Hi!

  For compile, no, for compile the kernel you only need do "make menuconfig" or "make
xconfig" from /usr/src/linux directory, and know something about the options you have.
You can read the Kernel-Howto and all documents you can about it.

  For modify the kernel, it's different, for do modifications, the answer is yes, you
need programming skills.

  Best Regards.

                      Jose Luis Alarcón Sánchez.