Absolutely not.  Although I have programming skills, I have no clue about
C/C++, which is what the kernel is written in.  It does not hurt to know C
or C++, but it's not a requirement.  As you get familiar with the kernel,
you might (much later) make modifications to the Makefile or some of the
source code (I have done minor changes), but don't be concerned about it
now.

You can compile most kernels with the following steps:
    cd /usr/src/linux     (or where your linux source code is located)
    make menuconfig    (to turn options on and off, or make xmenuconfig for
an X-Windows config to turn options on and off)
    make dep clean bzImage  (assumes you're not making modules, if so use
"make dep clean modules modules_install", then this step afterward)
    make install

** Note when you use menuconfig or xmenuconfig, make sure you are using a
distribution-source code (downloaded from your distribution source like
RedHat, this will have the best options by default turned on for you
already).

Kernel compilation is much simpler with version 2 than with version 1, it's
a lot more user friendly and stable.  Be sure you keep a boot disk on-hand
in case something with the kernel install does not work right (if the kernel
does not install correctly your system may not boot from HD).

Jim Roland, RHCE (RedHat Certified Engineer)
Owner, Roland Internet Services
     "The four surefire rules for success:  Show up, Pay attention, Ask
questions, Don't quit."
        --Rob Gilbert, PH.D.