Linux-Networking Digest #498, Volume #10         Mon, 15 Mar 99 00:13:52 EST

Contents:
  networking with 3c905B-TX (Kent M Pitman)
  Re: in.telnetd problem (mist)
  Re: Deleteing IP Aliases (Robert Sills)
  Re: Firewall and proxy (Akira Yamanita)
  SuSE 5.3 and diald problem (Scott W. Petesen)
  Searching daemon that support RPL ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ipfwadm & Diald (Gillian Gardner)
  Re: New to Linux - Please Help!!! ("Jase")
  Redhat 5.2 on a Tecra 8000 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PPP doesn't work! (bklimas)
  Re: PPP Troubles (bklimas)
  Re: PPP doesn't work! (Carlisle Branch)
  Re: Trouble with ping ("Michael D. Cencula")
  Re: FTP problems - possible ipfwadm problem? ("Michael D. Cencula")
  Re: Sextuple Boot (DaZZa)
  Redhat (Glenn Graham)
  Re: Sextuple Boot (garv)
  Re: HAVE I BEEN CRACKED? (ray)
  Re: NFS performance (Bill Hay)
  Re: Sextuple Boot ("Martin Ozolins")
  RH 5.2 PPP working fine, but still a little clueless (Richard Stovall)
  Re: HAVE I BEEN CRACKED? (Vince Filby)
  Problem - installing ethernet adaptor driver (Stephen Anderson)
  Re: IP Masqurading? Please Help (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Deleteing IP Aliases (Delian Delchev)

From: Kent M Pitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: networking with 3c905B-TX
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:58:16 GMT

Sigh... I don't know where to start, so I'l just dive in:

I am having no end of problems getting Linux to work with a 3c905B-TX
board.  The driver seems to guess IRQ 255, which loses.  I hand patched
it to repair it to a fixed value (11) rather than lose with 255, and
that got the card to work talking to itself, but it still doesn't talk
to the rest of my ethernet even though the card works fine with Windows 98.
I tried the driver from the 3com site and it works just as badly.

I also patched past the weird problem with the parse error in the driver
where it seems someone put a \ at end of line in the conditional for
ioremap and iounmap things but my compiler doesn't like it.  (I just
put the definition bodies of those up on the previous line and it quieted
down... does that work?)

I've built about a zillion kernels now with all kinds of things included
and excluded, with the driver in the kernel and modular, with various
options values specified, etc.

I only want this card to behave at 10Mbs, which may be part of my problem.
There are other machines on my net that I can't upgrade, so the 100mbs
stuff is for the future.

I'm presently up against a problem where ifconfig thinks the board is
there but it times out trying to talk to it.  (arp says it doesn't get
as far as knowing the ethernet address of any other host.)

I'm a little puzzled about whether the io address could be an issue.
it's giving it an io address of 0xf880, which looks awfully high
compared both to the examples and to the number it gets under win98
(2880).  But I can't figure out how to set another address...  One
thing I don't seem to be able to do is to say irq=xxx or io=xxx
anywhere.  And figuring out what the options=xxx values for
conf.modules is a mystery to me.  I think I'm presently using
options=0.  It types out that it's using 10Mbs as a media override,
which was half my battle, but not enough to win.

I've been conversational in this message rather than pasting transcripts
because there are so many pieces of debugging data I could supply I don't
know where to start--and because with the machine cut off from the net,
it's hard to send the mail from there.  I can provide additional info
if there's someone out there willing to read it and offer hints. Just
tell me what you need.

This is on a Compaq 2266 with two PCI boards--this board I'm grumbling
about and a netgear board that I've installed but not enabled which I had
a different set of problems with. (Sigh)

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to try?  This is just a
very expensive paperweight if it doesn't talk to the net.

I wish vendors didn't think saying "I need this to work on linux." was
synonymous with "It's ok not to support me."

Btw, does anyone know how to capture the startup messages? dmesg doesn't
get them all, and some valuable info scrolls off the screen pretty fast
at system startup.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: in.telnetd problem
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:56:34 +0000

JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -

>    I am runnning kernel 2.0.33 and everything seems to be okay, with
>the exception of the in.telnetd daemon. Incoming telnet calls are
>systematically rejected, but if I telnet to myself it works all right;
>i.e. I get the prompt and can login with no problems.

Most probably your /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow files are
denying telnet access.  Check them.  In /etc/hosts.deny you can use

ALL : ALL

then in /etc/hosts.allow put the services you want to allow and the
machines that you want to let access them, e.g.

ALL : LOCAL
ALL : youripaddress
in.telnetd : ipaddress of the machine you want to let telnet in
in.telnetd : ALL

(The last line would allow any machine to telnet in, provided firewall
rules aren't rejecting the attempts.)

If incoming telnets are slow (and you're not running a nameserver),
check your /etc/hosts and make sure at least your own IP is defined in
there, possibly the machines you know too.

--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: Robert Sills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Deleteing IP Aliases
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:14:15 -0500

ifconfig eth0:0 shut the interface down, which is a good thing.  I am
really hoping to remove it from the list of interfaces all together.

Robert Sills    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewall and proxy
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:22:31 GMT

http://www.whatis.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott W. Petesen)
Subject: SuSE 5.3 and diald problem
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:32:38 GMT

We have a linux acting as an email server for an office full of win95
clients running eudora for email client.

When sending mail to a local user diald kicks in and eudora hesitates
until diald makes its connection and resolves "something".

I know the usual fix for this problem is to enter all the clients ip
addresses in the /etc/hosts file which I have, I also have the linux
server ip address in the win95 c:\windows\hosts file.  Still diald
connects when sending a local user mail.

I know the fix for other distributions, slackware for example, I guess
there is something with suse that is different.

Please help.

====================================
Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
Web Page:  www.wwa.com/~scooter
Elgin, IL - USA
ICQ 8287204
Packet E-mail:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
====================================

PLEASE note e-mail address is scooter @ wwa.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Searching daemon that support RPL
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:40:21 GMT

Although bootp is better choice, RPL is more popular in past years,
but it seems mars-nwe does not support it, is it right?
Has any other daemon support diskless workstation with RPL bootrom?
If none, where can find enough information to write a patch for
Mars-NWE to support RPL?

From: Gillian Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipfwadm & Diald
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:10:47 -0800

------------------------------

From: "Jase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux - Please Help!!!
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:13:44 +1100

If you can't ping the local address then the network card module hasn't been
loaded properly, which is often a case of incorrect IRQ and IO information
(?). I use a 3C509 card at home and it seems to configure fine
automatically, but you may want to try entering specific values for the IO
and IRQ.

To see if the network card module is working try this:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network status

alternatively, try

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

If the response to this is "Ethernet Module Delayed" or something like this,
then you need to correct the network card settings.

Hope this helps. I'm not that great with Linux yet, so I also hope I'm not
completely wrong!!!

Jase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on a Tecra 8000
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:22:11 GMT

        Greetings....

Has anyone had any luck getting a Realport REM56G-100 Card working on
a Toshiba Tecra.  The OS sees the card and I get a link light and can
ping the card.  When I try to ping my default gateway, I get no
response...(very weird)

Has anyone run across this problem before...??

I am running a Generic Redhat 5.2 Kernel...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Mike Himelstein
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: bklimas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP doesn't work!
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:29:37 GMT

Jack Zhu wrote:

> Linux 2.2.1
>
> Kflex 56+v.90 external modem
>
> After dial up to the ISP server, it seems that it disconnect by itself
> within 5-10 seconds.  I can never do "ping" to test, 'cause always failed.

Just a thought. Maybe you have a wrong authentification protocol. Maybe
it should be terminal based instead of pap or chap, or whatever you use?

Try my homepage:

http://www.magma.ca/~bklimas/FAQ.htm#ppp_setup

for some other info on ppp setup.

> Linux PPP was used to be work under my internal 33.6 modem. And I use the
> same scripts, such "ppp-on".
>
> What's the problem? Any suggestion??!!
>
> BTW, what's difference between "/etc/cua0" and "/etc/ttyS0"?

Your modem dials so this question seems immaterial here. (I understand
you mean /dev/cua0 and /dev/ttyS0?)

> Can I use both of them in my scripts?
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
>
> Jack

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Stan

------------------------------

From: bklimas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP Troubles
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:34:22 GMT

Try my homepage for some info on how I set up my ppp:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlisle Branch)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:45:24 GMT

make sure you have a "modem" cable and not just a serial cable ---
with the serial cable you will get the AT --- OK response and you can
dial, but you will then get disconected.

------------------------------

From: "Michael D. Cencula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with ping
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:52:39 -0500

What machine has the connection to the internet, the linux box, or one of
the two home machines.  Which machine are you trying to ping from?  Give
some more detailed info.

------------------------------

From: "Michael D. Cencula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP problems - possible ipfwadm problem?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:02:24 -0500

Liz Froggett wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

-snip-

>When
>I try and ftp from netscape on the Windoze box, the Saving location gets
>to 99% and then just sticks. If I cancel then the file is deleted.
>I have only noticed this problem with ftp since I started using ipfwadm,

-snip-

Did you insmod ip_masq_ftp?

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Sextuple Boot
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:51:00 +1100

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Martin Ozolins wrote:

> I use OS2 boot manager to boot the following:
>
> NT40WKS
> NT40SVR
> Win95
> OS2 v4
> DOS 6.22 (For Gaming)
> LINUX (for laughs)

Bully for you.

I use LILO to boot to the following.

Linux {for serious, crash free networking}
NT Server {for those times when only junk will do}
NT WS
DOS 6.22
Netware 4
Netware 5
Solaris 2.7
OS/2

Your point is?

DaZZa

------------------------------

From: Glenn Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:04:17 -0800

Not to be a critic but.. why is it, so many people are in here
complainning
of problem with redhat, that would be a breeze to figure out in
slackwware ?

inTEXT Communications Vancouver BC Canada
Linux - Unix - Bsd - Programming /Perl / c++ / Java
System Administration - Unix System Security
http://www.intextonline.com
PGP Key available at : http://www.intextonline.com/pgp.htm

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:22:05 -0800

william stewart wrote:

>         After having tried to install NT 4.0 on a slave drive by
> switching the boot

Sounds like the perfect candidate for removable drives ("mobile racks.")

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:00:08 -0500
From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HAVE I BEEN CRACKED?

I am with you. Some people let the arrogance get ahead of them and forget that
stuff they do gets
left behind.... I found out some stuff by doing a check that does this.... <use
you for example>

find / -name ".*" -exec grep '<whatever>\.1' \;

or
cd /home
for name in `ls`
do
    if [[ -d $name ]]
    then
            echo "Checking ${names} dir"
            cd ${name}
            find ./ -name ".*" -exec grep crack \;   ## the grep can be for
crack, move, what ever you
                                                                       # think
is nessary.
    fi
        cd /home
done

Also I have on the important machines a statement that will mail me when
someone loges in to my machine. It will also mail me for every mail connection
and what ever.
This way I can <If the ip is unknown> login and take a look.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Hay)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: NFS performance
Date: 14 Mar 1999 09:35:49 GMT

Summary of NFS performance:
Thanks to Chris Wilson,Matthew Kirkwood and Iain Georgeson for their
replies

The kernel enhancements to support NFS have indeed been carried forward
into 2.2.
When used with knfsd ( http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~gam3/knfsd/) it
provides a significant speedup compared to the earlier user space
NFSD but is slightly unstable.
This does not solve the speed problem with Solaris clients which is
largely due to interaction with the Soalris client rather than the
lack of kernel support.
Further NFS enhancements (write gathering) are available in the
ac series of kernels.

--
Humorous Quote

------------------------------

From: "Martin Ozolins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:40:27 -0800

My point was that any of the boot managers are probably capable of this,
given a reasonably intelligent operator.

------------------------------

From: Richard Stovall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 5.2 PPP working fine, but still a little clueless
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:53:45 -0800

I am running RH 5.2 with kernel 2.2.3.  I built the new kernel with no
problems and everything seems rosy.  My problem is that the only way I
know how to initiate a ppp connection is by running netcfg as superuser
and "activating" the ppp0 interface from there.

This works fine but is a little klunky.  Can someone please tell me how
to dial up my ISP from the command line as an ordinary user?

Thanks

RS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vince Filby)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix
Date: 15 Mar 1999 05:09:00 GMT

Once upon a time, ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled:

        The su to nobody should happen everynight at about 4:00am, I was
worried at first on my machine then I realised it was a cron job, or system
process that is set to run at that time.

- Vince

>I am with you. Some people let the arrogance get ahead of them and forget that
>stuff they do gets
>left behind.... I found out some stuff by doing a check that does this.... <use
>you for example>
>
>find / -name ".*" -exec grep '<whatever>\.1' \;
>
>or
>cd /home
>for name in `ls`
>do
>    if [[ -d $name ]]
>    then
>            echo "Checking ${names} dir"
>            cd ${name}
>            find ./ -name ".*" -exec grep crack \;   ## the grep can be for
>crack, move, what ever you
>                                                                       # think
>is nessary.
>    fi
>        cd /home
>done
>
>Also I have on the important machines a statement that will mail me when
>someone loges in to my machine. It will also mail me for every mail connection
>and what ever.
>This way I can <If the ip is unknown> login and take a look.
>
>B.K. DeLong wrote:
>
>> Juergen Heinzl wrote:
>>
>> > Do not worry, most people on the Net are not after you and
>> > the ones who are do not leave logfiles around.
>>
>> I'd be inclined to disagree. Every hacker is different. I had a bunch of
>> script kiddies hack into a machine and they stopped the "mesages" file from
>> logging, and emptied all the logs, leaving the files there but empty.
>>
>> I was able to figure out that the machine was hacked when I checked the
>> "last" log and saw an account that should have not been logged into since
>> July 1998. Since January, there's had 300 logins. I checked the account and
>> found BNC, an IRC proxy running....

           Computing and Information  Science @ University of Guelph
      Vince Filby - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://flby.ml.org - UIN: 4197137
                 "Kline bottle for sale...    Inquire within."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Anderson)
Subject: Problem - installing ethernet adaptor driver
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:52:51 GMT

I am trying to install my Lantech FastNet/TX ethernet adaptor in my
Red Hat 5.2 system.

I contacted Lantech technical support requesting a linux driver for
the card and they have sent me a Realtek driver for realtek's rtl8139
ethernet adaptor.

I followed all the instructions for installation of this driver, but
when I try to insert the driver as a module using the command:

$ insmod rtl8139.o

I get the error message:

"rtl8139.o: kernel-module version mismatch.  rtl8139.o was compiled
for kernel version 2.0.29 while this kernel is version 2.0.36"

I only have this file, not the source code (I think).  Now this may be
a dumb question, but is it possible to decompile this file and
recompile it to match my existing kernel, or is there a another way to
overcome this problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated

***NOTE**********************************************
Remove n0_sp2m from my reply address if sending email
My address should read "dechah at bigfoot dot com"

Cheers

Stephen Anderson
Melbourne
Australia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.ps.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: IP Masqurading? Please Help
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 18:05:49 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, Glenn Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Wrong wrong wrong.
>Linux kernels do not come with everything installed.
>Anyone who's going to learn unix ( sorry linux ) had better as hell
>learn a little about c code and compiling the damd kernel.

Generalized statements and advice about "Linux" as a single entity are
often incorrect.  Different distributions can use different methods.

In Red Hat's case, a LOT of common functionality is indeed installed in
the default kernel, including IP Masquerading.

>I had to.. and very few people took any pitty on me what so ever when
>I was learning this O/s five years ago.

People need to learn -- in that regard I agree with you.  But IMhO it
is better to provide information tailored to a user's specific needs
and desired goals than to toss out some generalized advice which may
be overkill for that user's current needs.

I'm not suggesting that people get their hand held.  IMhO, under Linux
you need to learn how to swim sooner or later.  But in those instances
where a tool is already installed or configured, having them reinvent
the wheel is counterproductive, IMhO.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: Delian Delchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 05:59:33 +0200

Robert Sills wrote:

> Does anyone know how to delete IP aliases on Linux?  More specifically,
> 2.0.x Linux (kernel) for a Redhat distribution 5.x.  I can create the
> easily enough, ifconfig eth0:0 10.10.10.10, but I also need to be able to
> delete the as easily.  Any Ideas?

use ifconfig eth0:0 down

--
Delian Delchev