Jochen Reinwand wrote:

AutoScan=1 ; Can't remember what that option is good for...

If I remember correctly, that is used by Windows only to automatically scan disks at startup after a system crash or something. Not needed for plain dos.

Nevertheless it would be possible to make this distribution. But there are a lot of things that have to be figured out. A basic problem: Do we use a Windows/DOS or a Linux/Unix system for extracting the files from Windows and for building the new system.
The following functions need further inspection:

What boot system to use? Booting from a Windows CD is possible, but building a new bootable CD is better. The ERD could be used.
If we only have Linux how can we build this ERD. The necessary file are installed with Windows in the directory EBD and should be somewhere in the CAB files on the Windows CD. Copy them to disk is easy, but how to do a "sys a:" from within Linux?

Well, I booted Dos 7 (from 98se) on my hard drive with Dosemu 1.1.5 as root and executed "sys c: a:". And the resulting boot disk works! You will need a working Dos installed, though. Or at least a boot floppy.

Can we access CAB files from within Linux at all? I have not searched for a tool by now...

You can extract cabs with extract.exe (from windir\command, or it can be found on the windows install cd, too). Seems to work perfectly with both Dosemu and Wine under Linux.

-Eemeli