Hi Colin.

> New to this list. Could someone outline the possibilities please.
> Problem as below :-
>
> I have a 17Gb HDD. First 5 GB dedicated to Redhat 6.1 and runs an
> ax25 system for a DX cluster and ax25 node system.
>
> Want to try Redhat 7.2 - Tried a second install by creating a new
> 5GB partition. First time it did install, subsequent times it stops
> after 400 mb.  However , the plan was to install this later version
> and run it from the existing Lilo. After ( successfully) installing
> 7.2 and running from a floppy , shut down 7.2 , booted 6.1 to
> include info into lilo.conf , run lilo but of course it cannot find
> files on an unmounted system (7.2).
>
> Questions are :- How to run a second version selectable from Lilo ?
> and are there still problems with installing between 5 and 10 GB
> down a hdd ?. I thought this 1023 cylinder thing had been overcome
> long ago.

The obvious solution would be to temporarily mount your 7.2 partition as
/mnt within your 6.1 partition, but you also need to ensure that each
entry gets a separate root= parameter. That would give you a lilo.conf
something like the following:

===============8<=============== CUT ===============>8===============

boot            = /dev/hda
compact
delay           = 50
install         = /boot/boot.b
map             = /boot/map
prompt
ramdisk         = 16384
read-only
timeout         = 50
vga             = 1

password        = NotLikely
restricted

default         = 6.1

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label   = 6.1
        root    = /dev/hda1

image=/mnt/boot/vmlinuz
        label   = 7.2
        root    = /dev/hda2

Change the password= line to whatever you prefer (and no, that isn't
mine), and also change the root= lines to suit, then mount your 7.2
partition wherever and run lilo to deal with the results.

Best wishes from Riley.