Chuck -- You are trying to write the bootloader itself to a partition, You
should at least try writing it to the Master Boot Record to see if that
fixes your problem. To do that, you change the line that reads

         boot = /dev/hda1

to read

         boot = /dev/hda

Second, you are not *explicitly* putting the kernel image in /boot . You
are pointing to it with this line:

         image = /vmlinuz

Now this is *probably* OK; typically, /vmlinux is a symlink to
/boot/linux_something_or_other (the exact name used for the real kernel
image can vary a lot, and I don't recall Slackware's practice here). But
you might double check it. ALso double check that /boot/boot.b (the
second-stage bootloader) is present.

Third, in your other message, you included fdisk partitioning info about
various drives you found. It would be helpful to include (a) the capacity
of the drives and (b) the grometry indormation fdisk reports about what you
quoted. An example of the geometry info, from one of my systems, is as follows:

         Disk /dev/hdc: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
         Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

You need to consider the possibility that Linux and the BIOS see the CHS
structure of the drive differently (since Linux's disk-access components do
not use the BIOS). So what Linux thinks is within 1024 cylinders may be
outside where the BIOS thinks cylinder 1024 is.

Finally, I'm finding myself a bit confused about what versions of LILO do
and do not have the 1024-cylinder limitation. Even an up-to-date LILO
(22.2) comes with docs that continue to talk about this limitation, but
like Richard, I've also read that it is no longer present. In any case, it
might help if we knew what version of lilo you were actually running ("lilo
-V").