Linux-Networking Digest #498, Volume #12          Tue, 7 Sep 99 15:13:52 EDT

Contents:
  Xylogics serial board (Bruno Quesnel)
  Re: HELP: NFS across Router? (Steve Heaven)
  Re: ppp problem (Clifford Kite)
  Re: color telnet client (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  RH6.0 ppp/modem config blues (Warren Nisley)
  Re: Connect to ISP, then nothing happens??? (Bill Unruh)
  Samba shares and Win98 (=?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Markmann)
  Re: ppp problem (Bill Unruh)
  ppp ("Manoj Kotak")
  Re: delayed telnet or FTP from Windows98 box to  red hat linux 6.0 (Yves Thommes)
  eth0 buffer full error (Kenneth Mankoff)
  Re: D-Link DFE 530TX ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  KPPP Causes X display to Lock (Linux Hacker)
  DNS Problem:secondary Nameserver (Marco Ritthaler)
  Re: Can you send e-mail to an IP address? (Doug DeJulio)
  Re: Problem getting direct serial PPP connection from WinNT to Linux (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Linux & Stollman ISDN adapter (Clifford Kite)
  firewall ("Volkan Yavuz")
  Re: DNS problem with ipchains. (Mathieu)
  Re: DHCPD - how do I make the daemon listen on only one of two Ethernet  (Tom Eastep)
  linux as an ISDN router ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: changing passwd from windows ("Michael Ju. Tokarev")
  Learning Linux and Networking? (Trilo)
  Re: Lingering sockets ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do you create a hard link? ("Joseph K. Vossen")

From: Bruno Quesnel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Xylogics serial board
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:11:27 -0400

Hi.

    I'm part of a Ham radio club and we received a gift....  A xylogics
annex micro els.  This piece of hardware permits to plug 16 serial ports
and making them available to the network...

    The only problem, is that we don't have any documentation about this
peice of hardware and no software.

    Has any one worked with this model or something similar and would
provide some explication on how to access each ports....

Thanks in advance......

Bruno Quesnel
Electrical Engineering, Montreal

------------------------------

From: Steve Heaven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: NFS across Router?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:09:24 +0100

Herbert Haas wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> My NFS server is not reachable from systems on the other side of the router.
> Is there anything to keep in mind for such cases?
>
> the following figure illuszrates this simple problem: the client cannot mount
> the exported directories of the NFS server. But systems on the subnet of the
> Server _CAN_ access these directories.
>
> NFS-Server ------------------ Router --------------------Client
>
> The client tells me: "rpc timeout"

Sounds like you are filtering port 111 in the router.

Steve

--
thorNET  - Internet Consultancy, Services & Training
Phone: 01454 854413

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: ppp problem
Date: 7 Sep 1999 10:47:39 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have this problem when I try to connect to my ISP, the modem dials, made
> the handsheiking and once the string "CONNECT" is showed it hangs

> the log file:
> pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
> pppd: couldn't find any secret (password) which would let it use an IP
> address.

Pppd is requiring the ISP to authenticate itself to you, unfortunately the
ISP that will do so is as rare as hen's teeth.

Do you use the pppd "auth" option?  Remove it.  Do you have a LAN default
route set up and use ppp-2.3.9?  Remove the LAN default route, or use the
"noauth" option if you are overriding the LAN default after pppd connects.

Other options such as require-pap or require-chap or +pap or +chap may
trigger this problem.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* My confidence in this answer (X), on a scale of 1 to 10:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: color telnet client
Date: 7 Sep 1999 15:49:47 GMT

In article <738B3.60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, T.E.Dickey wrote:
>P.Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> tofu wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way to telnet into a linux machine from a Windows client and
>>> get the pretty colors that ?ls -color? normally gives?  I?ve been
>>> searching for a telnet client that will do this but I?m wondering if
>>> it?s even possible.
>
>MS telnet doesn't do colors

Has anyone done an xterm for Win32?  ISTM this would be a profitable
shareware item.  I'd buy it.
Not an X server in a window for Win32, there are a bunch of those, and
their select and paste doesn't work between them and the Windoze desktop.

Cameron

------------------------------

Subject: RH6.0 ppp/modem config blues
From: Warren Nisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:51:11 GMT

I've been having trouble configuring ppp access on a Micron Millennia laptop.
I have a 3com 3cxm556 modem which worked on the same pc using RH5.2.

I've configured ppp within linuxconf, but when I go to activate the ppp interface I
don't hear the modem dialing and I don't see any messages in the logfile after the
initial messages.

How do I go about debugging this?

thanks,

--
W a r r e n   N i s l e y
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Connect to ISP, then nothing happens???
Date: 7 Sep 1999 16:31:27 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Don Chorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>The first address seems to be bad - no domain.  The second nameserver
>is dns.cns.net.  These are nameservers for kvi.net:

>kvi.net NS NS1-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET
>kvi.net NS NS1.TRITON.NET
>kvi.net NS NS1.kvi.net

If kvi.net is your ISP, then youneed the IP addresses, not the names.
(the names would need to be resolved to an IP for which you would need
the nameserver, but since it is the nameserver name you are trying to
resolv, you would be stuck)
nameserver  209.172.28.4
nameserver 206.228.179.10
nameserver  209.172.0.5
would be in your /etc/resolv.conf

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Markmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba shares and Win98
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:20:40 +0100

Hello,

I have the following problem with the Win98 clients accessing a samba
share:

First time the Win98 computer is rebooted the "login" for the samba
share works properly. But the second user who tries a login fails. Only
after rebooting the Win98 client, a next login is possible.

Does anyone know a solution for this problem ?

Juergen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 7 Sep 1999 16:25:11 GMT

In <7r0cvb$6v6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have this problem when I try to connect to my ISP, the modem dials, made
>the handsheiking and once the string "CONNECT" is showed it hangs

>the log file:
>pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
>pppd: couldn't find any secret (password) which would let it use an IP
>address.

a) put the option
noauth
into /etc/ppp/options. It sounds like you have a version of pppd which
enforces the auth option by default (or you have the auth or +pap or
+chap or require-pap or require-chap as an option-- don;t)

b) set up proper debugging and let us knwo what the debugging file says
in detail and completely.
(see
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for a step by ste guide to conecting and debugging)

------------------------------

From: "Manoj Kotak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:26:30 +0530

Hello.

I installed Redhat 6.0 from chip-india special magazine , & followed the
steps written in that for connecting on to Internet.  Everything goes fines
like entering of login name password ppp which is required by my ISP & kppp
gives message connecting to network after appx. 45 seconds it gives messae
ppp deamoned unexpectedly expired In log reports  IT SHOWS SHIGHUP & modem
hanup etc. No idea about the exact problem.

Can someone guide me step by step procedure to connect to Internet using
linux.

I am also looking out for setting up my own BBS using linux.

Waiting for help.

Thanks.

manoj kotak[SYSOP]
<< Image Online BBS >>
http://business.vsnl.com/ionline

------------------------------

From: Yves Thommes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general
Subject: Re: delayed telnet or FTP from Windows98 box to  red hat linux 6.0
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:52:04 +0200

it's a problem with the gateway settings, the linux box is trying to access the
gateway adress which may be down

check your /etc/sysconfig/network script file or your corresponding
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xxx file for a GATEWAY= entry and maybe also
a GATEWAYDEV= entry, if you find those entries then remove them.

now you won't be able to connect to the internet or subnets through your linux box
anymore, hope that you didn't have these before.

If you have an internet connection on your GATEWAY adress then it will only delay
your telnet/ftp connection while the internet connection is down (dial-up...). In
this case DON'T remote the GATEWAY entries from any file

there you go

Yves

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:39:17 -0600
From: Kenneth Mankoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0 buffer full error

Hi everyone,
  i have DHCP protocol on eth0, that worked fine for a day and a half.
Now, whenever the pcmcia card is plugged in, i get the following message
splated to the screen, whenever it wants (i.e. at the login prompt
sometimes, where i should be typing a password, the following appears)

eth0: Tx Ring full, refusing to send buffer

(using RH6.0) linuxconf produces errors whenever i try to change anything
with eth0. I have it down to the following script:
/etc/rc.d/inet.d/network this script cannot change the state of eth0
becuase of the above full buffer (i assume). Anyone experience this?
Anyone know how to clear a buffer. I don't want to write assembly or
low-level c, the only way i know how to work with ports and buffers and
such.

thanks,
  ken.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE 530TX
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:38:43 GMT

hi raghu
I am quoting this from memor... Make sure that via-rhine.o (module for
530TX) is in the modules. Now run linuxconf, for the ethernet interface
add via-rhine.o as the module name.
ramana

------------------------------

From: Linux Hacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: KPPP Causes X display to Lock
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:35:09 -0400

Hi,

I have just upgraded my AMD K6-2 400Mhz to a SuSE-6.2.  I have an ATi
Xpert '98 Video card.  The video setup is set to a 1280x1024 32bpp.
When I launched the KPPP, I could still launch any X-apps before the
KPPP makes a connection.  Once the KPPP established a connection, no
more X-apps can be launched.  However, if I set the display with "xhost
+" before I launched the KPPP, any X-apps can be launched even after the
KPPP has established the connection.

So, what causes the KPPP to lock the X display?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:10:49 +0200
From: Marco Ritthaler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DNS Problem:secondary Nameserver

Sorry for the trouble, but...

I got some Problems with bind.  setting up a name-server for a company.
They want the usual things like
        company.com
        company.de
        company.xyz
..
The primary DNS works as expected.(At least i think so; it gives back
the right IP's if asked) But the secondary DNS's dont get all Domains.
In fact thy get the german,suisse and .com domains, but not the .lu.
Does anybody have any ideas?

thanx in advance

Marco
--
 ________________________________
|                                |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug DeJulio)
Subject: Re: Can you send e-mail to an IP address?
Date: 7 Sep 1999 13:08:55 -0400

In article <7qvu3r$h7o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does all this mean that an dotted quad IP address (which could fit the
>above diagram) can be considered as a domain and therefore a legal e-mail
>address.
>
>To confuse the picture,  The post.office server on my SunOS accepts
>name@IPaddress but
>sendmail on Linux doesn't.

You have just derived the real and true answer.  Just to be clear,
I'll restate it now.

"It depends on what tools you use."

--
Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Problem getting direct serial PPP connection from WinNT to Linux
Date: 7 Sep 1999 11:57:57 -0500

GPusch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> After that, on a serial line analyzer I see the garbage coming from
> the Linux box. But no response from the NT box except the "word"
> "CLIENT" repeated five times.
> Then pppd stops and the NT box shows me an error message box.

> Has anybody any idea how I can get the Linux box answer that "CLIENT"
> message or how I can get the NT box to skip it and start sending LCP
> packets ???

You can probably do it by using chat in a pppd "connect" option with a
single expect/send like   CLIENT CLIENTSERVER  .  Or SERVER instead of
CLIENTSERVER if that's really what's necessary - my thinking CLIENTSERVER
is second-hand from other posts on this subject.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux & Stollman ISDN adapter
Date: 7 Sep 1999 12:27:10 -0500

Zlatko Rek ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Clifford Kite wrote:
> >
> > I'd try fiddling with the asyncmap option, asyncmap 0 and asyncmap a0000
> > would be candidates.  A surprising number of similarly obscure problems
> > are cured this way.

> I've tried these two options, but the problem is not solved. The PC motherboard
> is Intel Livermore (LM440LX) with integrated serial ports. Should I try with
> external IO card?

I don't see why the integrated serial ports would cause a problem.  Here
are some other things to try related to flow control.  Using xonxoff
rather than crtscts flow control.  Reducing the pppd speed option to the
speed of the ISDN line (57600?).

You also might try requesting a smaller MRU with the pppd option "mru 576"
or perhaps even "mru 552".

This is mostly guessing of course, I don't have any definitive answers
for stalling problems.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* On occasion you'll run into an attidude on usenet.  They contribute

------------------------------

From: "Volkan Yavuz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: firewall
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:49:43 +0300

Hi All,
I want to use Linux (Redhat 6.0) as Firewall Server.For this reason i'll
ipfwadm program .I'll be connected to internet with eth1 ethernet over
router and to LAN with eth0 ethernet.My qeustion is if it's necessary to
make ip forwading between these ethernet (eth1 and eth0)cards.If I do
that,is it possible to be security problem ?.
Thanks inadvance.

------------------------------

From: Mathieu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS problem with ipchains.
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:50:10 +0200

The rules for the loopback were specified though i didn't said it :-(
But Emmet Ford give me the answer:
    - i put 1025:65535 for user ports
    - you have to put 1024:65535.
And everything works fine !!
Thanks.

    Mathieu

------------------------------

From: Tom Eastep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCPD - how do I make the daemon listen on only one of two Ethernet
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:46:15 +0000

Wayne Willson wrote:

> I have the Linux box that I use for many purposes (bind, squid, ftp, http,
> ipchains, etc).  The box has two Ethernet interface - one public and one
> private.  How do I tell dhcpd to listen on eth1(private) and not to listen
> on eth0 (public)?
>
> I'm running RH 6.0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne

Pass "eth1" as an argument to dhcpd. This is clear from the man page
("man dhcpd").

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \    are my own and not

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linux as an ISDN router
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:39:58 GMT

I am setting up my linux (RH60) as an ISDN internet router.
All works fine from the linux computer (dial on demand, etc.), but I
have some problems from the other computers on the network.
Linux has interfaces ethernet (eth0 on 192.168.1.2) and ISDN (ippp0 on
192.168.1.99). When I am connected ippp0 gets the local address (say
195.186.100.100) and the default gateway is changed as required from
the /etc/ppp/ip-up script.
If I ping 195.186.100.100 from a computer on my local LAN I get a
response, but I am not able to go further out.

Thank you for any help.

Vincenzo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:17:13 +0400
From: "Michael Ju. Tokarev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: changing passwd from windows

You can try to use Samba for this.
It is not a "web interface", but can change passwords
from within windows's control panel.
And you also can use linux+samba as a file/print server
as well...
Read about "unix password sync" option in samba docs.

------------------------------

From: Trilo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Learning Linux and Networking?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:18:40 GMT

I want to learn Linux and networking from basics to advanced. I am
returning to College in January (last year) and want a good
foundation.

What is the best distribution of Linux to use?

I have Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 installed already on 2 networked
machines. It was a simple install. How much is this different than
using Redhat 6.0?

Any good texts, reference CD's or web pages? Recomendations please.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lingering sockets
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:55:13 GMT

In article <7qr0ao$aa0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7qmase$plp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > The best fix is to get the application modified to set SO_REUSEADDR
>
> Uhhh, no. I think he wants to turn SO_LINGER off so that packets left
over
> on a close are thrown away immediately. See setsockopt(2).

That is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it is a completely
"safe" one (one of those wonderfully subjective terms...) IIRC,
manipulating SO_LINGER will result in a connection with pending
(outbound?) data to be aborted - terminated with RST's instead of FIN's.
Indeed, that would mean there would be no connections sitting about when
the attempt was made to restart the server, but it also means that
TIME_WAIT, an integral part of TCP's correctness algorithms, would be
bypassed.

rick jones

--
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not
want them anyway... :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Joseph K. Vossen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do you create a hard link?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:35:48 -0400

Bob_Deep wrote:

> Norman Levin wrote:
> >
> > WHY OH WHY in linux, is everything symbolically linked?  I can't
> > believe it is because that many people think ls with the '--color'
> > option is that wonderful.  There HAS to be a reason people are
> > wasting an inode on that symbolic link -  but I can't get any
> > reasonable answer on this.
> >

> Perhaps... It's mearly that nobody understands that the I-node is being
> used for the sym link PLUS the fact that most folks are not hurting for
> I-nodes these days...
>
> Really, I think it's because sym links are really more universal.
> Though wasteful, they will ALWAYS work, even if your system has a
> differant partition setup than mine...  Heck, I might want 10
> partitions, and you only think you need 2..  A hard link on your box,
> may not be possible on my box..  So the safe way to do it, if you are
> writing an install script, is to just do the sym link and skip all the
> problems imposed by hard links...

sym links can be used to reference files across other file systems
(mounts) whereas hard links can only be used w/i the same file system.
Therefore, one can have a sym link that points to a file system that is
mounted via the automounter (for example)

The target of a sym link does not need to exist