What kind of system do you need to be able to run a full Linux
distribution including X in a virtual machine? It seems like the
overhead would kill you.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:linux-newbie-owner@;vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Paul Furness
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 8:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RedHat 8

> What does everyone think of RedHat 8.

I have negative feelings about it.

I nuked my workstation and installed RH8.0 from scratch. The
installation was a lot nicer than previous versions, but once it had
installed I found that, for me at least, there was a lot missing. The
window manager had changed again (I'm not entirely sure why). Lots of
apps seemed to be missing, and the impression I got was that a lot of
multimedia stuff particularly had been removed from the default set up.
I did a custom install and still found it lacking a lot of nice
multi-media stuff.

On the flip side, Gnome 2 is nice, and definitely performs better on my
workstation that 1.4. OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 ships with it as well, which
is nice, and the icons look lovely.

I struggled against RH8 for about 3 days before giving up, wiping my
hard disk, and putting 7.3 back on here. That's not to say that RH8 is
no good, and it could be that I was just expecting it to behave in a
different way. I had only minor gripes, really, but in my job of
supporting everyone else in the company, I couldn't really afford to be
messing around with my workstation for hours.

If you aren't particularly used to previous versions of Red Hat as a
desktop O/S, you'll probably not find much fault with Red Hat 8.
Personally, I felt (possibly incorrectly) that the customisations which
I likes were not available, so I stopped using it.

I fully intend to build a second machine (or probably a VMWare virtual
machine) using 8 to give it a proper, fair hearing.

Of course, other people may agree with me, so I might not be completely
wrong... :)

Paul.

--
Paul Furness