You can indeed install pretty much anything. But that starts to get too
technical if aren't technical, and too much hassle if you are technical.
It depends on where you are and what you want. At work, I want to build
workstations for people quickly and efficiently and I need them to work
with basic important functions (office things, email, web browsing) with
the minimum of fuss. I also want to be able to mess around with them if
someone has a specific need (we are a research lab; you wouldn't
_believe_ some of the things these guys want to do...)

I like Ximian. For the most part, Ximian on top of RH 7.3 covers pretty
much all the bases; Ximian covers the holes that Red Hat leaves fairly
nicely. As I have had occasion to comment elsewhere, Ximian evolution is
an _excellent_ mail client. It copes nicely with the huge volumes of
email I get.

P.

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 14:25, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> But you can download the other GUIs right?  And install them?
> Speaking of this, what do you guys think of the Ximian desktop?
>

> On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 07:39, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> >
> > I am stating IN NO UNCERTANT TERNS THAT THERE IS NO GONOME GUI IN RH 8.0 just
> > like ther is no KDE GUI.
> >
> > RH 8.0 uses a new RH GUI which has appears to be 90% Gnome but is not Gnome.
> > (Sorry I forgot the name of the GUI just like I am trying to forget RH 8.0)
> >
> > Frank

> > > Frank,
> > >
> > > Your other post indicates that the personal version of RH 8.0 did a
> > > hatchet job on KDE, but "screwing up gnome" is a bit vague. My
> > > reaction to 7.3 was based entirely on stability issues, perhaps
> > > related to gnome (and a flakey video driver).
> > >
> > > Are you saying that gnome 2.0 in RH8.0 is inferior to gnome 1.4? If
> > > so, do mean you find it unstable or that its functionality is buggy?
> > >
> > > Haines Brown
> >

> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> > the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs
> --
> Regards,
>
> Bryan Simmons
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
>  On Integrity:
>
>  "I'm going to be as good as they let me and
>   as mean as they make me, and they all know
>   that.  I don't ever lie. If I tell you a
>   rooster can fly, get the harness."
>
>    --Burl Cain, Louisiana State Pen Warden
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

--