At 08:36 PM 8/17/02 +0200, Matthias Schweinoch wrote:
>while we're on the subject of copying "difficult" CDs: has anyone tried to
>make copies of video CDs? i have several video CDs here which were created
>with win tools such as NERO or WINONCD. i can't get these copied on my linux
>box with the latest X-CD-ROAST... i haven't tried the command line approach
>yet...
>
>but before i get all too much into it: how das linux (cdrecord, mkisofs?)
>handle mixed-mode CDs - i think that's the problem with the VCDs. thank for
>the help.

I haven't actually done this yet,  but I've been reading up on it. VCDs are
not iso format, so they need to be burned with different tools and ripped
(in the same way that one rips CDs and DVDs) rather than read.

There is a (Debian) package called vcdtools that inclues an app called
mkvcdfs. Its man page says the images it creates can be burned with cdrdao
(but apparently not with cdrecord). Someday I'll have the time to try this
out. If your someday comes sooner than mine, and you get this working,
please tell us what the details are.

For ripping VCDs, there is a (Debian) package called vcdimager that
converts the VCD content to regular mpeg.