> >  1) Many inbound TCP ports seem to be disabled now.  Telnet and ftp in
> >     particular.  How do I turn these back on?...
>
> Dont forget, Redhat does install a firewall during the install process, i
> have even seen it get installed when "No Firewall" was clicked.  (My
> fault,!  who knows.)

I have never seen that (nor do I see it now).  Also, I can't even telnet or
ftp from the host to itself:

  frankfurt> telnet localhost
  Trying 127.0.0.1...
  frankfurt> telnet frankfurt
  Trying 127.0.0.1...

  frankfurt> ftp localhost
  ftp: connect: Connection refused
  frankfurt>
  frankfurt> ftp frankfurt
  ftp: connect: Connection refused

I think the listeners are just not running.  Could it be that 7.1 turns off
nearly all of usual inbound TCP ports commonly cracked into?  If so, I
don't know exactly how to turn them back on...

> I wonder if the folloing might help.  Open a terminal, su, then type;
>
> /sbin/ipchains -F
> The -F flushes all chains and the following accepts all.
> /sbin/ipchains -P forward ACCEPT
> /sbin/ipchains -P input ACCEPT
> /sbin/ipchains -P output ACCEPT
>
> Does that help. otheriwse there could be a problem with xinetd.

The above did not help, and yeah, I think the problem is xinetd, but I'm
not exactly sure WHERE the problem is or how to fix it...

> >  2) Netscape won't run anymore under a non-root user:
> >
> >          frankfurt> netscape
> >          Warning: Cannot convert string "courR14" to type FontStruct
> >          Bus error (core dumped)
> >
> >     Seems to run OK as root, however...
> >
> > Ideas?  I'm probably doing something dumb and/or haven't read the
> > appropriate documentation yet or something...
>
> All i can do here is guess, considering it runs as root, then i would say,
> permissions problem.  I would check, (considering the error) permissions in
> the fonts dir.  Like i said, its a "guess".  I hope others will help you
> more on this one.

Yeah, me too.  :-)

I'll check the fonts dir anyway...

Thanks,