Hi all,

I have an old C/C++ compiler suite from Zortech, formerly Zorland,
later bought by Symantec, later I think dropped.  I use it under DOS
to compile just one ancient application which still keeps several
businesses running.

Under dosemu I have never managed to compile the entire application,
the closest I ever got was under dosemu 1.1.5, when 80 out of the 81
modules that make up the application compiled.  The remaining module
caused the compiler to cause dosemu to segfault, I think partly as it
is the largest of the source modules at about 197kB.  The next-largest
module of 185kB compiled OK.

The same compiler executables which ran reasonably well with 1.1.5 now
reliably cause dosemu 1.1.99.1 to segfault immediately on running.
They don't even get as far as reading a source file.

There are real mode and protected mode executable versions of this
compiler, called 'ztcpp1' and 'ztcpp1x' respectively.  Both are .exe
files.  The 'x' model executables of the compiler use a proprietary
dos extender which was at one time available with the Zortech suite,
and later available alone (and somewhat improved) as a product called
called X32.  The source is not freely available but I have a copy of
the X32 product.

The real mode version of the compiler runs but the protected mode
version causes the segfault.  The real mode compiler executable is not
capable of compiling my sources because of memory limitations.

I compiled dosemu with debugging enabled, ran 'dosemu -D+a -o debug'
and ran the two compilers - first ztcpp1.exe and then ztcpp1x.exe -
with no command line parameters, just to get the usual compiler usage
information message.  The resulting debug output is just under thirty-
one Megabytes, so I haven't attached it. :)  It comresses to just under
91kB with bzip2 so I can send it to anyone who's interested, together
with my compiletime-settings and dosemu.conf if required.  This is all
running on an Athlon1300, I can try it on other machines if that will
help, or I can let you have the compiler exectuables, I'm sure Zortech
won't mind.

The following lines might be of interest.

Here are the last lines of the 'debug' file:

Do INT0x21: Using caller_function()
INT21 (0) at f800:4806: AX=6201, BX=1a3b, CX=0000, DX=1208, DS=073a, ES=0b31
int 0x21, ax=0x6201
DPMI: realmode hlt: 0xfc807
DPMI: initializing
DPMI: return to dosemu code for handling signals

The following appears at the end of boot.log:

ERROR: CS selector invalid: 0x0073, type=0 np=1
leavedos(36|0x24) called - shutting down
ERROR: leavedos() called from within a signal context!

It's not a big deal for me that I can't compile this package under dosemu,
so I'm not worried about not getting a reply, but I thought you might want
to know that things in the dosemu/DPMI world still need some attention.

If you want any more information please let me know.

73,
Ged.