Hello.

Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
to have both at the same time. My laptop does have hardware mixing, but it isn't very fast (Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM), so I don't know how fast a softsynth will work.
Softsynth involves timidity++,
which requires ~P4 by default,
but can be tuned even for 386
I think.

Yes I noticed your pc-speaker driver in ALSA :)
Yes, but the kernel interface
for it is still not in the kernel,
thats the problem.

Is the goal really to get full sound and music from Dosemu through a plain pc-speaker?
The goal is to make it compatible
with the modern sound systems like
alsa, and with the cheap soundcards
without the HW mixing and midi. The
pc-speaker, being the one of such a
cards, will work just in case, but
for me it is probably more important
than any other cards out there:)

I understand the current OPL3 modules aren't suitable to be used in this case?
Of course.

I personally indeed do not really care about needing root access, so a working solution using $_ports would work for me. Would you recommend sending an e-mail to the ALSA mailing list about this?
About that the $_ports doesn't work
very well for the native OPL3? I
don't think they'll help here.