Linux-Networking Digest #516, Volume #10         Tue, 16 Mar 99 07:13:37 EST

Contents:
  Re: can't ping Linux --> win98 ("Eriksson")
  Samba networking slow on RH 5.2 ("C J")
  Firewall and proxy server for Linux. (APPANAH Ravi)
  Re: 2.2.3 over RH 5.2: DHCPCD problem with Cable Modem (Tom Morris)
  printing with netatalk (Patrik Emilsson)
  Re: Linux diskless station with bootp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Accounting Tool? ("Frank Schiller")
  cable modem (Tri Tram)
  Re: dialup-networking server (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Firewall and proxy server for Linux. ("Frank Schiller")
  3c509b ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: When /etc/resolv.conf is present it takes 1 minute to telnet in ("Quiney, Philip
(EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM10)")
  Anybody using the D-Link DFE-530TX? ("Minh Doan")
  Re: caching only dns & forwarders ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Re: Web based e-mail client for Linux ("Roberto P.Martins Jr.")
  VNC (Iztok Polanic)
  Sherlook failure over netatalk volumens ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IP Masqurading? Please Help ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Re: IP Masqurading? Please Help ("Leopold Toetsch")
  Re: Can anyone tell me howto (Izak Burger)
  Can't make SuSE 5.3 PPP Dial In server for WinNT Work (Dave  Morris)
  Re: Linux diskless station with bootp (John Kenyon)
  Re: identd: NO-USER; What does it mean? (Tom Neilson)

From: "Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't ping Linux --> win98
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:35:21 +0100

>One more thing. I've installed linux (Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36,
(slackware
>wouldn’t install =(( ) on one of the win98 comps. (IP: 192.168.1.3) (The
one
>I'm using right now btw) I tried to ping the other linux box.. no good..
But
>that card does have some lights on it. I'll check they flash next time. I
>haven't got around to ping any other comp on the network yet. I'll do that
>tomorrow.

I can ping the other computers on the network from the other win98/linux
box. So there is not any problem with the netconfiguration. I CAN NOT ping
linux -> linux, btw..

The light flashes when I try to ping any computer on the network from my
win98/linux comp (192.168.1.3) EXCEPT the linux box.. The lights don't flash
a single time when I try to ping to the linux box (192.168.1.4)

>From a diagnostic program I downloaded from 3com (I use a 3c900 NIC) I get
the following information:

When I try to configure the setting from "auto-detect" to "BNC (coax)" I get
the response "Your NIC is not connected to a BNC network" It doesn't matter
how high I shout "Yes it is!!" The comp doesn't get it... When I run the
program to auto-detect the network interface (what type of cable that is
used to connect the the network) I get the same error message.

BUT! The cable works! I've used the same cable to another comp and it woked
fine. The 3com NIC also works. I installed it in my win 98 comp. Works
great!

I've tried different NE2000 NICs in my linux box. But it seems like non of
them works. Can't get an eth0 interface no matter what I try. On my
win98/linux comp the card works fine. The 3com card is the first card that I
can get an eth0 interface with on the older (linux, P60) computer.

I've tried to install win95 on the linux box. But there is conflicts I can't
resolve with win95. BUT I can get network connectivity up an running
temorary..

One thing perhaps worth mentioning is that I can't use the built in SCSI
host on the P60 (192.168.1.4) computer. I have to use a PCI Tekram 390 card
in order to get linux installed!

Thanx!

------------------------------

From: "C J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba networking slow on RH 5.2
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:04:33 -0800

I have setup 2 different RedHat 5.2 boxes and they both are horribly slow
when doing Samba networking with Win9x PC's.  The two servers use an Intel
Pro100 card and 3com 3c905B card and both perform the same.  One is a 300mhz
K6-2 and the other is a 133Mhz K5.  What's up?  Should I run SMB as a daemon
instead of from inetd?  How do I do that?
BTW, I share Corel Paradox 8 databases thru Linux/Samba and every operation
in the dB's are VERY slow.  It takes 10 times longer to do things when
sharing thru samba than with another Win95 machine.  I know Smab should be
faster thatn Windows Networking so what is wrong?

Please cc me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: APPANAH Ravi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Firewall and proxy server for Linux.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:46:20 +0100

Hi !!

I'm looking for a firewall and proxy server software...I don't want to
use Checkpoint Firewall-1 or Microsoft Proxy Server...
I am setting up a linux server. And I want to put a firewall and proxy
server onto.
Could anyone please suggest a good firewall and proxy server packages
that could use?

Thanks in advance...
Regards,
    APPANAH ravi

--
Ravi APPANAH
  Product Validation & Support Engineer

From: Tom Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 2.2.3 over RH 5.2: DHCPCD problem with Cable Modem
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 05:53:21 GMT

I've been running RH 5.2 with @Home for a month now with no problems. Yesterday
my DHCP lease expired and wouldn't renew.After several hours of messing around
and switching back and forth from Linux to Win95 things still wouldn't work
right. I spent 2.5 hours on hold with TCI I got through to a tech  (don't they
have simply great customer service <g>.)  He had me change my Win95 system from
a DHCP to a fixed IP address and all came up fine. He had no explanation - but
said that it really should use DHCP because even though the IP was assigned to
me it could change!

To make a long story short, I changed the RH 5.2 system to my fixed IP address
and everything is running fine again. They are supposed to get back to me with
an explanation as to why the DHCP connection is all of a sudden failing, but I
sure won't be holding my breath.

The other possibility, if it's never worked, is that you don't have the hostname
in the dhcpcd command. It's not there by default in RH so you have to modify the
'ifup' script.

Hope one of these works for you.

regards,

Tom

------------------------------

From: Patrik Emilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing with netatalk
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:57:47 +0100

Anybody that can give me a hint of howe the printcap, .paprc, papd.conf
etc. should look to have lpd printing to an ethertalk connected
laserwriter?
I've succeded setting the netatalk up and I'm able to print to the LW
with the pap command. I though have problems configuring lpd correctly.
My goal is to share this printer with samba.
I'm using RH5.2

I've searched the HOWTO's but can't find the details.

with big hope
/Patrik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux diskless station with bootp
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:51:11 GMT

In article <7cf97j$ajm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Sébastien ROZIER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Hello,
> I'd like to use my old PC as a diskless station for my linux server....
> I think i have to put a boot rom on my ethernet card, and flash it with a
> kernel image...
> Is it right ? will this allow me to boot with bootp ?
> What kind of rom do i have to buy ? what is the way to flash it with the
> kernel ?
> Thanx for your help
>     Seb

  have a look at
    http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot.html or
    http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/

Lothar

From: "Frank Schiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Accounting Tool?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:56:57 +0100

Hi all!

I´m searching for a tool which records IP-Traffic on our Linux-Router and
let me analyse that data (for example: how much traffic from source x.y.com)
over a long time.

Thank you very much for any suggestion
Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tri Tram)
Subject: cable modem
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:58:05 GMT

Ok.  So far, I got the network card working, the linux working, and the
cable modem working.  I can telnet out, ftp out, browse out of the linux
box.  However, after a few minutes, my connection is suddenly lost.
They just cut my connection for no apparent reason.  I have @home cable
as the service provider.  Any ideas why my connection just stops for
no apparent reason?  Thanks for any response.

Tri Tram, Computer Science and Engineering at UCLA
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~tram

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: dialup-networking server
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:45:17 GMT

"Jean-Réginald Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>How can I allow a friend of mine to connect to my network via modem (and
>give an ip address automatically) ? (like when we call an ISP)

You'll need to setup an account and a getty listening to the modem port.
man mgetty

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Frank Schiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: Firewall and proxy server for Linux.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:03:34 +0100

Hi!

I use Squid as proxy-server (squid.nlanr.net)

Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3c509b
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:12:46 GMT

Okay, here's the deal: I recently installed RedHat Linux 5.2 on my computer.
I have a 3com 3c509b, but it doesn't work. I disabled PnP, made sure the irq
and mem address settings are correct, and it still doesn't work The drivers
are all compiled into the kernel. In the bootup, it says "using dhcp for
eth0", then pauses for about 30 seconds, and says "failed." When I try to
ping other computers on my network, it returns "network unreachable." Any
Ideas?

From: "Quiney, Philip (EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM10)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: When /etc/resolv.conf is present it takes 1 minute to telnet in
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:26:26 +0000

C J wrote:

> Whenever I have a Linux machine on the network and try to telnet into it
> sometimes it will take a minute to get a login prompt.  When this happens I
> remove the reslov.conf file and everything is fine.  How can I get these two
> important pieces of networking to work with each other?
This problem is usually caused by the Linux box not being able to
resolve the host name of the machine you are telnetting from. Try
putting the name/ip address of the other machine in the /etc/hosts file.

Depending on how large your network is you could make things easier for
yourself if you make the linux box 'fit-in' with the rest of the network
- ie set up NIS and/or DNS.

For DNS you will need to edit  /etc/resolv.conf to something like...

search mycompany.com   <- whatever is used to generate the FQDN
nameserver 47.101.112.1  <- Your IS people will know this
nameserver 47.101.224.2
nameserver 47.101.144.3

Otherwise try setting up NIS - refer to the NIS-HOWTO.

To change the order that these things are tried - edit
/etc/nsswitch.conf. The order of 'files' 'nis' 'dns' for each service is
the order that is tried when attempting to resolve a name. Putting
'files' first will make it try locally first. Removing 'dns' will
prevent a dns lookup and so on. You can have hours of fun with this....
;-)

HTH

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             Digital PowerLine,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: "Minh Doan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anybody using the D-Link DFE-530TX?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:12:16 -0500

Just wondering if anybody who uses the D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet
adapter with RedHat (I have 5.2) could tell me how they set it up?

I can't seem to find it among the network adapters cards available.

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: caching only dns & forwarders
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:14:28 +0100

Hi,

>Mar 15 17:07:27 cae-linux named[6522]: starting.  named 8.1.2 Thu Sep 24

So you are running named 8.1.2 - then named.boot is obsolete, put your
forwarders and other options to named.conf.

leo

------------------------------

From: "Roberto P.Martins Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web based e-mail client for Linux
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:48:19 -0300

If you find something, please, let me know.

Thanks.

--
Roberto P.Martins Jr.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Iztok Polanic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VNC
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:42:11 GMT

Hello !!!

Has naybody had any luck with starting netscape from vncviewer?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sherlook failure over netatalk volumens
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:38:31 GMT

Hi All!

I install successfully a netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.1 over my linux 2.0.35 box. All
seen to work fine, the server was very fast with huggers performances than a
Apple Box + AppleShare IP.

My problem begin when I try to find files in the volumes shared by my server
to the Mac client. When one of this clients try to find files using sherlook,
the files are shows in the windows correctly but, if you try to click in some
of then to see the path or to open it, the client say something like "It was
not possible to open the file because the file isn't there, maybe some one
have delete it". In this moment sherlook put the file like 'not accessible'
changing the color name to gray.

Some one find this problem ????

P.S. The message is a free translator to english because my MacOS is not in
English so, sure that the original message in English will sound

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masqurading? Please Help
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:24:34 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message and in many Newsgroups (don't)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>ummm, could you please answer your own question?  where can i read
>about file permissions and "setuid" and all that good stuff in a
>format that's understandable and complete?  Thanks!!!

I type "beginner howto" at the htdig-search page and get a bunch of results,
number 6 of 31 is:
DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO-3.html
section 3.3 is Permissions and Ownership

I type "getting started" and 1 of 567 is
Linux Installation and getting started - a big & useful guide from the Linux
Documentation Project (LDP/gs/gs.html)

All of these including apache configured & running came in the box with SuSE
6.0 (might be worth the ~$60 :-)
leo

------------------------------

From: "Leopold Toetsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:35:38 +0100

>By your own admission, it is a fact though. Linux is so unfriendly that
>if its ever to become a 'standard' it will have to be useable by the
>computer 'illiterate' and from what I've seen of the latest offering
>from RH its certainly not that. As someone mentioned in another thread,
>to find the faq's you need to know where they are, and how to read them.

Yes, but that's not very complicated. You would need to know 3 commands at
first:
# locate howto | more

(locate searches all the files ony your linux-box [if it is setup], more ist
selfexplanatory.

You'll get a bunch of lines with the full path of the howto's.
Next you type

# mc
select the apropriate path & file and press F3 - that's it.

>the MAN pages are almost unreadable, full of information but in an
>obtuse style. and there is no mention of how to use the MAN pages in the
>installation docs.

No I find them (almost all of them) very informative.
# man man
gives examples too.

>You are told not to use the root account, but try
>shutting down the system from any account but root without first
>understanding the 'permissions' and changing them, which requires an
>understanding of chmod, and thats when you eventually realise that you
>have to shutdown rather than turn off the machine, after re-installing
>the damn software five times due to turning off rather than shutting
>down.

Might be that you started with the wrong distribution. SuSE 6.0 comes with >
500 pages installation + getting started guide.

>Where is there a description of CHMOD, SHUTDOWN, MAN, NEWUSER, LS or any
>other program in the installation docs. and to read the online docs you
>need to know how to access them.. chicken and egg

Look at other posting.

leo

------------------------------

From: Izak Burger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me howto
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:55:58 +0200

Read the article in the Linux gazzette.  http://www.ssc.com/lg/.  I think
it's somewhere in issue36/37/38, cause I only d/led those 3 recently and
read it last night....

regards
Izak

                                ----==-- _
                                ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __
Microsoft is not the answer.    --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
Microsoft is the question.      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
Linux is the answer: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Note: Mail from yahoo.com and hotmail.com domains will go to a special folder
and my not get read until much later.  I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I
get to much spam from people in these domains.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave  Morris)
Subject: Can't make SuSE 5.3 PPP Dial In server for WinNT Work
Date: 16 Mar 1999 04:07:10 -0800

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get SuSE 5.3 (kernel 2.0.35) to
provide PPPD (2.2.0) dial in support to an NT laptop configured for
dial up networking.

I've tried every combination of NT dial up option and PPPD option
which seems like it might remotely support what I need.

Linux has IP Forwarding set and active. I have no problem dialing
the Linux system, having the call answered and getting a 'sort of'
ppp connection established.  From an operational perspective,
what I see is that from the NT, I can ping the Linux machine using the
IP address and I can also PING another machine on my LAN. This generally
initially, but depending on specific options, often stops working.

I can never ping from my Linux system to the NT.  In that case I get
link errors reported by the NT. Doing anything which requires the NT
to access the DNS (on Linux) fails with the link errors (always on
receive) and after that, the raw ping fails as well. Seems like
compression is getting out of sync or something, but I've tried most
every combination of on/off I can conceive of.

With the debug option set for pppd I get the following syslog
sequence (times/etc edited for compactness):

pppd 2.2.0 started by dwmppp, uid 501
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 204.247.39.49> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 12 06 00 00 00 01>]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 12 06 00 00 00 01>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 0.0.0.0> < 81 06 00 00 00 00> < 82
06 00 00 00 00> < 83 06 00 00 00 00> < 84 06 00 00 00 00>]
 sent [IPCP ConfRej id=0x2 < 81 06 00 00 00 00> < 82 06 00 00 00 00> < 83 06 00 00 00
00> < 84 06 00 00 00 00>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 <addr 204.247.39.49> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
rcvd [CCP TermReq id=0x3 00 00 02 dc]
sent [CCP TermAck id=0x3]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x4 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 0.0.0.0>]
sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x4 <addr 204.247.39.61>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x5 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 204.247.39.61>]
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x5 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 204.247.39.61>]
local  IP address 204.247.39.49
remote IP address 204.247.39.61
found interface eth0 for proxy arp
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
last message repeated 8 times
CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Any clues as to what the message is which is being lost would be
helpful.

--
Thanks,
  Dave Morris

------------------------------

From: John Kenyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:04:43 +0000

Some parts of this were made easier by the fact that I already
had a working dhcpd working on my server which also responds
to bootp requests :)

Sébastien ROZIER wrote:

>     Hello,
> I'd like to use my old PC as a diskless station for my linux server....

I've done this with an old 386SX.

> I think i have to put a boot rom on my ethernet card, and flash it with a
> kernel image...

Nearly but not quite. Take a look at etherboot
<http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/>

This will enable you to create a boot EPROM for a range of ethernet
cards which will then allow you to boot a tagged kernel image over
your network.

While you are trying things out use the instructions to make
a bootable floppy with the EPROM image.

> Is it right ? will this allow me to boot with bootp ?

Using etherboot - yes.

> What kind of rom do i have to buy ? what is the way to flash it with the
> kernel ?

The EPROM type varies with the NIC. I used a 27C64 8K device with
a compressed ROM image.

> Thanx for your help
>     Seb

The remaining steps:

1) Configure your BOOTP server (or DHCP server capable of answering
BOOTP requests). Make sure that the server can tell the client its boot
file name.

2) Make sure the TFTP and NFS servers works on the "server".

3) Compile kernel for the diskless client contains NFS-Root + BOOTP
support.

4) Use mknbi-linux (supplied with netboot - supplied with etherboot)
  to make a tagged kernel image and stick it in your TFTP directory
  (usually /tftpboot)

5) Try booting the diskless client. If all is well it should barf
when trying to mount the root partition.

6) Follow the Diskless Linux mini howto and create a root partition.
Don't forget to edit the startup scripts for the client - you
don't want the client trying to fsck the NFS drives.

7) Hack whatever's neccessary to get the system working.

Big Hint:
8) Use FIPS/PartitionMagic to create some space for a new partition
on the client's hard disk and then use fdisk/mkswap and edit the
client's /etc/fstab to allow the client to swap locally.

This means you don't have swap over the network - IIRC this needs a
kernel hack.

I now don my asbestos suit and await the flames :-)

/John

All replies to ng. .x. becomes x for email

------------------------------

From: Tom Neilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: identd: NO-USER; What does it mean?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:02:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Andrei Lenkei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I've been hacked ; my firewall of all things :( and while trying to
: determine
: what happend I noticed  the following in my /var/log/messages:

: Mar 14 02:30:05 cerberos identd[1136]: from: 206.196.128.4 (
: dnvrpop2.dnvr.uswes
: t.net ) for: 61262, 110
: Mar 14 02:30:05 cerberos identd[1136]: Returned: 61262 , 110 : NO-USER

: I was hacked from msnex.tiac.net an ISP in the Boston area. They
: installed
: Eggdrop (an IRC client) but didn't do much other damage except to cover
: tracks (not a very good job) and prevent others from getting in.
: BTW what is Eggdrop?

: There are A LOT of these messages in the log . I still get them after
: having
: re-installed everything.
: Does this mean that someone is doing a brute-force attack on me?
: Do I even need identd?
: What is it good for?
: Can I deny requests to it from certain hosts?

: Many thanks in advance,
: Andrei

Eggdrop is an IRC bot, written in C.  If you don't know what IRC is,
this is probably not whatever you're looking for!  Eggdrop, being a
bot, sits on a channel and takes protective measures: to keep the
channel from being taken over (in the few ways that anything CAN),
to recognize banished users or sites and reject them, to recognize
priveledged users and let them gain ops, etc.

Please note:
ISPs offer their users access to the shell, most specifically prohibit
Eggdrop bots.

Redirect your ftp ports and close down all services not used or needed.
Send a note to postmaster at that sight identifying what has happened and
ask them to check their tracelogs from the Denver pop server.

--
"Due to financial constraints,
the light at the end of the tunnel