bhd
No.2, 2nd Floor, Lorong 8/1E,46050 P.Jaya.
Tel:03-7545215  Fax :03-7548667
H/Phone : 012-3823258
Unit 35, LL2.15-20, Peregrine IT Centre,
Sunway Pyramid, Selangor. Tel:03- 5822580

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Maguire)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:34:37 GMT

>I guess I was just too lazy to learn another set of commands
>who wants to go through dweeb stage again?
>hell I dont

;)  Neither did I, but if you know HOW a computer works and spend some
time with it, you can have a GOOD grasp of linux in no time at all.
I mean, i've been using it for three weeks.  I have my own local
network, domain name, newsgroup and mail working great, all
kinds of games and extras, and it's not THAT bad.   Just gotta
be patient with learning something new.

>thanks for the guys who put up with my shit and soldiered on
>with the cause ,
>I appreciate all the advice
>but I'm not one to get info from a other users
>I  have to do it the hard way
>like I have done everything else

Well, one of the great things about Linux is the fact that there
is a GOOD support group.  Users.  I learned 10% of what I know from
manuals, 20% from screwing it up time and again until i figured
it out, and 70% from other people here and over IRC on #linux.

--
__________________________
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Fleming)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bob's Ignorance -- Or Is It Flamebait?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 03:44:06 GMT

------------------------------

From: Wayne Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Eudora for Linux is a good idea - Use Balsa
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:29:24 +1100

hi,

As soon as gnome is released i'm moving from Eudora to Balsa.

It's going to be a very good graphical email client, and part of the
excellent gnome project.

See www.gnome.org, and www.balsa.net

ta,
wayne

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. G. Flatman)
Subject: connecting to the internet
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:36:16 GMT

hello i can get minicom to connect to my isp and i can get a PPP login
but when i type the following in the modem hangs up "pppd -d -detach
/dev/modem 38400 &" can some one help me please.
--
George Flatman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Downloading large files, Re: good office package for linux
Date: 11 Jan 1999 06:46:13 GMT

Walter Strong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi.  This is off topic (and I can't answer the last question) but...what
> do the "(1)"'s refer to aafter "split" and "cat"?
> Thanks.

They refer to sections of the man pages:

    Section  Topic
    -------  ---------------------
       1     User programs
       2     System calls