Hello.

Eric Becker wrote:
an "ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.1.255" so that it would talk with my network (my server is
192.168.1.12).
Will not work. The IP address you assign
to tap0 is not the IP address your DOS
client has. The way you did it, you got
a separate PtP network consisted of a DOS
client and tap0/Linux, in which case you
have to resort to routing.
To make your DOS session to work inside
your existing 192.168.1.0 network (so that
the broadcast can work, ARP etc), you must
not assign any IP address and netmask to
tap0, and set up the bridging to some interface
which also doesn't have an IP address.

However, the first set of
instructions for TUN/TAP support instruct the user to "Configure the DOS network clients to have another IP address within the same domain". I'm a bit confused as to what will need to be loaded on the dos client in
order for it to network.
That depends on a client. If it is supposed
to work with the packet driver, nothing
needs to be loaded, since the packet driver
is built in. If it works with NDIS, you'll
need a PKT->NDIS remapper, etc. You have
to figure out that yourself, since again
this is unrelated to dosemu, but is most
likely written in the docs of a software
you are trying to run.

So then with the above setup I will only be able to communicate with the machine I'm running dosemu on?
Yes, or resort to an IP routing (which
is not what you want).

But in order to communicate with the
rest of th 192.168.1.x subnet I will have to bridge tap0 with another
ethernet device (i.e. eth0)?
Yes.

And then the dosghsrv can recieve requests
from the ghost clients to broadcast the ghost images via multicast?
Yes, but the bridge must be transparent,
ie. no IP address for tap0 neither for eth0.
Removing the IP address from eth0 however
will mean that while the DOS client will
be visible in that subnet, the linux box
will not - it will became a transparent
bridge. In case you need the DOS client to
communicate with the rest of the subnet, and
*also* with the machine where dosemu is
running, then you'll have to use a very
tricky technique. Hope you don't need that:)