Hello Linus, Chris,

On 11/12/2011 2:12 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Sebastian Rasmussen<seb...@gmail.com>  wrote:
[Giuseppe]
This patch enhances the debug information reported
for the mmc card by parsing the extended CSD registers
obviously according to all the current specifications.

Does this belong kernel or in userspace? I'm not sure, and
I'm hoping that any of the old-timers here chime in on it.
Anyway I supply you with a few comments on you patch
below...

Since it's in debugfs we can have it as verbose and whatever
weird structure we wish. Userspace tools usually don't
depend on debugfs ... except for some :-/ (see recent
ftrace vs perf debates etc etc)

To implement getting at this data in a future-proof way
from userspace we should put it in sysfs.

And if it was in sysfs we would have to follow the rule
"one value per file" with files named after each CSD/etc
field. Then to make that human-readable you would need
a userspace tool, and preferrably it should also be
documented in Documentation/ABI/testing/*

And nothing really prevents us from doing both :-)

Thanks for all advice and review, I've not clear if at this stage the patch will be added in mmc-next.

Just to summarize: the patch works in debugfs context so the parsing doesn't break the sys rules. I agree with Chris this has to be maintained for the next mmc standards but IMO we can pay this waiting for having both a user-space application (mmc-tool) and the ext_csd in /sys (after that the ext_csd in debugfs could be completely removed).

Let me know.

Best Regards
Giuseppe

Yours,