From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.77  *after*  Netscape 6.01 ?!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:43:40 GMT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:53:35 GMT, paranormalized
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:17:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wrote:

> On really large .jpgs, if you scroll up and down sometimes it'll make
> the parts that you scrolled off-screen turn into this mess of black
> and white static.

I'll have to try that.  Got an example URL?  You might want to enter a
bug report in any case.

> Well, I was under the impression that the *expensive* Lucent PCI
> modems cost more was 'cause they did it right, and put the processing
> circuitry on the modem itself.

Some PCI modems are "real" modems, yes.  That's what you want.  If you
are into gaming, you want the modem to do the modem work, not your CPU.

> And that that was the reason it was among the first Linmodems...

Those modems have a DSP, but still use the host to do the compression
and other functions.  They are better than some, performance is less
dependent on cpu load than with modems that make the host do all the
DSP functions, but they still have the driver issues with upgrades and
still take some CPU power.

> thus, the Lucent chipset has all the advantages of a PCI modem
> (theoretically better ping times on latency-dependent games possible)
> and none of the disadvantages...

PCI doesn't necessarily help ping times.  The modem is so much slower
than the computer bus, even an IDE one, that making the bus faster does
not have a significant impact.  Of course, lots of newer computers
don't have ISA slots any more.

What does make a difference is moving processing into the modem so that
the host can devote more time to processing IP packets and running your
game and less to modem housekeeping.  Basically, a properly set up
external modem connected to a buffered serial port is going to give you
the best performance you can get.  A real full-function internal modem
will be equivalent, of course.

In fact, the so-called "gaming modems" are often a real modem, just
like we had in the days before Winmodems.  They'll generally work fine
under Linux without a special driver.  Funny how what used to be
standard has become the special high-performance version.

There are also some things you can do to any modem to reduce latency at
the expense of throughput.  For instance, you can turn off compression
and use a smaller block size for error correction.

> Well, if I'm really lucky I'll go Broadband in the next couple months,
> and skip the whole need for a modem of any kind...

That'd be cool.  One of these days they might get to me...

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: =?EUC-KR?Q?=CA=D8=BE=D1=B5=C3=EC_Faarungsang?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrecord and LG CD-RW CED-8080B
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:49:54 +0700

I used exactly same LG CD-RW CED-8080B for 1 year long w/o problem.
I think your problem come from your blank CD quality because it can write
only at speed 4x while I can write at speed 8x w/o problem.

regards,
zxc

=CA=D8=BE=D1=B5=C3=EC =BF=E9=D2=C3=D8=E8=A7=CA=D2=A7 (supat faarungsang)   =
 Kasetsart Univ., Nakorn Pathom,
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://sss.agri.kps.ku.ac.th/
office: (034)351892  home: (034)351843                   fax: (02)5791120
mobile: (01)4127930                            lab:(034)281053-6 ext 3434
=A4=C7=D2=C1=B4=D5=A4=B9=E0=C3=D2=B9=D5=E8=B4=D5=E3=B4 =B4=D5=B9=D3=E9=E3=
=A8 =B7=D5=E8=E3=CB=E9=E1=A1=E8=A4=B9=B7=D1=E9=A7=BB=C7=A7                 =
         :)

------------------------------

From: Static <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sending voice to a modem
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:22:48 GMT

JF Bertrand wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need to write a program the will call a number and play a message.
>
> I need to find out how to connect to the modem, put the modem in voice
> mode, route the sound card to the modem and play the message. I will
> also need to modem to keep the line open for DTMF after the connection
> is made.
>
> Where can I start, is there a linux book on com programming? Or program
> that already does that. Can I make the initial connection using chat?
>
> Pleae help me

Sending the same message three times to two different groups in less than
11 minutes... why? - and you can't even correct the spelling mistakes.

1. The correct commands for putting the modem into voice mode should be
listed in your modem's manual somewhere, and you probably could use chat to
send it, or just redirect to your serial port.

2. As for the sending the audio data to/through the modem - you got me,
hopefully someone else can field that one.

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid login tricks (/etc/issue question)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:23:40 GMT

I see that /etc/inittab has /sbin/mingetty set to load in tty1-6, can I
replace mingetty with something else?  maybe something that will show
the colours easier than figuring out vi =) ?

--
================================
Jeffrey Bacon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Protecting symbolic links from deletion
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:37:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl) writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Within a given user owned public_html folder, I provide a symbolic link
> >to the user's cgi-bin directory.  From time to time, this link is
> >inadvertantly deleted by the user.  This, in turn, results in a support
> >call to my desk to recreate the link.
> >
> >Is there a way to prevent symbolic links from being deleted by the
> >user.  My research suggests that chmod affects only the target directory
> >of file of a link.  This is logical.  But how can one prevent deletion
> >of the sybolic link, itself?
> [-]
> Short reply -- you can't. You can change the ownership of a symbolic
> link on Linux though, not valid for all Unices, but as long as your
> users have write permissions to the directory the link resides in or
> the permissions are not 1777 for the directory they still can rm it.

> Still chown may be enough for rm is at least going to ask, rm -f
> aside, and this can be enough to make people think "oops".

A workable answer may be to set up a daemon that runs, periodically,
and checks permission/existance of the files that Must Be Configured
In Some Particular Way.

It might happen via a shell script; to do this more comprehensively,
the appropriate tool to use is probably cfengine.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org")
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Life-expectancy of Linux vs BSD
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:38:07 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hypothetically, if Linus Torvalds died, became ill, incarcerated, or became
> unable to program, then would Linux die?  What happends when Linus Torvalds
> gets too old to continue development?
> BSD is maintained by a panel of committers, and members may leave or stay,
> and if need be, new members can be added to the group.  Life or death of
> BSD is not dependent on a single individual.  So in theory, BSD development
> can continue indefinitely.  Linux, on the other hand, has a "built-in
> expiration"; Linus Torvalds will not live forever.

This represents a situation that somewhat parallels that of monarchy
versus the republic.  Both forms of governance have proved reasonably
resiliant over the centuries.

The British Empire never faded out of existance due to the death of a
monarch; if Linus Torvalds "fades out of the picture," this is _not_
likely to result in longstanding disaster.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getty replacement?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:57:05 GMT

is there a replacement for getty/mingetty that will interpret ansi
colour escape sequences and display /etc/issue & /etc/motd with colours?
--
================================
Jeffrey Bacon

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tty7,8,...?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:58:17 GMT

right now only F1-F6 bring up new virtual consoles, can I get F7-F12 to
work?
--
================================
Jeffrey Bacon

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tomcat experience
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:01:16 GMT

anyone have any Tomcat 3.2.1 experience that I could draw on?

I need Tomcat to start on boot but it's not working with a
'TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat.sh start' call in my rc.local -- it seems to
need a manual startup in a console so it can direct error messages to
that console on which it was started.
--
================================
Jeffrey Bacon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: getty replacement?
Date: 19 Apr 2001 23:10:22 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeffrey J. Bacon wrote:
>is there a replacement for getty/mingetty that will interpret ansi
>colour escape sequences and display /etc/issue & /etc/motd with colours?

i think you are looking in the wrong place.  check out the utilities for
keyboard and video handling.  getty doesn't do any more than establish
a connection to the terminal and start up a user session

--

hs

"The cheapest pride is national pride.  I demonstrates the lack of
characteristics and achievements you can be proud of.  The worst loser
can have national pride"  - Schopenhauer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: tty7,8,...?
Date: 19 Apr 2001 23:13:43 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeffrey J. Bacon wrote:
>right now only F1-F6 bring up new virtual consoles, can I get F7-F12 to
>work?

do you have X installed?  usually it grabs tty7 (actually, the first free
tty).  tty1 - tty6 are grabbed to invocations of getty in /etc/inittab.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Igor4584)
Subject: Argh, Linux 2.4.0 does not boot!
Date: 20 Apr 2001 03:30:28 GMT

I have a linux system with a number of 2.2.* kernels. (in /boot)
they all work fine. I also added a newly compiled 2.4.0. kernel
in /vmlinuz.

When I try to boot it, lilo says "uncompressing kernel............"
and then it hangs.

Any help will be appreciated.

igor

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tomcat experience
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:31:31 -0700

"Jeffrey J. Bacon" wrote:

> anyone have any Tomcat 3.2.1 experience that I could draw on?
>
> I need Tomcat to start on boot but it's not working with a
> 'TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat.sh start' call in my rc.local -- it seems to
> need a manual startup in a console so it can direct error messages to
> that console on which it was started.
> --
> ================================
> Jeffrey Bacon
> ================================
> Administrator,   Breakfast.ca
> Student,         Carleton U.
> Java Programmer, Extrordinaire!
> --------------------------------
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.breakfast.ca/~jjbacon

I'm running Tomcat 4 now, but I used to run 3.2.  I haven't run
it manually from a .sh script for a while, but I think when I
did, I ran something like startup.sh which then called tomcat.sh.

On RedHattish boxes, after an rpm install there is a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d which does the trick.  Has for me, anyhow, for
quite a while.

You just do, say, "chkconfig --level 2345 tomcat on", then
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat start".  This starts it up one time in
the current run level; and on next boot it will automatically
start in levels 2,3,4,5.

I don't like to run Tomcat all the time, so I have a bunch of
aliases in .bashrc to start and stop it, and also to take me to
the servlet and jsp directories that I use (in ROOT):

# 10-31-00 Tomcat paths
alias tom='cd /var/tomcat4/webapps/ROOT'
alias tomcl='cd /var/tomcat4/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes'
alias tstart='/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start'
alias tstop='/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 stop'

HTH. Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch     Berkeley CA USA    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:35:39 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charles Lyttle
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:33:15 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Greg Cox wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> The version of the story I heard was that the first ship of a new class
> >> of Navy ship was out testing a new ship's control system programmed
> >> using a custom database running on NT4 and the DB software crashed, not
> >> NT.  I believe the story goes that the captain said in his report that
> >> the DB software crashed a couple of times and was successfully restarted
> >> but the ship was towed in on the third crash with the system left in its
> >> crashed state for later analysis by the developers...
> >>
> >> --
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Essentially the version that was posted here. The DB crash, iirc, was
> >due to the cook entering too many items in a dinner menu. This crashed
> >the DB, the DB took down NT. It got restarted without anyone knowing why
> >it crashed, the cook did it again. When it crashed, it took out
> >propulsion. On the third try, the Captain decided to call for a tow
> >until the problem could be solved.
> >
> >One joke was that it should be intuitive that entering 4 entrees in the
> >dinner menu will shutdown the ships propulsion. The Navy fixed the
> >problem by making a new regulation prohibiting more than 3 entrees at a
> >meal.
>
> Oh man...what a way to solve a problem!
>
> I hadn't been aware that it was the cook putting in too many entrees
> that was causing the database to crash.  Reminds me of the old song
> (poem?) about the lack of a horse's shoenail causing loss of a battle...
>
> OTOH, a database crashes when it will -- one hopes very infrequently,
> but how does one specify that a DB will crash when, say, a scratch page
> fills up and gets flushed out to a disk that's already full?
> One also hopes that next time the Navy designs a slightly more robust
> system that won't go down every time the DB server decides to powder
> its nose.
>
> (One would also think that the propulsion DB system and the cook's
> DB system were on different systems.  Like the cooks' DB system is
> ultra-critical to ship's operation -- he could write things down on
> index cards or paper notebooks if he had to.  Note quite as convenient
> of course, but certainly not life-threatening.)

A lot of military cooks aren't the brightest individuals.

In the army, those who aren't smart enough to be riflemen are sent
away to be a cook.

Mind you there smart cooks in the army...but they have to put up with
a disproportionate number of idiots.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer