On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Richard Adams wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Jim Roland wrote:
> > Absolutely not.  Although I have programming skills, I have no clue about
> > C/C++, which is what the kernel is written in.
>
> C++ in the kernel.?
>
> >  It does not hurt to know C
> > or C++, but it's not a requirement.  As you get familiar with the kernel,
> > you might (much later) make modifications to the Makefile or some of the
> > source code (I have done minor changes), but don't be concerned about it
> > now.
>
> One thing i dont understand is why people dont "express" the need to define an
> "EXTRAVERSTION" in the Topdir Makefile, when the option was not there just
> about everyone was screeming for it, now we have that wonderfull option very
> few people advise the use of it. Or thats the way it seems.

The drawback of using ExtraVersion is that a new set of modules have to be
created.  If you are dealing with module code and a new kernel, then IMHO
it's a good idea.  I will admit that people are little bit lazy when it
comes to ExtraVersion, myself included (although I have used it on
occaision).  For a newbie, I didn't even want to cover it just yet.

> > You can compile most kernels with the following steps:
> >     cd /usr/src/linux     (or where your linux source code is located)
> >     make menuconfig    (to turn options on and off, or make xmenuconfig for
> > an X-Windows config to turn options on and off)
> >     make dep clean bzImage  (assumes you're not making modules, if so use
> > "make dep clean modules modules_install", then this step afterward)
> >     make install
> >
> > ** Note when you use menuconfig or xmenuconfig, make sure you are using a
> > distribution-source code (downloaded from your distribution source like
> > RedHat, this will have the best options by default turned on for you
> > already).
> >
> > Kernel compilation is much simpler with version 2 than with version 1, it's
> > a lot more user friendly and stable.  Be sure you keep a boot disk on-hand
> > in case something with the kernel install does not work right (if the kernel
> > does not install correctly your system may not boot from HD).
>
> Another note here, if i may.
> I was taught that when one makes and installs a new kernel do it by hand, IE,
> dont use the make install option "unless you KNOW" your new kernel is ok,
> simply add a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo, this way one keeps his
> old kernel intact and ready to fall back on if ones new kernel fails.

As long as you install once, the old kernel is kept (just renamed), and
one could "cp" the vmlinuz.old to vmlinuz and rerun their boot loader
(lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf assuming the / partition is mounted in /mnt)
and reboot.  I've never had any problems with compiling and creating to
HD, besides I'm using slackware 3.1 on a box (originally kernel v1.2) and
it works fine.

> The way i found to be safest when i was a newbie was 'make zdisk' allowing one
> to boot from floppy keeping the origanal kernel intacht without even using lilo.
> Once the new kernel on floppy has proved itself 'make zlilo' is a good option.
>
> Come to think of it when i was a newbie there were not many other make options
> to choose from. ;-)

Those were the days...  :-P