Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:34:23 +0800
From: Chiu Pat Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on Sparc

Hi,

I am new in Linux and I have a SUN Sparc IPX workstation and want to
install the Redhat 5.2 in it.  As long as I followed the installation
proceduce, it seems alright untill the installation of the boot loader
(i.e. SILO).  I can't proceed any more, can anyone suggest how to do
this.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Pat-ho CHIU

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim G)
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 06:56:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Apparently you haven't been listening. Windows is UNSTABLE. It
>chrashes and locks up all the time, anytime. You can tweak it all you

  Which windows?  If you are talking about Win 9x, I would agree with
  you completely.  If you are talking about Win NT, I will disagree.  The
  technology in Win 9x and win NT is vastly different even though they
  "look" the same.

  Win 9x is based on DOS and Win 3x with improvements ported from
  Win NT.  Win NT is a very solid core overlaid with virtual machines
  (something the IBM main frames have had for years).

>want, it's still gonna crash, (unless you have access to the source
>code and you can tweak the kernel). Usually, when your almost done

  It has been my experience that the folks at MS have done a pretty
  good job of optimizing the kernel on Win NT.  When folks get in and start
  tweaking the registry (because they know better than the folks at MS), they
  usually screw up the machine.

  Although Linux folks seem to think that they are the only experts around,
  the folks at MS are no dummies.  MS runs most of their business on
  Win NT.  If it doesn't work right, they have to fix it or their own internal
  operations suffer.  Just as the phone companies used unix internally
  and greatly improved the code, MS does the same thing for Win NT.
  Not only that, but MS has some very big customers that have paid them
  a lot of money for Win NT - if they scream loud, MS listens - remember
  MS is a commercial company, it doesn't want to make their biggest
  customers unhappy or they might loose their business.

>with your work, the whole OS, not just the app, will go into a coma
>from which ONLY a reBOOT in the ass will bring it back, and then it
>comes back with amnesia and can't remember where or what your data
>was. A worthy OS should be able to RECOVER from an application crash,
>not die with it!

  I can not remember ever having an app take out Win NT.  I have been using
  Win NT on my production systems since I got an NT 3.0 alpha copy from MS -
  long before it was available publicly.

  I have nothing against Linux.  I think it is a great OS and definitely has
  its place in the spectrum of computing tools available to solve problems.
  I just have a hard time with folks that spread lies about Win NT.  Most
  people that use Win NT find it very stable.  My son leaves his system on for
  months at a time (I know because I looked at the log file when I added some
  hardware to it over winter break).

  Jim G.

  Yes, I run win NT systems, but I also use Linux systems where appropriate.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loose Nut)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:24:31 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:27:51 -0500, "Joshua Schaeffer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>The Mac's GUI is *still* the GUI to beat.
>

>Right up until the point where you want to do something useful.  The Mac's
>GUI is such a kludge when it comes to heavy use that I shiver at the thought
>of being forced to use it again.  A lot of Unix machines are just as bad.
>Right now I'm throwing my cards into Windows 2000's deck (but that's not to
>say that it's without need of here-and-there tweaking).

Apparently you haven't been listening. Windows is UNSTABLE. It
chrashes and locks up all the time, anytime. You can tweak it all you
want, it's still gonna crash, (unless you have access to the source
code and you can tweak the kernel). Usually, when your almost done
with your work, the whole OS, not just the app, will go into a coma
from which ONLY a reBOOT in the ass will bring it back, and then it
comes back with amnesia and can't remember where or what your data
was. A worthy OS should be able to RECOVER from an application crash,
not die with it!

Yeah, Linux isn't in Windows 9X's class, it's way above.

Loose Nut

"Monetary systems cannot exist without poverty."

------------------------------

From: Shani Oren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No lex on S.u.s.e how come?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:26:44 +0200

I can't find it anyware, although bison is there...

Also, I saw somewhere that flex should arrive with s.u.s.e... but I
can't find it either?

Anyone knows where it is, or form where I can ftp it?

Tnx,

O.S.

------------------------------

From: Ed Nather <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cut and Paste hotkeys ?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:19:08 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can I, like in Windows, use hotkeys like Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V for cut and
> paste ? How can I setup these keys ?

> Answers please in this newsgroup!

If you are using vim as the editor, you can define hotkeys using the
"map" and "imap" commands in a startup file, named ".vimrc".  You can
do lots of stuff to make vim more friendly, particularly in "insert"
mode.  I spent quite a bit of time on my .vimrc file, and I can do
most things I want to do in either "insert" or "command" mode, with the
same keystrokes.  It's not perfect, but it does do hotkey cut & paste
in either mode.  I can send a copy of the file if anyone wants it.
WARNING: it contains control and escape codes, which can get munged in
transfer; I guess I could compress it and send it as an encoded binary
file ...

Anyway, here are the commands I use for cut & paste, using F3 to mark,
F4 to cut, and F5 to paste:

"F3, Shift-F3: Mark to cut: by lines, by characters
map  ESC[13~ V
map  ESC[[C  V
imap ESC[13~ ^OV
imap ESC[[C  ^OV
map  ESC[25~ v
imap ESC[25~ ^Ov

"F4, Shift-F4: Delete or yank marked text
map  ESC[14~ d
map  ESC[[D  d
map  ESC[26~ y

"F5, Shift-F5: Paste text before, after cursor
map  ESC[15~ P
map  ESC[[E  P
imap ESC[15~ ^OP
imap ESC[[E ^OP
map  ESC[28~   p
imap ESC[28~ ^Op

The "map" commands work in command mode, the imap commands in
insert mode.

ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: My partition choice
Date: 17 Jan 1999 09:38:35 GMT

Frank Hale  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Floyd Davidson wrote:
>> Frank Hale  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >I have 128 megs of ram and I have never got it to use the swap and I
>> >usually a ton of apps opened.
>> >

>> Play around with editing images a little, and watch it go to work!
>>
>> Gimp or Imagemagick are both quite capable of checking out your swap
>> for you.  Xv probably won't do anything that goes over 100Mb though,
>> so you could use it all day long and with 128Mb of RAM and probably
>> not start swapping unless  you view a dozen images at once.
>>

>Works great for what I do and I do grafix on Gimp all the time. You
>should see my NT box at work I swear that stupid things HD just spins
>all day long swapping data. Well it spins until I have to reboot it
>cause it crashed. But thats another story......

Then you probably *have* had it start swapping with Linux too.  But
the difference is that Linux works, won't crash, and you won't even
be aware that it's been using swap space.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Robert J. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: X-terminal setup for remote clients on Linux?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:23:37 -0600

> NO!!  Use ``man Xsecurity'' as a starting point.  Choose xhost if necessary
> but xhost + is the silliest thing you can do.

Absolutely!  Instead of 'xhost +', specify an IP address or set of
addresses.  Only accept X connections from sites that you know and
trust.  Doing anything else is analogous to standing outside your house
and telling everyone who passes, "I'm going to be leaving on vacation in
a few days, and incidentally, I'm not locking the doors."

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.2.0pre7 boot error that won't go away
Date: 16 Jan 1999 18:10:33 GMT

I have 2.2.0pre7 loaded on my RedHat 5.2 box and everything is good
except -

I get the following errors on boot

Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Cannot find map file.
Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.

I know other people who have the same errors but seems noone can tell me
how to fix it.

Anyone else have the same error messages?

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

"Excuse my english I went to a US public school"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vegard Engen)
Subject: Re: Apache with ASP
Date: 16 Jan 1999 13:12:11 GMT

On 6 Jan 1999 16:18:59 -0800,
  Sam E. Trenholme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Nothing as far as I know.  However one of my clients wants to use ASP.
>
>Looks like, until chilisoft makes a Linux port, you will have to either
>see if the ASP stuff can be made in to CGI-BINs, or use a non-Linux
>solution.

PHP is a viable alternative to ASP - it offers the same functionality. I have
even seen tools to translate ASP to PHP, lately.

- Vegard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 16 Jan 1999 17:06:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Richard Steiner wrote:
>
>> Largely, yes.  :-)  At least in the home desktop space.  Games are a
>> lot less important in other contexts.  But they DO drive OS popularity
>> (at least on the desktop).
>
>Is there any good guess on the ratio "home computers" / "business
>desktops" (assuming the latter won't be equiped with games ?

With platforms like the Sony Playstaion, does this even matter anymore?

------------------------------

From: "Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win98/Redhat 5.1 - Partitioning HD probs - Very Newbie :)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:19:09 +0100

    I'm having problems installing Redhat v5.1 on a Dell 450Mhz, 12.9GB HD,
128 MB RAM.

    I have downloaded fips.exe v2.0 and 'cut' the disk into 8.389GB and 4GB.

    While running the Linux boot disk in the installation routine, I get to
setting up the Linux partition. (pg 50 in the manual :)
    My installation looks something like this (in Redhat's own partitioning
thingy):

    Current Disk Partitions:
    Mount Point  Requested  Actual  Type
    hda1.........8393M......8393M...0x0c
    hda2.........4000M......4000M...0x0f

    Drive Summaries:
    Drive  Geom[C/H/S]    Total  Used   Free
    hda    [1024/255/63]  8032M  12393  -4361

    In fdisk [expert mode] the listing of partitions WARNS that partition 1
and 2 overlap!! Is this bad?

    Hi,

    I am running win95 and RedHat 5.1. I use lilo to choose wich one to
boot. I have a 6.4 GB Quantum Fireball with 5 partitions

    1: Primary (16BIT) for booting windows and liloboot.

    2: Extended partition for windows stuff. (fat32)

    3: Native partition for linux

    4: Swap partition for linux

    5: Extended partition for burning CDROMS.

    I used diskbruid because fdisk gave me problems. The only thing i can't
get to work is my second HD. That one is completely extended and fat32.

    Maybe diskbruid will work for you?

    Good luck..

------------------------------

From: Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SpreadSheets
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:30:04 GMT

Are there any Spreadsheet programs out there for Linux?

------------------------------

From: charn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing with StarOffice 5
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:17:01 -0800

I am having problems printing to my HP OfficeJet 570 in StarOffice 5. Mainly,
it just won't print! I know the printer works beacuse I printed out a test page
in printtool fine. Anyone know how to fix this? I really don't want to go back
to Windows just beacuse I can't print.

Thanks,
Charn

PS- Please reply via e-mail ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sechylmanos)
Subject: Re: [Root@localhost /root#]  stuck.
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:17:29 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, cyberbabe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi..
> Got Linux installed...however during the install it only asked me my
> password and had to re-enter it again.  Now it's installed and
> booting...it's asking for Login..reading posts I figured out I can type
> Root and then the password that I initally used during installation.
> Everything worked except after typing the password, the "prompt" says
> [root@localhost /root#] .  I'm stuck  I dont know what number to type..I
> think I've tried entering everything in the book by que I bought..Please
> help..
>

> Login name???? Only a password...can't get in! Tried typing in Root and
> it accepted with password, however now it asked for LocalHost
> Login#...arrggh.
>
> Thanks..

Actually, if you have a prompt that looks like "[root@localhost /root#]",
you are already logged in.  The # sign is just a way for you to know that
you are logged in as a superuser (root).  If you are logged in as a
different user, it would look something like this "[user@localhost
/username$]".  The actual meaning of the prompt is like this:

root@localhost = This is the user that is currently logged in. Localhost
is the name of your computer if you didnt install networking capabilities
and configure them.

/root = This is the current directory you are browsing.  It is always your
home directory when you first log in, therefore it says "root" for you...

# -or- $ = Like I said above, these  are just prompts to let you know if
you are logged in as a normal user, or a superuser.  It doesn't want any
more login info at this point, it is just waiting for your commands...  If
you set up XWindows during your install, you can type startx at this
prompt and get into X.

I would recommend that you get a good linux install guide/configuration
guide.  This can be invaluable to a new user.

Hope this helps,

sechylmanos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Getting an ICQ Client Under Linux
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:24:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Mooneer Salem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Try getting the source instead of the RPM (the source's newer).
> > > Then go to the directory where you put the source and type:
> > >
> > > tar xvzf licq-0.50-alpha-3.tar.gz
> > > cd licq-0.50-alpha-3
> > > ./configure
> > > make
> > > make install
> >
> > So, I took your suggestions of getting the source, and it installed okay but
> > when I try and run it:
> >
> > licq: error in loading shared libraries
> > libstdc++.so.2.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >

> Do you have access to a RedHat cd? libstdc++ is right on the cd just
> install it. Or download it from ftp.redhat.com.

Well, I already had libstdc++-2.8.0-8.i386.rpm installed... so I tried
updating to the newest version which is libstdc++-2.8.0-14.i386.rpm The error
message still hasn't changed.... <sigh>

-Jordan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chetan Ahuja)
Subject: Re: where did shutdown go? I miss it!
Date: 17 Jan 1999 09:34:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I was trying to install the Mesa OpenGL work-alike and the make failed
: since, it claimed, some files were missing. I went to the offending
: directory to look and, lo and behold, there they were. Strange.
: Decided to reboot into Windows and surf the net for a while for info.

: When I tried to run shutdown, the system claimed there was "no such
: file or directory." So I went to /sbin and looked and there it was.

     Are you sure it is not a link to a non-existent file instead of
an actual file ( try  'ls -l |grep shutdown' ). The other thing that
could  stump beginners is that root doesn't have the current directory
in its path by default ( i.e. you run an executable in the current directory
by saying  './shutdown' instead of just 'shutdown') Usually root would
have '/sbin' in the path but if you get into the root account by just
doing 'su' you will retain all the settings or the orginal user you logged
in as... and oridinary users usually don't have /sbin in their paths.
The thing to do is 'su -' that changes all the settings to those
of the root user.

: I shut the power off.

   well.. you could try reboot, halt , poweroff etc..

: Of course, the result is that now it won't boot into Linux at all. It
: gripes about the file system and then says it can't even start a
: console.

  hmmm... this sounds strange. Even if you shut down badly, all
it should do is an fsck at boot... and that might be the source of
 gripe about the  filesystem... but in my experience its  very
rare to damage the file system irrepairably this way...
  What exactly is the message shown...

: What is the deal here? It took six months and three separate
: workarounds just to get Linux installed

   WOW!!! I know it can be a little hard to configure linux just the
way you want... but SIX MONTHS... what distro are you using... are you
using exotic  hardware of some kind ( and that should not hinder *installation*
unless you are using only scsi devices and have an unsupported scsi card
(which again would be a rare card). I installed redhat 5.2 in just
over  an hour (including the disk formating time..) I had trouble (later)
with LILO because of using a larger than 8.4G hard disk and insisting on
 bootingNT and linux off of separate IDE channels... but it worked in
the end. Compare this with NT which needs to control the MBR and all
other aspects of the booting to start ( or fooled into thinking that
it is controlling everything) Linux is much more flexible...

 Wait... I just went to dejanews and searched for your old postings..
(frightening.. is't it) you are using the promise card. Yes... that
is an unsupported or only recently  supported card with linux at the
moment. That would explain the difficulty...

::and now I have to go through
: that all again with no confidence that I won't have to do it monthly

  well.., my experience has been that linux is harder to get started with
initially as compared to windows but once you get it working it
to your satisaction (and learn some of its tricks)....  its a pleasure..
  in other words, it has a steeper learning curve but once you climb it,
 you end up at a higher plateau of experience. Apparently you have not
been able to get there yet...

: from now on. If this is stability, give me Windows. It may crash a lot
: but it is damned hard to get it to not boot.

  hmmm... the problem here is that hardware companies release new products
with only windows in mind... and they don't care whether their stuff works
with any other OS... This is liable to change as number of linux
installation grows to a point where it will be hard (and very unprofitable)
for them to ignore linux in th future....
 As far as your file system problems are concerned it could be a case
of newly supported hardware showing its rough edges...or maybe an
incomplete or inadvertantly damaged installation.. or simply innocence
with respect to use of su and paths... I'll suggest to stick
with it you will come to appreciate it once you get there...

  All the best
  Chetan

: Paul J. Camp

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux on a 286?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:18:44 GMT

Michael J. Waddell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I currently have Red Hat 5.1 running on a pentium -- a friend of mine has a 286
>that he is willing to give me.  I know that the minimum system requirements for
>red hat are 386 -- is there any way to put linux on a 286?  Or if not, are
>there any other os's that would work on a 286 (such as minix?) that would
>interface well with my linuxboxes (so that I can add it to my linux LAN)?

No, Linux will not run on a 286. It needs to have a CPU that can be
put into protected mode, which the 286 and its predecessors don't support.
You could, however, try ELKS (don't know about a webaddress, try DejaNews).
Or use plain DOS, and a simple terminal program to hookup your 286 to
your RH5.1 box. Minix would work as well.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu