Hello.

Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
Yes, I am aware of the MIDI support in Dosemu, but I thought it was only for General Midi compatibility.
No. On the software synth side, midid
have the -m option which will give you
some basic mt32 support.
As for the directly passing the midi
stream to the wavetable - this is also
possible and described, and will allow
you to use your AWE synth fully, provided
it all goes via the mpu-401 in a
pass-through mode (almost always this is
the case).
So you can try and see if there are any
differences with what you now have - there
shouldn't be, but you won't need root,
which is very important in some cases.

Sounds great! I'll watch the Dosemu
development and try things out when they get released :)
Well, the primary goal is to design the
very simple but robust sound subsystem
from zero, so that it won't depend on
OSS, but can work also with ALSA and
anything, and so that it can work with
many more DOS progs than the current one
does. But the OPL3, again, is not in the
list of the primary targets:)
Of course porting the MAME OPL3 emulator
to the planned sound system must be easy,
but we'll see where this all will end up.
It will probably take some time before
something can be released though - the
main problem is that the current code
also happened to work somehow, and the
replacement is possible only when the new
code matches the current one in the
functionality, which can take long enough.